Blacksport's Black Ecosport - A Short Review

Thread Starter #1
Here is a short review of my Ecosport AT. I had planned to write a review long ago, but as time went by, and when the initial enthusiasm slowly died off, I felt that the car does not deserve another thread of its own. But nevertheless, I endeavor on this short review which I have little plans of updating as time goes by.

I'd start by detailing what I wanted out of this purchase, then get into the positives, then the negatives and a conclusion.

es0.jpg
I wanted a single car which is an all-rounder cos like most Bangaloreans, I do not enjoy the luxury (parking space) to own multiple cars

In a nutshell, I wanted a compact car that is easy to drive in the city while being stable and safe in the highway. To be honest, the Ecosport AT delivers on all the above stated objectives. Only when I delve into the finer details would you understand where things go wrong. But, let me start with the positives first.

Compact: It is easy to drive and park in the city. My earlier car, a D segment sedan was a nightmare when it comes to finding a parking slot in Bangalore city. I could live with the width, but a narrower one would not hurt. After all, for a family of two, all we really needed was a small hatch. So the Ecosport was the right choice. It can now drive through narrow lanes as well as fit into tight parking spaces.

Easy to drive: Steering is light, although a bit too light for me since I was coming from a hydraulic steering. But I adapted quickly, and when I had to get back to my old car on the odd day, its steering felt too hard. I had to quickly sell it off. The Ecosport, unlike the sedan does not scrape the under-body on Bangalore signature bumps. Also worth mentioning is the seating position. I am still living in the sedan mode, so have adjusted the seat height to the lowest possible, but still it gives a commanding view of the road. It gives me a confidence that a regular car would not give.

Stable and safe on the highway: With the exception of a dead spot on the middle of the steering, highway runs are joyous. No bobbing up and down on bad roads and very chuck-able. Weaving between traffic just need a flick of the wrist, and there is no appreciable body roll. It does give a slight floating feeling compared to the sedans, but it is just a matter of getting used to. And there are six airbags, ABS, ESP and EBA to keep you feeling safe.

And, it is quite a looker. From every angle. There is not one panel that looks like it is an afterthought. No bit of chrome that is overdone. The headlamps, the grille, the wing mirrors, the tail lamps everything speaks one word: CLASS.

es8.jpg
I don't think anything south of 10L rupees looks better than an Ecosport

Now, on to the negatives:

Engine: is a mixed bag. It gives good mileage for a petrol AT dragging 1.3 tonnes of weight. But below 3000 rpm there is no life in the engine. I don't live for mileage. Ford has tuned the engine for mileage, and to make matters worse, the transmission tries to keep you in the 1000-2000rpm range. To get anything better, you have to floor the accelerator, and while the transmission takes its own sweet time to shift down, what makes me mad is that, the moment you take your foot off the pedal, the engine shifts up. Things are only slightly better in sport mode. Only consolation is the manual gear selection toggles, but I didn't buy an AT to do the shifting myself, so that is a fail.

es5.jpg
Without this, the Ecosport is a dud in the highway.

Suspension: In one word, it breaks my back. On all the bad roads that you find in Bangalore city, each and every undulation is felt in the spine. If you don't slow down on bumps, the car jumps. The suspension is not just unbecoming for an SUV but even for a family car. The suspension is not at all suitable for Indian conditions. Currently I run the tyres with 29PSI so that it soaks up some of the shocks. I did some research on suspension modification and then decided against it becuase I did not want to inadvertently alter the driving dynamics.

Steering: The steering is light, but often too light. There is the dead spot which is sometimes irritating at highway speeds. It is annoying at city speeds too. EPS sensitivity is low in the middle, so quick flicks often do not turn the car by a great measure. Couple of inches on both sides of the center is vague.

Interiors: Exteriors and interiors of the Ecosport are a study in contrast. While it looks like a premium car from the outside, inside it looks and feels downmarket. The seats are small both in the front and in the back. Underthigh support is not great. Plastics are cheap, and already started to rattle. The whole area near the gear shifter area is crude. The buttons on the console are extremely hard to press.

The audio system: I don't use CDs and prefer to use a USB drive. I have a 16GB drive plugged into the slot. I don't rely on the system's indexing based on artists, albums etc. I believe that this concept would only work in the western world. I manage my music myself in folders, so when I have to change a folder, the selection process is extremely tedious. Also the responsiveness is poor. It takes half a second after you push a button for the system to respond. I am not a fan of talking to machines, so I don't use the voice commands. The few times I used it for testing, it did not understand the command correctly and instead did something else.

The headlights: It was unbelievable, and I had to meet another Ecosport face to face to understand how pathetic the headlights are. No car that is coming towards you would even acknowledge you even if you flash the high beams. My prescription glasses have a problem with high beams. And the cabbies do not care to use the dipper. I upgraded the bulbs to the brightest legal ones available in the market - the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. Things haven't improved a lot. The proble, I feel, is with the reflectors. I think it scatters the light all over the place rather than making a pointed beam.

es4.jpg
Headlights need a serious upgrade. I would have done it today if I could still keep the warranty intact.

Conclusion:
This is a car for which I waited for, for a year and a half. I booked it without a test drive, heck even without seeing it once in person. When I finally did a test drive, I came out less than impressed. But then it was too late, cos the heart had made up its "mind". In the run up to the launch there was a huge speculation about the price. Since it was based on the Fiesta, I expected it to be priced in its vicinity. I was fine with that price while secretly hoping that the ex-showroom price stays below the 10L mark. 12-12.5L on road felt to be the right price for me to pay. The fact that they ended up pricing it a full 1.5L cheaper than my expected price, gave me doubts regarding the quality of the car. And when the car arrived, it was my worst expectation that came true. I would have still liked it if they had not cut the quality and priced it a bit higher. At the end this please-all vehicle does not please me at all very much.

Finally, one for the road:
es1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Congratulations on your New Ford Ecosport. Wishes to clock many more miles.
Upload some of the interior pictures too.

My Car also will be parked in the same (Building) Place where you parked the car...[:D]

Thread Starter #5
Hi,
Congratulations on your New Ford Ecosport. Wishes to clock many more miles.
Upload some of the interior pictures too.

My Car also will be parked in the same (Building) Place where you parked the car...[:D]
Thanks. You mean, MLPL or Radha Regent? ;)

Thanks Blacksport for your review.I am holding to the Ecosport AT booking,but after reading your review I'm really having second thoughts.The next best AT is Jetta at 23 lakhs,which is out of my reach.Or else I will have to wait for Zest AMT.

^^@blacksport, great to read an excellent unbiased review which help many others while deciding for this car.
@draneesh, think seriously on this based on this review, forget about the power, but how about comfort

That's awesome mate. I tried maximum to book ecosport in chennai. Sadly the bookings were stopped at that time and I was forced to pick the Grand i10 AT :(

Congrats!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
congrats blacksport. But I'm sorry for the little hitch you have in your heart regarding the decision of going for ecosport and it surely helps the members who have this car in their mind. thank you for your unbiased review..!

Thread Starter #11
Congrats on your Ecosport.Nice review,waiting for more pics.
Thanks for the wishes. Pics are scarce since I had not taken it for a trip. The car has done only regular commutes during the last 6+ months.
Thanks Blacksport for your review.I am holding to the Ecosport AT booking,but after reading your review I'm really having second thoughts.The next best AT is Jetta at 23 lakhs,which is out of my reach.Or else I will have to wait for Zest AMT.
Don't decide anything based on my review. There are a lot of positive reviews around. If you can, get hold of an AT and drive yourself. If you happen to be in Bangalore, PM me.
^^@blacksport, great to read an excellent unbiased review which help many others while deciding for this car.
@draneesh, think seriously on this based on this review, forget about the power, but how about comfort
I too am more worried about the suspension than the engine. I am able to overcome a good deal of the lack of performance by shifting to "S" mode and burying the pedal. Reducing the air pressure increases comfort only by a bit. And I forgot to mention, what annoys me most about the suspension is, while negotiating irregular bumps the car sways wildly making you wobble around.
That's awesome mate. I tried maximum to book ecosport in chennai. Sadly the bookings were stopped at that time and I was forced to pick the Grand i10 AT :(

Congrats!!!
Thanks. The grand is one beautiful looking hatch. This might be one fluidic design that would stand the test of time. The fluidic Verna has already stated to look boring.
congrats blacksport. But I'm sorry for the little hitch you have in your heart regarding the decision of going for ecosport and it surely helps the members who have this car in their mind. thank you for your unbiased review..!
Thanks. I do not really regret my decision to buy the Ecosport. Even today, I would still buy one. Simply because, I don't see any credible alternative to the Ecosport at the moment. If Yeti had an AT, I might have gone for that. Would never touch a Duster/Terrano.

Just that I am not sure i would keep the Ecosport for a very long time.

Last edited:
Thanks Blacksport for the unbiased review at ES AT, it really helped me to imagine (kind off) the dynamics of this car. Truly speaking i have been looking out for an Urban SUV (hate those bull dozer type full blow SUV's available in the market, as i do not find them fir for city driving, no offense to anyone owning the same, this is just my personal view).

But my need is have a AT variant only, as both of my current cars are of the same variant and also find an AT to be much more easier to drive in city. Have been searching across forums to look for such a car and have finally zeroed on ES, then today i came across your post and have gor into 2 mins [confused]

While yesterday i did a TD of ES AT and first impression was i'm sitting on top of everyone on the road :) , which was really a cool feeling. While the TD was limited for 15-20 mins, i did get a sense that it is extremely good for city commute (please note my TD was on a busy road with good traffic). As of now, my heart still wants to go ahead with ES, also not much options available vis-a-vis ES AT in the market. [thinking]

Top Bottom