Our Cute Whitey - Alto 800 LXi

Thread Starter #1
Prelude -

Our eight year old Indica Xeta GL with no AC or PS, was ageing more lately. Maintenance also was getting bigger compared to what it ran. In last eight years it had done only 20K kms.Also its FE was going down day by day.Initially it used to give 14 kmpl in city, then reduced to 12 kmpl and lastly it was hovering around 10-11 kmpl only.Also we needed a AC car.

Mid- 2013 -

My father was thing of replacing the above car with one with better FE, drive ability and having features like at least AC and PS.

Hence the hunt began -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-rs-4-5-lacs-finalized-maruti-alto-800-a.html

Sep - 2013 -

Discounts were raining in the market and we wanted to get our car during Durga Puja 2013 at Kolkata.

Initally our budget was around 4.5 lcas but after doing test drive for most of the cars we finally shortlisted Alto 800.

Why Alto 800 -

Honestly speaking, I hated the looks of this car since it was launched last year. Front inspired by Ford (FigO) and back was based on old gen Suzuki MR Wagon. The less said about the front, the better. There is no honeycomb grille or plastic that covers up the AC/radiator in the front.There is no provision for Fog Lamps in the bumper. Also on road it looked strange and flimsy as compared to original Alto or Alto K10.

So, one Saturday afternoon I walked lazily into a Maruti Showroom for a test drive. Got a very warm welcome and drive was arranged within few minutes. It was a white Alto 800 LXI. I asked the driver to sit beside me and packed two SAs at the back. Drove for around 10 kms in and around city in good and bad roads with AC on and off.

My perception changed after test drive. First the car is spacious than its predecessor. The AC was chilling. Old gen Alto was known for poor pick up with AC. This did not have that problem with even four people on board. Interiors was as spacious almost at par with Estilo/A-Star. The interiors though were very plain. No Left ORVM, No left key hole, no 12V socket etc.

FE , checked in TAI threads and others ,City 17, Highway 20.

Finally weighing all pros and cons decision was made, Alto 800 it has to be.

Dealership and buying process -

Dealer was shortlisted as "Mohan Motors" Sector -5 , Salt Lake , Kolkata.
We booked in Oct 1st week, but the prices were already raised. Anyway we got Sept 2013 prices and discounts. It was nice and hasslefree transaction. Payed the full amount and took delivery after 2 days. We got it delivered with TC plates only as during Durga Puja RTO offices are closed for 10 days at a stretch.

We took insurance on our own , transferred NCB from our old car to new one.

Driving , first 100 kms -

The car is very light and smooth to drive. Though compared to my Manza it seems it may take off the road any time. Clutch is loose(has to be rectified in 1st service), gear is notchy as old gen Wagon R (specially reverse). Not checked FE at all but presume to be 15+ based on the bar type electronic Fuel Gauge.

Lots of talk, time of couple of pics - during delivery and after puja being performed.

Attachments

Congratulations! Nice car
Here in Chile it has arrived recently, but now we are seeing it more often

Please comment later about the FE

Happy miles!

Thread Starter #5
Thanks all for your comments and wishes.

I tried to gather some more points for our Alto 800.

Styling and Design:

As I already stated above, the car is a basic one and not launched to win any beauty contests. The looks are "inspired" by many cars some from Suzuki and other manufacturers as well. The best part of the design is Maruti have raised the roof height, hence head room is more as well as getting in and out out is easy. However, Maruti has not overdone the curves here like the Hyundai Eon. Finally, the roof scoops down at the rear which gives it a nice sporty look. Also, note that the roof is ribbed to strengthen the chassis framework. Ground clearance is very good for city roads full of potholes.

Build Quality, Fit and Finish :

Like any other Maruti car (maybe except Swift/SX4) the build of thin sheet metal. But they have done a good job in fit and finish. Bodylines are clean. Panels fit neatly and I could barely find any inconsistent panel gaps (unlike TATA ...aahh). As far as the build and strength of panels are concerned, door panels seem strong and won’t buckle/dip when pressed hard with the finger.

Interior Styling :

The interiors look plane and cost cutting will be evident at every corners. The quality of plastics are "OK" types but not bad at the price point. I have to say better than Nano. I have not sat inside Eon, so can't draw a comparison. Interiors are offered in 2 colours – dark grey and dark brown. The former is better of the two. Good that Maruti doesn’t have a beige option!
The newly launched VXi variant comes with OEM Audio set up and some other bells and whistles in a very good effort to freshen up the interiors. Neat lines run through the dashboard and make it seem less cluttered and more functional. The instrument cluster has silver linings , there is ODO meter, digital fuel gauge but no temperature meter.

Space, Seating & Comfort:

When compared to the Zen Estillo and A Star, the rear seat leg space was little more and the car feels roomier. Unless you are over 6 feet tall and are sitting behind a driver who happens to be over 6 feet tall, you won’t have a problem with the legroom whatsoever! The front leg space is much better than old gen Alto and comparable to Wagon R/Omni. The seating will be perfect for 4 adults and 1 kid. The boot space is disappointing though. It can fit 1 big suitcase or two large travel bags. Also there is no parcel shelf in LXI and below versions.

Engine Performance, Fuel Economy and Gearbox, Ride Quality/Handling :

Though it is the old Maruti 796cc engine block it has nicely been tuned for city drives. The power output is 48 BHP but you can pull upto 80 kmph effortlessly. It’s got good low end torque too. It’s very easy to drive about in B2B city traffic. With the AC on and off and it does not show much problem with the AC on. You can pull the car easily with AC on and 4 adults on board. Second gear in AC, the car pulls also. The gearbox is bit notchy, like the old gen Wagon R. Steering is light as a feather and is a joy to drive at city speeds. EPS makes parking and maneuvering easy in city traffic. There is minute body roll when you turn sharply but not as evident as Wagon R. FE is promised to be about 17-18 kmpl in city conditions. Maruti claims a fuel efficiency - 22.7 kpl in ARAI tests.

Overall PROs-

Good City and Highway FE figures
Spacious Interiors
Nice handing in City traffic
Light EPS
Good suspension set up
Excellent Value for Money
Low cost to own & maintain

Overall CONs -

Power Window switches behind gear lever
No LORVM
No Left key hole
No Parcel Shelf (in LXi)
No Power Socket
No Fog lamp provision
No Central Lock (in LXi)
Small Boot Space

PS - The views above are purely based on my test drives and limited drive on new Alto 800. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thread Starter #9
Accessories Fitted -

Old* ICE (Pioneer 1 DIN)
Old* Speakers - Oval -(Rear) - Pioneer
New Speakers (6") at Front Door - Pioneer
Body Cover
Ganesha Idol
Steering Cover (Free MGA)
Perfume (Free MGA)
Mats and Mudguards (Free MGA)

*From the old car.

Accessories Planned -

Left ORVM
Door Side Beading
Bumper Corner Protectors
Door Guards
Antennae
Seat Cover
Rear Parcel Shelf (planning for Alto 800 OEM)
12V Power Socket
FM Transmitter (For USB/Memory Card)
Manual Central Lock
Door Visors
Car Vaccum Cleaner

Many of the above I am trying to source from online portals. Any inputs will be of good help.

Thread Starter #13
A small update.

The Cute White is doing well but ran very few kms.

The first service/check up was done in Dec 2013 at ODO reading of around 500 kms. It was done at home only.

We received back a cheque of Rs 2k from the dealer (effective discount of Rs 2K) which has been given by Maruti but dealer is not clear why it was returned.
This is first time in my life , we got cash back of car purchase that too after three months.

Hi,
A New Car need to be run atleast for 5000 kms in a qucik session. Come on, Have a good pleasant drive to check up the entire capability of the car.

Thread Starter #15
Time to update -

2nd service (checkup) was done at nearby MASS. Cost - Zero.
Opted for under body coating - Rs 1950 (at MASS)

Also fitted RD Remote Central Locking for Rs 2600 and a 12V Socket for Rs 280. (in a local accessory shop)

Car has done nearly 1000 km (still waiting for the landmark). [lol]

FE is hovering around 17kmpl in City , no highway rides still.

One pic of our cute whitey at TAI Kolkata meet on 4 May 14.

Attachments

Top Bottom