Red Beast Arrives: Pre-owned Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider

Thread Starter #1
Well it’s been over a year since I came back from US and decided to settle back in India for good after spending 5 years in US. And life got really busy ever since I came to India. I was driving the XUV until I realized that it is taking a lot of miles and covered almost 28.5k kms in 1 year and 32K all together. Last one and half year has been like a auto shopping spree for me and my family. We have bought 3 vehicles in that time period.

1. Yamaha R15 V2 - 30th July 2012
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-r15-v2-limited-edition-ownership-review.html

2. Mahindra XUV 500 - 26th November 2012
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-w8-ownership-review-30-000-kms-achieved.html

3. Hyundai Eon – 15th April 2013
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...2458-hyundai-eon-d-lite-ownership-review.html

Ever since my arrival my running has been a lot and inspite of buying 3 vehicles we were falling short of one more vehicle. The reason was my dad was using the Eon and my brother R15 now what’s left for me was XUV. For last one year I had been using it for local, market and highway drives. But now was the time to get another set of wheels for myself so that the DRACO gets some rest and be used for highway drives and occasional matters.

Now it was sure that this purchase will be a second hand car and the budget I kept was between 2 – 3 lacs. I was willing to spend 30-40K on the vehicle I would buy but only if I get a vehicle for about 2.5L around. Since I drive a lot it had to be a diesel. So I was kind of very clear in my mind what I need and what and where to spend. My requirements were not that long on the list but I’ll pen down some:
- Sedan/hatch
- Diesel
- Disc brakes, ABS, Airbags would be a plus
- Good A/c – as I am suppose to drive in Delhi & you know “ Delhi ki Garmi”
- Decent mileage and comfortable for atleast 4 people.

Cars I considered:
Skoda Octavia
Chevrolet Optra
Swfit
Dzire
Fiesta Classic
Figo
Fabia

Honestly speaking I was always bent towards Octavia as it has been one of my most favorite sedan from a long time and there was always this urge to own one someday. Still I was open to different cars as well. I test drove quite a few cars like Fiesta, Figo, Optra and Octavia. After TDing about 15 cars I was still not satisfied with any one of them.

So finally called up my cousin in Saharanpur and told him to look out for a car. Why I called him? because he knows lot of dealer who deal in used car business and that place is full of used cars. He has changed 11 cars in 2 years, YES you read it right 11[:D]. I got a return call from my cousin in about 30 mins and he told me that there are 2 Octavia’s for sale. I told him that I will be there tomorrow and next day 7:00 AM I left for Saharanpur from Bhiwadi (265 km) in our DRACO.

I reached Saharanpur by 1:00 PM and met my cousin at a place directed by my cousin and then we straight away went to the dealer and checked out both the Octavia. One was white with 70K on ODO and another one was red with 78K. I liked the red one. Took the TD of both and I straight away choose the red one out of both of them. It was 2005 1.9TDi Rider and had 78000kms on it. Took couple of TD’s both me and my cousin, checked the car thoroughly and got it checked by a mechanic as well. This mechanic has been working on diesel Octavia’s for about 7 years now and knows in and out of the car. And my cousin knows this guy really well. Paid 20K cash to the dealer and ended the day.

Next day woke up early as I was getting restless because finally my dream of owning an Octavia was going to be true. Took a quick shower had my breakfast and we left for the dealer. picked up the car and paid the rest of the amount 2.3L. After that straight away went to my cousin friends shop and got the system installed including (Sony XAV HU, amplifier, JBL bass tube and reverse camera). Then got the taping done on the roof, hood, boot and A/B pillars. And next day headed back to my hometown (220 km) from Saharanpur to Moradabad.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: RED BEAST arrives - (Pre-owned Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi Rider)

Driving Experience and ownership experience:

I am flattened by the high speed dynamics of this car. It’s a heavy and solid built beast and they way it picks up and once you are in the turbo range every inch the accelerator goes down you can feel the fun. Now since it’s a old engine and diesel the engine noise is quite audible when the car is still but once you hit the highway, the noise level goes down.

The doors, hood and the trunk are really heavy and the steering is bit on the harder side. The next good thing about this beast is the FE. On the highways I have attained 3-3.5-4 L/100 km. Next the ride quality is just amazing it glides over potholes and high speed stability is really good and one of the factors for this is the weight of the car.

The drivers seating position is really good. There are so many options available to set your perfect driving position using the Tilt and Telescopic steering wheel. Adjusting the driver’s seat and the height of the driver seat. Both the driver and passenger seats height can be adjusted. But the rear legroom gets bit cramped if the front seats are occupied by 6” plus

Another plus point of this vehicle is the massive boot. I have fitted a JBL bass tube and even after fitting that there is loads of empty space left. Will post the pics.

What I like:
- German engineering – 1.9TDi engine
- Front Airbags
- Good FE
- Tank like built quality
- Quality of material used inside – Dashboard and all buttons.
- Power windows
- Tinted glass
- Chiller AC
- Huge Trunk ( I have JBL bass tube fitted in the trunk and still there is loads of space)
- Height adjustable driver and passenger seat
- Tilt and Telescopic Steering

What I don’t like:
- Steering on the harder side
- Rear legroom is bit cramped but not bad.
- Skoda A.S.S ..lol (Though I am not taking my CAR to skoda ASS but still). My brother wanted to get a diagnostic check in his Octavia and they told him that it will cost 2500/-. I got it done for him for Rs 0/- only.
- Light throw was not that good: But taken care off. (Installed a relay).
- Braking could have been better.

Things that I got done:

1. Sony XAV - 65 (Touch Screen HU) - Rs 12,500
2. WorldTech Reverse Cam - Rs 1000
3. WordTech 2 Channel Amp (3400 watts) - Rs 2300
4. JBL Bass Tube 1100 Watts - Rs 3500 - This would cost between 5000-6500 in market.
5. Roots VIP horns - Rs 1650 /-
2. 1. Ball Joint -
2. Tire Rod Ends -
3. Tire Rod - Item 1-3 Total Rs 2500/-
4. Axle boot - Rs 300/-
5. Engine Oil - Rs 3500/- (Oil used was BOSCH 5W-40 100% synthetic)
5. Diesel Filter - Rs 500/-
6. Mobile Filter - Rs 250/-
7. Air Filter - Checked and cleaned. Didn't require to be changed.
8. Injectors checked and cleaned. - Free of Cost
9. labor - Rs 200/-

TOTAL: Rs 28250/-

Things need to be taken care off:
- Doors are making squeaking noise, so I will be replacing the entire door beadings.
- Rear parcel tray is kinda loose so it makes noise when driven over potholes. So have to get it fixed.

Pics coming up soon...

Re: RED BEAST arrives - (Pre-owned Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi Rider)

Congrats Singh890. Nice to see another red octavia in the forum. Apart from all the works done, just check and clean the EGR valve, fuel pump and air intake manifold. You can feel the transformation. Initially i felt little strain when reaching higher speeds > 130. After cleaning all these, 150 seems to be cake walk and engine did not strain at all.

Nice one, i was looking forward to this, but please singh saab, photos are essential! I have always liked the Octavia, the new one i drool over especially!

Btw sorry for my ignorance whats a mobile filter at 250rs ?

Thread Starter #6
Congrats Singh890. Nice to see another red octavia in the forum. Apart from all the works done, just check and clean the EGR valve, fuel pump and air intake manifold. You can feel the transformation. Initially i felt little strain when reaching higher speeds > 130. After cleaning all these, 150 seems to be cake walk and engine did not strain at all.
Thanks buddy and i'll definitely get the above things checked.

Hi,
Congratulations on your Octavia. Post some pictures of exteriors and interiors.
Wishes to clock many more miles in it.
Thanks mate.

Nice one, i was looking forward to this, but please singh saab, photos are essential! I have always liked the Octavia, the new one i drool over especially!

Btw sorry for my ignorance whats a mobile filter at 250rs ?
Thanks IR buddy and pics will be up in couple of hours.

And that's not your ignorance, infact it's a typo. It's the mobil oil filter. [:D]

Congrats buddy for the octy. It still looks fantastic and has got that 'macho' feel too. I wish it had a more powerful diesel heart.
Why not a 1.8 TPi BTW?

Photo kahaan hain?

Thread Starter #8
Congrats buddy for the octy. It still looks fantastic and has got that 'macho' feel too. I wish it had a more powerful diesel heart.
Why not a 1.8 TPi BTW?

Photo kahaan hain?
Thanks buddy.

And my running is on the higher side so petrol was not an option.

Pics should be up soon. Just busy with some meetings and a lot of driving[;)]. But will try to put them up today itself.

Conhgratzz Singh Saab for your new beast.

Those black strips is your creativity or it was same before the purchase?

Anyways car looks cool in the current avatar. :-)

Wish you have many happy miles and many high speed corners on your new machine. [evil]

Thread Starter #10
Conhgratzz Singh Saab for your new beast.

Those black strips is your creativity or it was same before the purchase?

Anyways car looks cool in the current avatar. :-)

Wish you have many happy miles and many high speed corners on your new machine. [evil]
Thank you my friend for you kind words and wishes[:)].

It was actually my creativity. Both me and cousin got it done together. And actually the black is matching the red. Will keep it for a while. [:D]

Thread Starter #11
Though i am late but here you guys. Was caught up with some work.

IMG_3177.JPG

Those are roots VIP horns. And i have put a relay as well hence the sound is brilliant.
IMG_3178.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

Thread Starter #12
That's the JBL bass tube and amp. See the boot space i was talking about inspite of keeping the bass tube.
IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

The boot door goes real up high when opened and this strap comes in handy to close it. Liked it.
IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

Congrats buddy. Car looks neat and well maintained. Wishing you happy miles ahead.

Octavia was in my radar when I was looking for a used diesel sedan, unfortunately I couldn't find a decent one. Solid build couple with a powerful & efficient engine is delight on highways.

Top Bottom