The S1 interior is spartan, minimalistic and functional. It's designed only and only for one thing: driving. The polished aluminium of the chassis is visible clearly. There is a substantial rollover bar for safety in case of accidents. It also serves as to provide anchor points for racing harnesses.
The base car is supplied without even carpets! The standard options include two tiny coin holders and a map pocket! No sun visors, music system, airconditioning, power windows, electric mirrors, etc, etc! These creature comforts are available from Lotus (for those who want them) but detract from the driving pleasure the car will give!!! I had some of these in my car but they have been removed as they were totally pointless in this car (IMHO) and I wanted to save weight. The radio could not be heard over the roar of the engine! And with the roof off, having an a/c was pointless anyway! Power windows and electric mirrors (who cares about these).
The important bits are:
- The fibreglass racing seats covered in red leather; of which the drivers seat has an inflatable lumbar support and is adjustable for aft/fore movement. The passenger seat is fixed.
- Schroth six-point FIA approved racing harness
- Racing steering wheel
- Quickshift gearchange lever
- Oil pressure gauge
- Oil temperature gauge
- Air/Fuel ratio gauge (measuring lambda and very handy for onroad ecu tuning)
- G-force meter
- Progressive shiftlights for optimal gear changes
- Rad fan switch for independent control for cooling
- Fire extinguisher
- The pedals are made of extruded aluminium and are designed for optimal heel-toe driving technique for gearchanges
In short, the interior is designed so the driver can have maximum feedback from the car and the road.