Background: It was mid of 2011 and we were looking for a sedan for my daily commute to work and weekend drives for family. We had just purchased Alto K10 for my wife and I was using it occasionally. We were pretty much happy with a buying experience of the Maruti and shown interest towards Swift Dezire ZDI, and we booked one but it had long waiting period. So, at the same time also decided to look for other options.
4) Fuel type - Preferably diesel
5) Budget: Less than 10 Lakh
6) Looks: Not a deal breaker
Other options explored:
1) Maruti Swift dZire zDI: Overall good package except boot and waiting period.
2) Maruti SX4: Felt Outdated
3) Hyundai Verna: Appealing looks and loaded with features, but pricing was on higher side and less roomier.
I was unaware of Nissan Sunny at that time and one fine day me and my wife saw a sunny parked by road side and we were impressed. Being driven a Nissan Sentra CVT niggle free for 3 years in US we both were inclined towards this Nissan product. I searched on the internet and realized that it's Nissan Versa being sold in US market and decided to have a test drive. By that time Nissan had launched only petrol variants, so we decided to wait till the launch of diesel. Finally diesel variants were launched in early 2012 and I Called up Nissan Dealership for a test drive and they brought XV diesel. We liked the car in and out but the real problem was tight parking space. I was bit skeptical with it's 4.3 m length and 5.2 m turning radius and my parking lot is locked by pillars at it's entrance. But sales advisor managed it to park it without any issue and we decided to go with the caaaar.
Went to the dealership for booking; It was March and the Diesel variants were just launched, so there was a waiting period of 3 weeks. SA suggested us to go for XV variant and they can deliver it quicker, but I was not interested in XV as XL is equipped with all the features that I wanted ( ABS
, Airbags, ACC and Steering mounted controls). Color choice was an unanimous decison as me and wife both said bronze grey.
I requested for a delivery on Gudhi Padwa (New Year's day) and they said they will try their best.
Extended warranty: 7,000/-
Accessories(seat covers and reverse parking sensors): 7500
No discounts except corporate one.
Total: Approx. 9.2 Lakh On road.
Experience for last 2 years: Though it's a big car for city traffic, I am using it for daily commute to work (24 km one way) in Pune traffic. I have decided commute schedule and strictly following it. I start from home at 7:45 am and leave office at 5:45 pm. It helps to avoid the peak traffic hours and keep you calm. If I start from home after 9:00 am, I usually take Alto. And from office if it gets delayed beyond 6:00 pm, I wait for another 2 hours and start after 8:00 pm. I take the car for a long drive once in a month.
1) I usually get Fuel economy of 20+ kmpl with 60-70% times AC ON and 30 % highway runs. I have done highway ONLY drive on few occassions and have managed to get 23.5 kmpl once and 22.5 another time.
2) Service and Repairs: Service interval is odd (6 months/10k). I guess Scala and Pulse are at 12 months/10k intervals. Don't understand why Nissan is doing this differently. Service costs are moderate.
1ST Service: 4600 km - Rs. 2400/-
2nd Service: 11700 km - Rs. 3800/-
3rd Service: 19620 km - Rs. 4148/-
4th Service: 25193 km - Rs. 6855/-
Other Expenses: The front brakes/calipers were cleaned twice as they were making noise and costed each time around Rs. 200/. The noise issue got worsen after 24 months service and I asked to replace the caliper pin assembly. They replaced it (Cost around rs. 3600/-) and put it under warranty claim. Nissan initially rejected it, but I was persistent and Service center put it under goodwill warranty or something and Nissan finally approved it.
3) Seating and driving comfort: The space is awesome for rear and passenger seats. Even after placing car seat for infants, rear space is not compromised. For driver, the clutch and brake pedals are little bit vertically placed and causes discomfort at times. I have placed 2 additional mats to make it comfortable.
4) Engine/performance/Gears/RPM: I avoid exceeding 90 kmph, so cannot comment much. But acceleration and pickup is good on highways and overtaking is not a problem. Gear ratio is on smaller side, and up shifting is required bit quicker than expected. I normally up shift the gears at around 1800-2000 rpm. Low end RPM/torque is good to keep car in momentum in third gear in slow moving city traffic too.
5) Brakes: Lot has been said and discussed on Nissan Sunny/Micra brakes. Brakes are spongy, But so far, I am okay with it and have managed to stop car in time when it was required. Thanks to ABS
6) Road and suspension noise is audible on highways and bad roads. Engine is audible too inside the cabin.
So far I am happy with the car, except those couple of niggles with the caliper noise. Will keep posting as and when I find more to share.