The Unreliable Chevrolet Sail U-VA

Thread Starter #1
Being residing 20km off Coimbatore and frequent highway runs, our running is normally high. Our current fleet consists of diesel cars from the mighty XUV 500 to the Sail U-Va. Sail U-va is the primary city car and frequent trips to Madurai. THe car has run 38000 kms in about 20 months. Running on second set of tyres after the stock apollo worn out in 30000 kms.
We bought our Sail U-Va diesel in December 2012. In the first 10 days of delivery, two visits to the service station was required, one was for a suspension noise which was rectified promptly. Another was for ABS brakes of the car, it was a recall from company and we were asked to get it done ASAP. My dad was using the car then and he observed wheels locking on hard braking which was better after this visit. Also, this isn’t a car you can take above speeds of 80kph, due to nervous steering which requires a firm hand and a suspension that never feels settled.

Then there were a glow plug warning sign that came up couple of times, which they fixed it saying some sensor was changed. Then it happened. My uncle, aunt and their 6 month old kid + driver were travelling to chennai and when they were 100 kms from their destination the glow plug warning light came up. In another 10 odd kilometres the engine stopped and refused to start. Imagine being stuck somewhere near chennai around 2PM. Chevrolet road side assistance very reluctantly(sunday) came to their aid after almost 2 hours but alas they couldn’t fix it on the spot and the car had to be towed to the service station. In the mean time, the uncle whose house they were going to, drove down to pick them up.They had the car for 5 days and fixed the problem though they couldn’t give any direct reason for the problem.

Our first car was a amby(with matador engine), then we have owned Marutis(Swift D, Esteem D, Baleno), Mahindras (XUV, Verito vibe, Logan), VW Vento, Skoda Fabia and more recently a Honda Mobilio. We have never been stranded in any car except amby, which required constant watering on long drives and after one such refill, dad forgot to tighten the cap. On the move the cap jumped and hit the alternator causing a short circuit and wires burnt luckily in front a electrical mechanic and we were good to go in 2 hours after he installed fresh wires for headlamp and starter motor only. We haven’t faced any such problems in our others cars but for Sail U-va. After this incident, no one was ready to take Sail out of city and it has been 3 months since, we lost all the confidence in the car and tried to sell. But this 1 and a half year old car, bought for 7,10,000 was rated at 3lakhs to 3.5 lakhs for exchange. Sure I could get more from private buyers but it wont be much different from dealer quote. In contrast, my 2008 Swift Vdi(OTR 5.5 lakhs) which ran over a lakh kilometres in 4 years was sold for 4.4 lakhs in a sale mediated by Chevrolet sales advisor.

The same uncle took the car to nagapattinam yesterday and again a warning light came up(not sure if it is the same) on their way back and engine lost some power. Driver took the car today morning and they can only pinpoint the problem after a detailed evaluation and can deliver the car on monday morning. In the mean time, you can get your car serviced. What service? it isn’t for another 7000 kms. Then came the reply that Chevrolet has reduced oil change interval by half to 7500 kms/6 months from the earlier 15000km/1year. I have asked them to give it in writing. While I called up Chevrolet helpline and they also confirmed this new service schedule, to safeguard the engine based on feedback.

This has been the biggest regret for us, as far as car purchases are concerned. Even the Fabia which was at service centre for 45 days waiting for AC compressor never gave us this scare of being stranded. I will never go for a Chevrolet again.

Re: The Unreliable U-Va

Sir,I am Very sorry to listen to this.My Dad's 04' Optra has never given any such trouble since.But It is a Petrol and has run only 57K Kms.Ofcourse he is frustrated with Chevy A.S.S as they don't do their jobs correctly and they are very lazy too.But I don't understand why.I have met many sail owners asking about their cars and they all have said it is very reliable and Chevy A.S.S is OK.You can check it with your local Mechanic.I also heard that they have changed the sercice shcedule.Chevys have very poor resale value in India as most of them are Underrated and People don't even turn for chevys.Only MS,Hyundai and Ford.I feel the problem is wth the fuel pipe,Injectors,sprays,Spark Plug and Timing.Is the car alright now ?? If it has the same problem,Please go to a Mechanic and ask them to rectify for you.Any Mechanic is better than All of Chevy A.S.S Combined !! Thank you

Thread Starter #3
Chevrolet India management is not good in India, the euro 4 fiasco where they tried to sell euro 3 cars as euro 4.

What's shocking is they just increased the service cost two fold silently. 7,500 km oil change interval with synthetic oil is simply ridiculous. I'm sure they couldn't get away with this in other countries.

Sorry to hear about your problems with Sail U-VA.
I personally own a Chevy Beat & I totally agree with the pathetic ASS from Chevrolet.
Though I never had any major problems, but its really difficult to convince about small niggles, which do not reproduce easily. They won't accept problem only based on description.

Personally only major problem I faced was with noisy Fuel Pump. Chevrolet never accepted that its a known issue, though internet is flooded with fuel pump related complaints.
I had to fire a mail to Delhi office to get my problem rectified. Luckily they changed my fuel pump in Warranty.

Thread Starter #8
I posted in the thread now.

Sorry to hear about your problems with Sail U-VA.
I personally own a Chevy Beat & I totally agree with the pathetic ASS from Chevrolet.
Though I never had any major problems, but its really difficult to convince about small niggles, which do not reproduce easily. They won't accept problem only based on description.

Personally only major problem I faced was with noisy Fuel Pump. Chevrolet never accepted that its a known issue, though internet is flooded with fuel pump related complaints.
I had to fire a mail to Delhi office to get my problem rectified. Luckily they changed my fuel pump in Warranty.
I actually had a very good opinion about Chevrolet as a brand. Even our indica never stopped in between journey though it gave numerous problems.

Sail U-va is the primary city car and frequent trips to Madurai. THe car has run 38000 kms in about 20 months. Running on second set of tyres after the stock apollo worn out in 30000 kms.

@ Sail UVa-another unhappy customer here.
Noises from inside the cabin and from rear doors are consistent with every service (they couldnt nail it.or as they say). good to hear about problems @38000 kms (sigh) mine is just at 8000 kms. I think it is the service team to be blamed and not the product alone.

Regrettably, the dividends for maintaining my UVa in superb condition never paid off. Sail UVa (Diesel-2103) gives more problems than it should and i feel Service team are shifting the spares from well maintained cars to worn out cars in the ARAS service center, or just not being careful with low mileage cars and also not ordering new spares from Chevrolet (india)

In the mean time, you can get your car serviced. What service? it isn’t for another 7000 kms. Then came the reply that Chevrolet has reduced oil change interval by half to 7500 kms/6 months from the earlier 15000km/1year. I have asked them to give it in writing. While I called up Chevrolet helpline and they also confirmed this new service schedule, to safeguard the engine based on feedback.

Waiting for the second service check (1 year/7500km) but unsure if ARAS motors service team will really help in getting more information.

This has been the biggest regret for us, as far as car purchases are concerned. Even the Fabia which was at service centre for 45 days waiting for AC compressor never gave us this scare of being stranded. I will never go for a Chevrolet again

our Amby (Nova-2000) didnt give such problems anytime and if so, any mechanic (roadside) could fix the issue in just 30mins and we will be on road again.

But my issues are way too long with my Sail UVa to mention here [cry] and I would certainly vote a BIG NO for Chevrolet for anyone who is a first time car buyer.

sad things apart, Chevrolet's Corvette model (USA) has amazed me in style and speed . but Shanghai Motors cant design/make a better car for Chevrolet.[confused]

Thread Starter #10
Got the car back yesterday. Three hoses got cut it seems, one was AC. I'll update on Monday with full details. Everything seems fine now but we will sell it off soon, as we are not ready to take risk with another long journey and servicing every 7500km is just ridiculous.

Being an ex Spark owner and current Chevrolet SAIL UVA petrol owner, I can surely vouch for Chevrtolet's petrol car. I have covered around 16,000 KM in my petrol SAIL UVA and touchwood no serious issues yet.

Chevrolet's petrol versions are running globally and their S-Tec / S-Tech II / S-Tech III series engines are really good with balanced refinement, efficiency and reliability. Chevrolet Sail was ranked highest couple of time in China car sell chart with 1.2 / 1.4 S-Tech engine.

The problem actually lies with the Chevrolet's diesel platform, though the current 1.3 SDE /MJD diesel engine was co-developed by GM and FIAT in a joint venture, GM did not use this engine ever after that until Beat 1.0 TCDI (1 cyl stripped down version of 1.3 SDE) and then 1.3 TCDI in SAIL twins+Enjoy. I do believe, GM did not maintain quality control during re-engineering of the famous 1.3 MJD and the testing was either incomplete or ignored.

Many Chevrolet Beat diesel owners are complaining with multiple failures in their car at around 30,000 KM, the most common - Fuel Pump failure and Turbo failure.

SAIL Twins / Enjoy suffered from 1.3 SDE failures for Turbo-boost sensor failure, and some engine bolt gone kaput.

As Chevrolet is planning to launch Chevy spin in two avatars (7 seater MPV and 5 seater Compact SUV) equipped with 1.3 SDE, I think they must go back to the engineering team and do exhaustive testing with their engine to make it future-proof.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, Chevrolet's inhouse developed 1.3 TCDI, 1.0 TCDI both are yet to be proved as reliable one. Cruze's 2.0 ltr TCDI is not developed in house, it is sourcedd one, Tavera's 2.5ltr is from Isuzu.

There are numerous Beat, Sail, Enjoy diesel owners know what I am talking about.

I want chevy to prove me wrong and deliver a very reliable diesel engine for this segment.

Yes there are many diesel beat on the road, but unfortunately many of them are facing engine related issues after 30,000 - 40,000 km which is not good.

Because of the same reason i am hazitating to buy a 29000km run chevy beat diesel.

Hi All,

All the above statements are true. Especially the sail tcdi. They had a issue with crank case bolt breaking off, premature wear out. This was recalled and the bolt was resigned and its fine now. It also had a issue with the cowl panel air dam issue. That too was rectified as a silent recall.

Beat - I dont have much information, but have seen couple of cars having turbo failures in service center which I visit.

Now for the Enjoy ! Diesel.

There were quite a lot of engines (yes entire assembly) were replaced for many enjoy's. This was due to Diesel mixing with engine oil and premature turbo failure.
Now they have changed the Map (ecm programming) and the issue has been solved. On a hard note after the Map update the car is no more responsive as earlier.
They offered free oil changes for 2-3 times. Later the oil change schedule was changed from 15k kms to 7.5 kms. I do it at 5 k kms interval.

There are few more issues with enjoy, specially the brake. Booster acts weird as if there is no vacuum. Disks in my car have been replaced 3 times ! in 36k kms. This is because the pads chew up the disks. After lot of trial and error I am using some local brand (Wolf) pads. They are holding better.

There other small replacements like headlamps, blower motor, arm rests etc.

I have posted everything in detail in my thread. Please refer.

As a Enjoy owner, I know its weakness and have been modifying / rectifying it as and when need arises. And I love the way it is. What ever people comment its my money my car !

But for the public I wish to say. These cars are not problematic. They are very practical. All the issues have been sorted out. I have personally seen many of both cars crossing a lakh kms. So dont worry if ever want to buy. Please go ahead.

Top Bottom