In my heart I always wanted to buy a car but mind had avoided it since I hate EMIs and Mumbai had an adequate public transport system along with crazy traffic and shortage of parking spaces all which helped my mind in deciding against buying a car. However in June when me and my wife were going for a movie on our bike it started raining mid way and we almost missed the movie. We were already discussing about having a car and this trigger somehow proved to be the tipping point.
So I started my research. As monthly running was less than 500 kms, only Petrol cars were considered. Started reading on a few forums including this one. Budget was fixed at around 6 lacs OTR. Did consider the following cars before taking a decision Honda Brio
- Darling of auto forums, unanimous agreement on the peppiness of the engine and I loved the looks of the car. Yes, I loved the whole glass back and it looked like a small sports car. It was on the top of the list. OTR price for the mid version was 5.5 - 5.7 lacs in Mumbai within budget, but the small boot was always a concern in the back of my mind. It was going to be my only car. Ford Figo
- Like the refreshed version of the Figo, good colours, nice looks within budget, good boot space. and fully loaded top end version. However other than the owners it was not a popular car amongst experts and has very very low resale value.So called Expert Friends suggested that diesel Figo is good, petrol is to be avoided etc etc. It was second in line. Ford Ecosport
- Was following the release dates and everything, but after the release the waiting period of 6 months was just too much and could afford only the base petrol version.
Did not consider the Swift as it is too common, did not like the Ritz looks. Fiat Punto, VW Polo seemed a bit expensive.
Then came Test Drives. Decided to take the TD of the Brio First as Solitaire Honda was close to my home at walking distance. Was a bit hesitant about TD as I had not driven a car for around 3 years, I earlier had a used Wagon R which I had driven for about 6 months. However went to the showroom and saw the Brio and loved it, Liked the two tone finish Brown and beige, on the VX version and safety features. Did a small TD and liked the engine refinement. The S version was 5.7 lacs OTR and VX was around 6.25 lacs OTR. Did not like the S version. Almost decided to book the Honda Brio VX MT. However decided to wait for 2-3 days check with other dealers offers before booking.
On the weekend saw the fully loaded offer on the VW Polo 3 year free insurance, extended warranty, etc etc. Thought about doing a TD of the Polo. Went to VW Downtown near my office with an expert friend and saw the Polo, really liked the build quality, interiors looked premium. took TD of the highline SR model. Loved the slotted gearshifts. Engine noise was audible at low RPMs but at high RPMS engine was very smooth. Enquired about the Highline model and the price was around 6.85 OTR with the discounts with next 2 years insurance free and other freebies under the fully loaded offer.
Then started the comparision the final shootout of Brio Vs Polo. Cost of Polo was about 60000 more than the Brio and 85000 more than my budget, but it scored over the Brio in the following things. Also I had decided on the top end of either car due to the safety features (ABS
1. Huge boot space
2. Rear parking sensors, Audio system with CD player (maybe I will never play a CD, but there should be an option at least in the top end), Bluetooth connectivity. Brio has a very basic audio system even in VX
3. Premium chrome finish on the dashboard gear lever, leather finish on gear lever, hand brake. Leather covered steering handle.
4. Small things I liked, did not check in the brio - Illuminated power windows lock etc button. Anti-pinch feature in the power windows
Hence decide to book the Polo Highline. Me and wife decided on either Red or Black. Check with VW downtown and colors were not available for ready delivery and said red/black will take 1 month. Checked with all dealers and all said the same thing. Hence decided to book with VW downtown with whom I had done TD. Booked on around 15th August with Rs 50,000 and dealer promised delivery by 9th Sept (Ganpati). Going by what I had read on forums I thought when he says 9th Spet I will get delivery by 30th Sept.
However kept following up with the dealer and the got the delivery of the car 2 days earlier than promised on 7th Sept. Below are the few pics of the car a day before the delivery.