Honda Dio Ownership Review - My Wild Kitten

Thread Starter #1
This is Honda Dio ownership review. Covering buying, ownership and maintenance experiences.

Hello to all,

A warm welcome to all the TAI members visiting to this thread.

Self Introduction
This is my first thread on this website so first let me introduce myself. My name is Srikanth and I'm from Hubli - Karnataka. My occupation is software development on Windows Mobile and Android (Internals); been part of XDA Dev as a recognized developer past five years as well as I'm a web developer. Ok so back to vehicle related introduction. My father had purchased a new LML Select II scooter on 1999 when I was small but he couldn't drive it nor my elder brother so it was left unused until I was able to drive it (approx after 5yrs). I used it for near by shoppings and tuition classes because I didn't had license to go far. Later on 2009 Oct, my father bought a new Tata Nano LX even though no body in my family knows driving a car, including me. Just because it was cheap and very popular. But unfortunately only after 3 months of purchasing it, my father expired due to an electricity accident cased by water motor within my house. Before that I had only little experience with car driving and could take him for a ride only once. After few months, I became perfect in driving and took driving license. On the other hand, my house didn't had a good parking space so we decided to renew the front look of it. Here myself was the engineer for the construction and it took about an year to finish. After that, getting rid of both the vehicles (Nano & LML Scooter) came to mind because I wasn't satisfied with Nano about its performance and the TASS. So far it was 4 years old and only 5k in ODO. The scooter was 14 years old, hard to find spares and had some breakdowns in mid of road. First we sold the Nano using olx/quikr on Jun 2013 and bought a used Honda City VMT 2009 on Sept 2013 (I'm yet to make a ownership reviews about it, Please hang on). However, when purchasing the car, the budget crossed so much that we had to spend the money saved for two wheeler and had to wait for an year to rise funds.

Meanwhile I used to visit to some used two wheeler mela's but people were doing great business here, unlike car mala's. Quoting too much for a worst condition and old vehicles and good ones were just 10 - 15k less then their new price. So we decided to go for new one instead, many of my friends advised as well.

Requirements
Let me clarify about my requirements. I'm not a big fan of two wheelers but its a essential thing to me, that can help me shop, work and etc around my city so that I need not take the car for every little things. As of Bikes, they are not so useful to me since they don't help carrying luggages. so left with gear less scooters as a good alternative to my old scooter. I had liked Honda DIO ever since it launched and last year (2013) one of my friend had bought a new Honda DIO and I fall in love with its new design and right there I have finalized, my new two wheeler will definitely be the DIO.

Research
On the web I did some research about different scooters from different makers but most of them are like Activa design which I didn't like much. As of Pricing, most of good scooters where above 50k ex-showroom and found the DIO quite VFM. Then I checked Yamaha Ray just because its looks are similar to DIO but reviews were more towards DIO and I didn't gone deeper. My budget was limited, approx 55k and could extend little. The Honda DIO is around our budget and there was also a new engine launched by Honda called HET which made be more confident to go for it.

- Continued on next post

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Time For Shipping!

May 21th 2014 Morning: I had my car (Honda City) service scheduled on this day so in the morning, me and my brother (Here after "we") taken the car to Honda Car Authorized Service Station (Here after HASS) and when returning home by bus, we decided to drop by Honda Two Wheelers Showroom to collect some details about the DIO. There were only few but booked DIO's outside the showroom but inside, none! Only Activa's and plenty of bikes. Of course the showroom is little small. There is also a another Honda Dealer in my city which I will tell about it later. We consulted a Sales Advisor (Here after called SA). We asked him about break up price about DIO, availability and a test drive. He told the prices as give below, and said we don't have stock so booking is required and wait time 1 month then took us to the backyard where they make ready of just owned vehicle. I could see more colors of DIO but I liked Matte Gray only. My brother didn't liked the DIO much, specially the Matte Gray color. Instead he was interested in Activa's. Anyhow, the SA couldn't provide us a test drive because he didn't even had one! but I didn't mind it. Coming back to the showroom, SA said if you book Matte Gray now, you can get the vehicle within 15 days. Booking amount is 1k. We had not yet finalized so we said we shall think about it and come back later.

Upon returning home, damn we forgot to ask the main thing. It was about exchanging my old LML Scooter.

May 21th Evening: Went back to HASS to pick up my car and while returning, we had a glance to the second Honda two wheeler showroom. This showroom has been opened recently and its little far to me but near to Honda car showroom. As it was too late, I just asked about total price and the exchange thing. Price he said was 1.5k more compared to the first showroom I visited in the morning and the wait time is 2 months, also said to bring the old vehicle so we can have a look.

Came back home and started discussions with my mother. Here is the reason why my brother didn't like DIO: 1. Fiber body. 2. Too sporty look and not as decent as Activa. 3. Not shiny. The cons he pointed out are my pros! 1. Fiber body means no worries about rust and easy on pocket to replaceable upon damage. 2. Yes thats why I like it and the Activa looks good for elders (i.e age above 40) but I'm still young (25). 3. Of course, its because paint is a Matte finish. Other points of mine: 4. 2k cheaper then Activa. 5. Light weight. 6. Good built quality. I tried to convince my brother and then he became neutral. My mother doesn't give any opinions because she doesn't know much, she says to buy which ever you like.

Then about the second showroom, we had dropped it because of distance, new dealer, wait time and more price.

May 24th Morning: I took my old vehicle to the first showroom instead but SA disappointed me by saying its impossible for us to sale such a old vehicle so advised either to keep or scrap it. We didn't mind to take it to another showroom because its too far and we though they will also refuse. However, I didn't lost hopes since we have got sites like olx and quikr's for a better deal. On the other hand, I have to get rid of it before going for a new one because no body in my home knows to drive it, not even my brother.

May 28th: Took some photos of my LML Scooter and posted on olx for 8k nego. Next day I got a call from a interested buyer and asked address to see the vehicle.

May 31st Morning: Buyer came with his friend, test driven the vehicle and was quite happy. Next comes the negotiation but I'm the worst of all in terms of negotiation and my brother had gone to trip to GOA so I'm was alone to negotiate. He asked for 4k because the vehicle is nearly 15yrs old and requires plenty of money for name change, renewal, insurance, smart card and etc. Anyhow, I could drag till 4.7k only and I couldn't expect much from it as long as the buyer was trusted and he made full payment right away and took the vehicle. Meanwhile I made some temporary papers (delivery note & sale letter) for our safety. Upon phonic conversation, my brother was also ok with the sold price.

May 7th Morning: In the afternoon (12 o'clock), we went to Honda Two Wheelers Showroom to book the vehicle, the DIO. No idea why but the day was horrifying because no body used to care us, even the SA we meet before. He just said to wait for few mins but got away and never came back. After wait an hour, I asked for another SA but he too did same thing and got invisible. We spent two hours looking at other peoples and vehicles. It was a lunch hour and there were no staff members so we decided to back and return in the evening.

May 7th Evening: Went in the evening and the SA was right there. He asked us "Didn't you book the vehicle already". I was like WTH! and said "Sir who cared us?" Anyhow, he sat we us and said we have stock of matte gay and you don't even have to book, instead make a full payment. But it was already 5:30 PM and there was less then a hour to closure of showroom and the banks will be closed already, he said to come on Monday morning instead. Gave me a quotations.

May 9th Morning: We went to the showroom with full cash and the SA had gone somewhere but fortunately came back within few mins. Made some documents in the name of mine and said to wait for few mins so we can bring the vehicle from godown. One hour passed but the vehicle didn't arrived. SA asked to make the payment until it comes but we denied. We shell see it first and then make payment. Making payment without even seeing is the most stupid thing and how can he asks so? After few mins, he called us and showed the vehicle. Vehicle was little dusty but everything else was fine. It had 0.7km on the odometer, MRF Nylogrip Zapper tyres but no accessories installed. Later after checking everything, we made full payment to the cashier and took the bill. SA said, the vehicle will be ready by evening (4pm), at that time you can take the delivery. (Things to be done are: Cleaning, Accessory Fitting, Teflon coating, General checkup and Paper works). My first priority was guard grills to be steel finish aka chrome. I requested it to SA and he assured.

May 9th Evening: At 4 PM, I made a call to SA to confirm whether the vehicle is ready but it wasn't, he requested to come after an hour. We went to the showroom at 5 PM. There was too much crowd because of vehicles delivery and new visitors. SA said us to wait again for few mins but an hour gone by and nothing. We really have a great patience and therefor the staffs should be very thankful of us. If it was a another person, he would have shouted like anything. I asked again and he said everything is done, just installing body grills. Now I understood, after I came into the showroom, they started to prepare the vehicle. All the owners taken there vehicle delivery and I was last. Meanwhile he was chitchat with another customer who had bought CBR! Explaining everything whats in user manual. After few mins, SA asked to another SA to complete some more paper work and give the vehicle to me. Thank god, this SA was fast and cooperative and done everything asap. Gave all the documents (Manual, Insurance, Invoice and etc) and said temporary number takes a week to come so until then please don't ride the vehicle much otherwise we are not responsible. Took me to gate of showroom service room and bought my new HONDA DIO outside. Me and my brother were so happy to see. Everything was ready. Took some delivery signs and handed over the keys. Time was somewhat 7 pm but lucky, it wasn't dark.

Now comes my brothers roll, that is he denied to come with me on my new DIO! Instead he wanted to come back home by bus because he afraid's. I didn't forced him either because I'm new to this vehicle and cannot control in double ride so alone was better. Fuel tank was empty so went to fuel station and filled some 200 Rs of petrol. Driven to home slowly but the traffic was heavy. Its about 4 KM from the Honda Showroom to my house. Went to near by temple but the Poojary said to do pooja tomorrow at 9 am as its the good time. It was getting dark as well.

May 10th Morning: Went to the temple with my mother. Done the pooja, did circles around the temple then came back home. :)

Price breakup

Ex-Showroom Price: Rs. 46,838
Road-Tax: Rs. 5,860
Insurance: Rs. 1,248
Extended Warranty: Rs. 610
Paper Work: Rs. 1,000
Accessories: Rs. 3,815
---------------------------------------------------------------
Total: Rs. 59,371

Standard Accessories
* Seal Cover
* Body Cover
* Handle Grip
* Front and rear protection grills
* Side stand

Conclusion about Vehicle

* Powerful engine which feels much stronger. Goes like cheetah. lol
* Good built quality.
* Very smooth ride and noise free. Feels like cruising through skies.
* Brakes are strong and comfortable. Especially the so called Combi Brakes.
* Enough under-seat space for luggage or helmet. Hook for small bags is stronger as well.
* Horns are strong enough to alert pedestrians.
* Vehicle has parking lights which I liked but yet I haven't checked the strength of headlights.
* More to be posted below accordingly upon experiences.

Things I feel missed or disliked
* Headlight hazard switch
* Trip Meter
* Front Number Plate
* Shutter for lock (Like in Activa's)
* Incomplete cover in the backside of engine. Activa is well cover.
* Fiber molding could be little better in borderings.
* Seal is too light weight which is totally made of fiber. Could be little heavy.
* Kick to start the engine is little weird or uncomfortable. May take some time to get used.
* Center stand isn't so easy to put. Needs to be very careful, because rear wheel gets lifted.
* Floor mat is not part of standard accessories. Extra purchase.
* More to be posted below accordingly upon experiences.

Thats it. I have written as best as I can but if you find any mistakes or missed things, please let me know. I hope you enjoyed reading my new vehicle purchase experience. Thank You for reading. :)

I will keep posting further info as I go by. Adding some snapshots below, please have a look. Those were taken after the pooja. More photos will be posted eventually.

Honda-Dio-Front-View.jpg

Honda-Dio-Ownership-Review.jpg

Honda-Dio-Rear-Side-View.jpg

Honda-Dio-Rear-View.jpg

Honda-Dio-Rear-Wheel.jpg

Honda-Dio-Speedometer.jpg

Last edited:
Re: My Wild Kitten - THE HONDA DIO [HET]

Great review! Honda Dio is truly VFM. As you said its easier and lighter to drive than activa.
Generally they do not give even rear registration plates. I was charged for that. 200 bucks! Mirrors are free. I hope you weren't charged for that.
Any reason as to why you did not consider the TVS Jupiter or Wego?

Thread Starter #4
Re: My Wild Kitten - THE HONDA DIO [HET]

Great review! Honda Dio is truly VFM. As you said its easier and lighter to drive than activa.
Generally they do not give even rear registration plates. I was charged for that. 200 bucks! Mirrors are free. I hope you weren't charged for that.
Any reason as to why you did not consider the TVS Jupiter or Wego?
Yes I too was charged for rear number plate but as of front, they said to use vinyl. May be I will find a fit-able plate instead.

No idea or may be you were right, mirrors came with the vehicle.

As of both the vehicles you ask, either they were getting out of my budget or I didn't liked the Activa like design.

Thread Starter #5
Re: My Wild Kitten - The Honda Dio [HET]

Update: Got the temporary number today and it will expire on 9th July. Till then I can drive the vehicle without any worries. :)

On 23rd June I will be taking the vehicle checkup in RTO then I will be getting the original registration number and smart card.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Scooter. Now a days all the 2 wheelers are equipped with the digital Fuel indicators, but its great to see this one comes up with the old, reliable and accurate fuel indicator display.

Thread Starter #7

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Scooter. Now a days all the 2 wheelers are equipped with the digital Fuel indicators, but its great to see this one comes up with the old, reliable and accurate fuel indicator display.
Thanks.

Yeah it has some oldish things yet. [:)]

But not just Dio, even Activa and Aviator also has analog meters. Only in Activa 125, you can get digital display that shows fuel gauge and etc. Speedometer is same.

I think digital display is still new to scooters. Many of them are yet to get one.

On the other hand, I wish Dio had little bigger set of wheels. Especially the rear one.

But I hope they will bring us better things on the next version of Dio. Digital display, more powered engine, telescopic suspension and slightly bigger wheels.

Congratulation bro for your new Dio.. [:)] Hope you will enjoy your another Honda for many many miles. [:D]

Excellent write up and great experience with SA. DIO is master in scooters. I agree that the Activa is Uncle's scooter (40's) and Dio is youngsters.[:)]. I am planning to buy Dio but yet to get approvals from home department (Wifey) [;)].

Thread Starter #11

Excellent write up and great experience with SA. DIO is master in scooters. I agree that the Activa is Uncle's scooter (40's) and Dio is youngsters.[:)]. I am planning to buy Dio but yet to get approvals from home department (Wifey) [;)].
Thanks and I'm glad to hear about your plan on buying Dio. Its indeed a stylus scooter and gives smooth ride.

Just that the scooter feels light weight and is little unstable/unbalanced on highways. Should be careful otherwise those small wheels tend to skid easily. However this issue is common in Dio's, my friends who have dio's say same as well as many other Dio owners.

I haven't taken a Activa for test drive but I think it also has same issues because, wheels are same and weight is just 5KG more.

You better have test drive if you haven't yet, so you will understand better. Also have a look on Yamaha Ray R.

Good luck...
Best Regards

What's the mileage that you are getting?

BTW, I am contemplating to buy the Dio in the next few months. I like it's looks, style, easy to maneuver. Don't like bikes at all to ride, and prefer scooters. Have owned Activa from 2009-2011. Honda is reliable and ASS in my town is nearby and is good.

Here's what the dealer is has quoted:
Ex showroom - 47842/-
Octroi 3859/-
Insurance 1389/-
Hypothecation 450/-
On Road 53549/-
Accessories Extra
IMO, it's quite expensive when compared to Activa, however I would still prefer Honda than others because of my previous ownership experience.

Thread Starter #13

What's the mileage that you are getting?

BTW, I am contemplating to buy the Dio in the next few months. I like it's looks, style, easy to maneuver. Don't like bikes at all to ride, and prefer scooters. Have owned Activa from 2009-2011. Honda is reliable and ASS in my town is nearby and is good.

Here's what the dealer is has quoted:
Ex showroom - 47842/-
Octroi 3859/-
Insurance 1389/-
Hypothecation 450/-
On Road 53549/-
Accessories Extra
Hello,

No idea about mileage yet. My first partial fillup has still 25% fuel left in the tank and I have driven only 50km so far. [roll]

Today I had taken it for first free service (Which is scheduled at 750-1000 km or 1 month from date purchase), although I haven't driven that much, I should honor scheduled time atleast otherwise I will face warranty issues. No amount was paid since everything was fine. They have just done whatever comes under 1st free service.

You being a Honda vehicle owner, you will not feel new to the dealer and service center so no worries.

Price quoted by the dealer looks pretty good. Does Octroi mean road tax? looks cheaper.

What does dealer say about accessories? I mean are they optional or mandatory? Here they are blended with the vehicle and are mandatory to purchase.

As of Hypothecation, dealer was charging 100rs but canceled it since I made a full payment, No loan. You better seek more info about it. I don't know much about it either.

IMO, it's quite expensive when compared to Activa, however I would still prefer Honda than others because of my previous ownership experience.
Dio is expensive then Activa? [confused] you mean by price or what it offers?

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:

Price quoted by the dealer looks pretty good. Does Octroi mean road tax? looks cheaper.
Yes.

What does dealer say about accessories? I mean are they optional or mandatory? Here they are blended with the vehicle and are mandatory to purchase.
Its optional with the dealer I enquired.

As of Hypothecation, dealer was charging 100rs but canceled it since I made a full payment, No loan. You better seek more info about it. I don't know much about it either.
I too feel hypothecation will not be needed, because I would not opt for loan
Will check once the buying is finalized.
Dio is expensive then Activa? [confused] you mean by price or what it offers?
By what Dio offers, it should be about 10K cheaper than Activa. That's my opinion.

Thread Starter #15

Its optional with the dealer I enquired.
hmm good for you. I had to buy everything but anyhow all are useful things.

I too feel hypothecation will not be needed, because I would not opt for loan
Will check once the buying is finalized.
Alright.

By what Dio offers, it should be about 10K cheaper than Activa. That's my opinion.
First of all these scooters have become very costly now a days, then what they were before. As well as the resale value is less compared to bikes.

You are right about 10k thing, Activa is a VFM product, it offers for what we pay. Strong vehicle, best performance, great built quality, and easy resale. Yet Dio is prices nearly same as Activa, it doesn't offer near features. Its just the look we go for. Like mind says Activa and heart says Dio. [;)]

Top Bottom