Mahindra XUV 500 - The First Sliver W8 AWD in India

Thread Starter #1
Forget the past and enter the future.

The XUV when launched 2 yrs back, set my heart on fire. Always longing to get one, but then the niggles start appearing one after the other and the thought of new car went into sideline. Fast forward 2 yrs. I wanted a new car to replace my Tata safari LX.

My requirements were:-
Has to be SUV

1-It has to be spacious with good boot space.
2-Loaded with as many safety features as possible and loaded with features.
3-Good ground clearance.
4-Preferably 7 seater to be used in city occasionally during parents visit.
5-If possible 4wd.

Budget was around 15 lakhs.

Shortlisted following cars:-
-Duster.
-Ecosport.
-XUV.
Later on
-Rexton.
-Fortuner.

The process began with test drive of Duster. It rides well, handling is good, liked the looks as well but was let down by poor interiors, lack of rear leg room space, spartan features, no ADW option, incremental increase in cost over the year. Did not find it value for money.

Ecosport was launched. Went for the test drive on the same day. First reaction was wow, highly impressed, top end fully loaded with features, booked it on the spur of moment. Took another test drive the next day, liked the car but realization strikes with lack of rear leg space, not very spacious, lack of grunt on highway, again no awd option, with a heavy heart cancelled the booking.

Things were getting really confusing on one hand my heart was with XUV while my mind was holding me back. In the mean time saw Rexton. Good solid car with proper 4WD and low gear, interior quality was very good, but was expensive. I was willing to stretch the budget but again the rear seat disappointed, being set very low with lack of thigh support. The third row is really bad. Not willing to compromise let it go.

Fortuner was ruled out without a test drive. Way too expensive, out of budget, huge to drive in the city, not value for money though a very capable offroader.

Now i have gone through almost all of the ownership review posted in this forum as well as others in last 2 yrs. Most of the problems reported were with the early batch of XUV with gradual reduction in the niggles over a period to time. Minor glitches here and there, nothing serious. Concentrated on getting info from ownership threads in late 2013 and came to the conclusion that Mahindra has been proactive and most of the niggles has been sorted.[:)]

Booked my AWD W8 XUV on 26th of September with delivery promised by Diwali. During discussion with the Manager of the dealership Mr Arun Vyas, told him that all family member liked silver color a lot but AWD is not available in that color. He said that as it is made on order we can give it a try and send a request for AWD model in silver color. He pursued the matter with Mahindra. Hats off to Mahindra for looking into customers interest. I am one happy customer with there customer centric approach. [:D]

Received call from dealer that the car will be delivered on Saturday, completed all the formalities but requested the delivery on sunday being Diwali day. Did a detailed PDI , checked and found every thing working to satisfaction, only 15 km on the odo, took delivery. Received pooja box from dealer, straight way went for customary pooja of new car.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

Finance from SBBJ at 10.3 % floating applied online.
Zero dep insurance from oriental through dealer - 45000 rs, less discount 24000.

Accessories free.
Side strips and reverse camera.
Dealer promised cash discount.

Rear guard-paid 4500 rs for it.
Floor matting 3D some brand for 2200, and metallic scuff plates for 500 rs from outside.

Next day left for a trip to Jailasmer-Tannot. It was a effortless drive, have driven about 1200 Km, no niggles so far. Avg fuel consumption during the trip 13.3 by tank full method. Kid love the space. Driving position is good. Seats are supportive. Gear is bit notchy, must improve with time.

Plan to upgrade my tyres and horn as of now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations shyamxy for the Cheetah [clap] wishing you millions of happy & safe miles with your ride.

Congratulations.

Good to know that Mahindra is willing to go out of the way to please customers.

Wish you a long trouble free and exciting ownership.

Congratzz Shyam. Looks great and XUV 5oo Suits best with Moondust silver.
Post some interior pics too.
How about the suspension and braking?

Thread Starter #10
Thanks friends.

Yes raj I am really satisfied Mahindra customer as of now.

Silver color was the first choice and Mahindra fulfilled our desire.

Yayess143 will definitely post interior pictures as soon as possible.

Around 2000 km on odo.

Upgraded the tyres. The biggest problem is there is very limited choice. My beast came with JK elanza tyres. Researched and found following, sharing incase it is helpful to others.

Stock tyre size- 235 65r 17.
Options:-
1.Bridgestone. Probably not a worthy upgrade.
2.Apollo, Goodyear ruled out. No good reviews.
3.Michelin, soft side wall.
Wanted some ATS tyres.
Yokohama not available in this size.
Discussed with a tyre dealer known to me. The only option was import route.
Choices
1.Continental cross contact ATS my first choice not available in oem size in India.
2.Falcon wild peak. According to dealer not a good tyre.
tyre1.jpg
3.Cooper discovery ATS. Very good reviews. Expensive Around 22-25 K per tyre. No warranty. No guaranty of getting extra tyre in future if one of them go bust.
tyre2.jpg
4.Accelera Iota tyres. The one i went for. Mostly used in high end cars.
The speed rating of these tyres is higher than oem ones. They are xl tyres meaning having reinforced side walls. Not exactly AT but having mixed review. Went with them.
tyre3.jpg

tyre4.jpg

tyre5.jpg

As of now finding them satisfactory.
A trip to Gujarat is planed during new year will revert with the performance on Expressway.

Thread Starter #12
That's first thing I usually do is I feel that the tyre are of not good quality. Actually I wanted AT tyres. Planning a trip of my life time, to leh in june next year. I find that if you want to change then its better to do so within first 1000 km as you get good value in exchange.

Thread Starter #14
Thanks.

The set of five tyres cost me 37 k in exchange with jk tyres. As of now I feel they are much better with good road grip and braking. Will revert back when I complete my trip to Gujarat which is planed during new year.

Friends, I have a query, how reliable is the tyretronics pressure reading. If I go with it 32/ 30 psi front / rear, then my analogue pressure guage ( bell) shows almost 35 psi in front. My tyre inflator shows around 37-38 psi. Have to fill up to 34 / 32 at regular fuel pump for the tyretronics to show 32/30 psi. A bit confused. Thinking of buying a digital tyre pressure guage.

Top Bottom