My Long Ownership Review of a Peugeot 309.

Thread Starter #1
I obtained this car all the way back in 1996. Unfortunately Peugeot is no longer available in India.

I'm a French origin Indian and I was very glad to see this car come in India and just knew I had to purchase one. This was the first car I ever bought. I remember back in the day this car was actually criticized a lot and people had never heard of Peugeot in India. I however stubbornly wanted one and went for the purchase. It was the first car I ever owned on my personal name.

Compared to other cars available in India that I had driven at the time, I was really impressed with how smooth and responsible the car was. The car felt rock solid on Indian roads and the suspension was very strong.

In France, the 309 was considered to be a small car but in India, it was actually rather big compared to other cars. Nowadays, this isn't the case anymore.

Unfortunately due to the extreme heat in India, and that I didn't use covers, the dashboard plastics began to crack quite quickly. I've had to change the dashboard a few times. After using covers and taking care and with a new dashboard the cracking problem seems to have stopped.

This car does not have power steering so it is a more natural feel to steer it but a bit less convenient than cars with PS.

I have kept the car mostly stock. Its had 3 minor accidents from 96-02 but that has been completely fixed with original parts. What is nice about this car is how strong the body is, the metal seems to be thicker than most cars however this makes it a big heavy.

I bought the car in cream color but now its silver. There is a cassette player in it that still works and so does the AC. I haven't had the heart to change the player, but I've added a line from battery to charge phone and I can use that as a player with car speakers.

This car holds a lot of memories associated with it. I'm not married and my family consists of just me and my daughter. This is the car I drove her to school every day with. She also learnt to drive in this car and took her boyfriend on a first date driving this car.

Since the 2000's parts for the car are increasingly hard to find in India and for original parts its nearly impossible. Like I could not find the part that holds the boot latch. Luckily since I travel to Europe and deal with Import Export stuff in India, I can get the parts I want but its quite a hassle however it makes the car more precious to me.

This car has done around 560 000 km and is still going strong on original engine.

In recent times I don't use the car as much now as I have a Renault Fluence also. I recently also imported a Lotus Elise S Club Racer as I couldn't get one in India and that's my new toy. In France I own a Renault Mégane only and my daughter has a Citröen C5 there.

The Peugeot has been used mostly by my daughter since I bought my Fluence and she loves having this car that she grew up with and takes great pride in having it. She bought a Renault Pulse (which is just a Nissan Micra with Renault logo on it) with the intention of using that as main car and the Peugeot as secondary but unfortunately got into an accident which damaged the pulse beyond repair and is back to using the Peugeot as main vehicle. She intends to get another car to replace the Pulse that got scraped and then use 2 cars.

The Peugeot unfortunately recently got some damage in front because my daughter accidentally hit the back of a van. We haven't been able to completely restore it but I have arranged to pick up the head lamp covers and grille from a friend in France on my next visit. One of the doors also has small damage and a cracked handle but we don't know how that happened as my daughter found damage after returning to see her car when it was parked somewhere, most likely a hit and run.

What I find interesting is if I had (well now its my daughter's but she lets me use it if I want) this car in France, it would not be as special as there are still quite a few of them around. Here it is like a precious classic car that we find very valuable because its rare now so we take good car of it. In France a similar car would be used as a low value car for doing the dirty work.

Hope this car serves us for many more years.

Last edited:
Hello PondyPierre,

A very warm welcome to TAI.

Nice write up about your Peugeot 309. Is it a Petrol or Diesel version.

Kindly post some pictures of your modern day classic.

Have a nice stay here.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Thread Starter #3
Hello PondyPierre,

A very warm welcome to TAI.

Nice write up about your Peugeot 309. Is it a Petrol or Diesel version.

Kindly post some pictures of your modern day classic.

Have a nice stay here.

Cheers,
Anshuman
Petrol Might post pics but not sure as usually I don't like doing that and having my pictures on the Internet. And its kind of my daughter's vehicle now. It looks completely like any stock Peugeot 309 image you can find.

The thing to be aware of is that in France you will get lhd spec parts so the head light beam will be incorrect. I think you might have some luck in Bombay for spare parts if you need something I could find out for you as I regularly visit the spare parts market.

Hi Pondypierre,
Its great to know that the Peugeot 309 is still good after half a million kilometres.Can we expect a review of Lotus Elise?
Regards,
Aneesh.

Peugeot 309 was/is one of my dream car to own, but the desire didn't come true till date. It is quite difficult to see a clean example now-a-days.

Would love to see the actual snaps of the car

I'm a French origin Indian and I was very glad to see this car come in India and just knew I had to purchase one.
Hi. Welcome to TAI. I am an Indian origin Indian but I live in a part of India which was not a British colony. Just like you have a passion for everything French, I have a passion for everything Italian. I have no Italian roots but my surname happens to be the name of a place in Italy. So when the Fiat Uno was launched, I "just knew I had to purchase one". BTW our cars were actually assembled in the same plant owned by PAL.

This was the first car I ever bought.
So was my Uno.

I remember back in the day this car was actually criticized a lot and people had never heard of Peugeot in India.
The Uno was also criticized even though Fiat was well known. Peugeot was actually quite well known in Goa. Ask any taxi driver in Goa from the 60's and he'll say there nothing like a Peugeot for rough use.

I however stubbornly wanted one and went for the purchase. It was the first car I ever owned on my personal name.
Now this is looking my thread but with Fiat replaced by Peugeot. BTW even our first names have the same meaning.

Compared to other cars available in India that I had driven at the time, I was really impressed with how smooth and responsible the car was. The car felt rock solid on Indian roads and the suspension was very strong.
Do I really have to add to this?

I have kept the car mostly stock. Its had 3 minor accidents from 96-02 but that has been completely fixed with original parts. What is nice about this car is how strong the body is, the metal seems to be thicker than most cars however this makes it a big heavy.
Only difference in my case was a single very minor accident.

I bought the car in cream color but now its silver.
Mine was white but is now red (truly Italian). In fact it's currently being restored.

took her boyfriend on a first date driving this car.
My wife and me actually went out on our first date in my Uno years ago.

This car has done around 560 000 km and is still going strong on original engine.
I don't think I'll ever manage that.

Hope this car serves us for many more years.
I'm sure it will.

BTW what's your opinion about the Renault Logan. Again very similar to the 309 and criticized a lot, but extremely reliable and comfortable.

Hey PondyPierre,

Very nice write-up man and a very well-maintained 309 there.I used to see some of them on Delhi roads in my childhood days, but nowadays it has become a rear sight.

You are one real Renault fan (Must be the French connection). Have you ever used any brand other than French (just out of curiosity)?

It would be great,if you post some pics of the 309!!

Thread Starter #9
Hi. Welcome to TAI. I am an Indian origin Indian but I live in a part of India which was not a British colony. Just like you have a passion for everything French, I have a passion for everything Italian. I have no Italian roots but my surname happens to be the name of a place in Italy. So when the Fiat Uno was launched, I "just knew I had to purchase one". BTW our cars were actually assembled in the same plant owned by PAL.

So was my Uno.

The Uno was also criticized even though Fiat was well known. Peugeot was actually quite well known in Goa. Ask any taxi driver in Goa from the 60's and he'll say there nothing like a Peugeot for rough use.

Now this is looking my thread but with Fiat replaced by Peugeot. BTW even our first names have the same meaning.

Do I really have to add to this?

Only difference in my case was a single very minor accident.

Mine was white but is now red (truly Italian). In fact it's currently being restored.

My wife and me actually went out on our first date in my Uno years ago.

I don't think I'll ever manage that.

I'm sure it will.

BTW what's your opinion about the Renault Logan. Again very similar to the 309 and criticized a lot, but extremely reliable and comfortable.
Hey PondyPierre,

Very nice write-up man and a very well-maintained 309 there.I used to see some of them on Delhi roads in my childhood days, but nowadays it has become a rear sight.

You are one real Renault fan (Must be the French connection). Have you ever used any brand other than French (just out of curiosity)?

It would be great,if you post some pics of the 309!!
I've used Citroöen, Toyota, Suzuki and others. I like Japanese too.

The Logan is good but it feels a bit like a cheap car (and it is supposed to be like that). But its solid.

Monsieur Pierre, what a reminiscence! Je t'en remercie!

I wanted to buy a 309 (petrol) when it was launched in India but couldn't do so because of several factors the most crucial one being an absolute lack of money:biggrin:.

Jokes apart, even at that time I was pretty sure that in the right hands, the 309 would be able to last for at least 5 lakh kilometres but damn you monsieur, after all these years and out of nowhere, you have suddenly proven me very wrong[angry]. 5.6 lakh kilometres, I eat my words thoughts.

The 309 GLD was also launched later with that noisy but reliable TUD5 motor but I never could take an affinity towards the diesel motor; maybe because petrol was cheap in those days. So what I didn't have the money.

How are the other components holding up, especially the suspension, steering, and electricals? What about rust - Pondy is a humid place.

How easily are the spares available in France and what is their pricing like?

And yeah, even if I eat a bucketful of Crème brûlée, I'd still shout this hoarse "THIS THREAD IS NOTHING WITHOUT PICTURES!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom