My Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDI SX(O) 2014

Thread Starter #1
hello everyone,
This will be my first post on this site so please bear with me.
will try to keep this review as short as possible and hence not elaborating the TD taken for different cars and its feel.
my main aim is review the drive-ability and comfort bout this car as many people still have doubts with this.
my major concerns for the new car was
- a superb looker
- diesel engine
- comfortable ride
- creature comforts
i had shortlisted my options to vento, verna and the new honda city.
then in the finals were verna and new honda city, as vento was ruled out coz of the lack in creature comforts and superb looks.

the story starts with the two finalist.
honda's innings -
after reading the brouchers i had initially booked the top end diesel city.
reasons were honda's bullet proof relaibility, space, comfort, fuel economy and ride.
on road price for top spec was around 12.6 lakhs
hyundai's innings -
as my brother was searching for a small city car, he entered hyundai showroom for EON as it was a good looking car for him.
that day the verna made its mark in my family.
a new verna was all dressed up for a delivery and my family were like struck with its beauty. (father, mother, brother and his wife)
after spending some nights on net reading reviews i found out that the boat ride feeling of verna at high speeds was a concern.
i was like about to reconsider my options again when suddenly the new 2014 verna articles came up stating to resolve its dynamics to some level
and also a addition of DRL integrated headlights(i love them).
the fight was tough between the two competitors and finally the hyundai verna fluidic emerged as the champion in my eyes.
main reasons why i chose verna over honda was
- straight one lakh difference between the two top ends
- delivery time
- verna obviously looks better proportionate than honda city
- freebies given by hyundai and none offered by honda city.
- NVH levels
- service network and maintainenece costs
so i booked the hyundai verna fluidic 1.6 SX(O) crystal white with a 7 day waiting period. amazing !!
main reason for opting the optional model were
- DRL integrated head lamps
- leather upholstery
- 6 air bags
- some other creature comforts like keyless entry, speed sensing door locks, auto head lamps, start stop button, impact sensing door unlock etc.
- diamond cut alloys ( i thought it was only available with optional trim)
- delivery time
all this if i added to the SX variant then it wud have easily crossed the 1L mark and i was getting the SX(O) for a premium of 70000 more than SX and so i thot that SX(O) was a better deal.

freebies offered by showroom guys
- mud flaps
- floor mats
- body cover
- 3M underbody protection
- 3M teflon coating at a price of 1000 rs
- perfume
- aux cables and ipod connectors
- decent looking in car hangings
discounts offered
- 30000rs as corporate discount

the total price of the SX(O) trim was about 11.6 lakhs on road here in cuttack.

Am not elaborating the looks and feel of this beauty as many people have already said it.
I wil try to focus on some doubts and myths regarding this car.
in the first week of its coming into my hands it had crossed almost over 1000kms in the odo and i had taken it for the first servicing.
- servicing costs nil.
- Mileage given was 19-20km/L

i was waiting for one of my friend as we both had planned for a long trip to kerla from odisha.
that is about 2000kms one way.

i was waiting for this trip and then write this review as i can have bettter insight about this car as this trip would have a lot of luggage, city travel and high way travel

finally the day had come and three of us were all ready to explore the east coast line in my new beauty.
as we had planned for a month stay in kerala, the luggage space was full to the brim with 3 large trolley bags, 3 laptop bags, 2 skybags.
sorry, i could not snap the luggage trunk after putting in all these or else it would have been more clear when i meant that it was full to the brim.
all i can say is that i had no space left for putting in my regular shoes and sandals and had to put them in the passenger seat.
the luggage space of verna is superb and had never had to think of low luggage carrying capacity, except for my sandals and shoes.

we had our time restrictions in reaching our destination(3 days) and so had to push hard. the whole trip was made in 2 days with a night stay in chennai.
the entire trip was done in heavy rains in odisha(this area is prone to cyclones, low perssure), andra pradesh, and till chennai(god only knows why it does not rain here[confused])
we crossed the whole tamil nadu without any rains and as soon as we touched kerala, came back the annoying rains.
we had good roads till kerala but as soon as we entered kerala, we faced some really bad roads, but verna managed not to scratch its underbody even once with 3 people inside and luggage trunk full.
so the report of stiffer suspension and higher ground clearance was true.
There was even a day when my verna had six people in it(some miscommunications with frens and cant say no as har friens zaruri hota hai[;)]) and we were going around in chennai.
it still managed not to scratch its underbody on any humps in chennai city.

also i had to see the high speed dynamics of this car. i drove it to a max speed of 190km/hr and never even once i felt it would go out of control(may be coz it was loaded fully).
but who drives at such insane speeds all the time.
not to mention that the average speed i did for the whole trip was around 100-120 km/hr.
i felt the steering weights itself well at speeds and personally speaking i was convinced with its feel.

so hyundai has really improved this cars dynamics for sure.

now comes the fuel economy part.
i have never driven my car with its windows down. its always on ac mode. i don prefer the auto climate control as it opens up the fresh air vents and pungents smells of outside finds its way inside.
i always set it at a temperature of 22 degC and the ac performs flawlessly, even in the hot and humid conditions of chennai.
when i was in odisha it gave me a fuel economy of around 19-20 km/L in city. i was happy with what i was getting.
on this trip i really pushed my beast to its limits with speeds averaging around 120-140km/hr and twice taking it to 190km/hr.
the FE dropped considerably and it was showing me a economy of 15-16 km/L.
even when i reached the destination and was moving around in traffic the mileage dropped again to 12-13km/L.
i was worried that my high speed dare must have damaged the engine. so again googled all the possibilities.
i cleaned my air filter (later on came to know it as a myth of increasing FE in modern engines)
after going thru many sites, someone in this community only described how the ECU adapts to the driving style and how to reset the ECU.
i did exactly what was told by that good person and wola my car is bak to its efficiency mode. in kerala i am getting a FE of 18-20km/L.
million thanks to that good samaritan who gave me this brilliant idea.

the return trip was made at a very economical speed with very good weather conditions and speeds not exceeding 100km/hr.
and the FE i got was a dream fig for me i.e 26.2 km/L.
keep in mind that i have alwaz set the AC on at 22 degC and blower speed was kept at minimum most of the times.

the ride was really comfortable all thru the journey and i would never complain about its ride comfort.
in short the things
i loved bout the fluidic verna
- 1.6l diesel engine refinement
- fit and finish of the panels inside
- DRL integrated headlights
- slick gear shifts
- power of course
- AC cooling effect
- killer looks
which can be improved
- audio system could have done with more bass and sound quality. rear speakers are like absent. it does not matter to me coz i am alwaz at the wheels
- rear head room an issue with tall people
- could have added a cruise control mechanism to such a beautiful car.
- could have done away with faux wood finish.
- better quality tyres as mine had come with bridgestone and tyre noise is evident
Myths i broke
- high speed stability issue
- suspension set up
- AC cooling effect as i have read a lot of probs with it on net.
- FE doubts
In total i am very happy and convinced about the decision of buying Verna over City and anyday would recommend it to anyone with my genuine gaurantee.
I had done some wrapping for the roof and the hexagonal grill. See the pics
any suggestions regarding interior neon lightings as i dont wan to be too flashy.
PS - The car is not at all clean as whole trip it encountered heavy rains.
will upload more pics of the whole trip on the travelogue thread.

Attachments

Congratulations fluidic on your new(and excellent) acquisition.

Hyundai Verna is absolutely complete package. It is good to see the previous cons no
longer continues for updated Verna.

I must say with more than 120 horses under the hood, Uber Cool Gadgets & Gizmos, Safety and NVH, it challenges higher segments and give run for their money.

The Fuel Efficiency figures you have got is commendable.

You have bought one of the perfect car in Indian Car Scene [clap]

Drive Safe Buddy.

many congratulations on this beautiful car and really the black coating on roof and hexagonal grill looks amazing [:)]
for resetting mileage (kmpl) display it is same as the trip meter resetting just press and hold the trip switch for a while.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
freebies offered by showroom guys
- mud flaps
- floor mats
- body cover
- 3M underbody protection
- 3M teflon coating at a price of 1000 rs
- perfume
- aux cables and ipod connectors
- decent looking in car hangings
discounts offered
- 30000rs as corporate discount

the total price of the SX(O) trim was about 11.6 lakhs on road here in cuttack.
Heartiest congratulations! For Rs.11.6 Lakh on-road with freebies that was a sweet bargain considering the ex. showroom price is itself Rs.11.09 Lakh.

I had done some wrapping for the roof and the hexagonal grill. See the pics
Your car is literally looking like a long distance cousin of Scala after the front vinyl wrap. Do upload more snaps and keep us posted on the maintenance part.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7
Congratulations fluidic on your new(and excellent) acquisition.

Hyundai Verna is absolutely complete package. It is good to see the previous cons no
longer continues for updated Verna.

I must say with more than 120 horses under the hood, Uber Cool Gadgets & Gizmos, Safety and NVH, it challenges higher segments and give run for their money.

The Fuel Efficiency figures you have got is commendable.

You have bought one of the perfect car in Indian Car Scene [clap]

Drive Safe Buddy.
Thanks ADSA..
surely this is one car i wil never regret of buying it over honda city.
it the jack of trades is what i felt..
power, comfort, Fuel efficient

Thanks everybody for all the wishes..
Will keep the thread alive with all the fun encountered with this beauty

Heartiest congratulations! For Rs.11.6 Lakh on-road with freebies that was a sweet bargain considering the ex. showroom price is itself Rs.11.09 Lakh.

Your car is literally looking like a long distance cousin of Scala after the front vinyl wrap. Do upload more snaps and keep us posted on the maintenance part.

Drive Safe,
350Z
These freebies which i got from the hyundai guys was one of the reasons of opting out from honda. The honda guys didn even give the floor mats even.

And i would prefer it calling the distant cousin of a audi [;)]

many congratulations on this beautiful car and really the black coating on roof and hexagonal grill looks amazing [:)]
for resetting mileage (kmpl) display it is same as the trip meter resetting just press and hold the trip switch for a while.
no resetting by long pressing the trip switch erases the previous data and it calculates it from that instant. the ECU was still adapted to my style i.e. more power as i was on highways challenging some cars to keep me awake the whole drive. i felt the adrenaline rush was better than having a red bull[;)]
instead i disconnected the battery and left it over night. all the power to ECU had gone and when i connected it back it seems it got reset. after that whole day i was in gentleman ride mode. and it worked[:D]

i need a help from the community members.
i am planning to install blue lighting kits for the interiors. is it worth it?
and will be warranty be void if i plan to connect it with roof lamps of my car?
can anybody suggest me some good shops in and around cochin as i am again leaving for cochin this week end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #8
hello everyone..
Rite now i dont have any good pics of my interior but will upload it when my car returns.
but some of them i found in my mobile. so uploading it

i guess the difference in the interiors stay with chrome accented gear knob, start stop switch and ya my MID shows exactly which door is open. it even shows if the trunk is open or not

can anyone suggest what is that in those pics?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone suggest what is dat in dos pics..
The black dome is temperature sensor for the cabin.
It is responsible for setting ambient temperature on ACC when you press AUTO button.

PIC 2 shows cover for the exposed screws. You can pop it yourself with the help of screw driver or anything similar.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Top Bottom