A Tale Of Two Tatas & Hyundai: Nano, Manza & i10

Thread Starter #1
Circa 2012 :

After owning/driving many cars in my 20 years of driving life, like Landmaster, Premier Padmini, Maruti 800, Maruti Omni, Hyundai Santro, Maruti Wagon R, Maruti Esteem, Tata Indica and Tata Indigo, in mid 2012 we were contemplating of buying a new sedan. I had fixed a budget of upto 9 lacs maximum. I had made up my mind to buy Diesel sedan as we planned to make highway trips in this car. Test drove Skoda Rapid, VW Vento, Hyundai Verna, Mahindra Vertio (new version), Maruti Dzire, Fiat Linea, Tata Manza.

Rapid, Vento, Linea, Verna were ruled out as I did not want to exceed my budget. Though I must say there was an offer for Vento Trendline for Rs 9.50 lacs OTR (after discounts and free Touchscreen ICE) was tempting enough.

Well when the above ones are ruled out its easy deciding. Dzire and Tour were not considered due to lack of space and taxi version respectively.

So final was Vertio vs Manza. Though Verito was newly launched and had proven good FE record, there were no discounts offered and my family did not like the look. Also seating posture is bit lower.

On Sep 2012, I saw an ad of Rs 40000/- off on Manza. Walked into Concorde Motors showroom at Bangalore. We were greeted well, and after quick brief about the car and versions was offered a test drive.The "Elan" version (a white one) was offered to us. Once we test drove Manza we were absolutely floored. The QJD engine had perfect punch for city roads. Took it for a longer drive and even went back to my home to check the parking space fitment. Everybody was amazed seeing the space inside.

Once everything was satisfactory, had to decide the version. The sales person was pushing for Aura or Aura ABS model but I liked the colour Tyrian Wine. It was available only in Aqua and Elan versions in ready stock. Since Elan was out of my budget, I opted for Aqua version. I was skeptical about non-ABS braking. But some search in the internet (including TAI) revealed manza brakes are quite powerful. Ownership reviews from Autosafari, Highway Ranger, Tornado and others had been very helpful to me at that time, though I was not a member.

Next was discounts and offers. After lot of heckling we got around 70k off on the purchase price and I took insurance from outside hence saved few bucks. Basic accessories were offered for free but I negotiated for fog lamps for free.

All set and done did booking with token advance and went ahead with loan processing with SBI. In the meanwhile did a PDI in the Concorde Motors yard. One funny thing happened , when we went for PDI there was no driver to drive us till the yard. Hence the SE offered me to drive any test car to the yard myself. I test drove the same Elan Manza test drive vehicle again. The loan was approved in 5 days and got the car registered and delivered on Sep 18.

So much so for Manza , after 1.5 years now it has clocked around 22k and going strong. I never had any major issues with the car still on.

I would like to highlight the positives and negatives of Manza which I have observed in the 18 months of ownership.

Positives -

Extremely VFM Sedan
QJD Engine
Very good FE (constant 16-17 in city with AC)
Space, Space and Space

Negatives -

Fit and Finish
Poor Brand Image (perception)
TASS (improving day by day)

Couple of pics when the car was new.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: A Tale of Two Tatas

2013 :

Feb 2013 - I joined TAI :-)

My parents needed a new car in my hometown needed a new car. TAI gers had been very helpful to me for selection of same.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-rs-4-5-lacs-finalized-maruti-alto-800-a.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/15030-our-cute-whitey-alto-800-lxi.html

Fast Forward 2014 :

My wife wanted a vehicle of her own for daily commute as auto fares in Bangalore are getting atrocious day by day. Though she got her driving license (4W) in 2008 but she never regularly drove any car. First we thought that we would buy a 2W (un-geared) , but that was knocked off by parents by seeing growing number of accidents in Bangalore. So we set eyes upon used 4W (new was out of her budget at this time).

Hunt for a used hatchback began online and offline. I had discussed same with few of TAI-gers also. We had fixed a budget of 1.5 lacs approx. Getting good used car in that budget in Bangalore is definitely challenging. Lot of Santros, Old gen Wagon R s, Estilos, Altos were checked. But what we were getting approximately 7-10 year old abused ones , more than 2 owners and at least 60000km run ones. Hopes were dieing fast.

Also considered used A/T cars (good for city drive), hence checked couple of Santro AT, Honda City (old) AT, Zen AT but I was not impressed as again they were very old and clocked many miles and were quoted very high. Maintenance would definitely be an issue in future and spares would be expensive, hence this option was also ruled out.

Then my wife said, why dont we check out "Tata Nano". I thought its a good idea and booked a test drive with Concorde. They brought a 2013 (non Twist) version for test drive. My wife was quite satisfied with the space and comfort of the car. She was very much satisfied with the dimensions of the car as it would be very easy to handle. Tata was offering 45K off on 2013 stock, still the price of LX would come above 2 lacs. She was bit disappointed.

Then I thought why not check used car market for Nano? Went back again to offline and online search. This continued for about many weeks.

Suddenly last week while browsing Olx and Quickr, I saw one 2012 Tata Nano which I liked and thought should be checked out. Immediately called the owner and fixed up appointment and same day afternoon landed at their place. It was 2012 LX model, Mojito Green colour, 9K done, with 4 years warranty, 3 years AMC and all service history was available. Quickly called up Concorde and checked service history which showed correct. One more party had come to check out, so I quickly made up my mind and quoted a price. The other party also quoted same price. The owner said since I have come first car will be given to me. Gave them token advance and left. Informed my wife and she was delighted.

Last weekend we gave full money and the car was ours. Took it for offering Puja and then gave her a good was and wax from Meguiars. They have opened an outlet near my home. Presently the papers are being done, so not driving it much until that is completed.

Initial driving impressions -

Easy to drive and park
Non PS is tough at low speeds and parking
Quite Spacious inside
FE seems to be good

Have to add -

Seat Covers
Decals
ICE (car has no ICE)
Steering Cover

Please suggest some good decals (OEM and non OEM) for the car.

I would add some pictures for your delight and comments -

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member

Excellent write up Mate! Thread subscribed.
May I know the fuel efficiency and driving patterns for good Efficiency of these cars?

Nice writing skills Anshuman ! Hoping you have trouble free ownership!
BTW will you recommend a TATA vehicle to anyone if you have to ?

Ankit

bhvm

Honoured Member

Ankit
For me, I will if its Safari. Other tata vehicles (Indica-Indigo Family) Have extremely thin Metal sheets, a hard punch (By hand) can press these. A person once sat on the Bonnet of Indigo (for Pic) and the Bonnet bent down!

Anshu, crisp beginning.

Bvhm , are you sure, safari bonnet would not bend if an adult seats on it? IMO, only amby can withstand such insults, what say, amby lover?

Nice review Anshuman TASS is improving day by day and attaxting many more customer after looking at all the reveiews of TATA I am gettting inclined towards TATA for my next car

bhvm

Honoured Member

Anshu, crisp beginning.

Bvhm , are you sure, safari bonnet would not bend if an adult seats on it? IMO, only amby can withstand such insults, what say, amby lover?
Yes,
I am talking about 3.0L DICOR version which is built like a tank. I have not tried with the new Storme. Maybe they have shifted to Thinner metal on Storme as well[frustration]

In childhood/teen it was my fav Pose for pics! (me and my sis sitting on Bonnet, leaning on windshield). As an Adult, I did climb on the safari Bonnet for making decals.

congratulations on your second Tata anshuman.Looks neat and clean in showroom condition.
How much did you finalised the deal for?
Wish you and your wife good ownership for the nano.
Were you able to check the FE, how much it is?

Thread Starter #14

Excellent write up Mate! Thread subscribed.
May I know the fuel efficiency and driving patterns for good Efficiency of these cars?
Thanks, FE for Manza I have mentioned already, Nano yet to be tested. Previous owner claimed he got 18-20 in city and 24-25 in highways. I drive with light foot and try to extract maximum Fe of whichever car I am driving.

Ankit
There is no de-merit in owning a TATA. If you are OK with TASS and ignore minor niggles/issues you are good to go.

Congrats on your ride. Drive Safe
Thanks MS

Hi,
Congratulations on your Twin TATA's. Wishes to clock many more miles.
Thanks

Anshu, crisp beginning.
Thanks Tornado, your thread has been inspiration.

Nice review Anshuman TASS is improving day by day and attaxting many more customer after looking at all the reveiews of TATA I am gettting inclined towards TATA for my next car
It would be nice upgrade from Zen in terms of space for sure, wait for Bolt/Zest

Congratulation rather double congratulation for both the cars.
Both the car looks very neat.
Thanks

Congrats on the new buy and welcome the nano family :)

Please keep posted on the ICE options you are planning to go for. I am interested in upgrading mine.
Thanks will keep you posted and will need tips on Nano. have you done horn upgrade?

congratulations on your second Tata anshuman.Looks neat and clean in showroom condition.
How much did you finalised the deal for?
Wish you and your wife good ownership for the nano.
Were you able to check the FE, how much it is?
Thanks, yet to check FE.

Thanks will keep you posted and will need tips on Nano. have you done horn upgrade?
I have not done it as yet. I am planning to visit KHT this weekend to check regarding the possibility of upgrade of horn as well as get two speakers in the front (in addition to rear speakers).

If you are planning to get fabric seat covers, I would recommend Elegant seat covers. I have them on my Nano; check out the details here:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...nership-experience-16-000-kms.html#post375541

Top Bottom