Dusky Brownie Ertiga ZDi Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
As 99% Indians say I've always dreamt of owning a SAFARI. With the launch of Storme it went out of my budget and mind too for one reason - Shift in priorities!

When the OTR budget is a million rupees I started to expect few MUST,

1. Airbags/Abs -> Met with an accident last July, wheels locked. No injuries though but decided Airbags/ABS is must

2. Trouble free ride/maintenance -> I ride on an average 2hrs per day and strictly no back and forth trips to service center desired

3. Mileage -> As it is for daily use, this factor got on my back automatically

4. More usable seats -> Everybody want more seats but shouldn't it be usable too? Third row front facing seats came out of no where onto my priority list

5. Power -> Sufficient enough to move 7 people would suffice

6. Size -> It shouldn't be too big for Chennai traffic, car like ride is always welcome!

7. Ride/Handling -> Tall boy design ain't a problem. i've got used to i10, this design communicates clearly when you drive beyond limits, more than your instinct [;)]!

8. Design (interior/exterior) -> Premium look is pretty much a "must", given the cost of the vehicle

9. Ground clearance -> More the better

10. Most important -> All the above in one, need not be 100 % perfect in above terms but the one that does enough justice

It's definitely ERTIGA!!! [clap]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Buying experience:

Tried various dealers in Chennai, asked every dealer three questions:

1. Break up of OTR (especially registration charges)
2. Can i take insurance outside?
3. Can i do RTO registration myself?

Cars India (Valasaravakkam) -> The SA attended us was OK, he was kind of open about things. But he inflated all the charges and then "just like that" gave discount (he even included 3rd year extended warranty into registration charges by default). He wasn't transparent as he was pretending to be! Didn't feel comfortable

Vishnu cars (Pallavaram) -> We went around 7 and one guy turned up after a while, couldn't answer the questions. Only accounts team knows registration charge break up sir. That was the last conversation i remember

Popular motors (Pallikaranai) -> Same as above, went around 7 asked for a test drive because i seriously wanted to drive it when it is dark to assess manuverability. the car was available when we were discussing, once completed - "Sir people took it to yard". Heck he didn't even care about my request. Left looking at the attitude, anyways response given for all the questions - NO

ABT (Guindy) - Greeted well, promptly attended but the SA wasn't very proactive. To my surprise for all the "questions" response was "OK" and gave the OTR break up as it is. Came back telling them will confirm later. Went again after one week (Dec 2) and it was as usual late and asked for a drive when it was dark, with no hesitation went for a drive. This time the TL attended as the SA wasn't available. First time in my experience, a manager was better than a subordinate [evil]. Bargaining initiated and at the end paid booking advance (Rs.5000) for "Dusky brown without alloys". Was told cancellation charge is 250rs, i think other dealers were quoting different cancellation charges (e.g. 2000rs)!
One thing which i didnt like in ABT is they weren't proactive (i had to call up everytime for status). Nevertheless, it's "India", one shouldn't expect something out-of-the-box but the buying experience was very transparent and trust worthy, definitely would recommend this place! At least comparatively they are better dealer in my experience.

Was promised to deliver it by last week of December. Two weeks later was told without alloys is not possible, the lot came from Maruti doesnt have without alloys. If wanted that badly have to wait for Jan'14 and advised price may go up. Asked for a discount on alloys and got it. Confirmed Dusky brown with alloys finally, had to wait for another two weeks and finally arrived on Jan 4. Did a PDI with TAI check list and found everything to be OK, except i didn't drive. Gave a GO AHEAD!

Got the vehicle delivered on 9 Dec.

Accessories:
1. Reverse parking sensor/camera (MGA)
2. Door beeding (MGA)

Still to be done (not MGA),

1. Seat covers
2. Floor mat
3. Headlight / Horn upgrade

Planning to get it done in Car sense (Alanthur, near airport) today. Will do it and post feedback, pictures to follow. Thanks for reading guys!

Last edited:
I have also booked my Ertiga Zdi without alloys from Khivraj. The offer I got was 50k cash discount, accessory - door beading (only) and I can take the insurance with NCB transfer. Saved 8k from that. All in the all the offer I got was - total OTR 9,75,556 rs + 25,000 for alloys - 10L for Zdi with alloys. It is still Nov 2013 manufactured car which will be registered Jan 2014.

Thread Starter #9
Congratulations[clap] for the new ride.
Wish you many happy trouble free miles with it.
Thanks a lot Jayesh

Congratulations buddy for your new ride,rev her for millions of miles[:)],please keep us updated.
Thanks a lot patkar_a

Congrats on getting what is the best practical car on Sale in india today (IMO).
Please upload a few pictures too.
Thanks a lot swiftshashi

Congrats on your new Ertiga. Where are the pics.
Please share the OTR break up and discounts.
Thanks a lot anshuman8, pics to follow buddy!

I have also booked my Ertiga Zdi without alloys from Khivraj. The offer I got was 50k cash discount, accessory - door beading (only) and I can take the insurance with NCB transfer. Saved 8k from that. All in the all the offer I got was - total OTR 9,75,556 rs + 25,000 for alloys - 10L for Zdi with alloys. It is still Nov 2013 manufactured car which will be registered Jan 2014.
Congrats MutantX. You've got a very good discount!

Thread Starter #15
Congrats buddy & same pinch for the colour [:D] Welcome to the Ertiga club.
thanks a lot Knightrider. regarding the colour - it was a last minute change. i was in the idea of firebrick red, but my brother suggested this during booking and finalized it without second thought!

Top Bottom