First Highway Trip in my Terrano
I was itching to take my Terrano on Highway and my Company obliged me by providing a fully paid vacation :)
So I booked the Meriyanda resort (Meriyanda Nature lodge coorg resort
) in Hattihole, Coorg and drove from Bangalore. What a superb experience!
1) Terrano is a delight to drive. Its very much a driver's car and ride & handling were exceptional. As opposed to my first impression of missing driver arm rest, I did not feel the need for it so much. But I missed the dead peddle for sure.
2) The road was smooth up to the last 6 KMs. As the resort is in a remote location and was raining heavily, the last 6 KMS of the road was extremely bad. The road was non-existant mostly with steep inclines-declines. The resort had warned us before the trip itself about this particular strech of road.
But alas! with Terrano the road felt not so bad at all. Terrano's suspension took everything that came its way - potholes (craters actually), stones, no roads etc. with minimum fuss and maximum comfort for passengers and we were delighted with way it handled this strech of road.
3) We reached the resort and we were glad that the bad strech was handled without a fuss but alas! then came the bigger challenge. The entry to the resort from the road is a very steep incline. The rocks were extremely slippery. As soon as the gate was opened, the Security warned that it is extremely slippery and suggested me to go in 1st gear in high speed to climb it.
As my Terrano had done only 400 KMs before I started th trip, I had driven below 2000 RPM the entire trip. But once I entered this steep slope, I realized that it was not enough with the sharp turn that lay just ahead. So I sped in 1st gear reaching RPM in excess of 3000 and the Terrano responded by making the ascent with no fuss at all. Of course, I was not happy with reaching the RPM in excess of 3000. And the Second highway Trip didn't take long
After the Coorg Trip, we wanted to visit Tirupati and of course, I decided to drive again. The strech from Bangalore to Mulbagal is 4 way mostly and is in excellent condition. Afterwards, it becomes a 2 way strech but still the road was good.
While coming back, we got late and left Tirumala at around 6.30 PM. The road was crowded with all the night buses and trucks. Since my Terrano had already run 1600 KMs by then so I decided to push up to 2500 RPM. Terrano responded enthusiatically overtaking buses/cars at will. The testing time for this trip came near Palamner in a 2 way strech. I overtook a Bus and there was an oncoming bus and I had to quickly come to left to make way for the oncoming bus. Hmm - I realized just at that moment that there was a road divider and it was dug up completely resulting in crator right in the middle of road. There was no option i had to drive into this crator to come to the left side of road
. But to my surprise, Terrano handled it so well that I barely felt the thud and was no issue at all
. My appreciation for this Beast has grown many folds after these 2 highway trips Some snaps from the trip:
1) On the way to Resort
2) The steep incline to the resort. Believe me the picture does not depict accurately how steep it was
3) Parked in the resort amidst heavy rain and wind.
4) The beautiful cottage that we stayed in Meriyanda.