The Black Beauty - Toyota Innova 2 Years Ownership & Counting

Thread Starter #1
Before you’ll people begin it is a bit lengthy review so if you’ll have the patience do read it you’ll might gain a few knowledge about the beauty. Apologies for writing it late. It’s a simple and sweet review not too technical and not too much story.

The search had begun exactly about 2 years back. My dad usually has this habit of changing vehicles after every 2 years hence he has never purchased a new car as the value of a pre-owned car was almost half the value of a new & the value of a new car would depreciate a lot after 2 years. So all of a sudden on my force and little support from mom we decided to go in for a new car which we could use it for a minimum of 5 years without any major issues.

The Requirements were simple we required a diesel for sure due to rising price of petrol, also the car should be able to seat 5 people comfortably and should not be heavy on maintenance and below the 10 lacks budget.

The following were the Contenders on the list

1) Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZDi

2) Swift Dzire ZDi

3) Hyundai I 20 Sport CRDi

4) Volkswagen Vento Highline TDi

5) Skoda Rapid TDi

Ford, Tata & Fiat were not considered in the list due to heavy running cost, no reliability and very poor after sales.

Took the test drive of all the cars in the list, the outcome was as follows.

1) Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZDi : We took the test drive of the ZDi version at Maruti Vittese. The car had just been launched about a month back. The interiors of the car was similar to that of the Petrol version. The SX4 diesel was using the same engine that was being used by Swift, Swift Dzire but this had been fitted with a Variable Geometry Turbo Charger which maruti liked to call the Super turbo. Now having owned a swift diesel earlier was completely aware of the turbo lag and the responsiveness of the engine. But the Variable Geometry turbo has done its charm here the 200 Nm torque is available much earlier here at 1750 RPM making the car much more peppier to drive and very minimal Turbo Lag. The car was packed with decent fittings but the quality was really not that upto the mark. Anyways loved the car and the OTR of the ZDI was 9.8 Laks Mumbai which was very much within our budget. The negatives for this car were cramped back Seats and Interiors.

2) Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire VDi: Took a test drive at the same showroom it felt exactly the same like driving the old swift diesel and with the New shape dzire around the corner it was not worth the money. Hence dropped this option of the list.

3) Hyundai I 20 Sports CRDi: We took the test drive of the Hyundai I 20 diesel. The test drive version was a white colour Asta model with 5 speed Manual transmission. We had heard of the six speed gear box but the company had discontinued at that time. The interiors of the car were chocolate brown in colour. The test drive car had done about 19k Kms and was only a year old. The moment I started the car the engine noise was really loud, on enquiring the sales exec told me that the car had not been serviced from some time. I drove the car for a stretch of 4 kms with a few open and straight roads. There is a lot of Turbo lag in the car the 210 Nm of Torque is available at almost 2000-2100 RPM which I felt was a bit more than the swift but once the turbo would spool it was a rocket but again a feature which I loved and my family didn’t. The other issue was the engine was too audible on the inside and the Climate control was somehow not able to chill out the interiors as expected. Again on enquiring the sales exec gave me the same reason that the car had not been serviced. The other few drawbacks were the rattling interiors, very uncomfortable for 5 passangers and the OTR which was almost close to a sedan. The OTR of the Sportz version which we were looking out was 8.1 Lacks. The other major issue was that there were rumours of a Fluidic I 20 to be launched which the Showroom was strictly refusing but luckily we dint go for it as the Fluidic version was launched exactly after a month. Now the Fluidic verna had been launched but the 8 month Wait for a diesel and almost 13.75 OTR for the top end was not worth at that point so never considered that option.

4) Volkswagen Vento: This was my favourite among the list as I love german vehicles due to their strong built and quality all thanks to previous ownership of a Skoda Octavia. We went to test drive the vehicle at the downtown showroom. The test drive vehicle was a silver colour highline variant which had clocked around 11k kms. The car was neat and tidy and the interiors were decent but premium quality. The engine when started is audible on the outside but completely unaudible on the inside at decent speeds. The car was the most powerful on the list. The drive was beautiful the power delivery was beautifull not too harsh and not too linear just perfect. Turbo lag was minimal. The interior was pretty tight for a car that had been used as test car and clocked 11 k Kms. There was no rattling at all the, the seats were comfortable, it had the best back seat comfort among the cars in the list. The car had all the features that were required. Me and my family loved the car the OTR price of a highline was 12 Lacks which was above our budget but the Trendline version was available at around 9.5 Lacks and the company was offering a certain give away offers such as free insurance and accessories budget of 40 k which I could use for any accessories from their company. The wait period earlier for the car which was six months had been reduced to 1 month. We had almost decided on the car but thought of test driving the Skoda Rapid which had been just launched.

5) Skoda Rapid TDi: The car was an exact replica of an Volkswagen Vento but somehow not up to that mark. The drive and ride of the car was exactly the same but the interiors somehow did not feel premium as the Vento. The top end version was much cheaper than the Vento. The OTR of the top end was 10.5 Lacks. But somehow due to Skoda after Sales service and previous experience about the Service we dropped the idea of the Skoda Rapid.

So after immense discussions we finalised the Volkswagen Vento Trendline. At the time due to rise in price of petrol and sudden demand for diesel vehicles there was no discount options available for any of the above options at the year end. As we were looking for a car around November end and with no discounts available we decided on buying the car the next year as it did not make sense to buy a 2012 car in December when you can get a 2013 car in January. So we somehow managed to convince the VW people in offering us the same offers for a 2013 manufactured car.

Now comes the turning point of the story, everything had been decided. We had to go to our native for our yearly Puja at the temple which mostly happens in the Month end of November or in December first week. My Fathers cousin had sent his personal innova for our travel within the village and in and around other villages. My family has always loved the innova and as a previous owner of a petrol version we were completely aware of how smooth our journey was going to be. And as thought our journey was really very smooth, the car took the potholes of the village roads really well without causing any discomfort to us inside, now one the thing about the potholes in the village is that they are not small like the ones in our city but here they are so big that the whole car goes inside it and comes out, it is very difficult to find a clean stretch of road within the village. Now we did a lot of journeys in the car and due to the condition of the road I thought the interiors should be rattling but it was not, the interiors were pretty tight.

Then I thought the car must be new so it might not be rattling but I was wrong again the car was 4 years old. Then again I thought that my uncle must be using it for short runs only hence the car must have not clocked much distance but again I was shocked and this time the shock was big the car had clocked 1.4 lacks kilometres. I could not believe what I was seeing and experiencing. Now came the biggest shock of my life which was really hard to digest but was true. The car had done 1.4 Lacks kilometres but was running on everything stock, From suspension to fuel pump the clutch had just been replace after running 1.2 lacks kilometres. Only thing that would be replaced in intervals was the oil and the tyre even the battery was stock as it had just done 4 years. This was really hard to digest but it was the truth. After this journey my mind completely changed my fathers no doubt had changed. A car which could survive such brutal conditions of the village for so long will surely survive a lot more in the city. So we thought of the innova as another option but the OTR of a G4 was around 14.5 lacks and way out of the budget so we thought of going for a used one.

So we were back to square one of buying a used Innova. The plan of the Vento had been dropped. Now finding a used innova is not a joke majority of the ones available In the market were either complete drained out or their meters had been tampered. When we were about to lose hope we saw an advt of a 2007 G4 Black Innova which had clocked 75k Kms completely maintained by the company with full service history and in excellent condition. We saw the car it was in good condition with few here and theres we finalised the deal at 8 lacks. Now we took the delivery on 24th December and were planning on a trip to Bangalore for new year. We decided to go by road so first things first we changed the tyres of the car as we did not want to take any chances on the highway.
Now after 2 major trips to Bangalore & Tamil Nadu and many short distance trips to Pune & Nashik I am writing this review about the black beauty.

Ownership Review

The Car has now clocked approximately 15k Kilometres the first year running being 10k Kilometres and the second being 5k Kilometres as the second year. I Know that’s nothing for an innova but its all because I started working after the first year of purchase due to which all the outstation journeys by roads to long distances were not possible due to less leaves and the major part of the intercity running’s for my office and other works was done on the family Toyota Corolla H1 which was being run on CNG.

Now since we have baught the car according to the earlier records the car had done work only for oil servicing and for tyres. Since we have bought the car we have just replaced the tyres, Clutch assembly, Brake pads and the battery. Other than these nothing has been done to the car. The car has now run approximately 90k kms on the odo from the time we had bought it at 75k kms on the odo.

The car is a delight to drive. The version which we have is a 7 seater which consists of 2 rows of bucket seats and the last row a 3 seater. There is more than enough room available for all the occupants. Even with the driver’s seat fully taken back the person behind him can sit comfortably with enough room for his/her knees.

The Last row seats can easily carry 2 adults in comfort, 3 Can be a bit uncomfortable though. But it can easily carry 6 adults in comfort.

The Air conditioner is very effective but yes on a hot summer day the rear vent might take some time to chill as the car being black absorbs a lot of heat on the roof top & as the air blows from the Vents close to the roof it take a bit of time.. The front vents however chill instantly.

The engine of an Innova is a 2494 cc Common rail diesel engine with a decent specification of 100 Bhp & 200 Nm torque. Now if you see the specification it looks very poor for a 2.5 lit diesel engine when a 1.3 lit Multijet Diesel engine of a SX4 produces almost similar specifications of 90 Bhp & 200 Nm torque. But trust me the power is more than enough for this heavy beast, it’s not too much but again it’s not too less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Re: The Black Beauty- Toyota Innova 2 Years Ownership & Counting

As much as I have driven this car there is no or very minimal turbo lag in the car as the 200 Nm of torque is available at 1400 rpm right up to 3000-3600 rpm. The car redlines at around 4200 RPM. Trust me this car hates to revved. The best zone to drive this car is between 2000-3000 RPM. Now again as the torque is available early it’s not an aggressive torque but a very linear torque, there is no sudden push back to the occupant in the seats. Now there is plenty of torque but again when driving or overtaking you do need to gear down. It’s not like the other diesels where you can pull in the same gear, due to the weight of the vehicle you have to gear down for sudden overtaking. The car is best suited for cruising at speeds of 90-100km/hrs. The car has a top speed of 148 Km/hrs, but the engine feels very strained at those speeds. The engine is clearly audible to the driver at speeds above 100km/hrs but only upto the driver’s seat not to the rear occupants.

The car is pretty stable and feel well planted even up to the top speed of 148 km/hrs but there is one problem which I have seen in a few innovas that I have driven and also heard from a few owners that the cars steering vibrates a lot from the speed of 100-110km/hrs not below 100km/hrs and not above 110 km/hrs. All has been tried Alignment, Balancing & Tyre pressure but it does exist.
It’s one of the best vehicles for highway driving, especially if you are in the back seat of the car. The suspension of the car is soft, it glides smoothly over the small city potholes but at the same time likes to glide like a boat when in major potholes like the ones on village roads. The car has a ground clearance of 176mm which allows it to go smoothly over any bump without scraping even with full load.

About the Fuel economy the car has a tank capacity of 55 liters which has a fuel range of approximately 715-720 Kms maximum with full Air conditioner. The car returns an average of 9- 10 Kms/Lit in city with A/c & 12-13 Kms/Lit on the highway giving an average fuel economy of around 10.5 Kms/Lit.

The one thing I can say about the Toyota’s is that they are the most reliable car brand in India and Toyota Innova one of the most reliable MUV. Now our car has covered approximately 90k Kms but it still runs on the stock suspension, Fuel Pump etc. the only things that have been replaced is the Clutch Assembly which we did when we purchased it, the tyres, the break pad & battery. Rest everything is stock. Even after clocking so many kilometres the car is pretty tight without any rattling.

I can only say one thing after using this if you want a complete trouble free and reliable car for your family then look no further than an Innova.

Complete Mechanical Expenditure

Clutch Assembly+ Labour- Rs 10K
Brakes+labour- Rs 5K
Battery- Rs 6k
Tyres- Rs 20K

Complete Accessories Expenditure

Pioneer Touch Screen HU- Rs 25k
JBL 4*200W Door Speakers- Rs 5k
Pioneer 4 Channel Amplifier- Rs 8 K
MTX 4 Channel Amplifier- Rs 7k
Earthquake 700 W Oval Speakers- Rs 4 K
JBL+Pioneer 1100 W Subwwofer + Box- Rs 10 K

Many more kilometres & Years to go with this beauty will keep you’ll updated on the new news and findings. Thanks to all who have read this review till the end hope this might have provided you’ll at least some knowledge about the beauty.

Heartiest congratulations on your beloved Innova Sandykudva. Innova is known for its immense reliability and even today after being launched some 8 years back in the Indian market, no one has come close to challenge this MPV from Toyota in the real sense. Maintenance and service cost are really low for a car of its value and has become one of its biggest USP's too. Innova has been an absolute favorite for large Indian families as well as the fleet owners and the consistent sales figures ober the years are a big proof for that.

You've written down the review very beautifully. But no review is complete without a few pics of the car. We would love to see some snaps of your Black beast, both exteriors as well as interiors.

Hope you munch many many more miles with your Innova. Drive safe.[drive]

Thats one wonderfully maintained Toyota Innova. But my Innova's odo can easily beat yours. Mine is 250k kms +!!! And to be honest it fares much better than the Xylo (which was also used as second car till last year) which had 60k kms on its odo. The engine still sounds fresh and smooth.

PS: Your car looks fine except those fake bonnet scoops. No offences meant.

congratulations on your innova and yes no doubt about the reliability of japs with over lakhs of kms their engines runs smoothly.
Looks superbly maintained and neat innova you have.
As akash said except for those fake bonnet scoops it looks superb.
But our personal opinion.
Enjoy miles clocking with your machine.

Thread Starter #7
@ Akash: Thanks for the response. No competition here bro surely you have run a lot but my running has dropped down due to work now and parents also prefer to travel by air if i am not around to drive but surely still have a lot of time to spend with the beast and lot more miles to cover. About the condition, this is the way we keep our cars they are not some machines but very much a part of the family and are taken care like an human being. Our cars are always bought within our friend circles only it will be a very rare occasion that some outsider might have bought it. About the bonnet scoops, yes many have different opinions about it but somehow it gives a different look to the car hence have put it. Now if you see the interiors picture you can see the wood finish on the dash and on the steering wheel now being a G4 variant it doesn't come with wood finish, this is not available in the accessories markets outside yes there are graphics but stickers these are original pieces for the AC vents, door panels & the steering wheel. The company is charging 25k for those but i got it from Bangkok for 5 k.
@ Vijay: Thanks for your response also bro. Yes the Japs can surely be trusted on reliability in fact the Toyota even more than the honda i suppose. The car even if battered in the worst possible ways would stand strong against all those tortures. Now my car i dont batter but my uncles innova which i had given example of in my review believe me i have seen the battering the car has gone the roads were so horrible that i think no other car would survive its torture but after the days run next morning the car would start silently without any squeak or rattle. Now those were just the 5 days which i saw but the car has been running on the same roads for about 4 years, you can imagine the durability from that.

Again thanks both of you'll for the positive responses hope i didn't bore you'll with the over explanations.

Yes the Japs can surely be trusted on reliability in fact the Toyota even more than the honda i suppose.
Agreed. I must confess that since our Innova is 90% chauffeur driven, it does get abused. Moreover, since past few months, it has been doing 150kms of under construction highway runs twice or thrice a week and still it has maintained a squeak free character till date. The only negative of this car is the noisy engine at 3digit speeds. Nothing else.

BTW do post more pics of your car and keep this updated.

Ownership Review

The Car has now clocked approximately 15k Kilometres the first year running being 10k Kilometres and the second being 5k Kilometres as the second year. I Know that’s nothing for an innova but its all because I started working after the first year of purchase due to which all the outstation journeys by roads to long distances were not possible due to less leaves and the major part of the intercity running’s for my office and other works was done on the family Toyota Corolla H1 which was being run on CNG.
Hi,

Nice review..My dad bought a innova (diesel) sometime around 2007 and we still own it..I love this vehicle and we did couple of highway drives with 7 people on board. I liked the build of innova and being a diesel it had very minimal turbo lag and I felt no difference in the engine response with or without the A/C. Its a great family vehicle.

Thread Starter #11
@ Akash: You wont be getting those squeaks that easily its built tough not as tough as germans or americans but yes they will surely take the abuse from the indian roads. About the run, one of my dads freind is in coustruction line providing sand to builders. His car was used aprox 4 lacs km in 4 years it seems the oil of the car had never cooled as the car was running everyday. Even after running so much no issues or squeaks he just replaced his car seeing the kilometers otherwise no issues he bought an innova again and his old one fetched a very good price compared to its run. Yes agreed with you the triple digit figures do not suit this car its good for cruising upto 90-100. It is capable but not worth straining it. Thats one place where the innova has a shortcoming but again not that bad compared to it competitors.

@ Music_swift : Thanks for the appreciation. That is the reason we opted for an CNG car for our city runs and not diesel so that all the external runs and 7 seater runs can be done by the innova. If two diesels are there in the house than we will always opt for the smaller one for all runs unless there are more people or there are 2 or more users in the family.

@Venky: Thanks for the appreciation bro. Yes there is very minimal or i can say no turbo lag at all as the torque is available at 1400 RPM which i according to my knowledge no other MUV or car or a selected few have, usually torque is available to others at around 1750 RPM on a min so they face slight turbo lag. Agree with you there is no change in the engine response with or without AC and with full load. The Specs on paper might look very less but do the required job with perfection.

Absolutely not mate, its the passion we all share and are being over here so no reasons to get bored man.
As akash said do share some more pictures of your ride.
Are those wodden inserts done by the previous owner?

Thread Starter #13
@Vijay : Surely will post some new pics on Sunday. The Wooden inserts have been done by me. The car i received was in pure stock condition will give you a list of all the upgrades with the pictures on sunday a bit busy this week.

@Vijay : Surely will post some new pics on Sunday. The Wooden inserts have been done by me. The car i received was in pure stock condition will give you a list of all the upgrades with the pictures on sunday a bit busy this week.
The wooden inserts are done neatly..great work..It definitely enhances the looks..

Thread Starter #15
@ Venky: Those are direct replace panels they are not a cover you just remove the stock and replace it with this. Got it from Bangkok. The market out there is worth to see. You will get each and every accessory and modifications kit for any Toyota & Honda. I dont know about the rest of the brands. But seriously worth it. There were many more thing available but did not know what all to buy so just got this and a Head unit from pioneer. I dont remeber the name of the place but worth it.

Top Bottom