Updated Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 SX CRDi 2013 - My White Viper!

Thread Starter #1
Updated Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.6 SX CRDi 2013 - My White Viper! 17000 KMs 3.5 years

My Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX CRDi is about to complete 3 months on 22nd November 2013. 1400 Kms run so far. So decided to write an ownership review on TAI. Thank you guys for having
patience in reading it.

How it started ? Back to history :

Year 1988-2004
Passion for car was always there with me since my childhood. I used to love buying toy cars till I was in college.

Year 2005-2008
As I started becoming financially independent
and started doing my job, I always wanted to own a car for myself. But that was not possible till I could save enough. More ever, I wanted to gift my parents a car
as they had to use public transports for their daily commute. The day came in 2008, August 11, When I bought a Swift VXi for my parents at my native (Bhubaneswar).
I could see the happiness in my mother's eyes. She was very proud of me. Sense of satisfaction of gifting the car to my parents was much more than having the car for myself.

Year 2008-2010
I used to drive the Swift whenever I used go to my native (mostly twice a year). When I was in Chennai(during 2010-2011), I used to drive my brother's i10 to my office daily. My brother prefer to
take his pulsar or cycle to office (he is a bit of environmentalist). There I could feel the difference how i10 was an ease to drive as compared to the 2nd generation Swift. The steering
was very light as compared swift and extremely easy to handle even in B2B traffic. Also I could feel premium ness of i10 over the Swift. Somehow I started getting affinated to Hyundai
products than Maruti.

Year 2011-2012
After a year or so, I changed my job as well as location to Bangalore. It was year 2011, the year when Hyundai introduced next generation Verna with fluidic design. I was mesmerized with
look of the car. Decided to own the car in near future. But buying a car was not that priority during my bachelor days. Even though I was earning a decent amount, still did not want to buy
car till I had settled in my life.

It was year 2012, December 12 (Yes 12/12/12), when I got my married to my beautiful girl friend and shifted to good locality in Bangalore.

Year 2013
Slowly as year 2013 started, after settling down,
we both decided to buy a car. My wife wanted a sedan. Buying a premium sedan was no more a distant dream for us as we both are earning. We would discuss cars on the way to office (Yes, we both
were working in same office). We both liked Honda City. Renault Duster, Mahindra XUV 5oo and Hyundai Verna. Somehow, I was interested in Ford Ecosport also. So wanted to wait till June till
the launch was announced.

Honda City was not on my radar was I was only looking for car with a diesel engine. Renault Duster was too expensive for the features they provide. Mahindra XUV was way out of my budget.
Then left Hyundai Verna and Ford Ecosport. After going through lot of forums , I was bit disappointed with Verna's review. Whether it 's fragile bumper or bad handling at high speed or
suspension issues. The last one that was left - Ford Ecosport.

June 2013
It was June 26, 2013. The day Ecosport was launched. I went through the website and found the car to be very attractive both in looks and price. Decided that we will buy the Ecosport. Verna
was no more in the list as I had read lot of negative feedbacks on various forums regarding handling.

I went to Metro Ford, Marathalli on 29 June to check out the new Ford Ecosport. The dealer place was a mela. Crowd was gathered there to see the new launch. Dealer attitude towards people was cold.
Saw the car. Iiked it from the looks. Then after waiting for 30 mins, I finally got a chance to sit inside the car. Then the reality unfolded. The car inside was cramped. rear seat felt as if
I am in a WagonR. I felt clostorophobic. Even my wife felt so. The dark interior was making the space feel more cramped inside. The SA was hardly answering our queries properly. They were in
their full attitude. I felt humilated and left the showroom even without asking for a TD.

Went straight to Trident Hyundai showroom at K R Puram. The SA made a warm welcome to us. They immediately provided us a Verna SX CRDi for TD. I took the TD and found the car to be
very good in pick up (linear in nature due to VGT), handling was superb (max speed 60 km/h) and interior was spacious. Came out Trident Hyundai with a smile on my face.

Before booking Verna, my wife wanted me to TD Vento and Rapid too so that we won't regret for anything later.

July 13, 2013

I along with my wife went to VW showroom at Marathalli for a TD. SA was very courteous and polite and explained us the car features. After taking a photocopy of my DL, He arranged a TD car.
The car interior looked very plain. Not much of fancy stuffs as in Verna. The car, to be frank, did not feel like an 12 lacs car. But the time I started driving it, wallah! what a fun car to drive.
Felt awesome pull of the car. Loved the way car handled. SA told me they are offering 3 years insurance for free and 8K as corporate discount. Thanked him and went to Skoda showroom (Mahavir Auto)
for a TD. It was already evening and no TD was available then. Decided to go to Skoda showroom next day.

July 14, 2013
Went to Mahavir Auto , Marathalli for taking a TD of Rapid. The price of the car was almost same as Vento and Verna (all top end). The interior was exact replica of Vento except for green
illuminating dash and HU. Took the drive. The TD car seems to have problem. The gear shift was not smooth. Pick up, handling felt exactly same as Vento.

Then my wife suggested me to TD Verna again so that we can differentiate between them better. Then I decided to go to Advaith Hyundai at Bellandur. Asked the SA if Verna will be coming with
new colors. He said, colors will be same but the alloy design has changed. He showed me the updated Verna at his showroom. I was bit disappointed with the new alloy's looks as I liked the
old design more. He also explained me the new updated features. However, he told me that they had both old model and new model in stock and can deliver according to our choice. Why I went
for new one even though I didn't like the alloys, I will explain that later as we proceed through my post.

Took the TD of the car. During all TDs, my wife would sit at rear to compare how it feels to be a rear passenger. She gave me verdict that Verna feels very comfortable,spacious and luxurious at rear than
Vento or Rapid. I found verna to be smooth while shifting gears, pickup was linear and never felt like a diesel engine.

So it was decided. It would be Hyundai Verna to my next companion on the road.

August 6, 2013
I and my wife decided not to buy the car by paying all cash from our savings. But to pay 50% DP and 50% loan. Details about loan and bank I will explain later in the post.

August 9, 2013
It was Eid and was a holiday for us that day. Also an auspicious day for us as it was NagPanchami. We both went to Trident Hyundai. Why Trident Hyundai? I will explain that later in post.
Booked the new updated model of Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX CRDi. Color we both liked was white. How we came to color white. I will explain that later in the post. Booking anount paid was INR 10K.
Provided necessary documents for loan and registration. We had planned to take loan from SBI and not from any private banks.

August 12, 2013
SBI guys came for a address check at office and home. They did not ask much. Just verified and left.

August 14, 2013
Got an sms from SBI that loan processing has started.

August 16, 2013
Got a call from SBI that loan has been approved and money to dealer will soon be disbursed.

August 17, 2013
Trident Hyundai's SA Divya called and told that car has been ordered and dispatched and will be delivered in 1-2 days.

August 19, 2013
We paid the DP of inr 5,89,000 to Trident Hyundai through cheque. Cheque would take 2 days time to get encashed. I wanted the car on thursday, as it was an auspicous day.

August 22, 2013
My checque was en cashed and SBI also had disbursed tge loan amount. Trident Hyundai confirmed me the delivery of the car at 4 30 pm evening.

I left from office early along with my wife at 3 pm. Came home and got freshen up. Took an auto to Trident Hyundai at 4 30. We reached around 4 45 pm.
SA greeted us and provided all necessary documents to complete the formalities. Then took us to the car. Did some inspection and found two stone chip marks
on rear bumper. Sales Manager came and promised that they will fix it next time I bring the car the service. I was ok with that as it was like a "Nazarbottu" to the new car :).

Few likes and dislikes for my white viper :
1. Futuristic design. It's a sheer beauty!
2. Big boot. (with remote opening from key)
3. Full of gadgets and features. I love the reverse parking camera and power folding OVR mirrors the most.
4. Smooth gear shift.
5. Responsive engine with very linear pick up (thanks to VGT).
6. Premium and roomy interior.
7.Comfortable front and rear seats . (Yes, you read it right! I love seating in the back too)
8. Very firm handling at high speed with really tight steering. (Yes, again you read it right. It seems to contradict to older fluidic Verna's behavior.)
9. Suspension are boon for city drive. I hardly notice any thud sound after going through any bad patch of road. Believe me GC is more than enough if you drive sensibly over big bumps.

The list for likes goes endless but above few are highlights.

Dislikes :
1. Fogging of head lamps after driven in rain.
2. Paint quality seems poor. Stone chips happens even though you drive carefully.
3. Sunglass holder rattles with sunglasses in it.
4. Brakes sometimes feels hollow. Though it works perfectly fine.

What I wanted more for SX variant (considering the amount paid):
1. Chrome gear knob.
2. Leather wrapped steering wheel.

Total Price of the car (with approx breaks ups):
Ex-showroom Bangalore : INR 9, 99, 900
Road tax : INR 1, 55, 000
Insurance : INR 42,000 (approx, do not remember exact)
Handling charges : INR 7,500
Discount : INR 15,000

Total cost of owning: INR 11, 89, 000
Added : 1. 3M Teflon coating : INR 4000
2. 3M Under body anti rust coating :INR 4000
Freebies I got from dealer :
1. Original mats. (excluding boot)
2. Original car cover.
3. Perfume
4. Idol
5. Mud flaps (Is this comes with car?)
6. Chocolates :)

Details about dealers, comparison about different models ,choice of banks for loan, choice of colors etc ... all details will follow soon.. along with pics. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers!
Soumitra

Last edited:
Re: Updated Hyundai Fludic Verna 1.6 SX CRDi 2013 - My White Viper!

Soumitra, congrats on your new car. The thread is incomplete without pictures. Wish you many happy miles ahead.

Hi,
Congratulations on your new Verna. Nice to see that you have first fulfilled the dream of your parents with a Swift Surprise.
Wishing you many more happy miles.

Congratulations brother. Enjoy your white viper. Please post more pictures especially the interiors. You have also left a few questions unanswered, hoping another update shortly.

Hey Kentkits congratulations for your ride! Love the new stock alloys.
Very nice write up! Post some more pictures. [:)]

Hey Kenkits that's a nicely written review.

Loved reading every bit of it. Waiting for more pictures and wishing you miles of niggle free ownership.

Hi Soumitra, good to see your write up, its just like reading your own writing. I’m amaze to see you memorized all the dates. Mine story is almost same, I’ve been dreaming for a car since my college days. But we had already a car (father’s) and we don’t use it that much. But car is not that require, Sedan was my dream. Its like I had no reason to get a car, I’m still bachelor, already had a car but this Verna took my heart away and thought to get this one as a replacement of our old car and something for my parents too. Bike was my passion I had bike (Hunk) I took it when 1st started job few years back. I also thought to get a Sports bike (1000cc) but have less time these days also no one else can use that except me, plus expensive.

I too fixed my mind for white Verna but just few minutes before booking saw a Silver Venra and book that. I too went for SBI but no luck. Also after the EcoSport lunched I decided for that, but I went through same feelings just like you.

It looks like this issue is a common for all (1. Fogging of head lamps after driven in rain.) mine too did same on the delivery day after a rainy drive and even few time after a ride park the car in our garage, no rain, a complete dry day, most probably due to high humidity inside.

Don’t know about the body paint but the bumper paints are truly poor, I got a small scratch and I could see the thickness of the paint.

But your insurance looks higher, I got mine at 32k from the showroom itself. BTW your car looks nice.

Thread Starter #10
Thank you Appu, Ambylovers, srid68, Kpaaz, singh890 and Soumen for those lovely words! I appreciate your time reading my review.[clap]

Lets the pics now do the talking. Pics are not of very good quality (taken from my cell phone):

The powerhouse with in and the key to the Viper

More pics follows : [:D]

DSC_0701.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0681.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #11

Review continues..

Why Hyundai Verna ?

To answer this question, let me first explain likes and dislikes of different cars
that I took into consideration :

1. Renault Duster :

DISLIKES
a. Over priced for features provided.
b. Under power
c. Very basic interior
d. Steering and ORVM controls are placed at weird locations.
e. After sales service availability is limited

2. VM Vento :
a. Fun to drive car with superior handling
b. Superior built quality
c. Three years insurance free

DISLIKES
a. Very plain interior
b. Limited features. No reverse camera even on Highline option.
c. Not very modern looking exterior.
d. After sales service is not as good.

3. SKODA Rapid
a. Better looking exterior (comparing to Vento)
b. Superior handling at par with Vento
c. One year insurance free

DISLIKES
a. Very plain interior. Looks little better than Vento due to green on screen backlit.
b. Limited features. Reverse camera available on top end but it gives impression similar to aftermarket fitment.
c. Disappointing and after sales service.

4. Ford EcoSports
b. Feature packed for the price. Like push button start, Voice control etc.

DISLIKES
a. Cramped interior. Good for max 4 people.
b. Limited boot space. Even bad than Duster.
c. Dealer attitude was bad and disappointing.
d. Ever long waiting period.

5. Hyundai Verna
a. Feature packed. Cooled glove box, power folding OVRM, Reverse camera with ECM rear view mirror, remote boot opener etc.
b. Premium interior. Feels like a car to be in with the price paid.
c. Very good pickup and handling.
d. Fuel efficient as compared to Vento, Rapid and Duster.
e. Attractive exterior thanks to fluidic design.
f. Large boot space and comfortable rear passenger seats.
g. Hyundai After sales and service. Best after Maruti in India.

DISLIKES
a. Built quality especially bumpers.
b. Poor paint quality at least on bumper. Prone to stone chip marks.
c. Fogging on head lamps after driven in rain.
d. No bargain in discounts or free insurance.

So considering all above points, Hyundai Verna was a clear winner for me. Its my own perception and no offense intended for other car's owners. They are good depending on people's own perceptions.

Congratulations Kentkits, I bought Verna SX(O) petrol for my sister in December 2011, though i did not drive this car but my sister is really happy with the performance, features...

Wishing you billions of happy miles with Viper[clap]

Thread Starter #13

Congratulations Kentkits, I bought Verna SX(O) petrol for my sister in December 2011, though i did not drive this car but my sister is really happy with the performance, features...

Wishing you billions of happy miles with Viper[clap]
Thank you Mukesh! I also feel the same as your sister. It's a very nice car to own.
But my car is just 1400 KMs run and hardly three months. Need some more time to
know exactly how the car will be doing!

Thank you Mukesh! I also feel the same as your sister. It's a very nice car to own.
But my car is just 1400 KMs run and hardly three months. Need some more time to
know exactly how the car will be doing!
Don't worry buddy, everything will be smooth; i have not heard any major problem in Verna.

Before buying this car my main concern was its ground clearance. But I drove through a very bad condition road, big potholes with full tank fuel loaded and also 3 ppl on the car but it went though fine, no ground touch. However I drove slowly and carefully.

Top Bottom