Ownership Report - Mahindra Xylo

Thread Starter #1
To start off, I just want to highlight what actually I have faced as an owner of the Xylo, to inform other members out here, about my personal experiences, since that is what is really the main purpose of posting on this site. I've nothing against any one or any company, just want to make that clear to all concerned.

To answer the query of me selling my Innova & going in for the Xylo:-
1) Yes I did so with my 'Eyes Open' fully aware of what may be the consequences/negatives & what have you.
2) Being fiercely proud of being INDIAN, I want to give any opportunity that I can to further my fellow Indians Efforts. Hence I always believe in 'Be Indian - Buy Indian', wherever its possible & worth it.
3) I do believe that Xylo is worth my Money, BUT it is also very IMPORTANT for Mahindra to pay ATTENTION TO LITTLE DETAILS, thats where it really counts.
4) There are quite a few aspects where the Xylo scores over the Innova, YES ITS TRUE!

Having said that, now I would like Mahindra to repay my faith entrusted in them by sorting out all the defects that i have faced with their vehicle & hopefully learn from these mistakes of theirs & further Improve their products, coz with the Xylo, Mahindra truly has taken a huge leap forward from where they were & i hope that they continue to go even further.

I now await the next step with me scheduled to take the Xylo for its 1st Free Service, during the weekend. Fingers crossed, I hope to get things sorted!

hey denom,

Your "Be Indian - Buy Indian" really inspired me and i respect it.[clap]

I am sure you will get all your problems sorted out during your servicing.
As our friends suggested you can even try writing to the officials.

All the best.[cheers]

Thread Starter #3
XYLO 1st Free Service Report

As had mentioned earlier in the week, I had fixed an appointment for my Xylo's 1st Free Service with the Dealer where I purchased my vehicle & here is my experience on the same.

Appointment was fixed for 0900 hrs in the morning & knowing how we Indians work, purposely left my house late & reached the workshop @ 0935 hrs. On reaching, was made to announce my arrival to the Service Advisor who in turn told me to meet the 'Appointment Fixer' lady, who 1st checked my name & vehicle details in the 'Vehicle Appointment List' for the day. Then was sent back to the 'Advisor Station', where was told to wait for my turn as other customers who arrived earlier had to be attended to 1st. Saw 4 odd customers were waiting there & they were attended to leisurely 1 by 1. Half an hour already wasted, I showed my displeasure for being kept waiting for so long & made it known to the service advisors, who then said that I was LATE! Wow, now angry at being told off, I went to meet the CEO of the workshop, who listened to my complaint calmly & then instructed his assistant to look into the matter. Now, I wait for further 10 mins when 1 service advisor finally attends to me & starts the process of opening the Job Card. Since it was just a routine 1st free service, told the service advisor to just get the Engine Oil/Oil Filter changed, carry out basic underbody inspection & handover the vehicle to me, even if the vehicle was not washed. Given assurance that all will be done to my satisfaction, i am told the approx charges for the consumables & that vehicle will be ready by 1600 hours. To this I told him that I would be waiting to collect the vehicle & hence again requested him to complete the job by 1300 hours, was told he will try his best. That being done, I started checking the progress of my vehicle leaving the parking area & entering the workshop. Its 1030 now & wait is on! Seeing no action being taken, I again meet the CEO, who by now introduces me to the Workshop Manager, who assures me that my vehicle is being attended to as we speak. On showing him that my vehicle is still in the parking area, again some calls made & instructions given to take my vehicle in the workshop bay. In this wait I see my vehicle being shifted from one place to the other. Finally at 1130, vehicle enters the workshop 'Quick Repairs Service' bay, lifted on hoist & work actually commences! I manage to sneak in & stand next to my vehicle being attended to, Underbody checked, Oil Drained/Filter replaced, Vehicle lowered & Oil replenished, all other fluid levels checked & topped up where necessary/battery electrolyte levels checked/topper up, lights & accessories checked, door locks greased, job card scribbled on, vehicle ready to leave repair bay & enter washing bay. Time taken to undertake actual service, 50 minutes, vehicle interiors now cleaned/vaccumed/mats washed & put back. Now onto underchassis & body wash. Since its nearing 1300 hrs, lunch time bells ring in my head & I manage to get the Job Card 'Closed' + Invoice & Gate Pass prepared, pay up 1493/- & dash off to see my vehicle just entering washing bay. Washing bay in charge seeing me run from time I entered the workshop premises, takes Pity on me, assures me that he will get the job completed in lunch hours, GOD BLESS HIM!
After another 45 minutes, vehicle ready for me to drive off, pay Tip to washing guys & leave workshop at 1400 hours.
That basically covers my 1st Free Service Adventure!
Some of you may find it a bit long & boring, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible & highlight the fact that if you don't run around & get behind the guys doing their job, you will never get anything done on time!
In between all of this, when was chatting with the CEO, was informed of a new sprawling Service Station being readied which will put a stop to what I faced today & that it will be 'State Of The Art'... Hopefully, by the 2nd free service, I will experience the new place & without fail report on my findings.

Thread Starter #4
Just to keep you guys updated on my Xylo, got the 1st free service done & out of the way, today & have got following cleared:-
1) Engine Noise - Nothing serious, the sound that is made (Cring/Crang/Gring to describe it!) is made by the EGR Unit (Exhasut Gas Recirculation), when disconnected the noises stop.
2) Rattles & Squeaks - Have mysteriously stopped by themselves, no sign of them even when driving on rough patches, thank God for that!
3) The Hand Brake Lever Slot Rubber Gasket, Light Stalk & Dash Board Trim to be replaced under warranty. All of these Parts have been requisitioned & to be replaced on availability.
4) 2nd Gear Hard To Engage Especially during cold starts - Apparently this is a problem faced by most Xylo Owners, hopefully Mahindra will look into this & rectify it in future.

Charges for 1st Free Service - 1493/- (Covers cost of Engine Oil 7 L + Oil Filter & Taxes)

Thanks for sharing this Denom. Nice and informative review of the 1st service. Which dealer is this in Mumbai? And hopefully you will not have these small niggles with the second service.

Cheers,
Vroom

Thanks for sharing this Denom. Nice Review of the Service Centre.

Please do quote your service centre name, as other people can avoid it in future :)

Thread Starter #8
As I have mentioned in another thread, I managed 600 odd kilometers in a hectic 1 day trip from Mumbai to Navsari, taking detours at areas in between. I wanted to get the 1st free service out of the way before taking my Xylo out for a little road trip & so wasted no time in hitting the highway after the said service was done. Since the start of my ownership experience with the Xylo has been far from satisfactory, I was just hoping that doing a road trip, the Xylo would redeem itself & make up for lost time & did she exactly do that or what!
No sooner that I really hit the highway & got some clear stretches of roads which were still left in a decent state that I started putting the hammer down to see exactly what she can do. I managed to hit 160 on a certain stretch which was amazing as it was so effortless with the engine feeling as if it was barely breaking a sweat. From then on it was a constant 120-140 k's whenever I could. Just the fact that I could do such speeds without even me realising it was quite unexpected. The AC was always ON as its really become hot & humid these past few days. That & the torque that is available at hand is so much fun since one has to constantly face idiotic fools on the highway driving an assortment of vehicles, playing games with you & you playing with them just like in arcade mode of a Gaming Console! Just when you are doing 120 odd, some brainless trucker decides to cut your lane fully seeing you flashing lights & honking like a maniac to make him stop in his tracks & yet he cuts in front of you. Then starts the sudden braking on your part whilst you simultaneously abuse the nut job who is causing you this trouble, continue to honk & then just as he moves out of the way, just dab the accelerator & continue in 5th gear back to where I was in the speed zone. At the most I had to shift down to 4th, but no lesser than that, which was so much better than what I had to do in the Innova! Speed issue out of the way, let me now cover the suspension part. Small ruts & potholes are no issue at all, infact even small speed breakers & rumblers are to be treated with disdain in the Xylo, as I just avoided braking for them & continued to maintain the speed I was doing. The suspension is on the harder side, but then it should be when one takes the size & height of the vehicle into consideration. The brakes do give the feel of inadequacy but then its better that you don't have wheels locking up in panic hard braking situations, as I faced one where I had to avoid either - 1) ramming into back side of a dumper, 2) going over Divider. Thankfully I managed avoiding both options & landed up swerving the Xylo just about in the middle of the two! Cornering has to be done at speeds keeping the CG of the Vehicle in mind, though the rear torsion bar does work well in avoiding the rear swinging in an alarming way. That said I could easily corner at 80-90 at appreciable curves but slow down to 50 odd at sharp ones. Best part was that after driving for such a distance in the time frame of 24 hours, I was not tired at all. The combination of a comfortable seat further improved by custom made covers with additional supports at crucial areas & provision of a dead pedal (very important especially for tall drivers) surely had to be credited for me being fresh as a daisy. So end of the story, I now feel quite happy with the Xylo, lets hope she continues to keep me happy for a long time. As for the FE, I managed to get 14 with AC always ON + sudden braking / loss of momemtum due to idiots that I wrote about above + including stretches of approach roads connecting the highways where I had to literally crawl in 1st or 2nd gear at speeds of 5 k's due to lack of any thing called a ROAD! So, FE is quite satisfactory too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey denom, your first service was just the same as my estilo's first service. Except i dint meet CEO, just kept nagging the service in charge there. I was also standing beside my vehicle , though now and then i was advised to wait in waiting room.

Thread Starter #15
Yeah, Denom. Do post some pics of your ride.
Will do so shortly..

How is your Xylo doing mate?
Why no pics & constant updation about your ride?
Yeah, kinda boring to do so as have had nothing much to report on except the flaws[anger]

Will post the pics soon, with tons of scratches here & there due thanks to variety of reasons: jealous people, kids, cement rains, tree sap, bird droppings all occuring due to the vehicle being parked at various parking areas[frustration]
whilst carrying out sorties at the market, mall, hospital & so on.....

Waiting for the rains to finish & then will get her polished

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom