Maruti 800 MPFi: My Little Rocket

Thread Starter #1
Hi fellow petrol Heads,

Its Long time since I posted a reply or started a thread in TAI.

My Maruti 800 A.K.A Little Rocket Deserves this thread. [clap]
It was happened in the month of March 2008. That time we had a second hand PAL PAdmini Petro with LPG conversionl. It was an amezing car never the less. But One fine evening it made us straned in the middle of the road. That time it was 12 years old. After towing it back to home me & my Dad decided to go for a new car. I will not tell you that we had many options in our mind. It will be a lie.

I was casualy checking the price of the Brand new M800 & Alto Lx. I got a irresistable offer for M800 from one dealer. Told my Dad about the offer. He told me to go ahead and book the car. I was looking for the Red Colour. But from the family everybody was inclined towards Silver. Our bad luck Silver was not available. Only three choices. Icy cool blue, Carebian Blue & Red. Finally booked with Icy cool Blue which was little blueish Silver kind.

We took the delivery of this little rocket on 24th April 2008. It was realy a happy memory since it is the first brand new car in our family. Unfortunetly no Pics of it .[frustration]

The car is not big n space or Engine But will serve the purpose of a middle class family. Will take you out under the sun & wil protect you from the rain. in addition to that it keeps you cool with its decent A/C.

In the begining i was getting a mileage of 22Kmpl. ( New car so didn't push its limits). Gradualy i started to push the car to its limts. My average speed would be 80-90Kmph. I take the car only for the Trip from Chennai to Salem in NH only. Very Rarely i use in inside city since i am more comfortable in my bike then my car. Now my Little Rocket is giving an average of 17-18Kmpl.

There is no point discussing pros & cons here since everybody knows about M800.

The Likes about my M800 are as follows
1. Car is very practical for a daily commuter.
2. Driving is fun compared to the other compact cars like wagen R or santro. I am in the car industry for almost a decade now. I drove almost all brand b, c & D segment cars. Stil it thrills me on the control in speeds above 100Kmph. It is on its own league. I personaly owned Tata Indca, Ford Ikon & Fiat Palio FOR TWO YEARS EACH.
3. The engine is not refined and smooth. But i like it that way. i Closed the meter (150Kmph as per car's speedo, still some power left but ran out of highway to check it)
4. Light on pocket on what ever be the problem.( half engine costs 12-13 k only)
5. brakes are good. but could have been better.( i Fixed the Brake booster to sove the issue, Now i am so confident on my stopping power)
6. Economical while coming to the mileage part. The worst i got was 14Kmpl @ speeds over 100Kmph. the best was 21-22Kmpl @60-70Kmph

The things i wish for in my car
1. Ground clearance would have been better. they say it is 170mm on spec sheet. but in reality it is 120-130nwhen two on board with luggages.
2. Tyres are tiny. the grip is not inspiring in corners in the begining. but once you start taking input from the car then its all magic.
3. Light wegiht makes it go flying in highways with some sudden gradiant change.
4.Boot space is nex to nothing.so had to opt for roof carrier.
5. interiors are bare basic. but functional. (what you pay is what you get)

Now all my weekend attention wil be given to this little rocket. This will be my guinea pig for all my DIY.[lol] .I will keep you guys updated about all service expences DIYs & Mods in this very thread.

Please find some pictures taken today after a waterwash.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Maruti 800 mpfi- My Little Rocket

Very neatly maintained. Looks just out of showroom. How many kms has it clocked..

I feel the fog lamps are out of place and spoiling the entire car's looks. Also where is the number plate ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Maruti 800 mpfi- My Little Rocket

Very neatly maintained. Looks just out of showroom. How many kms has it clocked..

I feel the fog lamps are out of place and spoiling the entire car's looks. Also where is the number plate ?
35000Kms. All thanks to my Father. He took the car from me three years back. After he took over he drove only 2000Kms in three years. He was cleaning the car more the driving it.[lol]

Yes the fog lamps are really out of place they are fixed in the number plate holes. I am waiting to put it in the bull bar which is in my native. this is just a test fix DIY. i need to kill time on last sunday know?[sleep]

Hey Bro I need help in buying the Cylindrical Filter you fixed in your ride from Arrow head filters. Can you get me one?

Last edited:
Hi,
Your car is looking very good after almost 6 years. There were many tribute to the Maruti 800 arena in the websites and News papers after the Production of the Car stopped recently..

Thread Starter #6
Tachometer fitting in My Little Rocket

I have gifted my LR a Tacho. Its MGP A Star Tacho. The wiring is pretty simple.The Tacho has four wires. Red, Black Yellow & Blue. red and black are line and ground, Yellow is for background & Blue is the signal line. Signal is taken from Ignition Coil Ground.
Mounted the tacho on the center storage Lid. only two holes were required for fixing.

The View from drivers eye with only console lights. Looks cool to me actually.:biggrin:

Attachments

The tacho looks cool, why haven't you placed it on drivers side?
btw is that a scale model car along with the teddy bear on the dashboard?

Last edited:
Why not take the wires through the storage box, there is enough space to pass the wires next to the hinges of the lid.

Did you use resister in between ignition coil and the rpm gauge ?

Thread Starter #9
The tacho looks cool, why haven't you placed it on drivers side?
btw is that a scale model car along with the teddy bear on the dashboard?
Thanks. But The Driver Side was not accessible to make holes and all. But this process is completely Reversible. Only two holes were made.

Yes It was a Scale Model of Ford Ranchero. I Have One More scale model of Shelby Cobra GT. It is placed in the Dash Board.[:D]

Why not take the wires through the storage box, there is enough space to pass the wires next to the hinges of the lid.

Did you use resister in between ignition coil and the rpm gauge ?
I Didn't Want to drill any holes in the Dash. So Left it Like that. May be some time later i might route it through the Storage Compartment.
I have not installed any Resistor yet. But will do it soon. I am also having the fluctuation in the needle. Need to sort this out.[frustration]

Top Bottom