My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
The word “Pajero” always created a sense of “awe” in me right from my childhood days. In Mumbai one of the places where we could see this was in Bandra as well as Dadar(Sena Bhavan).I always used to feel that this is like a distant dream which I would like to realize it one day. My first car was an Indigo (2003). I have always preferred cars which offer lot of space. Next was Innova(2008) and I was thrilled to drive it for 5 years(roughly 65K driven) and very good condition. So the need to change was really not there but things changed and the need got created. My Father-in-Law once mentioned to me about the accidents which keep on happening on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. That’s when I also started thinking that even my Innova(one below the top end) does not have safety features. Also in the last few years some of the places where I have travelled for holiday the last stretch of 4-5 kms used to be really bad roads and always felt uncomfortable driving on them. More than anything else the innate desire to upgrade to a SUV always existed and it just came out in the OPEN !!So the SEARCH began or shall I say RESEARCH. Top of the mind shortlist FORTUNER, DUSTER, XUV500(AWD),Santa Fe, YETI ,PAJERO & INNOVA(YES FAMILY PRESSURE)

Need to change: Need more safety features & off-roading capability (the 2nd piece had to convince my family a lot)

Innova top end had the safety features so why not a new Innova. This is an excellent car for long drives. Comfortable, Spacious(take a couple of holidays with my parents & in-laws)

Duster: Good reviews. Basic SUV. Good Ground Clearance. Can tackle bad roads but 5 seater

XUV 500: Have driven my friend’s car W6. Good ride. But “Mahindra”? May be some sort of bias. My wife also was not much for it

Yeti: Fantastic SUV. Not driven but saw number of videos demonstrating its off roading capability as well as read a lot of reviews. Lot of the people do not like the shape. I like it. Sat inside it. Very roomy…very good headroom. 5 seater

Santa fe: Good reviews but everywhere it is called the “Soft” off-roader. Again some bias. I wanted something tough & rugged

Fortuner: Natural choice on the shortlist. Tested brand. Thought I could exchange the Innova with them

Pajero Sport: My personal favourite. I somehow liked the new look. Saw so many videos & reviews that it had to be there

Well only 2 qualified for the final shortlist for doing a test drive ie: Fortuner & Pajero Sport. All others did not qualify because 2 of them were 5 seaters. Innova again(not done). Santa Fe new model launch date was later so did not want to wait for that. XUV500 everyone has it so what the heck!

I knew I was stretching my budget for either a Fortuner or Pajero Sport but things fell in to place. That’s when I decided to do the TEST DRIVEs
One of the important things during a TEST DRIVE is to do it back-to-back. This was reinforced by the Pajero people saying that “only then you will understand the difference”

I was very clear that I wanted proper off-roading capabilities. 2 reasons for that:

1.When paying so much money I don’t mind paying little extra and get the complete package and not just show-sha

2.And just in case you are in a tricky situation with your car there is a very good probability that you will come out of it. The confidence that your car has the features of getting you out of tricky situations is the half the battle won

test criteria

1.Driving in bumper to bumper traffic

2.Stability during cornering & high speeds

3.Comfort level in all the 3 rows

4.Driver Comfort level

5.Turning Radius

6.Off roading testing(whatever I can)

7.Overall cabin feel

8.Any special features

Additional factors for final decision making

9.Dealer network

10.FGF: Feel Good Factor

Fortuner/Total Marks = 74

Pajero Sport/Total Marks = 82. Still one part of the mind said “ Go for Fortuner. Tried & tested”.

What really tilted the decision in favour of Pajero Sport were the multiple interactions I had with the dealer in terms of clearing my apprehensions. Lack of network, support from HM(spoke to one of the regional managers), eagerness to sell but still honest with all their answers. In fact one of the dealer manager openly said that Innova is much more comfortable on long rides on flat roads where as Pajero is good not only on good roads but on any kind of road or no road

I took a 2nd test drive with Pajero Sport along with the main manager from the dealer and that was really helpful along with another brilliant young chap from the showroom who knew inside out about the car. They explained the features again. Did some high speed driving & then sudden braking in traffic just to check how the car behaves

One more important thing for all the test drives I had taken the same set of people to get a consistent view/feedback. Vehicle with full load needs to be checked.Last but not the least the detailed review from Iron Rock (the sheer timing of it) convinced me that I am making the right decision.
I am extremely happy to join this forum. Would share my experiences of driving to Kerala in my next update

IMG-20140322-WA0007.jpg

cheers
arichamp

Attachments

Fortuner/Total Marks = 74

Pajero Sport/Total Marks = 82. Still one part of the mind said “ Go for Fortuner. Tried & tested”.

cheers
arichamp
Hi arichamp, Congratulations. Wishing safe and happy miles ahead.

Fortuner 4x2 comes with 5.6m turning radius. I have 4x2AT. Did you test drive an automatic Fortuner? Should have tried an Automatic.

Please post more photos, and driving experiences. How much now on the road? Which insurance, and what are the terms?

Congrats Arichamp! Nice little writeup!
It would help all the Pajero owners on the forum. And we got quite a party now!

Have many a safe miles, be light on the brakes as brake pads have a tendency to wear faster, looking forward to regular updates, congrats once again, very glad the review helped, cheers!

Thread Starter #5
Originally posted by Mathew: Fortuner 4x2 comes with 5.6m turning radius. I have 4x2AT. Did you test drive an automatic Fortuner? Should have tried an Automatic
Did not drive the fortuner automatic as I wanted the 4*4 only. I knew that the turning radius for the 4*2 was 5.6 m. I guess a 8 point difference is not much just that went with my heart for Pajero. So far so good except for a few niggles like the carpet in the middle row coming out got it fixed in the 6 months service. So far have driven 8.5 K kms. Had a small accident that damaged the intercooler so had to use my insurance. I Had taken Future Generali(comprehensive one) all covered including NCB for next year. Total bill for the damage along with replacement of intercooler was 74K. The insurance covered it except for the mandatory deduction & some consummables of total 2.8 K. Future Generali has got a lot of features which is good.I will send a separate note on what all features and the break up.I am getting a FE of 8.7-9.0 in city whereas on highways i have got max 10.4. I have used the 4WD quite frequently on highways.

Last edited by a moderator:
The word “Pajero” always created a sense of “awe” in me right from my childhood days. In Mumbai one of the places where we could see this was in Bandra as well as Dadar(Sena Bhavan).I always used to feel that this is like a distant dream which I would like to realize it one day.
Believe me when I say this that there are very few vehicles/brands the world over that ignite the kind awe and passion that the name "Pajero" does. Here are a few examples:

1. Multiple friends in the defence forces and all of them and their acquaintances exude the same feeling when I go to meet them, be it a city cantt or a BOP.

2. I was at a back of beyond place (ever heard of Rajmilan in MP?) a few weeks ago and was refueling at a single dispenser fuel station in that hamlet and the attendant says "Yeh to Pajero hai, yahan kisi ke paas nahi hai. Raja Sahab ke paas hai bas. Aap kahan se aaye hain?"

3. A Toyota dealership owner (No point disclosing the place or the name): "Sir, very frankly, the Fortuner is better than the Pajero ONLY in the service availability factor, the rest is your call."

4. Numerous friends in the auto industry who tell me the kind of emotions they ve had with the Pajero for decades.

The kind of "Pedigree" the Pajero has, cannot be equalled by mere "Degrees a.ka. technical numbers".[;)]

Had this been a Toyota product instead of a Mitsubishi product, things would have been so different commercially.

Thread Starter #8
The "beast" today was given a lot of personal care & nourishment. Took some time out to try the various "meguiar" products on my beast. Posting some "before" & "after" pictures where i tried out the "leather care" product of Meguiar. It worked & the stains got removed. Also posting some new snaps taken after the cleaning.

URL for snaps: Pajero Sport: Beast Care - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Originally asked by Mathew: Which insurance, and what are the terms?

I took Future Generali insurance it had a tie up with the dealer here and no regrets so far. In fact their service is good and their features are very good. When i had to replace my intercooler(small accident) along with dent removal & painting(total cost 74 K)..they were very prompt in their service.

What i took is as follows:

Basic OD Premium: 23,509 (xferred my NCB bonus of 50% from my previous vehicle)
Basic TP cover : 3,574
Dep Cover : 5,695 (0.25% of IDV)
NCB protection : 4,100 (0.18% of IDV)
Engine protector : 4,556 (0.20% of IDV)
Return to invoice : 5,695 (0.25% of IDV)

Total comes to approx 47 K & with s tax it comes to 52 K

Very very congratulations (not sure if it's how it's said!!) for the beast. Pajero is a very good package and in that segment is always my first choice if the funds fall at place! :biggrin: The thin dealership network has also made it a niche vehicle and a unique vehicle! Congrats once again, can we have some interior pictures as well?

The "beast" today was given a lot of personal care & nourishment. Took some time out to try the various "meguiar" products on my beast. Posting some "before" & "after" pictures where i tried out the "leather care" product of Meguiar. It worked & the stains got removed. Also posting some new snaps taken after the cleaning.
How is your Pajero Sport? No updates on these days?
4x4MT price increased for 4x2AT.

Top Bottom