Toyota Aqua / Prius C Ownership Review: The True Hybrid Technology

Thread Starter #1
After some silence i was able to come back to the forum.

I have been using a Maruthi ALTO LXI with lot of modifications for 4 years and i and my wife decided it’s time to invest for the future. With the increase in the petrol prices we need a good gas mileage, better ride comfort ability and safety and some room inside the car it was a time to change the ride .Since i love hatch backs the hunt begins for a HYBRID hatchback.
There were 2 options for me HONDA FIT GP1 and TOYOTA AQUA /PRIUS C. Both are hatch backs but two different technologies.

TOYOTA is the world leading hybrid technology car providers. Where there Hybrid technology HSD (HYBRID SYNERGY DRIVE) is a pure hybrid drive where its starting the car from the battery power cruse around 2Kms / less than 40Kmph speed and need more speed add more power to the petrol engine and when braking motor generate electricity and charge the battery not like the HONDA where they have the IMA (INTEGRATED MOTOR ASSIST) technology which is not pure hybrid which just assist the engine to transfer some extra power to transmission system to reduce the fuel consumption. .

So my Interest was more on Toyota AQUA where it looks like a baby shark and smooth curves and no add-ons coming out from the car and has some modern look. So I was looking for a Toyota AQUA for some time. Since we can bring down the Japan used vehicles (less than 2 years) I had the option of buying a used vehicle from Japan with warranty and certificates to make sure it’s in good condition. So I started looking at the cars from dealers and found many had accidents in Japan and repaired and send to here since its less priced and can have a good profit so it took me about a month to find a one.
There 3 grades for AQUA L S G and extra Gs which is a full Toyota modified cat which cost around 4.5mil and it was way out from my budget.

L has basic option such as Key start, Front power windows and no rear wiper. S comes with push start rear 60/40 folding seat and rear wiper and some more options. And G comes with head light washers, LED had lights and nice interior and many more options. Since I was in a kind of low budget I decide to go for L grade where no rear wiper, no back power windows and no 6040 folding seats and no fog lamps or no multi-function steering wheel and no push start option. But the HYBRID technology is same as other models and has less repair cost since there is no complex systems too much.

AQUA provide some cool features such as average mileage of 25KmL (this is my usual average on 100% city with full traffic) and i was able to go up to 36KmL on outside the city with 1.5L engine.
AQUA is a small version on PRIUS and its called Prius C in USA and C stand for City. This was designed as a JDM (Japan domestic model) where now imported to many Europe countries as well as US and for 2012-2013 they shipped 600K units of TOYOTA HYBRID models in the world. With aall above these options price may vary from 3.4mil -4.2mil Sri Lankan rupees (~ 1.2mil - 1.5mil in INR). I know its expensive but the fuel saving and low maintenance cost and ride quality which it offers i say it’s worth it.

Technical specs –

In mm
wheelbase - 2550
track/tread (front) - 1480
track/tread (rear) - 1475
length - 3995
width - 1695
height - 1445
ground clearance - 140
length:wheelbase ratio - 1.57
kerb weight - 1050 kg
fuel tank capacity - 36 litres
engine type - naturally aspirated petrol
engine manufacturer - Toyota
engine code - 1NZ-FXE
cylinders - Straight 4
capacity - 1.5 litre
1497 cc
(91.353 cu in)
bore × stroke - 75 × 84.7 mm
2.95 × 3.33 in
bore/stroke ratio - 0.89
double overhead camshaft (DOHC)
4 valves per cylinder
16 valves in total
maximum power output - 74 PS (73 bhp) (54 kW)
(net) at 4800 rpm
specific output - 48.8 bhp/litre
(net) 0.8 bhp/cu in
maximum torque - 111 Nm (82 ft lb) (11.3 kgm)
(net) at 3600-4400 rpm
specific torque - 74.15 Nm/litre
(net) 0.9 ft lb/cu3
sump - wet sumped
compression ratio - 13.4:1
fuel system - EFI
bmep
(brake mean effective pressure) - 931.8 kPa (135.1 psi)
engine coolant - Water
unitary capacity- 374.25 cc
engine position- front
engine layout- - transverse
drive wheels- front wheel drive
steering - rack & pinion
tyres front- 165/70 R 14
tyres rear - 165/70 R 14
brakes f/r - VeDi/Dr-S Regenerative
gearbox - continuously variable transmission
model code- DAA-NHP10-AHXCB

More talk later let’s see some photos taken.

Front view.. for some distance its looks like a baby shark.
front.jpg

Side look

From back.

HYBRID badge (In market its cost around Rs 8000 since they are very rare)

Toyota badge it comes in front( there are some Toyota special made badges that glow in the dark. but they are expensive)

Head light ( They comes with high/low separated. Low beam is equipped with projectors which give a excellent light and it has a level selector also)

Head light with the fog lamp (Fog lamp is 55W and has a range of 25m and above that is the turn signal)
hdlght.jpg

This is where the towing cable can be hooked ( it has a plastic cover where can close when not needed)

More pictures (engine and interior) in next .....

Engine bay and the engine (1.5L engine combined with a hybrid motor or traction motor as it called give you a 100HP power which can ride in HW around 140KmPH in a fuel consumption of 21-22 kmL.[evil]
engine bay.jpg

4 Ceylinder DOHC 1.5L engine.
engine.jpg

Notice the Fuse box and there 2 more in the car which one for the engine one for Hybrid system and one for other electrical system. Total around 100 fuses. And the brake oil tank. they need to change only around 100000Kms.
fuse and brk oil.jpg

Notice the two coolant tanks well one for the engine and one for the power inverter unit which convert the power in to 400V to run the motor and again to charge the battery. Also there are no belts to run the coolant pumps since its a electric pump and no need of belts so no need of changing the belts.[:D] and we can use only coolant no water can be mixed to it. Coolant need to be changes only every 240000Km's.
coolant.jpg

The air filter see how small it is. Yes since engine runs less and so efficiently need only a small air filter and need to replace every 40000Kms.
air filter.jpg

This is where all the magic happens the power distributor. Where the power conversation and distribution happens.
power distributer.jpg

More pictures coming up...

More pictures coming up...

Now the interiors
Part of the front dash board. Front display is moved to the middle and every details i need to see is there even outside temp to fuel consumption and battery level is there.

Driver side front

Passenger side view

Driver side

Back seat side view.

Back view

Back side door panel .

Child look in back door.

Gear shift . The two buttons are for EV - where run on battery power and ECO - combination of motor and engine where gives the best mileage.

Passenger side caby. Enough room for hold 2X 1L water bottles and my son can put many toys as he likes.

Automatic climate control. Once set the a climate it automatically keep the climate inside the car for same temperature as long its on and also since there is no engine assist pump no need to start the engine to run the air-conditioning.

Only two paddles since this is ECVT gear system. and best there is a dead paddle but down side is there is no rubber cover on it so its getting dirty very quickly.

Power mirror control and the driver side AC vent. and the head light adjustment switch.

Cabin lights it has two separate reading lights for front passenger and driver called map reading lights.

Fog lamp switch and engine sound off switch its for the EV mode where when we drive using motor there is no sound made so the pedestrians will not know there is a vehicle coming behind him so a sound is made from car the make sure every one near by know.

Petrol lid opener.

power mirrors with turn indicators

Vent to cool the battery where its under the back seat.

Tool box where has the tire puncture repair kit. we can put a spare tire there if we need one by removing this.

Boot.It has s 485L cargo space without folding the back seats and if folded its about 900L. And can accommodate 4ppls long trip bags and other equipment .

There is no boot opening key holes or livers in front just press the bottom and boot will open.

Last edited:
Re: TOYOTA AQUA /PRIUS C - A True HYBRID technology in pictures.

Wow! Awesome review! First time seeing an ownership review of a hybrid car.
I liked the snapshots of the engine bay. Not many get to see that. Especially in India. This car is expensive here. Hence not many people own it.
Please do post some interior pics of the car. Would love to see it.
Also keep us updated on the maintainance of the car. How much it costs etc.

Thread Starter #3
Re: TOYOTA AQUA /PRIUS C - A True HYBRID technology in pictures.

Wow! Awesome review! First time seeing an ownership review of a hybrid car.
I liked the snapshots of the engine bay. Not many get to see that. Especially in India. This car is expensive here. Hence not many people own it.
Please do post some interior pics of the car. Would love to see it.
Also keep us updated on the maintenance of the car. How much it costs etc.
Hi Nikhn.. There goes the interior.... It was some what more expensive when it launch in 2012 and not price has gone down some what. I got this not because of the look luxury also for the long term use Toyota has a name. and it has space and very good fuel economy. out side city i some times get around 36KmL and average of 28KmL. and handling and comfort is very nice. And more im happy im trying to save environment.

WOW! The first one in this FORUM.
Congrats. Happy miles ahead.

Some of the photos are not loading. It may be due to uploading the photos issue.
Can you reload it.

Thread Starter #6
The latest update - I have run the car for 8500Kms within 4 months after buying. Done 2 services and cost was for Oil and Oil filter nearly 7000/=. and I usually do get a average of 26-30 Kmpl and best was 31kmpl. Ride is so comfortable and very less road noise from outside. inside its very comfortable and compared to ALTO this is like haven..
The gear box is very smooth and power is 1500cc which is totally given to the gear box since the AC runs on different electric pump.
So when ever power is needed its given directly from engine and motor.. brrrooooommm.. instance speed.
I have drown in heavy rains and heavy winds.There was no issues I was like amazed to see what this baby can do....

Top Bottom