Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX (O) VTVT Black: 7 Months & 7000 Kms Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

Choice
Verna / Vento / City

Vento
For: German engineering, Build Quality, Executive design, and Features
Against: Uncomfortable driving position (6’1”), Plastic feel of dash, less headroom

City
For: Liked it for many years, VMT, Driving Comfort, and Performance
Against: Needs facelift or new age design, Ground Clearance, Not exciting interiors

Verna
For: Fluidic design, driving comfort, classy interiors except wooden finish, features
Against: Suspension, Ground Clearance, Lighting, Delicate bumper and fog lamps

My priority: Comfort, Performance, Features

I decided to buy Verna based on my priorities. Now, the question I had in my mind then was “Petrol / Diesel?”. Majority of my commute will be in the city and with very occasional long drives. Basically, not more than 1000 Km a month. Obvious calculations were pushing me towards buying petrol car.
And, also long life of Petrol engine than a Diesel engine. Not that diesel engines are inferior. But, heard that cabin noise increases over the time.
On the other hand, Diesel engine is turbo charged, and Hyundai Petrol engine is not. Came to know about Linea TJet couple of months later but it was not on my buying list. Heard that it is an awesome engine. Loved the performance of Turbo charged 1.6 Diesel engine which felt in 3rd gear.
Since my overall usage is not exceeding 1000km a month, felt no point in going for Diesel engine.

Selected the SX(O) version as I felt the options given were worth. Push Start Button, Lock/Unlock buttons on Door Handles, and the most important 6 Airbags.
Loan was from Kotak Mahindra. Processing was fast and Delivery was super quick (5 days). Of course, no waiting for Petrol engines.

Driving Experience
This is the first car in my family. But, I driven many of my friends’ cars in the past 10 years.

Oh boy, my initial driving feelings were without a doubt FANTASTIC. Car was super comfortable provided no big potholes on the road. I never revved the engine beyond 2K RPM till the ODO clocked 3000 KM.

Some say, it is not necessary to RUN-IN the new engines and they are already delivered having completed RUN-IN at factory. But, I didn’t want to take any chance. I decided to wait till the ODO reach 3000 mark. Till that time, I enjoyed driving the vehicle understanding the maneuverability etc.

I finished 3000KM in around 2 months. After that, I could get the confidence to get the monster out of the machine. The car just gives a woof feeling in 3rd gear after 3500 RPM. Engine noise is Ok. Certainly lower than the other cars in the same segment.
Driven car at 170KMPH just once on an empty road. The car felt stable in the corners around 140Kmph but not after that. Reason is obvious that every Verna owner is aware. The Suspension. [roll]
I normally drive at 80-120Kmph on highways where I am comfortable with my car.

I felt the suspension is just too soft which is already a constant cribbing of all Verna owners. I joined them too. Though there were TSBs released by Hyundai I don’t think there is no noticeable change in the suspension. Not sure about the latest face-listed Verna. When I visited showroom I observed a noticeable height increase. (Especially the gap between rear tyre and the body). May be, the new owners can comment on that.

One should get used to the boat like feel of the car at speeds beyond 100kmph. On the other side, crossing a speed hump (Bangalore Standard) should be done very carefully to avoid cardiac attacks by the sudden dragging noise of underbody. Car just goes down too much. I felt it really annoying. Why Hyundai gave such a soft suspension to their number 1 sedan? I have no idea.
And, the fog lamps!! They are too delicate like a paper joint. SA has no answer for this as usual. They just simply say “This is normal” for whatever we ask for. [frustration]

Fuel efficiency is around 12-13kmpl in City and 17-18kmpl on highways. For me, this is more than satisfactory. I have no complaints on FE. These figures were constant and I tested them based on the iPhone apps using tankful method.

All in all, I love the comfort and performance of Petrol Verna.

Posting the pics of my car, the black beauty.[;)]

Last edited:
Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX (O) VTVT Black 2013 - 7 months & 7000 KM Ownership revie

Hi Venky,

I’m amaze to see your car shines like mirror and I really liked that, hope you can hold that for long. However personally I don’t like black color in verna/sedan cars but yours looks perfect in that shine. Try to keep that shine. And of course nice shots.

Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX (O) VTVT Black 2013 - 7 months & 7000 KM Ownership revie

Hey Venky,

Congratulations for buying best looking car in the segment !! Black looks absolutely fantastic and photography is top notch [clap] Have you done any tefloan coating or used any shining technique? [lol]
Please update the thread regularly.Wish you happy miles!

have they stuck that vtvt badge on yours by mistake? 17-18km/l on highways what to you run it on jet turbine fuel:suspect: impressive.
I suppose these were pictures right after you got the car[;)]
well add more stuff about the car, i see the petrol owners group increasing day by day. Two years back it was just me allhyundai cars and bensam who later sold it due to bad fe. The crdi owners were more.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

i don't know what to say :P in this 7 months you got to know each and everything about the car.

just a heads up , your 1st service will cost you just 1000-1100 rupees [cheers] [:D]

that is if you opt for their engine oil. But still pretty cheap i remember shelling out round 2000-3000 for my aveo.

Thread Starter #7

Hey Venky,

Congratulations for buying best looking car in the segment !! Black looks absolutely fantastic and photography is top notch [clap] Have you done any tefloan coating or used any shining technique? [lol]
Please update the thread regularly.Wish you happy miles!
Thanks Sagar. Not teflon but I avoid washing the car too often. I generally take it for was once in two weeks. And, I don't even wipe the car if the dust accumulates after rain shower. I just don't touch it to avoid paint sealant corruption and scratches. Occasionally, I apply meguiars car wax myself if I have time and strength. [:)] And in pics car was washed but not waxed.

Thread Starter #8

have they stuck that vtvt badge on yours by mistake? 17-18km/l on highways what to you run it on jet turbine fuel:suspect: impressive.
I suppose these were pictures right after you got the car[;)]
well add more stuff about the car, i see the petrol owners group increasing day by day. Two years back it was just me allhyundai cars and bensam who later sold it due to bad fe. The crdi owners were more.
Hey Nick, I practiced being light footed once the engine crosses 2.5K RPM and that may be the reason to get a good highway mileage or may be the run-in. And the pics were requested by Mr. allhyundaicars and were taken just yesterday along with my friend's Elantra. [:)]
I also feel happy to see many Petrol heads on the road and in the forum.

Thread Starter #9

i don't know what to say :P in this 7 months you got to know each and everything about the car.

just a heads up , your 1st service will cost you just 1000-1100 rupees [cheers] [:D]
[:D] Thanks, first service was over during first month of the purchase and service center did not charge anything.

no what he meant was your 10k service. I did mine at 5000km however changed to synth got my own oil they only charged me 100 bucks for oil filter.

Thread Starter #11

no what he meant was your 10k service. I did mine at 5000km however changed to synth got my own oil they only charged me 100 bucks for oil filter.
Which synthetic oil does your car runs on?

for now i have been checking different brands to see which feels better here's my analysis

Mobil1 0w40 api-sn
Smooth, very less noise or vibrations from engine, pick up great fe been good, when drained at 11k km it was light golden brown could've gone longer but due to warranties had to change. Only issue was some slight valve clicking noise during cold starts.

Total quart synthetic 5w40 api-sn
Smooth, slight vibrations, slightly less responsive, no valve clicking noise, when drained at 10500km it was dark golden brown.

Shell helix ultra 5w40
Smooth, no vibrations, resposiveness as total quartz, slight valve clicking noise on cold starts, fe gone slightly low. Golden brown at 5000km.

Next oil change i would try sourcing some quaker state 5w30 or mobil5w30 which is packed for audi here in india. or else if no luck then mobil1 0w40 i found its performance top notch and now that my 2 year warranty is done with i wiil try sourcing some better oil filters and increasing drain intervals. To maybe once a year/15,000km other wise in a year i change oils twice with my kind of usage

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Yeah I meant the second service [:D]

And guys do you find a slight jerk while accelerating hard[confused] i'm getting this jerk from the very beginning.

If i accelerate hard from 1200 rpms yes otherwise no. Its like theengine is working hard gives up and then gets a rocket life.

Yeah I meant the second service [:D]

And guys do you find a slight jerk while accelerating hard[confused] i'm getting this jerk from the very beginning.
For me, it's not a jerk but a "lag" as if the engine is not even trying to match the accelarator. It is only after few seconds, the engine responds. This is from beginning as well.

Top Bottom