The Black Hawk - My Mahindra Scorpio VLX

Thread Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I am happy to inform everybody that last week I have got the delivery of my new Scorpio VLX, black colour. Since this is my first ownership review which I am penning down, please excuse me if there are any mistakes. I will be dividing this review into the following:

a) Reason for buying a new car

b) Options of cars we had in my mind including test drive of the cars that I took

c) Selection of car model, variant and colour

d) Dealership experience while booking as well as while delivery

e) Most importantly, the review of the car itself

First,

A) Reason for buying a new car:-

First of all let me tell you the reason for me buying a new car. Well I have been using Swift VXI for the past 3.6 years and I never felt any reason for me wanting to upgrade to a new car. I always felt it was meeting my traveling needs very well and I have also taken the car on some weekend getaways away from Bangalore. But since it was our first wedding anniversary, I thought I will gift my wife with something special. Although I was not able to get the car in time with our anniversary, we had pretty much had decided on buying our car. The only thing which kept us waiting was the big debate whether to go for Scorpio or XUV. More on this later. Anyhow we both are happy and satisfied with the car we have ought and are currently enjoying it.

B) Options of cars we had in my mind:-

Well, we had quite a number of cars in our mind initially but later on kept cutting that list based on our requirements and tastes.

Hyundai Elantra:- The first car we wanted to check was Hyundai Elantra. It was an obvious upgrade for me from the hatchback to a sedan. Me and my wife checked the car and I particularly liked the shape and the interiors a lot and so we kept this on our list pretty much till the last minute. Incidentally this was the only sedan we even checked since my wife always wanted to go for an SUV.

Tata Safari Storme:- Then we wanted to give the Tata Safari Storme a go but after reading so many bad reviews and negative feedback about the Tata service, we decided that it would be wise for us not to invest so much of money in a company who are not really renowned for their consumer centric approach in terms of after sales service. So we stroked it off from our list immediately.

Renault Duster: The moment my wife came to know that it was a 5 seater, she removed it from the list. There was not even a consideration of checking it out.
Nissan Terrano:- This also was pretty much negated from the list for the above said reason.

XUV 500:- Well this was really the car which we thought we would end up buying the very moment we saw it. We test drove this multiple times and were about to book the W8 version when I checked some reviews about this car. This is where our mind began to drift away from the XUV. I came across numerous feedback wherein there were issues reported relating to some major components like the brakes, clutch and the suspension. We even came to know that Mahindra have resolved majority of the issues related to the XUV in their latest model and so wanted to give it a try. But the day I went to book the car, while I was checking the XUV in the showroom, I heard the SA who was incidentally present a t the showroom talking over the phone presumably with one of the owners of XUV. The car was stuck in the middle of nowhere again with the clutch related problem. The SA was trying frantically to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Then upon my enquiry, I came to know that XUV are not repaired or serviced in all Mahindra service centres and this where the catch is. What if the car is stuck somewhere where there are no service centres which can service XUV, we will be stuck there till the towing van comes and tows the car to the designated service centre. My wife upon hearing this told me that she does not want to take any chance and so with a heavy heart, we had decide against going for the XUV.

Scorpio:- Well the day we decided not to go for XUV, the big question for us was now what. We then started to check on the Scorpio and took some test drives alongwith the XUV to compare the 2 in terms of ride and comfort. Well to my surprise my wife somehow felt that Scorpio was better in terms of the way the suspension was able to absorb the ptholes in comparison with the XUV. I know that both the cars are not renowned for their suepension capabilites when compared to duster, terrano and even safari. But since we had already decided against those cars we were left with very little choice. In the end it was a car which I was gifting for my wife and so decided on the Scorpio though I still wanted to go for the XUV. Not that I am not enjoying the Scorpio, infact I really love it now.

C) Selection of car model, variant and colour:-

Well now that we had decided on the model it was now the question of deciding the variant and the colour. We both think that we need to give the utmost priority to safety and so without even thinking twice went for the VLX as it is the only one which comes with Airbags. Now the question was the colour. My wife always wanted to go for white colour and so decide to go for it. But later on we had to choose Black colour. More on this below.

D) Dealership experience while booking as well as while delivery:-

We decided to book for the car from Anant cars, Mysore road and so went ther for the booking. We had checked with the dealer a day before and also the same day before we left for the availability and the dealer also promised us that he had a white one in stock. We went there for booking, but to our shock the white one they had was a 7 seater captain chair model while we always needed an 8 seater one because we have 7 people who usually go on some trips to temples quite frequently. We checked the practicality of the 7 seater captain chairs but felt it was inadequate for our needs. The dealer told us we might have to wait for atleast 3-4 weeks if we book for the white 8 seater one. I imediately got in touch with the sales manager of Mahindra and informed him of our needs. We also told him that since we needed our immediately ther was no option of us waiting. He immediately checked and informed us that he had two 8 seater models ready in stock one in Black and the other in Brown.

I asked him to get both the cars to the showroom so that we can decide the colour once we see the cars in real. We waited for a day and then we got a call from the dealer informing that both the cars have arrived. I went to the showroom to check the car and after much deliberating, we decided on the black one. I had taken the PDI check list from the TAI forum and so did the PDI then itself. I spent about 2 hours checking each and everything as per the list and was pretty satisfied. Here I think the dealer especially the Branch Manager an the Sales Manager from Mahindra themselves co operated really well and the sales manager was constantly coordinating each and everything from time to time. Coming back to the booking, after the PDI I booked the car and informed the manager that we need the delivery the coming week and every thing was done without much delay. The overall experience with the dealership was good although they did not live upto their promise for the delivery of the White colour. Finally on the day we had informed them of the delivery everything went out smooth and we were pretty impressed with the dealership attitude.

E) Most importantly, the review of the car itself:-

Although it is too early for me to write any kind of a review on the car. I will give a feedback on all aspects of the car and will upload pictures soon. For the time being all I can say is that we are happy and satisfied with the car. [:D] We are enjoying every moment of owning it and hopefully we will not face any issues. Fingers crossed.

Guys, I need some advice on selecting suitable accessories and tips on maintaining our car.

Here is picture of me with the car on on the day we took the delivery below:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
COngrats on getting this black beauty. Its really looking stunning in black. Can you please tell us the pricing part and discounts if any

got to say , the black colour on the scorpio especially , the silver cladding does look stunning.

congrats for your new acquisition.

Congrats buddy. Really your car looks fantastic. How is the third row? were you expecting 5+ seater capacity cars only? why am asking is, how come you have not come across For EcoSport?

I am happy to inform everybody that last week I have got the delivery of my new Scorpio VLX, black colour.
Congrats on your new acquisition. I guess, yours is the second Scorpio-mhawk in black on TAI.Here is the other. Wishing you many miles of pleasant ownership on the torque tank.
Hope you have taken the TWO year extended warranty. Please keep the thread updated. [:)]

why am asking is, how come you have not come across For EcoSport?
Sethuji,
Having to buy TWO Ecosports, one is in the 20L + territory.:tongue:

Thread Starter #9
COngrats on getting this black beauty. Its really looking stunning in black. Can you please tell us the pricing part and discounts if any
Thanks konkantrip, Yes black does look awesome and it is the same impression I am getting from whomever I am showing my car to.

got to say , the black colour on the scorpio especially , the silver cladding does look stunning.
congrats for your new acquisition.
Thanks superbad, I am hoping that I will be able to maintain my car in the same way you have been able to maintain yours. Need yours and fellow members guidance.

Congrats buddy. Really your car looks fantastic. How is the third row? were you expecting 5+ seater capacity cars only? why am asking is, how come you have not come across For EcoSport?
Thank you buddy, The third row is just sufficient for short trips but the good thing about the 8 seater is that we can adjust the middle row seat by sliding it front and back there by giving you enough legspace for short trips. I never even considered Ecosport mainly for 2 reasons, first since it is not even a proper 5 seater (apologies to fellow ecosport owners), but it is the way we felt and secondly the long waiting period. We did not had any option of waiting at all, even if it meant that I had to buy any other car from my initial choices I would have had gone for that. But luckily we were able to get this 8 seater Scorpio[:D]

Congrats on your new acquisition. I guess, yours is the second Scorpio-mhawk in black on TAI.Here is the other. Wishing you many miles of pleasant ownership on the torque tank.
Hope you have taken the TWO year extended warranty. Please keep the thread updated.

Thanks a lot buddy. Wish you the same. Guess we are in the same league. No I have not opted for the extended warranty. Thought it was not necessary on a tried and tested product. Is it really necessary and if so what is the deadline before if I have to opt for it.

Sethuji,
Having to buy TWO Ecosports, one is in the 20L + territory.
Guess I am not so rich to own a 2 Ecosports[;)]

Thanks a lot buddy. Wish you the same. Guess we are in the same league. No I have not opted for the extended warranty. Thought it was not necessary on a tried and tested product. Is it really necessary and if so what is the deadline before if I have to opt for it.
You can choose to buy the Scorpio Shield any time within the first two year warranty period. But if you take it within 60 days from the date of purchase of your vehicle, it will be cheaper.

P.S: Just for a complete peace of mind, I would have opted for a 4 year warranty period.

Yeah a lot can go wrong during the 4 years . it is just to cover for the essential electronics.
Ex : an AC coil which went kaput in my scorpio costs around 7.8k. i got it done for free in warrranty. some companies charge for the gas etc , but we were charged nothing [:)]

Since yours is a vlx, things like cruise control, and auto lights,TPMS etc can go kaput with 4 years. so an extra premium of 10K is worth it.

There are things like power windows and other electricals which are covered in it except the regular wear and tear items, so it is just for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Hey Ragmax.

Congrats on your all new hawk.

Wish you miles of safe and happy motoring.

From the tyres it looks like MRF wanderer's.

I would have preferred Bridgestone.

Nice review & its interesing that Scorpio has this distinct feature amongst the M&M cars of having its cladding & bumpers in a contrast colour I am told & not the same as the car colour! Interesting thing you shared about XUV service.

BTW I took my Bolero delivery 3 months back from Anant cars on BG road I am guessing the one on mysore road is also the same company/dealership. My experience was just okay & they delayed delivery by few days after full payment but overall they seem to be good!

How has your experience been with Anant? Also You have not mentioned the onroad price of the car can you please share.

Last edited:

Top Bottom