Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Wine Red Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hai automotive INdians, this is my first thread in this site. This is about the Keeping the alto lxi for 1 year

INITIAL THOUGHT:
To our family car is a long time imagination. But it came true when i was in 10th std. As i was so sensitive in studies i secured 486 out of 500. So my said me he would gift me anything i like . I thought it as a chance and revealed buying a car.

I know driving but my dad does not My options are second hand cars . In the summer holidays searched the internet and finalised on these things:

1. Maruthi 800
2. Santro
3. Alto
4. Wagon r
Our budget was below 2 lakhs. Found some cars in olx, quikr, car dheko etc. since we are in villupuram the cars listed are in chennai we pleaded my dad's close friend Mr. Veeramani to check list the car and buy it. We had some strong notes about the car in mind.

The car should have authorised LPG kit installed and with Compulsorily AC.

Buying
Now come to the selection of cars . My mind was full of swift but negleted it because of price . Wagon r negleted because at this price no well maintained ca is found. santro looked odd and gives less mileage. Final decission between 800 and alto. Both are good cars with same heart and different tuning but slto looks more comfortable and pleasant . Interiors are good not the best in alto but in 800 it is crappier. OH i missed one point alto has POwer steering. So our final car is alto lxi.

Cars seen
The first car seen in net is a silky silver alto lxi with central lock, power windows , lpg kit, leather seats , dvd player. Mr veeramni inspected the car and gave rs 1,60,000 to him . But while driving with the owner he found that some bad noise coming from engine and he is now suspecting. He asked the owner about the LPg he told it was not working and also fifth owner in rc . He kindly refused it and bought money back. Later found the car in another site with different year and mileage

Then it took nearly one week for another car. It was grey car with only factory fitments and no accessories with lpg. While Mr Veeramani testing he found the clutch failure { problem with specific batch} but the owner told us he will replace it. Just refused that .

Next day, On net i found the wine red alto with full fledges info. thw man who posted it is mega doss. Called him instantly and he told us to test in that evening. Mr Veeramani reached his office in T. Nagar and the car was full of dust and a long scratch from front left to back. But the engine is awesome . No sound on running and it is the best in list . Mr Megadoss is gentle man told everything about the car. Price was finalised to rs 1,60,000 and doss told us to take the car from his house next day. Features include

1. Geesonic DVD player with 9 inch lcd USB ,FM, DVD rear pioneer bass speakers , front pioneer speakers and tweeters. Bass is really awesome
2. Two small dents and a long scratch
3.Lovato lpg kit with rc endorse and full insurence 2007 june model
4. Black Bumpers

To add notes Mr doss filled petrol for rs 1000 and gas for rs
2000 What a person. after three months he called us enquired about the status of the car. The sound from engine is very very low can't hear and it is suspecting wheather the engine is on.

But mr Veeramani told us to wait until he finishes denting and paintind work. But he new car experience is overwhelming . The next day i and mom went for medical check in chennai and stayed at his home Neet day my dad and sister came with our family friend A TNSTC driver.HE is very close to us. After some water washing and cleaninig took the keys from Mr Veeramani and started from kodambakkam at 6 PM . Came to Perungalthur at 8 pm Where my brother resides .
Hit the car and The tnstc driver was driving it at band between 70 kmph to 80 kmph. Nearly it was 11 pm when in Tindivanam. Too late the driver hit the pedal red ruby goes to 100 and climbs to 120 kmph at 11.37 reached villupuram but still 22 kms ledt in sh tirukoilur reached home at 12.00

Initial experience:
Alto is a great car to drive. ITs super light Power steering cares the huge turns. Engine is peppy and little sluggish when ac is turned on. Gear shifts are long and what to tell about its engine. No vibration and very little idling sound. Brakes are sufficient and not best among the segment.

Mileage:
Now the main part of the car. Filled the gas tank in chennai. tank swallowed 28 ltr Kilometers driven is 372.
372/28 =13.2 kmpl

this mileage is with 40% of ac and 80% of high way driving.

Problems faced:
One fine day when planning to go to tiruvannamalai, the car refused to run on lpg. It ran well in petrol mode. Went to mechanic he checked the lpg kit. Found that the solenoid in the top of lpg tank is not working. No spare one available. So removed that and car ran flawlessly. But the major minus is lpg goes directly to solenoid next to vapouriser. Another day solenoid before the injectors burned and replaced it

Few months back car crossed 39000 kms. Planning to get the previous service history from MASS. Enquired over phone to popular maruti things changed in 32017 kms on 04/03/2013 are of follows:

1. Engine oil 20W40 full synthetic oil
2. Radiator Coolant change and radiator flushing
3. Steering console change
4. A small denting and painting work
5. Wiper blades
6. brake oil change
7. Whole car inspection
8. Spark plug change

Total bill came to rs 15000 incl of taxes and labour

now its already been one year and 8000 kms iam planning to change the oil. gurus help me in choosing the oil. Planning to change to oem 20w40 mineral oil. Can i directly switch from synthetic to mineral[confused] and also gear oil change oem. planning to done it from outside mechanic and buying the materials from ABT popular villupuram soon.

gurus knowledge me about converting from synthetic oil to mineral oil as i have no idea about it

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Ajay! Nice review. Post some pics for exterior and interior! And keep updating your thread with you ongoing experience!

Thread Starter #4
Thank You ankit.Having some problems with clutch. after slotting gear when i release the clutch, it releases freely by half way and then released instantly with thud. Also adjusted the clutch play but no help. Tried the clutch test by applying full hand brake and slotting third gear. while releasing clutch the engine stalls and turns off. So it seems that clutch plate is fine. The car has clocked 38732 kms. Has there is any problem with clutch or any part failure like release bearing and clutch cable. Gurus please help me

Thank You ankit.Having some problems with clutch. after slotting gear when i release the clutch, it releases freely by half way and then released instantly with thud. Also adjusted the clutch play but no help. Tried the clutch test by applying full hand brake and slotting third gear. while releasing clutch the engine stalls and turns off. So it seems that clutch plate is fine. The car has clocked 38732 kms. Has there is any problem with clutch or any part failure like release bearing and clutch cable. Gurus please help me
Get it checked by Maruti Service center . A part or two may require replacement .

Thread Starter #9
THe clutch seems to be hard when depressed. Lubricated the wire and the joints but no help. The clutch also acts funny. IN The biting point it releases sudenly and have to release slowly with extreme force of leg to avoid thud. Guys please help as i dont want to go to MASS

Thread Starter #11
Lot of things happened in a short span. Alto started showing problems. One fine day coolant pipe cracked and all coolant left out. We drove cautiously and reached home. Went to Abt maruti villupuram early but they never cared us because they want to complete the routine services of other cars. They fixed the pipe and told us to change the radiator. They told that it was out of stock and would call back. Left there.
After that coolant started to come out of coolant reservoir in long run eventually draining all the coolant. Tried all the monkey tricks like fan thermostat etc. My mind told it should be head gasket. But drove the car like this for nearly 8 months. Bought the half engine kit from JP road and headed towards a experienced mechanic in villupuram.
Alto engine design sucks. One has to remove the engine mount camshafts to remove the head. It took nearly 5hours to remove it. My suspicion was corect. The gasket was blown between cylinder 2 and 1. Blown means its thickness was so less when compared to new one letting gases in coolant in long run. No head facing was required since head was flat. Reassembly started and car was back . but they did a mistake a over tightening the timing belt.
My self and brother loosened it at our home using the right tools and service manual since it was making a howling sound.
Result
The car got extra smooth and the power delivery was very good. Earlier it would struggle in slopes.
Advice
My advise to all is if your car has overheated abruptly surely your head gasket will be goner and replace it. Alto owners please change coolant frequently as our block is cast iron rust particles clogging radiator. 250g rust found when radiator service done. Engine head won't wrap unless you run without water. Guys please. Don't waste money in changing other things. Even if there is no mixing of coolant and oil your head gasket might be leaking.

Thread Starter #12
Hello everyone,
Update after a very long time. Car has clocked around 71000 KMs. I know the running is very low. However major things were replaced in the car:

1. MGP Clutch kit comprising of cover assembly, clutch plate and release bearing and clutch cable.
2. All three engine mounts MGP
3. Throttle body disassembled and cleaned. IAC valve removed and cleaned since it is jammed causing very high idle rpm.
4. Engine oil to Castrol OEM 20w40.
5. Gear oil shell 80w90 since 75w90 is no where available.
6. New spark plugs Bosch
7. TVS super brake pads.

Other miscellaneous parts such as filters, coolant pipes etc.

Apart from clutch and engine mount change rest everything is done by me as DIY periodically.

Present situation:

The clutch change has lightened the clutch operation. One problem recurred after running in the clutch for which the sequence is as follows:

1. Start the car
2. Depress clutch and select first gear. No abnormal sound till now.
3. Release the clutch with proportionate acceleration. In the biting point a thud sound is produced from front left.
4. Released the clutch fully. The car is moving in first gear.
5. Now again depress clutch select second gear
6. Release the clutch a thud sound is heared.

The thud sound mutes but does not disappear as the gear goes up. It is very prominent in lower and reverse gear.

Showed to different mechanic. He is telling that the clutch is normal. I know it is not because I have driven WagonR with same clutch. The clutch is MGP (bought from GP road MGP dealer) Brand new run hardly 1000kms post installation. It's a valeo kit

Experts I need advice on the following:

1. Is the thud sound while releasing clutch is present in all Alto cars.
2. Is it coming from the driveshaft. Because this thud sound was not there when clutch was installed and test drive taken. After driving 200kms I started hearing this sound as it was before the clutch change. May be driveshaft settled after removal.

It will helpful if any Alto owners could share if his car exhibits the same sound. A recording will be highly helpful.

Thank you.

Top Bottom