New Addition To The Family: Grey Swift VDi

Thread Starter #1
Finally I take out time to write my very first ownership review! First of all thanks to all the members in this forum for helping me in deciding on the car by sharing their experiences.

After three months of extensive research, I finally associated that brand with my family in which millions of Indians trust without a second thought. In my research I covered almost every car available in the Indian market under 8-9 lac bracket. The ones that I short-listed are as follows:

Honda amaze: loved the simplicity with which the car is made. Good in space, tremendous boot space. The two things which kept me away from zeroing -in on Honda Amaze were plain dashboard and NVH issue. But it is definitely a no non-sense car with HONDA as the brand. ABS was a good addition in all diesel variants.

Hyundai I20: Anybody will drool over this car with the number of gadgets with which it comes loaded. Sportz model was definitely my first choice for it being a perfect ‘value for money’ car but I didn’t go ahead with this coz of low ground clearance and steering issue.

Volkswagen POLO: Definitely loved this European beauty but the lack of space inside was a big turn-off. My head was literally touching the roof when I sat behind, me being 5’9 inches tall.

Fiat Punto: Though I liked the car, but had nothing to say as wifey dear out rightly said NO!!

Ford Fiesta: It was never in my list but the first time I took its test drive, it swept me off my feet. The car is just fantastic in terms of road manners; ease in drivability and ergonomics. On top of it, a jaw-dropping discount of close to 3 lacs was available on this classy beauty which made this car more alluring than ever . I paid the booking amount twice for the car on different occasions but (un)(f)ortunately something or the other happened and the deal didn’t materialize. Undeterred by the last two failures, when for the third time I called the showroom to book the car, it was out of stock in the entire NCR region. Throughout this time, everyone right from family and friends to colleagues tried to dissuade me from going ahead with this car as everybody felt Fiesta was a fairly old brand that had failed to make a place for itself in the market.

Finally it was a sense of home-coming that dawned upon me as I started looking at maruti with much admiration.

Maruti dzire: liked the overall package but paying 1 lac for additional boot and beige interior was stupidity for my budget.

Maruti swift: This car was a bulls-eye hit for my expectations and the budget. I really wanted to go for zdi but didn’t feel that it was worth the price and also since vdi is priced at less than 6 lacs ex-showroom so the purchaser saves a handsome amount on the registration charges when compared to zdi. Finally, I booked my Grey Hound swift vdi on 22nd dec 2013. Got this baby delivered on the last day of the year 2013.

Dealership Experience: In Delhi there were many options, I went with TR Sawhney in IP extn. I went to this particular showroom on friend’s reference, but the experience has been mixed. Especially the Loan agents inside the showroom were the main reason for all the hassle and it also led to delayed car delivery. Although, the sales executive has been very responsive and friendly.
I did my PDI and found through VIN that car was Dec 2013 manufactured. Got the discount and paid the remaining initial down payment. I did the mistake of buying the gear lock from maruti. It cost me extra 600 bucks and even then I didn’t get a good service. I had to literally chase them to fix the gear lock for good three days.
Got mud-flaps, floor mat and Ganesha idol complementary. Also I got a coupon for 3L diesel which I got filled from a nearby gas station. I went for extended warranty and insurance from Maruti(Zero-Dep)

ICE: Got the music system fitted from Gem Car décor, Lajpat Nagar. Also got Side beadings, door beadings and boot mat from there. Happy with the service provided by them.

Front: Morel Maximo 6 component speakers 8.5k
Rear: Infinty primus coaxial speakers 3.5K
HU: Pioneer - FH X759BT 9.1k
+Jacks and door damping
Total Setup: 22k

I initially went for JBL components but was totally sold for Morel speakers, worth the extra 3000 bucks I paid. If I could have stretched my budget I would have gone for morel co-axials.
The sound is really smooth and detailed. The tweeters and the mids actually complement each other. Compared to pioneer, JBL or blaupunkt in same range, Morel is way ahead, esp in sound clarity and tight bass.
I don’t feel the need of amps or subs as of now.
Pioneer HU has USB, AUX and Bluetooth and I’m quite happy with its performance.

Pending List:
- Need to get seat covers, would appreciate any help on this.
- Tyre Upgrade as soon as I can allocate more budget.
- Do I need to get 3M under coating and engine coating done?
- Is getting a front arm rest fixed a good idea for swift? And what is the ideal cost for the same.

My observations:​

Looks: I was confused in blue and grey color, white was too common on the road. Got the grey color delivered. I think it is one of the good looking hatches in Indian market at present.

Engine: DDiS is one of the most fuel efficient engine and also very smooth and refined. Only problem I face is turbo lag in lower RPM’s. Especially in bumper to bumper traffic Swift drags itself at a slow pace and I need to hear all the angry souls honking at me from behind. I’m still trying to keep the revs below 2000rpm. Once I go past 2nd gear, I think the turbo is superb and I don’t feel the need to rev it hard, especially in Delhi traffic.

Handling and Ride Quality: I can compare the handling of swift with Fiesta. It holds its ground well around corners and steering weighs up well as the speed increases.
Though it doesn’t have lumbar support in front seats I think it is quite spacious and comfortable. Though I start having a back ache when driving for a long time in bumper to bumper traffic. May be I’m still finding my perfect position.
Initially I felt the ride was little bumpy so I got the tyre pressure checked which was 35PSI for all tyres. I changed it to 33 for front and 30 for rear. Only front seats are occupied 80% of the time.
Brakes don’t inspire confidence in me and I have started feeling my Santro has better brakes than swift. I’m still adjusting myself to the extra distance it takes to stop.
Gears in general are smooth but facing some problem in First and reverse gear as of now. It gets stuck and takes two or three hits before getting into right position.

Day 9th update:
Current ODo reading: 1015Kms
Current MID average: 22.5km/l
I think that was the reason I went for a diesel car. I will update the actual average by tankful to tankful method. I am using FUELIO app to track expenses. Tankful cost me 1958INR with the current diesel price in delhi(intake 36.5 litres)

My first free servicing is near and since this is my first diesel car I need to research on if there is any oil or oil filter or AC/air filter change required as of now. Also I have seen a lot of debate on mineral and synthetic oil, so need to find out which will be economical in the long run.

I have been spending close to 5 hours in the car on a daily basis and it was very hard to find time for writing this review. A special thanks to my wife for composing this from the co-passenger seat while I was narrating her from the driver’s seat. Literally we wrote this review while experiencing it.

Looking forward to numerous happy journeys and hassle- free long term partnership with this grey beauty.[cheers]

Attachments

Congrats adi!

I like your choice. Ignoring the fact that there are many more of Swifts on the road, you still went with what fits your need. I appreciate that. Even me, I got a Dzire Zdi grey colored for my Dad a 3 months earlier despite the comments on the odd looking boot. I just went with my heart that the time spent inside the car should be pleasant rather than the time we look at it from out side. I was blown by its great dash design.

Swift is a better choice or city driving. congrats once again and wish you many more happy miles on your new ride.

Congratulations for the new ride [:D]

Wish you many happy trouble miles with it.

its 10 days since you got your ride, how about some pictures..[thinking] please

Thread Starter #5
Congrats adi!
I like your choice. Swift is a better choice or city driving. congrats once again and wish you many more happy miles on your new ride.
Thanks buddy for the wishes, Dzire is great choice too and i would have opted for the same grey color. I think dzire looks grows on you with time.

Congratulations for the new ride [:D]
Wish you many happy trouble miles with it.
its 10 days since you got your ride, how about some pictures..[thinking] please
Thanks Jayesh for the wishes. I myself want to take my greyhound for its first photoshoot, but hardly getting time during the day time[sad]. Will definitely post pictures by this weekend.

congratulations adi on your new grey DDiS, no doubt over the swifts success these long years.Its a great car with superb handling and national engine.
Wish you many happy miles.Do post some pictures of your grey machine.

Hii Adi ,
Congratulations on your new car and Drive Safe .
I would recommend you for autoform Seat covers which have many shops in Prashant Vihar ,Karol Bagh in Delhi .
Cost of Arm Rest would be around 1000 Rs

Thread Starter #9
Hi,Congratulations for your Swift. Wishes to clock many more miles.Post some images of your car .
Thanks Ambylovers. Will upload some pictures soon.

Hii Adi ,
Congratulations on your new car and Drive Safe .
I would recommend you for autoform Seat covers which have many shops in Prashant Vihar ,Karol Bagh in Delhi . Cost of Arm Rest would be around 1000 Rs
Thanks Ankit. Is autoform in the same range as stanley?

congratulations adi on your new grey DDiS, no doubt over the swifts success these long years.Its a great car with superb handling and national engine.
Wish you many happy miles.Do post some pictures of your grey machine.
Thanks Vijay, Swift indeed is a great car. Will upload some pictures soon.

Congratulations on your new swift.Wish you safe and happy drive ahead !
Thanks generalmax.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
My car has clocked 1000kms, can any one let me know if i need to get any thing changed at first service. I will be taking it for first service tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats !! Adi for your new buy is a most successful and popular hatch in the country

Good write up, but disappointed without pics

Just give it for first service, they will follow what is written in the manual, you can tell them if you have any issues, otherwise leave it[:)]

My car has clocked 1000kms, can any one let me know if i need to get any thing changed at first service. I will be taking it for first service tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
Nothing required. Only thing that would be done at MASS is body cleaning and titening of the nut bolts.

Finally I take out time to write my very first ownership review! First of all thanks to all the members in this forum for helping me in deciding on the car by sharing their experiences.

After three months of extensive research, I finally associated that brand with my family in which millions of Indians trust without a second thought. In my research I covered almost every car available in the Indian market under 8-9 lac bracket. The ones that I short-listed are as follows:

Honda amaze: loved the simplicity with which the car is made. Good in space, tremendous boot space. The two things which kept me away from zeroing -in on Honda Amaze were plain dashboard and NVH issue. But it is definitely a no non-sense car with HONDA as the brand. ABS was a good addition in all diesel variants.

Hyundai I20: Anybody will drool over this car with the number of gadgets with which it comes loaded. Sportz model was definitely my first choice for it being a perfect ‘value for money’ car but I didn’t go ahead with this coz of low ground clearance and steering issue.

Volkswagen POLO: Definitely loved this European beauty but the lack of space inside was a big turn-off. My head was literally touching the roof when I sat behind, me being 5’9 inches tall.

Fiat Punto: Though I liked the car, but had nothing to say as wifey dear out rightly said NO!!

Ford Fiesta: It was never in my list but the first time I took its test drive, it swept me off my feet. The car is just fantastic in terms of road manners; ease in drivability and ergonomics. On top of it, a jaw-dropping discount of close to 3 lacs was available on this classy beauty which made this car more alluring than ever . I paid the booking amount twice for the car on different occasions but (un)(f)ortunately something or the other happened and the deal didn’t materialize. Undeterred by the last two failures, when for the third time I called the showroom to book the car, it was out of stock in the entire NCR region. Throughout this time, everyone right from family and friends to colleagues tried to dissuade me from going ahead with this car as everybody felt Fiesta was a fairly old brand that had failed to make a place for itself in the market.

Finally it was a sense of home-coming that dawned upon me as I started looking at maruti with much admiration.

Maruti dzire: liked the overall package but paying 1 lac for additional boot and beige interior was stupidity for my budget.

Maruti swift: This car was a bulls-eye hit for my expectations and the budget. I really wanted to go for zdi but didn’t feel that it was worth the price and also since vdi is priced at less than 6 lacs ex-showroom so the purchaser saves a handsome amount on the registration charges when compared to zdi. Finally, I booked my Grey Hound swift vdi on 22nd dec 2013. Got this baby delivered on the last day of the year 2013.

Dealership Experience: In Delhi there were many options, I went with TR Sawhney in IP extn. I went to this particular showroom on friend’s reference, but the experience has been mixed. Especially the Loan agents inside the showroom were the main reason for all the hassle and it also led to delayed car delivery. Although, the sales executive has been very responsive and friendly.
I did my PDI and found through VIN that car was Dec 2013 manufactured. Got the discount and paid the remaining initial down payment. I did the mistake of buying the gear lock from maruti. It cost me extra 600 bucks and even then I didn’t get a good service. I had to literally chase them to fix the gear lock for good three days.
Got mud-flaps, floor mat and Ganesha idol complementary. Also I got a coupon for 3L diesel which I got filled from a nearby gas station. I went for extended warranty and insurance from Maruti(Zero-Dep)

ICE: Got the music system fitted from Gem Car décor, Lajpat Nagar. Also got Side beadings, door beadings and boot mat from there. Happy with the service provided by them.

Front: Morel Maximo 6 component speakers 8.5k
Rear: Infinty primus coaxial speakers 3.5K
HU: Pioneer - FH X759BT 9.1k
+Jacks and door damping
Total Setup: 22k

I initially went for JBL components but was totally sold for Morel speakers, worth the extra 3000 bucks I paid. If I could have stretched my budget I would have gone for morel co-axials.
The sound is really smooth and detailed. The tweeters and the mids actually complement each other. Compared to pioneer, JBL or blaupunkt in same range, Morel is way ahead, esp in sound clarity and tight bass.
I don’t feel the need of amps or subs as of now.
Pioneer HU has USB, AUX and Bluetooth and I’m quite happy with its performance.

Pending List:
- Need to get seat covers, would appreciate any help on this.
- Tyre Upgrade as soon as I can allocate more budget.
- Do I need to get 3M under coating and engine coating done?
- Is getting a front arm rest fixed a good idea for swift? And what is the ideal cost for the same.

My observations:​

Looks: I was confused in blue and grey color, white was too common on the road. Got the grey color delivered. I think it is one of the good looking hatches in Indian market at present.

Engine: DDiS is one of the most fuel efficient engine and also very smooth and refined. Only problem I face is turbo lag in lower RPM’s. Especially in bumper to bumper traffic Swift drags itself at a slow pace and I need to hear all the angry souls honking at me from behind. I’m still trying to keep the revs below 2000rpm. Once I go past 2nd gear, I think the turbo is superb and I don’t feel the need to rev it hard, especially in Delhi traffic.

Handling and Ride Quality: I can compare the handling of swift with Fiesta. It holds its ground well around corners and steering weighs up well as the speed increases.
Though it doesn’t have lumbar support in front seats I think it is quite spacious and comfortable. Though I start having a back ache when driving for a long time in bumper to bumper traffic. May be I’m still finding my perfect position.
Initially I felt the ride was little bumpy so I got the tyre pressure checked which was 35PSI for all tyres. I changed it to 33 for front and 30 for rear. Only front seats are occupied 80% of the time.
Brakes don’t inspire confidence in me and I have started feeling my Santro has better brakes than swift. I’m still adjusting myself to the extra distance it takes to stop.
Gears in general are smooth but facing some problem in First and reverse gear as of now. It gets stuck and takes two or three hits before getting into right position.

Day 9th update:
Current ODo reading: 1015Kms
Current MID average: 22.5km/l
I think that was the reason I went for a diesel car. I will update the actual average by tankful to tankful method. I am using FUELIO app to track expenses. Tankful cost me 1958INR with the current diesel price in delhi(intake 36.5 litres)

My first free servicing is near and since this is my first diesel car I need to research on if there is any oil or oil filter or AC/air filter change required as of now. Also I have seen a lot of debate on mineral and synthetic oil, so need to find out which will be economical in the long run.

I have been spending close to 5 hours in the car on a daily basis and it was very hard to find time for writing this review. A special thanks to my wife for composing this from the co-passenger seat while I was narrating her from the driver’s seat. Literally we wrote this review while experiencing it.

Looking forward to numerous happy journeys and hassle- free long term partnership with this grey beauty.[cheers]
Congrats adi85,

You have chosen one of the proven its stance car in Hatchback segment. Happy Miles.

Good sense on ICE. I have the same set up in my Ritz VDI (ABS) apart from the front speakers. For this i chose JBL component's. Rear i have the same speakers and the Head unit is the same one.

Its a good setup to start with. But has its downsides (well after few months you will feel it). The Head unit - Bluetooth for calls works only when you listen to your audio on phone with Bluetooth mode. When you connect your iPod/USB your head unit will not take calls same happens when you play audio in AUX mode.

And the head unit do not have enough output though the speakers set up you (& I) have in place can give you a lot lot better output. For this only choice is to choose an AMP (Save this idea for your next upgrade in near future). Apart from this its a worthy ICE and you will enjoy every bit. Bass from the infinity coaxials at the rear is commendable. Just make sure to use wooden tray at the back to mount rear speakers not the regular plastic one to avoid rattles.

Good thing you've done damping for doors.

I got the whole carpet done front till the boot in black this reduced outside noise a lot (price was around 1500/- odd). And using the regular MGA mats over them. cleaning is easier now, just a wet wipe on the carpet gets all the dirt/mud out.

Get yourself a good steering cover when you go for new seat covers. Makes good amount of difference.

I was done with the first service and Today its going for its 2nd free service. FE till date was consistent at 18-19 in City and 21+ on Highways.

Please share few interior and exterior pics of your car.

Peace..!

Link to my Ritz Ownership Thread : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../13820-new-white-ritz-vdi-abs-my-pegasus.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
First Servicing Update:

Drove around 1200kms in first 10 days and it was time to take my car for servicing. Did some research and found apart from MSM okhla and one in Nariana which are far from my place, motorcraft in noida is good. Went to MotorCraft Sec-63 noida which is very close to my place. Reached there at 11am and the whole process was completed by 12.45pm.

I have a neutral feeling about the service provided. I told them about the gear noise and the reverse gear problem but their response was this is not an Audi and these things are expected. When i said even my Santro doesnt make that sound, for which they replied: Sir the Gear box is different.
Regarding Tyre noise also they said that these are under acceptable limits.
When i commented on the brakes, they said since the power of the diesel engine is more the breaking cannot be compared to a petrol car[surprise]. It gives all the more reason to provide better breaking capabilities.
I think because of these comment i felt little negative about my visit.

Cleaning was done properly from inside and outside. Apart from that they didn't do much, probably it wasn't required. Overall they where professional in their work. They didn't force me for Teflon or anti-rust coating.

I think i will get a wax done, need help on this.
For 3M AnitRust the agent quoted 1750 but was giving only 3 yr warranty. I heard people getting 5 yr warranty also, so I thought i will research more on this and then get it done.
Where can i get it done in delhi and which one is the best(Turtle, formula1)?Any place where i can get both anti rust and body wax done?

Here are some pictures:

Ready for its first wash
DSC02871.JPG

DSC02881.JPG DSC02877.JPG

With all wings open:
DSC02888.JPG DSC02891.JPG

Boot space not that great for a long trip. They could have utilized it better.
DSC02894.JPG

The grin it has on its face
DSC02942.JPG DSC02944.JPG

DSC02946.JPG DSC02956.JPG

Diesel sticker i got from showroom
DSC02958.JPG

JK 165/80 R14 tyres, road noise is audible inside the vehicle.
DSC02971.JPG

DSC02990.JPG

Looks little claustrophobic from rear seat.
DSC02992.JPG

My first tankful gave me good avg, MID avg is pretty close to actual
DSC03003.JPG

Capdase 2.4Amp charger with two USB port, charges pretty fast. Good decision to upgrade from 1.2amps one.
DSC03010.JPG

Rear view is good, but same doesn't reflect in the rear view mirror
DSC03013.JPG

DSC03028.JPG

DSC03033.JPG DSC03034.JPG

Morel tweets and pioneer FH X759BT HU. Reads 16GB USB with ease.
DSC03019.JPG DSC03035.JPG

Evenly spaced pedals
DSC03045.JPG

alarm, defogger switch and beam height adjustment.
DSC03048.JPG

Wiper switch on left and turn indicator & defogger switch on the right
DSC03051.JPG DSC03052.JPG

MGA Gear lock, clamp should have been fixed on the other side so that if it falls by mistake it will not come under the pedal.
DSC03067.JPG

Rear space with seats adjusted to my driving style, just on the margin. Also ingress egress is not that easy.
DSC03069.JPG

Last edited:
^^
1.Plastic quality looks bit cheap
2.I think Maruti is completely tied up with JK to give us some useless grip tyres
3. Pedals made me surprise
4. Rear seat is just like a bench and yes it looks claustrophobic too
5. Rear view is bad like Ritz
6. Maruti swift/Ritz selling just because of Fiat engine it seems
7. Rear leg room looks very poor

Top Bottom