Maruti 800 Type-II (1998) – 15.5 Years and Many More To Go

Thread Starter #1
It was a cold morning of February 1998(8th to be precise) when the Milky White Maruti 800 rolled into our garage. I started driving her since 3months ago so the ownership details will cover mostly the last 3months.

It was the facelifted model of the Type I bought from Naharlagun, Arunachal Pradesh as the taxes were lower there at that time compared to Assam(our resident place), hence at a lower price @2.05 Lakhs.

I was at 8th Standard and you can say that it maybe the moment when the Automobile bug bit me. My Dad learnt how to drive from a local driver and I used to watch and absorb everything from the back seat. Dad used her for Office and other errands including dropping me and my sis to School and Tutions. All services were done at local garages as the nearest ASS was a bit far and time was also a constraint. The car was performing very well as any M800 would. I also learnt to drive on this very car.

Fast forward to two years ago when another car came to our garage and its the Italian beauty Fiat Linea. Dad hardly used to drive the Linea and she was used only for long drives which happened only once or twice a year. So she clocked only about 3k kms in two years.

Fast forward to another 3 months ago when I brought the M800 to my working place Dibrugarh (80kms from home, Digboi).

Now, I planned out a list of things to do on the M800. First the 15yrs old wiper blades were changed for Hella ones @Rs.320/- and then it was time for an extensive servicing of the mechanical parts. Left her at a local garage for all lube/oil changing and suspension, engine, wheel bearings checking. Engine oil, transmission oil and brake fluid changed and coolant replaced. Holes found on the radiator top were plugged with M-Seal. Damaged wheel bearings and rear suspension were changed too including brake shoes all around and the engine was tuned for fuel economy.

A afterservice drive was done with the mechanic and the car was slightly better to drive than before. As many rattles were still there from the dashboard and the doors, he told me to drop by another day as they were about to call it a day. Overall cost for the service was about INR 10.5k (6k for parts and rest were labour charges) which I felt to be a little on the higher side but paid nevertheless.

Servicing done and the next step was to accessorise her up a bit. So out went the old and now non-functional tape cassette player and speakers and in came a simple non-branded head unit and Pioneer speakers including a cig lighter socket and a new horn, all for INR 3k without any warranty.
The very next day on the way to Office, my friend tried the cig lighter and the head unit shorted. Took her to the accessories dealer and he found the unit to be beyond repair. I was angry but there was no option left other than replace as there was no warranty. So replaced it with a Xenos one which came with 1yr warranty and extra switch and fuse installed for just in case.

Next the headlamp bulbs were replaced with 90/100W bosch bulbs and Hella wiring harness brought from ebay totalling to Rs.1350/-. Night drivability was far better thereafter.

After one month or so, the brake started to give trouble—there was much play of the pedal and then suddenly they get applied. Booked a date at the ASS and after a test drive the mechanic told the master cylinder is defective. Asked to change it and tend the vibrations of the dash board and doors.

The master cylinder was changed and door bolts tightened and some packing was applied to the steering column to reduce vibrations. The brake feel was as good as new and no sound from the doors however there was no reduction of dashboard vibes. Total cost that day was INR 1720/-.

For Vishwakarma Puja, new seat covers, steering wheel cover and grass mats of matching colours were fitted thus giving a new look to the interiors.
The car was giving a steady fuel economy of 16-17kmpl which I felt is okish given the driving conditions and as its the carb version.

The dashboard vibes were beginning to bother me like never before and took her to the local garage day before yesterday once again. The mechanic immediately diagnosed it to be old/worn out Engine mounts and I asked him to proceed for changing them. After changing he asked me to TD her and to my surprise the vibes were gone almost 99%. Paid 1500/- for the service and a Rs.100 tip to the mechanic and drove off feeling very elated.

On my way Home, the car just stalled on the way and refused to start. Pushed her to the roadside and popped the hood to find the starter wire from the battery smoking. Luckily there was a garage nearby and brought a mechanic to inspect the prob. He removed the burnt part of the wire and fitted black tape over it and asked me to start her. I did but there was no ignition. He then removed the air filter box and checked the fuel lines to the carburettor. Upon starting, the fuel was pumping properly so he deduced the prob to be a chocked carb and he was right. He cleaned the carb and the car started and I was happy. Paid Rs.150/- for the job and drove her to the washing and polishing wallah. Complete washing and polishing inside out cost me Rs.400/- and the result was satisfactory.

The car now drives and feels as new and I am going to keep her with me as long as I can.

Next in line is a new set of tires which will set me back by some odd 11k or so. The current tires are 145/70 for the front and non radial standard issue OEM Ceat tires at the rear which are of a slightly higher profile and a bit narrower.

Please suggest me the correct size keeping fuel economy and ride comfort at top and rim size remaining the same 12”.

Also I am planning to go for a underbody coating which was quoted at Rs.1400/- at a later date.

Other accessories fitted are a 16smd led light for the door light(which now got a loose connection somewhere and keeps on blinking when driving over rough surfaces), a 3 way cig lighter socket splitter(includes a usb charging port), digital voltmeter fitting into the cig lighter socket and three Transformers emblems, all from ebay.com.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to know you are fixing issues and using this lovely car instead of trading it for something newer. There is no direct competitor / easy replacement for our lovely 800. No car is as simple as an 800.

Suggestions:
1. Add New tail lamps (Type 2 or Type 3)
2. Brake booster - if not added so far will cost about 3.5K and an absolute must.
3. Slightly reduce the length of the gear lever (reduce it by 2inches)
4. New gear knob (if not done so far) - 65/- MGP
5. Add some aluminium foil to the reflector of fender indicator and cabin lamp (around the bulb, remove the outer glass to do so.
6. Tyre size - The best size would be 155/70 - mileage drop will be minimal and grip will be better than the usual 145 section. Skip the 80profile tyres (example 145/80 R12) if you drive a lot on Ghat section type roads. The sidewall flexing will be more on 80 profile tyres, however it increases ground clearance.

7. Carb issues:
New Mikuni carburator will cost you 4000/- approx, existing carb overhaul with new jets, gaskets and secondary valve cleaning and tuning will cost you max about - 800/-

8. Starting car in cold mornings/ after a long gap - Turn the key to the ignition slot and press the throttle pedal about 5 times, then crank, it will start without a fuss.

9. If your car has leaf suspension in the rear - just replace the gas dampers - 500/- (for a pair - Acdelco brand), this will reduce the up & down bouncing on even roads.

10. Get the rims painted - 400/- Silver or get the rims painted in black and add simple new silver coloured wheel caps - 800/-

11. Check if the 10size screws on the dashboard corners are tight enough, tie any lose hanging wires below the dashboard (especially pedal area).

12. Always carry extra fuses for the horn, indicator etc 10Amps and 5Amps.

13. Replace the dynamo belt (if you see any cracks on them) - 150/- approx

14. Carry a 55/60W bulb as a spare, in case you face battery draining issue
on any dark night, you can simply remove the 100/90W bulbs and use only one 55/60W to reach a garage/ some safe place.

15. Watch out for the front two bottom corners of the windshield to see any water leakage (rubber beeding age issue).

16. PLEASE UPLOAD MORE PICS [:D] (preferably, the underbody, engine bay and interiors.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 800 club Prakritij.
Its good to know that you have done all the proper servicing and your car is running fine.

@ Varun, Maruti 800 was face lifted with type 2 dash and body type in the year 1998.

@ Prakritij, its nice to see your love for your car. Loving a car for 15 years is really great these days. Most of the people like me loves their car and bikes hardly for 5 years or so.

We have a Maruti 800 2002-2003 model and its 10 years now. Like other said truly there have NO competitors beside Maruti 800. We use our car less may be so far 25k km and the maintenance cost is almost NIL for this car. Yearly hardly we spend 4-5k for maintenance even if any parts damaged, otherwise not. Its truly a genius car and still its running like new.

Keep loving your car.

@ Prakritij, Good to see a thread on M800. I still remember back sometime in early 1990s when I dad first bought the white M800 and again after 6 years, he sold the white one and bought a new grey M800.
Our family had some memorable moments driving the car to Ooty, Thirupathi, kodai etc..I always have a nostalgic feel whenever I see this car on the road.

Thread Starter #8
Re: Maruti 800 Type-II (1998) – 15.5 Years and Many More To Go

Happy to know you are fixing issues and using this lovely car instead of trading it for something newer. There is no direct competitor / easy replacement for our lovely 800. No car is as simple as an 800.

Suggestions:
1. Add New tail lamps (Type 2 or Type 3)
Tail lamps are ok for now. will change at a later stage and will stick to Type 2 only for the stock look
2. Brake booster - if not added so far will cost about 3.5K and an absolute must.
Will install the booster. any specific brand? is it there in Type 3?
3. Slightly reduce the length of the gear lever (reduce it by 2inches)
Just cutting and welding back will do the job right?
4. New gear knob (if not done so far) - 65/- MGP
Will certainly go for it
5. Add some aluminium foil to the reflector of fender indicator and cabin lamp (around the bulb, remove the outer glass to do so.
I changed the cabin lamp to a 16smd led one, will try the aluminium too but how do I open the pilot lamp cover as I want some aluminium foil there too?
6. Tyre size - The best size would be 155/70 - mileage drop will be minimal and grip will be better than the usual 145 section. Skip the 80profile tyres (example 145/80 R12) if you drive a lot on Ghat section type roads. The sidewall flexing will be more on 80 profile tyres, however it increases ground clearance.
Will try to find 155/70 section tires.

7. Carb issues:
New Mikuni carburator will cost you 4000/- approx, existing carb overhaul with new jets, gaskets and secondary valve cleaning and tuning will cost you max about - 800/-
As you suggested I will go for carb overhauling and cleaning the Petrol tank.
8. Starting car in cold mornings/ after a long gap - Turn the key to the ignition slot and press the throttle pedal about 5 times, then crank, it will start without a fuss.
I do it whenever she doesn't start at the first crank
9. If your car has leaf suspension in the rear - just replace the gas dampers - 500/- (for a pair - Acdelco brand), this will reduce the up & down bouncing on even roads.
I do have single leaf suspension at the rear. And the dampers were replaced 3months back
10. Get the rims painted - 400/- Silver or get the rims painted in black and add simple new silver coloured wheel caps - 800/-
Thank you for the idea, will go for black[;)]
11. Check if the 10size screws on the dashboard corners are tight enough, tie any lose hanging wires below the dashboard (especially pedal area).
Got to check them. All wires are tied.
12. Always carry extra fuses for the horn, indicator etc 10Amps and 5Amps.
Will do
13. Replace the dynamo belt (if you see any cracks on them) - 150/- approx

The belt is ok I think. will check it again.
14. Carry a 55/60W bulb as a spare, in case you face battery draining issue
on any dark night, you can simply remove the 100/90W bulbs and use only one 55/60W to reach a garage/ some safe place.
I carry the replaced bulbs(both 55/60W) always.
15. Watch out for the front two bottom corners of the windshield to see any water leakage (rubber beeding age issue).
Got to see to it carefully but haven't noticed yet.
16. PLEASE UPLOAD MORE PICS [:D] (preferably, the underbody, engine bay and interiors.
Coming soon

Good review bro.800 is one of the lovely car for beginners.
Hi Prakritij, Welcome to the 800 club at TAI.

Your car really looks neat for its age. Is it type 2 or type 1 converted.
But any way looks good.
Welcome to the 800 club Prakritij.
Its good to know that you have done all the proper servicing and your car is running fine.

@ Varun, Maruti 800 was face lifted with type 2 dash and body type in the year 1998.
@ Prakritij, Good to see a thread on M800. I still remember back sometime in early 1990s when I dad first bought the white M800 and again after 6 years, he sold the white one and bought a new grey M800.
Our family had some memorable moments driving the car to Ooty, Thirupathi, kodai etc..I always have a nostalgic feel whenever I see this car on the road.
Thank You all

Thinking of purchasing 4mm chrome adhisive strip for some mild interior makeover[;)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Re: Brake booster info

Great. Do post pics once you are done. Are you planning to take some help or is it going to be a DIU.
Simple DIY job. I have not purchased the chrome strip yet. it comes with adhesive on one side so just cut and paste job[:D]
Check this page: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=chrome+strip+4mm&_sop=15
Thank you bro. I just changed the master cylinder and the brakes are ok now. but I find the assisted brakes of other cars better. will fitting brake boosters will give similar braking performance and feel?

Last edited:
well maintained ride my friend.Just a small suggestion put a small chrome 800 badge on the back of the car as that empty space is not looking cool.it will just cost 10 to 20 rs...[:)]

Adding brake booster means less force needs to be applied on the brake pedal. Yes it would be almost as good as other assisted cars like Zen/Esteem. However our 800 does take some time to generate enough vacuum, so at low speeds brake booster takes more time to creat vacuum.

Thread Starter #15
Re: Maruti 800 Type-II (1998) – 15.5 Years and Many More To Go

well maintained ride my friend.Just a small suggestion put a small chrome 800 badge on the back of the car as that empty space is not looking cool.it will just cost 10 to 20 rs...[:)]
I have been searching for them. is it available at MGP stores?
well done bro, very nice review.please post some interior pictures too.[clap]
Thank you bro. I have installed interior decoration lights behind the dashboard and under the front seats but not able to take a pic due to bad quality low light photos of my cam.
Adding brake booster means less force needs to be applied on the brake pedal. Yes it would be almost as good as other assisted cars like Zen/Esteem. However our 800 does take some time to generate enough vacuum, so at low speeds brake booster takes more time to creat vacuum.
Will definitely go for it once I have some cash[:)] Thanks man.

Top Bottom