Maruti Alto LXi - Pre-Worshipped!

Thread Starter #1
The car Saga

Since from my childhood, cars were my life. I used to go berserk seeing any car on the roads! Fast forward to 18 years and there i was holding my licence and my face gleaming like anything! :biggrin: I was using my uncle's 20 year old Maruti 800 whcih started to give me some problems. So the hunt for the new car begun.

The search

My dad having owned an Opel Astra and a Chevrolet Optra (Unfortunately he passed away in 2011 and the Optra had to go due to some reasons) I wanted a big car just like that. But just didn't have enough money. So in 2012 around september, started to looking at some used Optra's,Lancer's and OHCs. But nothing suited and those car were at their end of their respective life cycles. So went to Mahindra First choice which is located in Anna nagar and looked at some cars. Nothing interested me for a while for my mind was fixed on those OHCs and Lancers. Suddenly a Silver colour immaculately maintained Maruti Alto struck my eye. The decision to buy a hatchback started there.

The decision to buy Alto

I accompanied my uncle along with me to the showroom. He just asked me to buy that car. I was a little hesitant at first but later budged. Sat inside and checked all the interiors, mechanicals etc. Took her for a test drive and the car felt good. The initial buying process was somewhat bitter for me since from my birth i had gone in those big cars and had been used to their power and comfort. But since we badly needed a good car and it had to be easy on the pocket, I settled in for a 2007 Maruti Alto LXi which had done about 18000 kms.

The buying experience

Nothing great. It was as usual. Paid him the token advance and took delivery of the car one week later. But in between, I used to go visit my "to be bought car" often :biggrin: . I think that's were all the love for the car started.

Cost came to 2,07,986/- (incl. of service, polish etc.)
Also got 1 year warranty from FirstChoice for 4500/- extra.

The deliver day

The day was on September 19th 2012. I was so excited on that day. I was going to own "my" first car (Ofcourse not bought with my own money but still). Went to the place around 10.00am, Paid the full cash and did the Pooja. Thanked the manager and started the car!

Initial impressions

The car felt good to drive. Nice power without AC. The AC cooled the cabin really fast and that surprised me a lot! Design wise, the car felt plain. I got Remote security system and black art leather seats from the previous owner so that was a jackpot! The car had basic Kenwood ICE and speakers. Filled petrol for 1000/- came home and parked the car!

View attachment 142855

View attachment 142856

View attachment 142857

View attachment 142858

List of modifications done to the car :

• Philips headlamp wiring harness kit.
• Hella 100/90w headlights
• IND number plate
• Fog lamp assembly (x2)
• Philips Rally H3 100/90w fog lamp bulbs
• Philips BlueVision Ultra 4000k H3 55/60w fog lamps
• Autocop Piranha Security system
• Centre Armrest
• Steering cover
• DaytimeRunningLights(x2)
• Hella Red TwinTone horns
• Internally Adjustable ORVMs
• Rear Parcel tray
• JBL GTO 959
• Pioneer HU X-6590BT
• Interior White Light
• White License plate lights
• Ham Antenna
• Black painted Rims
• Stickering jobs
• Number plate frame front & back
• Debadged
• Custom Free Flow Exhaust end can (Removed Cat-Con)
• Hella Red Grill horns

List of Repair Works done on the car :

18121 kms - General Service
22000 kms - Changed tyres to Michelin XM2
23000 kms - First service done. AC cooling was inconsistent but couldn't find fault
25000 kms - Steering box replaced due to noise when driving after some time.
28000 kms - Major Service. Changes including new clutch, suspension, ac thermostat switch, all fluids change etc.
37655 kms - Second service after a 10000kms break. All fluids changed and air filter box assembly
38910 kms - Engine oil started leaking. Oil filter was the culprit. MSM guys came from guindy and changed the filter free of cost.

The car's current ODO reading stands at 38910 kms. So that's about 20789 kms done from the date of ownership till today. Will be posting pics soon about the modifications done.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Also got 1 year warranty from FirstChoice for 4500/- extra.
Precisely written ownership review. You sure seem to be enjoying the company with Alto. It still commands a solid resale value but finding a well-maintained model was the biggest challenge when I was looking for one. Doesn't Mahindra First Choice offer the warranty free of cost? Please also re-upload the images. They are not visible.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
Precisely written ownership review. You sure seem to be enjoying the company with Alto. It still commands a solid resale value but finding a well-maintained model was the biggest challenge when I was looking for one. Doesn't Mahindra First Choice offer the warranty free of cost? Please also re-upload the images. They are not visible.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks a lot 350z! Yes i sure do!. No they do not. As i said before, they charged 4.5k for it!. And a lot has been changed in the car when it was in warranty! So the 4.5k was well worth it! I'm planning to do a proper extensive photoshoot of my car! Once i'm done with that, i'll post proper pictures! Thanks once again!

Thread Starter #5
Hi! Me too have a 2007 model alto . Really want to see the pictures of your modifications. [clap]
Hey Saroya, I've been following your car thread for quite sometime! The word awesome will be an understatement to describe all your works you've done in your car! And your Alto looks really good too with all those mods and DIYs! Keep up the good work Saroya! I'll post pics soon as soon as i am done with the photoshoot of my car! Been really busy with my college! :biggrin:

Hey Saroya, I've been following your car thread for quite sometime! The word awesome will be an understatement to describe all your works you've done in your car! And your Alto looks really good too with all those mods and DIYs! Keep up the good work Saroya! I'll post pics soon as soon as i am done with the photoshoot of my car! Been really busy with my college! :biggrin:
thanks for appreciating my work. my popularity is increasing slowly.[glasses]

Thread Starter #7
Hello guys! It's been a long time since i posted here! I will be sending in my car for it's 60000 kms service. The car's odo reading currently stands at 56777 kms. I have two queries here. What is the correct grade of engine oil which is to be used and what is the estimated time interval for clutch change? Last time i changed my clutch it was around 28000kms IIRC. Now again double the kilometres run. The clutch is very hard to engage and gears aren't slotting in properly. So is a clutch change necessary? Or would changing the clutch cable suffice? Also i think the steering column is making noise when going through bad roads. Any adjsutments needed or that also need to be changed? Please advice guys.

Top Bottom