Lotus Elise S1 Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
After some discreet arm twisting by 350Z I thought I might as well get on with this review! Only issue is I am really constrained in terms of time having made a move back to India only recently after 18 years in UK. A lot of my time is being spent in setting up home and shuttling between Hyderabad and Mumbai. The Elise is quite unlike any normal road car and I will try to cover various headings in detail such as Exterior and bodywork, Handling, Suspension, Powertrain, etc in more detail. So if the posts are slow in coming please bear with me.

The S1 was acquired many moons ago and came about in the following manner. Having owned owned a BMW 325 sport coupe I thought it was time to move onto something a bit quicker. I drew up some simple guidelines as to what was essential. After a bit of pondering it boiled down to only one thing: I wanted the fastest 0-100 kph accelerating car which I could afford. After much trawling I ended up with a list including a BMW M sport, Subaru Imprezza, Mitsubishi EVO, MGF, Peugeot 305 cabriolet (still laugh when I think that was actually on my list) and the Elise S1.

Given the 0-100 time of the Elise and the reviews it was receiving in the press the choice was made. The next issue was actually trying to get my hands on one considering it was fairly new on the market and there was no dealership in the city I was living in! Also consider the final production figure for the S1 was 14500 only and the total cars remaining today is much lower. Anyway I thought the reviews were good enough and to hell with actually driving or even seeing one before purchase. Decide on the color and get on with it! Silver it was to be with red leather seats. A call was duly placed to the JCT600 Lotus dealership in Leeds about 500 miles away from where I lived who said no problem - can do! Payment completed using a credit card over the phone and JCT dispatched the car off to me on a flatbed trailer!

Car arrived exactly as promised on the date and time it was supposed to reach me without me having actually seen one or driven one in the flesh!! As an aside the integrity and honesty of the British car dealer was unquestionable.

For those of you who are more interested in technical aspects this is a link to how the Elise was designed and built by Lotus: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a-TiFKr2yb0

bf4f_1.jpg

Basic info about the S1

British mid engined, rear wheel drive, open top 2 seater sports car built by Lotus at their plant at Hethel, Norfolk, UK. First conceived in 1994 and launched in 1996.The chassis is made from extruded aluminium and the bodyshell is made from handlaid fibreglass. The Elise was named after Elisa, the granddaughter of Romano Artioli who was chairman of Lotus and Bugatti at the time of the car's launch.

Total numbers produced between 1998-2001: 14500

Total surviving today: guesstimate would be around the 9000 - 10000 mark given the number of crashes (with the engine layout and power available {especially as most S1s get tuned further} it's not the easiest car to drive). Quite easy to lose the backend on bends and roundabouts if driven by inexperienced drivers. But then this a trait of all high powered midengined sports cars!!!

S1 Chassis

A little anecdote to go along with this. In 1995 during my visit to the London Motor Show at Earls Court I came across the bare S1 Chassis and was completely amazed by its design!!! Took a photo of it then and have still got it as a nice momento. At that point I hadn't even had a thought that I would be owning this piece of British design many years later!!

The Elise chassis is a remarkable piece of engineering. It's made from extruded aluminium glued (I believe it is aircraft glue) and riveted together to form an immensly stiff and light weight platform on which to build an open top car. The bare chassis weighs about 70kg and the rivets are only there to prevent peeling in the event of a crash. The chassis is suplied to Lotus complete by Hydro Aluminium.

The chassis is not designed to absorb impact during a crash and repair is a complex and expensive process, often resulting in a write-off if damage is sustained. On newer cars the chassis is sometime replaced but this is a time consuming process. The carbon fibre 'crash box' at the front of the car is designed to protect the chassis and driver in the event of a frontal crash. Trust me, it works very well! Within the various Elise Internet forums you may come across the term, 'chassis job'. This is a humourous (by British standards) reference to the relative ease with which expensive damage can be inflicted on the Elise.

The chassis side rails can get quite warm in the summer, especially on the right hand side. This is due to the pipes that run from the radiator to the engine, along the inside of the side rails.

Some pics. The red or greeny bits are actually the glue Lotus uses to bond the chassis. The last pic is a good view of the carbonfibre front crash structure.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Lotus Elise S1

A very nice start. Eagerly looking for the next installments.
Buying a car that too without having seen one in flesh or driven one- This is definitely the first such incident I have heard of :-)

Thread Starter #3

If it's ok with the mods I will keep updating my first post as I go along to try and keep all the info in one place. There is a lot of material, pics and technical stuff I have gathered and done over the years as regards the elise and its impossible to put it down in one go!!
Regards

Great thread, thanks for sharing Adil, the S1 chassis view is particularly interesting. Glued for more updates!

Thread Starter #6

Bodywork

Made of handlaid and handfinished fibreglass sections which are lightweight, corrosion proof and are relatively easy to repair or replace in the event of a crash. Consists of various sections or "clamshells". The front and rear sections are removable whereas the centre section is bonded to the chassis.
The bodywork is also available in carbonfibre.

Consists of the following sections:
Front clamshell
Front services access compartment cover giving ingress to battery, radiator, heater matrix, fan, brake cylinders and various electrics
Centre section bonded to the chassis
Rear clamshell
Engine compartment cover
Rear diffuser made of alumcover

Views of various sections of the car. The last two pics are of motorsport versions with spoilers, air ducts, etc.

Attachments

A very rare car you have. Definitely envy you a lot. How does it feel to own one of the finest handling cars ever?Is this one powered by toyota?

Thread Starter #9
Hi guys
Yes the car is in India having been imported earlier this year. The engine is a highly tuned Lotus unit.

Driving a Lotus is unlike driving a normal road car. The handling, cornering, acceleration and braking can't be described in words but can only be experienced. I have had people screaming in the passenger seat!!!!!

That's some rare car here. Congrats.
Please do post some recent snaps (in India)

Yes the car is in India having been imported earlier this year.
Can you please explain the import process. I read somewhere Indian import law specify some rules regarding the manufacturing date (I mean vehicles manufactured some 'n' years from the current date can only be imported) Just curious to understand. If not in this thread, atleast with a new/existing thread.

Thread Starter #11
The car was imported on transfer of residence. The imported car has to be rhd and has to display speed in kilometres. A certain amount is discounted as depreciation on the original value of the car. The customs people work this out based on data held by them. After this I paid a customs duty of about 230% comprising of various levies and duties which are best known to excise!!
The only suggestion I would make is that find a good clearing agent.

Adil, thanks for sharing this fabulous ownership review. The best part is that you got the car to India. Looking forward to more pictures. How are you managing the servicing and other maintenance stuff?

Thread Starter #13
Adil, thanks for sharing this fabulous ownership review. The best part is that you got the car to India. Looking forward to more pictures. How are you managing the servicing and other maintenance stuff?
I pretty much know the car inside out and do all the maintenance and mechanical stuff myself. Have never let a mechanic come close to it since I have had it!!! In the last few years I have literally stripped it down completely and rebuilt it to achieve certain goals I was aiming for in terms of handling, acceleration, top end speed, safety, braking etc.
I think I can quite safely say that it's far better than when it left the lotus factory! Funnily enough one of the most bizarre probs I had in customs was in proving that this was not a brand new car given the condition it is in. The matter was settled when they saw the odometer reading!!

Thread Starter #14

Suspension and Handling

This is the real area which sets an Elise apart from normal cars. All four corners have a double wishbone configuration. As we are well aware Lotus are renowned for tuning suspensions and often provide consultancy to various other companies for the same. The Elise S1 is one of the best and sharpest handling sports cars made which gives some idea as to the effort put in by Lotus to get all the factors such as wishbone lengths, angles, hubs, steering, etc etc just right.

Suspension geometry and handling
Even the standard suspension is fully adjustable for camber, toe, castor and bump steer.

Camber
It is the angle made by the wheels of a vehicle; specifically, it is the angle between the vertical axis of the wheels used for steering and the vertical axis of the vehicle when viewed from the front or rear (Wikipedia)
To improve cornering Lotus run a bit of negative camber on the wheels which makes the car stick like glue to the road in corners but does result in the insides of the tyres getting worn quicker.
Standard S1 setup is Front 0.1 neg, Rear 1.8 neg camber.

Camber_Explanation.jpg

Toe
Looking down at the tyres it is whether the tyres are pointing in (toe-in) or ointing out (toe out). Toe out give sharper turn-in into corners but can cause oversteer. Toe in gives stability at the expense of handling.
A standard S1 has 1.2 mm toe in each side.

Image4.jpg

Caster
The caster angle or castor angle is the angular displacement from the vertical axis of the suspension of a steered wheel in a car, bicycle or other vehicle, measured in the longitudinal direction. It is the angle between the pivot line and vertical (Wikipedia)
Essentially the castor angle dictates how well the steering tyres will return to straight ahead or keep pointing straight when you let go off the steering wheel.
A standard S1 runs 3.8 degree castor for the steering wheels.

caster.jpg

Bump Steer
I don't think we will go there and the less said the better. It's just too complex to explain!

Steering
Rack and pinion type but not your usual road rack. The Elise steering is a “quick rack“ ie lock to lock is much less than that on a road car giving a quicker response on turning the wheel. Various upgrades are available to even improve this further.

Dampers and hubs
In standard form the dampers are Konis all round. The wheels bolt onto lightweight aluminium hubs which obviously save weight.
There are plenty of aftermarket options available from Ohlins, Spax, Nitron racing etc.

46mmTRIPLESreg.jpg

B0024052.jpg

nitron_shocks_parts.jpg

Upgrades and Setups
The standard setup is very good but to really get great performance especially for track days and races a lot of owners will upgrade and tweak the suspension. For eg my dampers are fully adjustable for bump, rebound and ride height. They are made by Nitron racing out of titanium and aluminium and Eibach springs (for those who know Eibach make some the best springs available for racing). Extremely lightweight, improve handling beyond all expectations and honestly look like pieces of art themselves[:D]. These are coupled with a fully adjustable anti-roll bar at the front and fully adjustable toe-links at the rear. Both front and rear are independently adjustable for bump steer.
I also prefer to run extreme negative camber, toe out on the front and toe in at the rear.

7.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
After some discreet arm twisting by 350Z I thought I might as well get on with this review! Only issue is I am really constrained in terms of time having made a move back to India only recently after 18 years in UK.
Adil, thanks for managing sometime to create this thread. This car is truly an engineering marvel and being the owner of ONLY piece in India must feel like no less than a privilege. I've a few general queries regarding import and ownership of a car such as this which I'm sure will be covered in subsequent parts of your review. I’ve subscribed to this thread and closely reading each update. If I don’t sound too greedy, consider uploading more high-res inside out snaps of your own car. I stated it earlier and will mention again, this is going to be one of the best threads on our forum. Keep it coming. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom