Tata Safari 2.2 VTT - Black 25,000 Kms Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi Team,

Am a new guy into TAI community.Thought of joining and writing in this forum about my ownership experiences for quite a long time, but the packed schedule and some part of laziness left me only to act in read only mode [:)].

Apologies for the thread description if its not up to good standards...as this is my first writing experience in a public forum.

Way back in 2008, as my family needed a four wheeler to take around places bought a used Santro 2003 XG model. It is my first four wheeler and its truly a wonderful experience. Used it till July 2011 until an used ford fiesta diesel replaced my Santro. The ownership experience with Santro is really a memorable one, as i took it for multiple long drives without any breakdowns to the extent of a single trip with 1300km in 2days. When the petrol prices skyrocketed and my monthly usage exceeding 1500kms, was pushed to move to a diesel vehicle. Sold it to my close friend who still owns it with the vehicle ownership remaining in my name.

Found a used car dealer and after bargaining with the customer directly got a used ford fiesta diesel - ZXI - 80000kms driven. Fiesta ownership experience has been a bit of mixed feelings as i have driven it for around 25000kms till this January.As i said the feelings are mixed, had some eventful trips with that and also spent almost the amount of total fuel for maintenance.Brand new yokohama tyres, all the service and preventive maintenance parts replacement @ 100000 KMS just done when i was frequently disturbed after seeing tata safari on the road. The daily tea breaks in the evening with collegues involved lot of discussions about owning a safari and the need to sell the fiesta after spending so much into it.

There was a war between heart and mind for almost 2 months. Then comes the day i decided and convinced myself to sell the fiesta and look for a used safari in the budget of around 4.5 lacs + or - as i dont have any funding to go for higher budget. The idea is to replace the fiesta with safari with minimal investment.Searched multiple forums about owning a tata safari and also the listed safari's available in the market.

Found a potential buyer for my fiesta and got the advance.Paralelly searched multiple used car portals, dealers, individuals in person for my replacement. Almost all the safari's are 3.0 dicor ones and not the latest 2.2 vtt with minimum mileage of 70000kms.Also i was particular about black colour with 2.2 vtt. Finally found out a vehicle listed in one of the portals, Tata safari dicor 2.2vtt 2009 model with 7500km on the odo but the quoted price is 6.6 lac. The price listed is way too high for me as well as the market considering the resale value of tata safari.Thought of giving a shot of the vehicle in person just to check the vehicle conditon and in no idea to get into the negotiation.

Called up the dealer for in person visit and to my luck the vehicle is immediately available for test drive as it is parked at the dealers place.Within 30mins i reached the place and am really amazed to see the vehicle. Its like brand new without any scratch and the look and feel of the vehicle inside out defended the 7500km mileage.Checked with the dealer on the low mileage reason of the vehicle,nearly 4 year old vehicle driven only for 7k odd kms.As per the dealer the vehicle was used sparingly for a few long drives alone by the owner.Took a test drive, its entirely a different experience after driving a sedan and a hatch back.It felt like sitting over a elephant but the engine refinement, the commanding view, NVH levels brought a smile on my face.The interiors also looked almost untouched and this created a confusion on stretching my budget and try to close the deal.Checked the genuinity of the mileage using the known sources in authorized service center and the mileage numbers are correct.

Started the negotiations with the owner in phone and after couple of sessions closed the deal at 5.65 lacs(almost a lac from the quoted price). Planned and executed in a way that fiesta's departure and the safari's arrival happen in the same day. Paid 5.6lacs to owner + brokerage + new art leather seat covers + comprehensive insurance totalling 6 lacs.So got a almost new safari 2.2 VTT EX for nearly half the onroad price.

Its almost 10 months into the trouble free ownership, completed 25000 kms. After checking the service history, did a service at 14000kms replacing all the
fluids.Service cost came around 13.5K. Now after doing multiple long drives in all types of roads, got a hit in the suspension setup. Sent to authorised workshop for checkup and found many of suspension components need a overhaul and the cost in the range of 12K+. Brought the vehicle back from the garage and took it to a know local garage and replaced the centre link rod, bushes and centre arm for around 8K. Now the suspension is back to normal.

Trips covered till now:

Chennai to kutralam
CHennai to coorg
Chennai to tirumala
Chennai to vellore (multiple times)
Chennai to Shirdi (Actually taken by my uncle)

My opinion on likes and dislikes of the vehicle:

Tank like built.
Ability to take on any roads.
Space and Comfort driving.
Respect from other vehicles.

Dislikes:
After 18000kms, rattles all over.
Mileage of 10.5 city & 13 highway (Compared to fiesta's 16/20 km/l breakup)
Turning radius (Reduced a little by the alignment guy)

Attached recent image of the car....

CAM00340.jpg

Last edited:
Hari: Congrats for your Safari[clap]

It looks Grand in Black[clap]

You mentioned that you visited Vellore Multiple times, is Vellore is your hometown? or Golden temple visit?

BTW, Millions of Happy Miles ahead[cheers]

Thread Starter #4
@appu

Thanks.my native is kannamangalam, 20 kms from the city.atleast I made 5-6 trips in the last 9 months.Do you belong to vellore city or nearby?

@appu

Thanks.my native is kannamangalam, 20 kms from the city.atleast I made 5-6 trips in the last 9 months.Do you belong to vellore city or nearby?
My hometown is Vellore(Lakshmi theater stopping) and I completed my degree at GTEC.

let me know when you come to Vellore,we will have a small meet over there.

I'm visiting Vellore on every weekends;-)

Thread Starter #6
My hometown is Vellore(Lakshmi theater stopping) and I completed my degree at GTEC.

let me know when you come to Vellore,we will have a small meet over there.

I'm visiting Vellore on every weekends;-)

Definitely appu, mostly I used to take the arcot route to reach my native.will inform you in prior if I visit vellore.

Hi Hari.d,
Welcome to TAI. Good write up about your experiences with your cars.
The front Fog lamps will be a good looking one for this kind of SUV's.Add some more images of interiors and exteriors too.

Welcome to TAI. Safari has been my dream car from long. It is the king of the road. It was the only big guy before the others arrived in the recent times. Safari and black is the perfect combo.
Thnx for sharing ur experience.

@ hari.d
Welcome aboard to both TAI and the SUV club. Safari looks at its best in Black.
A simple polish work by a professional would make your beast even look better.

Thread Starter #14
@ hari.d
Welcome aboard to both TAI and the SUV club. Safari looks at its best in Black.
A simple polish work by a professional would make your beast even look better.

Thank you. I have turtle wax and coido polisher with me.used to do waxing every month but missed in the last couple of months.[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #15
Guyz,

Off late i see my ac blower is not working as expected, Now the blower speed feels like 1 and in 1 there is very negligible air blowing out.

Any idea what it could be, as the AC gas is refilled before shirdi trip last month.

Top Bottom