Volkswagen Polo TDi: From Elegant German Beauty To a Hot German Chic

Thread Starter #1
It all started after the sale of my Toyota Corolla CNG, Never earlier had i felt sentimental for any car but this was something special, i had spent about 13 months with the corolla. These 13 months had been the best phase of my driving period as i had really bonded with the car over the time. But due to its age and very hard persuasion from a friend decided on parting with it. So on 4th October 2013 i said goodbye to one of my dearest friend and companion who i had enjoyed precious ~ 15000 kilometers of my life drivng it in every manner desired.[cry]

Now began the search for the new beast. It was a pretty simple list we wanted an petrol so that we could continue it with CNG as we were very much impressed with its performance on the corolla and we wanted something that was not more than 5 years old. With a budget of around 5 Lacs we tried the below list and selected one of them.

1) Honda City I-Vtec :- This was our first choice of preference as it was a good city car which is running very successfully, has all the features and the power and had no issues with the CNG conversion as the company was providing an option with CNG on new cars. Drove a couple of 2009 and 2010 models ranging from 4.5 lacs to 6 lacs but somehow things did not materialize.

2) Toyota Corolla Altis:- The second choice of preference as we had been using the old corolla on CNG, A car with all the necessary features required and the Toyota reliability. Drove 2 of these cars, one being a 2008 which was around 4.25 and the other from a known person only which was a 2009 but decided to let go as the Altis had very expensive maintenance cost almost 3 times the price of the older Corolla.

3) Skoda Laura Ambiente 1.8 TSi:- Ahhh! my dream car. This was one of my dream machines, the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine with a 160 Horses and 250 Nm of Torque. Found an advertisement on the used car site, the car was near my house only, went to see it the next day. A very clean car which had run around 47k Km which had been maintained by autobahn. A pure pleasure to drive this car, smooth when you are driving it in a decent manner and a monster when you want it to become one. Now i was aware that it cannot be converted on CNG but still i wanted it and planned using it just on the weekends.The only problem was the car had Suspension problems for which we redused the money from the asking price and gave the offer but the owner was not willing to move from his quote hence did not go ahead with the deal.

4) Honda Accord 2.4 i-Vtec:- This was considered as an option but was a bit too big for us and specially me, hence did not consider it.

5) Honda Civic:- The last of the options on the List. The car was an all in one package having all the features and powers in one piece. Test drove a couple and finalized a December 2007 1.8 S MT which had done around 4 Lacs. The Car had run 47k Kms with complete service history and maintenance from Arya Honda.

The Civic

I was pretty sad after the farewell of my Toyota Corolla. Now my father has always told me that never keep personal attachment with your machines as it make it difficult for us to part with it. But this was different, i had spent 15000 kms with that beast, had the best and the worst moments with it. It was almost impossible to not fall in love with it. The same period is enough for us to fall in love with a girl who might end up ditching us, but here was a machine who was your companion in all your journeys who has faced a lot of batters and abuse but still kept smiling.
Anyways the Civic replaced the Corolla and in comparison with it was a class apart from it. The I Vtec is a pure pleasure to drive. In fact of all the I Vtecs that i drove i.e the City and the Accord type 3 this was the most refined of the lot. Drove this car for 2 weeks on petrol and fell completely in love with it. Compared to all its competition it was by far the best car i had driven even better than the Laura TSi. The average that i received on petrol was around 12kmpl in city with AC. Now the car was such a pleasure that i did not want to risk it on CNG. So i test drove a couple of CNG Civics and frankly after driving them i opted not to fit it on CNG as the car is good on CNG but the I vtec charm and refinement is completely lost. Thought of keeping on petrol only but the 60Km daily run for me was very heavy on the pocket as i had just started earning. So after a lot of thinking and some requests from one of my cousins decided on parting with Honda Civic.

The Entry of the Unicorn.

With the departure of the Civic we were back to the square. We decide on not to go for CNG so finalized that it would be a diesel. So went to a couple of advts on the site and decided as follows. Again the same budget of around 5 Lacs . Main criteria was the service history.

1. Maruti Swift Dzire :- Saw an ZDi version test drove the car. The car was in good shape and very well maintained but somehow due to the rattling noises which is a common problem in marutis and my complete hatred for its shape we rejected it.

2. Skoda Laura L&K:- Saw this car on the advertisement, it was a 2007 model L&K in a very neat condition maintained nicely and serviced by the company. A monster to drive with the DSG box had all the goodies and very strong built like a tank had done around 70k kms. But did not go ahead with one due to the fear over the DSG box and maintenance.

But after thinking a little we decide not to go for a sedan and go for an hatchback as we already have an Toyota Innova so if we bought a sedan then all the journeys in city and out of city would be done on it and the innova would be ignored. Hence a hatchback was finalized so that all city runs would be done on it and all out of city on the Innova. So the following options were considered.

3. Hyundai I 20 CRDi:- It was one of our first choices as it had all the feature and great engine to drive, but unfortunately there were no decent cars available in the market hence had to let it go.

4. Maruti Ritz VDi ( ABS): Saw this car near a known dealer. It was a 2011 model had done around 36k kms. Good condition and well maintained. Drove the car and found it nice but was a bit noisy as the noise was very easily heard within the cabin. Almost had finalized it until saw the unicorn.

5. VW Polo Tdi:- The same dealer had a VW polo standing behind in the parking lot, when inquired found it on sale also. It was a 2010 Highline model in very good condition, very well maintained had clocked 40k Kms. Drove the car for a short round liked its quality and built. The noise was a lot refined for a 3 Cylinder Diesel. Father also drove it he fell in love with it and decided on that. The car has complete service history till date with complete maintenance by VW.

The Unicorn Comes Home [:D]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Preowned Volkswagen Polo Tdi- The Unicorn

Here are few pictures of the Unicorn or as i like to call it a mint with a hole.

Attachments

Congratulations on Your New Unicorn [:D]

Btw, this is the High line Polo right ? It doesn't come with internally adjust ORVM's or the Steering mounted audio controls ?[surprise]

Thread Starter #4

@ vishnu vichu : No Buddy, the 2010 Highline version did not have the electrically adjustable ORVM nor did it have the steering mounted control and it does not even have the Climatronic AC. All these features were added in the 2012 edition of the car according to me.

Re: Pre-owned Volkswagen Polo TDi - The Unicorn

Congratulations on the Polo. Enjoy your car and it's a good thing you don't have to worry about running in the car which is very difficult if you've been driving cars for a long time [:D]

According to me, the old Polos were not value for money compared to the newer ones which are. This is because the newer ones (CL/HL) come with a lot of features compared to the earlier models.

Regards,
Vipin

Thread Starter #7
@ anshuman8: Thanks for the wishes buddy. We paid 5.25 Lacs for the car. It is a 2010 December Highline version with complete service history fro the start till the time i bought it. The car has run around 42 k kms the last service was done at 39 K kms. Its like you know the history of the car and each and everything of the car has been replaced at VW service centres let it even be a bulb. The owner had just changed the tyre and the battery of the car in september. The invoicing total of the car was 8.75 Lakhs plus he had spent another 50 k for the VIP number.

@ VipinLJ: Thanks for the wishes buddy. We keep on changing car every 2 years or even earlier so yes we do not face that much maintenance issues. but seriously i want to keep a car and see the long term ownership and see but again due me and my dads passion for cars its very rare that any car can satisfy us for more than 2 years.[;)]

About previous and present polo's it really does not make much of a difference to us as we are buying a pre owned car hence usually we have to accept it with what it comes but when you are buying a new one you have a lot of choices. Now luckily this was a Highline version so we got all the required feature if it was our bad luck it would have been a CL or a TL. Now usually we don't only wait for a specific car or a specific variant but if its good we go for it. Also the advantage of the pre owned cars is that the diff in a base and the top end model is hardly 30-40 k which is less compared to the difference you pay while buying a new car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #8

The Drive

So far in the past 12 days after purchase I have driven the car for about 550 kms. The delivery of the car was taken by my father. The car was in perfect shape except for few scratches on the Front and rear bumper other than that the body was clean. The interiors were in spick and span condition.

Now if it had been petrol the car would have gone for a CNG conversion and as we would have opted for the Sequential Kit it would have taken about 2 days for the fitting and I would have been able to use that after that only. Here the case was different the car was ready and I had to just put in the diesel and drive that’s it.

The next day I get ready to take the car to office. I sit inside the car and start it. The cabin is pretty quiet for a diesel and that to a 3 pot one. In fact my Toyota Innova makes much more noise inside the cabin. Anyways the Odometer has this MID display which shows a lot of information like distance to empty, current average, overall average, average speed, current speed, external temperature. Now the Fuel meter was showing half tank on digital display and the distance to empty shown was 130 Kms. I start driving the car as I hit the road I find a gap which I want to cover so that no car comes in between but the car resists she takes her own sweet time to cover it (TURBO LAG). I was shocked now I had taken the test drive of the car but it was a busy street where the car was moving smoothly where sudden surge of power was not required but here the case was different. It was pretty difficult for me to get adjusted as I had shifted from the 130 Horse beast to a 75 horse Pony (before I started liking it) for which the torque was available between 2200-4200 RPM. It was really bad driving the car for 2 days I kept banging my head constantly saying what father bought. But after 2 days I slowly started getting adjusted to the driving manner of the car. The Turbo surges out only after 2200 RPM so the best way to cover up gaps is a downshift. As days past by I slowly started loving the Pony. Now the pony was looking like a Unicorn to me where I could drive it in a chilled manner to get phenomenal average or get a good amount of power when want some enthusiastic driving. Yes the car has good power compared to its size and which I feel is more than enough for the City. It has been 12 days now I am falling more and more in love with the car am really happy with my father’s choice on this one. But 550 Kms is just a peanuts distance I have to munch more miles. Will keep you’ll Updated with all the reports of the car good and bad.

Even if it is my car I shall give you my Unbiased opinion on it.

Good Points

1. Very smart looking car. Compared to all the hatchbacks available in the market I feel this is one of the hottest looking hatches along with the Fiat Punto.

2. The Quality of the materials used for the dashboard is excellent and top notch quality except for the AC vents. The AC vents are pretty bad and keep on getting dislocated on slight pressure. This problem is from quite some time as the previous owner has complained about it to the A.S.S. in the service manual record.

3. The Air-conditioning even is not cliamtronic is a chiller and chills the cabin very quickly even on a hot sunny day.

4. The Head Unit is the original VW RCD 300 without the AUX or USB ports. The quality is exceptionally good for a stock unit. It has great bass effect. Still considering an aftermarket head unit or the RCD 510.

5. The MID is a very useful giving all the required information.

6. The Biggest point for this car is the Fuel Economy of this car. The moment when I started using the car the Distance to empty shown was 130 Kms. I used the car in the city along with the freeway in 50% AC and at cruising speeds of 80-90 Kmph. I was able to drive approximately 210 Kms when the Low fuel warning came and even after that the Distance to empty shown was 50 kms. I have fuelled the car after that in which I have driven the car in mix conditions i.e speeding up to 150-160 km on the empty stretch twice or thrice with a couple of Redlining’s and a lot of enthusiastic driving’s. The overall average I have got is still of 17 Km/Ltr.

7. The Car is strongly built and the doors open and close with a ‘Thud’ typical German style.

8. The Highline feature comes with a lot of useful features.

9. The Boot space is really good for a hatch back, can easily carry two large suitcases or 3 medium bags.

Bad Points

1. The engine does make a lot of noise but only externally. The Cabin NVH levels have been maintained very well.

2. The engine lags response; it only comes to life after 2200 RPM. So people with enthusiastic driving plans please stay away from it unless you are going for the GT TDI. Will plan a remap in the future if I plan on keeping the car for a long term and there is a good remap available in the market.

3. The interior space is very cramped up in fact it’s the worst in the segment. Now I am about 6 ft 1 inch tall so there is very little hope that someone can sit behind me so when I am driving the car is a strict 3 seater. You can see the pictures.

4. Ground clearance is an issue which people have faced a lot but not for me as I take it very slowly over humps. But yes there is always fear of scraping.

Well these have been the points that I have been able to know up to now. Will keep you’ll updates on the issues and the further miles and also my plans to upgrade the car a little but step by step.

I agree with your good and bad points [:)]

BTW, I think it is the RCD 030 and not the RCD 300. My car has the same headunit and the headunit manual says it is the RCD 030.

Regards,
Vipin

Thread Starter #10

@ VipinLJ : Sorry Buddy actually i am unaware of the number i had read it while reading some thread hence i wrote it. Actually the stock unit is good enough but the only issue is that i need to keep on burning CD's everytime there is a new set of songs available. I did find some new sets of RCD 510 ranging from 16 to 25k but then again there is this issue that it requires some adapter cables which some are ready to offer and some not. Now i did ask the price of the RNS 510 but man it is costly although it provides a lot of features i could get the best music systems for both the Polo and the Innova and still have plenty of cash left.
Also the RCD does not support an external reverse cam it requires an original VW cam which again costs around 15k. Rather than all this you will get a good Pioneer head unit with good speakers and reverse camera with reverse parking sensors and navigation for around 25k.
So still have a bit of time to see if its worth swapping or run on the stock. But as quoted earlier will go step by step as i hav just started working 2 years back and vitamin M is not good in flow yet.[;)]

@ VipinLJ : Sorry Buddy actually i am unaware of the number i had read it while reading some thread hence i wrote it. Actually the stock unit is good enough but the only issue is that i need to keep on burning CD's everytime there is a new set of songs available. I did find some new sets of RCD 510 ranging from 16 to 25k but then again there is this issue that it requires some adapter cables which some are ready to offer and some not. Now i did ask the price of the RNS 510 but man it is costly although it provides a lot of features i could get the best music systems for both the Polo and the Innova and still have plenty of cash left.
Also the RCD does not support an external reverse cam it requires an original VW cam which again costs around 15k. Rather than all this you will get a good Pioneer head unit with good speakers and reverse camera with reverse parking sensors and navigation for around 25k.
So still have a bit of time to see if its worth swapping or run on the stock. But as quoted earlier will go step by step as i hav just started working 2 years back and vitamin M is not good in flow yet.[;)]
I understand mate. The RCD 510 at 16k is pretty decent but as long as you are happy with the stock system (like how I am), then I say stick with it. The only problem (and a major one) with it is that it supports only CD. I wouldn't have minded one bit if VW had atleast put in an aux option and charged like Rs. 2000 extra for the car. Seriously.

Hi Sandy,

With your above problem, I would advise you to try this. My friend has installed this in his Rapid (top end) which has same problem as Polo HU.

Cheers,
Anshuman
It doesn't necessarily have to be a straight fit. Different YM of the Polo have come with different types of connectors. That's what I understood after reading online. I don't know which YM comes with which. I wish VW had just stuck with one type of connector for all their cars which would have made it so much easier for everyone including VW. [frustration]

Regards,
Vipin

Thread Starter #13

@ anshuman8 : Thanks a lot for the help buddy, from what i saw the link it is a All in one fit which is installed above the rear view mirror. Actually i would have preferred the dashboard unit only as if i am playing anything while driving it might obstruct my view, i am some how fans of the Dashboard units. and with the external units i am not sure about the quality of sound on playing.

@VipinLJ: That is the issue bro i know 16 k is cheap and say even another 2k for the adopter but then there is no warranty for the piece as well as no guarantee about the wiring so do not want to take the risk. As i said i might plan not sure about it yet. The present sound quality is superb for a stock head unit. i will be posting my list maybe tomorrow about what i plan to do but i am not sure whether i will be able to do it and how much of it will be completed.

@ anshuman8 : Thanks a lot for the help buddy, from what i saw the link it is a All in one fit which is installed above the rear view mirror. Actually i would have preferred the dashboard unit only as if i am playing anything while driving it might obstruct my view, i am some how fans of the Dashboard units. and with the external units i am not sure about the quality of sound on playing.
The quality of sound is good as the input goes to stock HU. It does not obstruct your view at all as its mounted on the IRVM

@ anshuman8: I just realised that you were talking about an external monitor. I am so sorry. I did not read it properly. I thought you were talking about an aftermarket headunit for the Polo. My bad. [frustration]

Regards,
Vipin

Top Bottom