My First Diesel Hatch: Maruti Suzuki Ritz VDi (Used) Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
I am Newbie here, I don’t have much experience of writing a review, your suggestions, views are welcome (about write-ups as well.)
I was using ford fiesta 1.4 Exi Petrol 2006 till last year. My family member wanted diesel car, just to cut the running cost even though my usage is not that much, so we decided to buy diesel hatch as sedan would be out of my budget plus considering the traffic condition in Pune, buying hatchback was only choice. (Just for your information Pune has most two wheeler in the world and undisciplined people when it comes to following traffic rules and basic common sense of behavior on road)

Cars Considered:
Ford Figo: As I had ford car as loyal customer, I booked Ford Fito Titanium Diesel (New), when I did this, I was in two minds. There were several reasons to support this like poor ASS and Costly and unavailability of spares, Low FE, absence of front power window even on Top Titanium variant. So I cancelled the booking, fortunately dealer didn’t deduct anything form booking amount as cancellation charges.

Later I took TD of Hyundai’s Grand i10, I really liked the car, everything was as per my need and within my budget, but because of major financial problem I had to drop that plan.

After few months when I recovered financially, again started my hunt for car, only change was used car instead of new one, and when it comes to used car, for me choice was either Maruti or Hyundai. Criteria was, below 40K mileage, and good FE, maximum budget was 4.5 Lakh rupees. Searched for i20 but didn’t get it. Didn’t get Swift either.

One day I visited to Mahindra first choice to check the availability and found that there were 45 cars but only 4 diesel and only one hatchback that was Maruti Suzuki Ritz VDi, I took test drive, had discussion about price and other details. I came out of the store and there was cartrade.com used car showroom, visited there and there also found only few diesel car and only a Ritz VDi. This one was 20K more driven and 1 year older to the first one. Meanwhile I did though research about Ritz, asked one of my friends who owns Ritz LDi, got positive review from him, asked my father, after his nod (conditions good FE and Low Maintenance cost) decided to confirm Ritz VDi from MFC.

Booking:
Next day I visited MFC just to get more information about Ritz, took long test drive and decided to book it. Only problem was tires were worn out. Considering this I started negations with Sales person. After several rounds of discussions, including meeting with owner of store, I finalized on Rs. 4,33,000.00
Mahindra First choice promised following things.
1 Year comprehensive insurance.
40K Service as per Schedule.
Comprehensive warranty on Engine, Gear Box, Front wheel drive, Rear Axle, Propeller Shaft, Suspension and Steering, Braking System, Diesel injection System, Clutch, Fuel System, Electrical System, Air Conditioning and 24X7 RSA. Transfer of ownership charges by them. Next free service (Labour cost.)

Paid Rs.10,000.00 as booking amount, Next day completed the other formalities, took 2 lakh loan from HDFC. Paid the remaining balance, SA told I will get delivery on next day with servicing, internal cleaning Rubbing and polishing.

On Delivery day:
Took a half day off from work to personally monitor the servicing, but couldn’t do it as car was taken to other service station, finally car arrived, only work pending was cleaning, rubbing and washing.
I did the PDI, checked all functions like lights, Wiper, Power windows, Music System working properly, underbody checkup. Everything was satisfactory.
This car had 195/55/R15 alloys, Many TAI members suggested to stick to R14 but that was not option. Fortunately I found another Ritz VDi with When I saw other Ritz with OEM 14” alloys with 19K Odometer reading and asked SA about swap, initially he was not ready, but later I got them for 5K, I got 15” alloy spare wheel , I had 14” steel spare wheel.

In the evening my cousin came with sweets and Pooja Thali, did Pooja, distributed sweets, they gave 3 liter diesel complementary. Went to local tyre showroom and changed all 5 tires. Refueled car with tankful diesel about 40 liter. Took car to famous Chatushrungi temple.

About the Ritz:
Likes: It’s Spacious, good interiors, good headroom, legroom, comfortable seats, as reported good FE, very good ground clearance, Maruti’s Proven ASS.

Dislikes: Engine noise, it can be heard even all windows are closed. Little heavy steering and the famous rear end of Ritz

Overall experience:
I drove my Ritz about 200 Km since delivery, I found no problem in driving at all, neither in heavy Pune traffic nor on Highway, no niggle, I like the way it cruises at 2000 RPM, you can feel the turbo Kick. Hopefully it will remain the same.

Upgrades:
Changed stock Philips 12V 65/55W headlights to Bosch 12V 100/95W
Car perfume and Ganpati Bappa idol is pending, will bring today
Put TAI Sticker on the hatch lid.

Planning a trip to my native place soon, will update the experience.

Special vote of thanks to all the members of TAI for their valuable suggestions.

Here are some Pics right from washing, delivery, in the showroom, at temple, Khadakwasla Dam and interior and exterior photos.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: My first Diesel Hatch its Maruti Suzuki Ritz VDi (used)

congratulation for the car. Your car looks to be in very mint condition.
Drive safe.

Congratulations on your used car. Drive Safe.
Wishing you trouble free ownership.

Ankit

Congrats on the Ritz and very nice write up and pictures.

Did you pay 5K more for the OEM ZXI alloys and gave your alloys back? Thats a steal if you got 5 alloys at that price.

Which brand tyres did you put and what size ?

Thread Starter #6

Congrats on the Ritz and very nice write up and pictures.

Did you pay 5K more for the OEM ZXI alloys and gave your alloys back? Thats a steal if you got 5 alloys at that price.

Which brand tyres did you put and what size ?

I didn't buy tires nor wheels , those are stock JK tires which comes with ZXi and ZDi, those are 19 thousand Km used. I exchanged with my old 195 15 alloys.

here in pic of 5th tyre. Which is unused.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ok, in that case its a pretty good deal at 5K. The tyres will run another 15K for sure.

Thread Starter #8

Ok, in that case its a pretty good deal at 5K. The tyres will run another 15K for sure.
Yes, otherwise I had to purchase new tires today itself.
Now I have 185/14 alloys so there wont be any issue with FE and suspension right?

Yes, otherwise I had to purchase new tires today itself.
Now I have 185/14 alloys so there wont be any issue with FE and suspension right?
Not likely because they are OEM specification. Update on your FE figures.

Congrats .. your car looks stunning. [cheers]

Wish you a problem free ownership & Unlimited Happy & safe miles. [drive]

Those are Original ZXI/ZDI Alloys...Looks very nice. You took correct decision at right time.

One question though - How come the IRVM not equipped with Day/Night facility ? Or is it not visible in the picture ?
Only LXI/LDI don't have these feature.

Any kind of Relay used for 100/90 bulbs or they hooked up direct ?

----------

Last edited:
@Pankaj

Congrats for your Ritz and welcome to TAI Ritz club !!

It is a workhorse and absolute no nonsense car and importantly SUV type seating.

Would like to hear from you soon on the following

1.Bodyroll
2.Sudden braking on highway with speeds of 100kmph
3.Clutch feel in bumper to bumper traffic

Congats on your first car Ritz. [:)] Wish you many happy miles with her.
Looking forward to hear more from you in terms of performance, acceleration, overall handling and cornering at high speeds.

Sir, pardon my ignorance, what is suv type seating in ritz? [confused]
i have heard the analogy a few times.
IR, it is simple and nothing much to break head !! I mean to say that the seating never looks like cramped and it is on a good height also ingress/egress is easy[:)]

Top Bottom