The Titanium Machine: Honda Brio

Thread Starter #1
For me, necessity to own a car was rarely felt. My house is situated in an area where public transport facilities are very good. There are not one or two but three Metro stations (New Delhi, Connaught Place and Airport Metro Station) in the one km radius of my home. These are besides two train stations (New Delhi and Shivaji Bridge) and two Bus Terminuses. So, the idea of buying a car was always resisted by some corner of my mind which questioned utility of such a purchase.

However, I started feeling the need for a car, if not for intra-city movements then sometimes for inter city travels. So, I decided to have a look at all the cars with petrol engines (due to low running) having 1200 cc capacity. And after much consideration I concluded that my first priority was that car’s engine should be excellent. So, I shortlisted three engines (K-12, i-VTEC and Kappa) and consequently all the cars having these engines were considered. Now, Ritz was removed from this list because I could not digest design of its rear portion. Plenty of Swifts on the road combined with the feeling that its rear bench was claustrophobic reduced its marks in my scorecard. i20 was out of budget and i10 was small (1595 mm width) with even smaller tyres (13 inches) making its ride bouncy.

Meanwhile, Ecosport was launched and I went to Ford’s showroom (it was first time that I visited a car showroom). Ecosport looked tempting at the ex-showroom price of Rs. 5.59 lakh and I immediately increased my budget just for it and assumed (and I knew that this assumption was not correct) that its 1.5 lt engine was also good. But soon it was clear that to get 1.5 Petrol Ecosport, I was required to wait for around 10-12 months (even this timeline was not certain). Besides, there was every guarantee that its price will be increased and it did increase, from 5.59 L to 5.82 L. So, it was also struck out.

In November this year, Hyundai launched Grand i10 and it addressed some of the concerns that I had with i10. The width was increased from 159 cm to 166 cm. Tyres were now 14 inches. And some initial reviews stated that ride quality was improved. I studied many reviews on the net and also one of the articles published in the Autocar’s December edition which compared Brio with Grand i10. Overall, from these reviews as well as from my observations, I concluded the following:

Brio is more fun to drive.
Grand i10 has more space in the boot so good for a family.
Brio is better if intended for long driving.
Grand i10’s interiors are made of good material and look good.
Brio’s interiors are made of good material and look basic.
Grand i10 is feature rich car but then some features that I needed (seat height adjustment, steering mounted audio controls) were available only in the highest model i.e. Asta. And this model was quite expensive.

Regarding ride and handling, this is what Autocar (December 2013 edition) says about Brio and G-i10:
Driving dynamics is an area where these two have almost nothing in common. The Honda offers a well-rounded blend of ride and handling, which isn’t something you can say about the Grand i10. On unfinished patches of road, the Brio’s suspension feels reasonably meaty, restricting any excessive body movements and on the faster stretches too, it doesn’t let the odd irregularity throw it off balance either. But what is truly impressive is the precise steering wheel. The Brio isn’t just the better handling car here; it is one of the most dynamically accomplished hatchbacks across the segment.

Last thing that settled the matter for Brio was the huge price difference. The OTR price for G-i10 was Rs. 5.43 L (Sportz model) while for Brio (S MT), it was 4.78 L. A straight difference of Rs. 65,000. And I am not considering free accessories worth Rs. 4000 that I got with Brio.

So, having decided Brio, I booked the vehicle on 18.12.13. Got the VIN on 19.12.13. Inspected the allotted car on 20.12.13 that was a very short and practical inspection. The car was in a good shape and was November 2013 manufactured car. As everything was fine, I paid the remaining amount and on 25.12.13, got the car.

In these 7 days (of December 2013), I travelled 367 kms. In city, the mileage indicator of the car displayed around 14-15 kmpl. I had a travel outside city on NH-8. For this 310 km trip, the mileage indicator showed a very good 20 kmpl. While for the same trip, my calculation on the basis of number of bars in the indicator was 19.1 kmpl. I think I can take this lower figure of 19.1 kmpl as correct and this is very good considering that the first service is yet to be done. I am yet to calculate through tankful method.

Something Japanese are known for:

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: The Titanium Machine

Hi,
Hearty Wishes on your New Car Purchase. Hope you are enjoying your Car.
Post some more Exterior pictures.

Thread Starter #3

Few more pics:

Fabric seat covers matching with the interior colour of the car:

Floor mats, gets dirty easily and gets clean easily:

Last edited:

@NH08
Congrats for your new mate. Wish you will have pleasant and uninterrupted rides miles and miles ahead and have a blessed year [:)]

Congratulations for your New ride and have pleasent miles at every spin with your Brio.

F.E looked good with 20 on board[clap].

I always tell myself before any Highway trip that I would stick to the sedate driving but fails once I spent time on road and end up revving it to 120-30 range and earning 17-18kmpls[;)]

Congos on the new ride and another brio-ian on board. Pretty sure you will not regret the purchase.

I always tell myself before any Highway trip that I would stick to the sedate driving but fails once I spent time on road and end up revving it to 120-30 range and earning 17-18kmpls]
This happens to me everytime. the most amazing thing when I took it on a highway run the first time was I did not expect it to feel that planted at speeds clocking 140. It felt planted and gave a lot of confidence [clap]

Thread Starter #9
This happens to me everytime. the most amazing thing when I took it on a highway run the first time was I did not expect it to feel that planted at speeds clocking 140. It felt planted and gave a lot of confidence [clap]
Because of running in period, I limited its speed to 80 kmph during highway trip. Although I could not find any instruction in the Owner's Manual regarding its speed or RPM limit during running in period. All it said that during the first 1000 kms, excessive acceleration or hard braking should be avoided and that instruction is for Automatic version.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
I am feeling that the noise of tyres is quite prominent in my car. I thought that probably tyres had low air pressure. But that was not the case when I checked them. These are JK Tyres. Are they noisy? Need your opinion.

Till Now I was aware Brio comes with either MRF or GY and based on user's here GYs were better then MRF (due to hard compounds mnf). Now comes JKs[surprise]

you can get underbody treatment done this will marginally subside the noise.

Mine came with Goodyears, and there is excess tire noise too but only on those concrete roads.

Took a trip to Agra via yamuna expressway last month and unfortunately that road is not tar: I didnt go over 100 the entire highway because of the annoying tire noise.

I will also live with Goodyears until they wear out and then go with better brands like michelin, bridgstone.

I have the GY's too and rightly pointed out by set12. The noise is heard in the cabin only on the concrete roads. But yeah, Gy's are way better than the MRF's and JK's

Congrats on your purchase.

Well evaluated and brilliant buy. You will definitely feel happy and satisfied for every penny spent on this peppy pot from one of the best stable - Honda

Welcome to the Honda family, and to the Brio league.

Regarding the FE, yes, one would definitely get magical figures provided we drive sedate. But this peppy pot, which is planted like a Go-Kart, doesnt allow the me (and a few other members who confessed [;)] ) to drive in such manner, although i try to restrict my speed to 120.

Regarding tyre noise, switch onto to Mich's or Yoko's. Definitely going to improve your ride quality and the road noise level heard in the cabin. I switched onto Mich's from MRF @ 10k kms, and ever since, just loving it. [:D]

As your are based in Non-coast region, i wouldnt recommend 3M Under-body coating as mandatory.

Any mods that you went for? Post some more pics.

Happy [drive]

Last edited:

Top Bottom