Nissan Sunny XLD Ownership Review: 24 Months / 26000 Kms

Thread Starter #1
Background: It was mid of 2011 and we were looking for a sedan for my daily commute to work and weekend drives for family. We had just purchased Alto K10 for my wife and I was using it occasionally. We were pretty much happy with a buying experience of the Maruti and shown interest towards Swift Dezire ZDI, and we booked one but it had long waiting period. So, at the same time also decided to look for other options.

Requirements:
1) Sedan
2) ABS
3) Airbags
4) Fuel type - Preferably diesel
5) Budget: Less than 10 Lakh
6) Looks: Not a deal breaker

Other options explored:
1) Maruti Swift dZire zDI: Overall good package except boot and waiting period.
2) Maruti SX4: Felt Outdated
3) Hyundai Verna: Appealing looks and loaded with features, but pricing was on higher side and less roomier.

I was unaware of Nissan Sunny at that time and one fine day me and my wife saw a sunny parked by road side and we were impressed. Being driven a Nissan Sentra CVT niggle free for 3 years in US we both were inclined towards this Nissan product. I searched on the internet and realized that it's Nissan Versa being sold in US market and decided to have a test drive. By that time Nissan had launched only petrol variants, so we decided to wait till the launch of diesel. Finally diesel variants were launched in early 2012 and I Called up Nissan Dealership for a test drive and they brought XV diesel. We liked the car in and out but the real problem was tight parking space. I was bit skeptical with it's 4.3 m length and 5.2 m turning radius and my parking lot is locked by pillars at it's entrance. But sales advisor managed it to park it without any issue and we decided to go with the caaaar.

Went to the dealership for booking; It was March and the Diesel variants were just launched, so there was a waiting period of 3 weeks. SA suggested us to go for XV variant and they can deliver it quicker, but I was not interested in XV as XL is equipped with all the features that I wanted ( ABS, Airbags, ACC and Steering mounted controls). Color choice was an unanimous decison as me and wife both said bronze grey.
I requested for a delivery on Gudhi Padwa (New Year's day) and they said they will try their best.

Pricing:

Ex-Showroom: 8,18,000/-
Insurance: 21,000/-
Extended warranty: 7,000/-
Accessories(seat covers and reverse parking sensors): 7500
No discounts except corporate one.
Total: Approx. 9.2 Lakh On road.

Experience for last 2 years: Though it's a big car for city traffic, I am using it for daily commute to work (24 km one way) in Pune traffic. I have decided commute schedule and strictly following it. I start from home at 7:45 am and leave office at 5:45 pm. It helps to avoid the peak traffic hours and keep you calm. If I start from home after 9:00 am, I usually take Alto. And from office if it gets delayed beyond 6:00 pm, I wait for another 2 hours and start after 8:00 pm. I take the car for a long drive once in a month.
1) I usually get Fuel economy of 20+ kmpl with 60-70% times AC ON and 30 % highway runs. I have done highway ONLY drive on few occassions and have managed to get 23.5 kmpl once and 22.5 another time.
2) Service and Repairs: Service interval is odd (6 months/10k). I guess Scala and Pulse are at 12 months/10k intervals. Don't understand why Nissan is doing this differently. Service costs are moderate.
1ST Service: 4600 km - Rs. 2400/-
2nd Service: 11700 km - Rs. 3800/-
3rd Service: 19620 km - Rs. 4148/-
4th Service: 25193 km - Rs. 6855/-
Other Expenses: The front brakes/calipers were cleaned twice as they were making noise and costed each time around Rs. 200/. The noise issue got worsen after 24 months service and I asked to replace the caliper pin assembly. They replaced it (Cost around rs. 3600/-) and put it under warranty claim. Nissan initially rejected it, but I was persistent and Service center put it under goodwill warranty or something and Nissan finally approved it.
3) Seating and driving comfort: The space is awesome for rear and passenger seats. Even after placing car seat for infants, rear space is not compromised. For driver, the clutch and brake pedals are little bit vertically placed and causes discomfort at times. I have placed 2 additional mats to make it comfortable.
4) Engine/performance/Gears/RPM: I avoid exceeding 90 kmph, so cannot comment much. But acceleration and pickup is good on highways and overtaking is not a problem. Gear ratio is on smaller side, and up shifting is required bit quicker than expected. I normally up shift the gears at around 1800-2000 rpm. Low end RPM/torque is good to keep car in momentum in third gear in slow moving city traffic too.
5) Brakes: Lot has been said and discussed on Nissan Sunny/Micra brakes. Brakes are spongy, But so far, I am okay with it and have managed to stop car in time when it was required. Thanks to ABS.
6) Road and suspension noise is audible on highways and bad roads. Engine is audible too inside the cabin.

So far I am happy with the car, except those couple of niggles with the caliper noise. Will keep posting as and when I find more to share.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Nissan Sunny XLD Ownership review - 24 months/26000 km

Congrats dude. do post some interior snaps too.

Thread Starter #7
Thank you all. Don't have good quality pictures of interior at the moment; will take some and post it soon.

Thread Starter #9
It's difficult to explain but similar to the sound when small plastic drum rolls on the floor/ground. Not that loud of course, and can be noticed when music system is OFF.
I asked Nissan Service advisor and he suggested few things.
1) It could be because of vibration of small parts around bumper (front grill etc).
2) Tires. My car has MRF ones with 31k on ODO now. So, assuming that it cannot be sole culprit but must be a contributor.

My route is Warje-Chandani Chowk-Pashan-University Circle-Range Hills-Holkar Bridge-Yerwada-Kalyani Nagar. [:)]

Do you take the same route?

My route is NIBM, KONDHWA Saswad Road.

Can you please post break up of servicing cost?

How is the servicing interval of sunny?

Where is the NASS facility situated in Pune?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Service interval is 6 months/10000 KM, which is bit odd. I am planning to go with synthetic oil and 12s month interval once warranty is over.

1st Service - Rs. 2400
2nd - Rs. 3800
3rd - Rs 4148
4th - RS 6855
5th Rs. 6100

There are two NASS facility in Pune.
1) Oxford Nissan - Pashan - Service center near Sus Gaon.
2) Shivalik Nissan - Viman Nagar - Service center near Kharadi/Eon IT Park

Thread Starter #13
Have covered 46k so far.
Some niggles:
1) Had developed caliper pin gap and got it replaced within warranty. Did followup after warranty claim was declined initially.
2) During last service, service technician didn't tighten some mounting screws properly, and so there was some noise coming from dashboard on rough roads. Had to keep the car at service center for 3 days as they were struggling to identify the issue. They had replaced entire suspension on front left wheel one part after another in order to pinpoint the faulty part. Finally they found it's issue with mounting screws. This is the difference I found between likes of Maruti, Toyota, Hyundai and likes of Nissan, Renault, Skoda, VW. I feel if it was the case with Maruti, they would have identified it lot earlier.

Other updates:
1) Fuel Economy: Now a days, my office location has changed and I drive 90% on highways, so I consistently get fuel economy of 22-23 kmpl with AC ON 70%. Always use Shell diesel.
2) Changed MRF ZV2K at 38k with Continental CC5. Got 2000 off on old tires. Noise has gone down but it's not significant.

My queries:
1) I am planning to switch to Synthetic oil during next service, but looking at price difference not able to make decision.

Top Bottom