My Pearl White Duster: 85 PS RXL(O) Ownership Review (14,000 Kms / 9 Months)

Thread Starter #1
My Pearl White BULL DOG : Duster 85PS RXL(O) Ownership Review (14,000 Kms / 9 Months)

I started my search for a 4 wheeler during April 2012. I was using a Maruti Esteem (Gas / Petrol) and I was looking for a different one other than a sedan. To be honest, I didnt go for any test drives of all the cars in the market. Shortlisted Ertiga / Storme / Duster based on my requirement. By that time Ertiga was launched and I got impressed with the package it was offering. Since there was no news about the Storme / Duster launch dates, I booked a white Ertiga VXi (ABS) @Popular, Muvattupuzha, Kerala during 1st week of May with the delivery expectation of 1.5 - 2 months. But it didnt materialize either because of the dealer's irresponsible behavior or the strike at the plant. To increase the probability of getting the car I did another booking at another dealer too (@Indus, Muvattupuzha, Kerala).

From one of the thread in T Bhp, I came to know that the Duster is going to launch on July 4th and started reading the reviews to get more idea about it and on July 3rd I transferred my booking amount to TVS (Renault Cochin dealer) to their Madurai a/c without specifying Petrol/Diesel/variant with an understanding that I can select the variant after the launch and test drive.

Atlast, I chose 85RXE (Diesel) variant based on the test drive experience with 110PS. The promised waiting period was 1-2 months. But I had to wait for 4.5 months due reasons only known to the dealer / Renault and changed the model to 85RxL(O). I got it for the initial pricing ~11.25Lakhs w/o choosing any additional addons from the dealer and took the zero depreciation insurance from National for ~21K compared to 36K quoted by the dealer. The ordeal didnt end there, the left drive shaft full assermbly got changed under warranty with in 1 week due to improper crimping on the rubber boot.

The Engine – The K9K engine, India's "national engine" had already proven its robustness and reliability in Logan. I have seen taxis with more than 2lakh kms and running without any sweat. Its refined, but not a rev happy diesel for an impressive mileage. With the combination of linear turbo and a 5 speed gearbox, its a peppy car to drive. But sometimes we may feel out of breath in highways. A remap is in the pipeline once everything is settled. I want the peppiness in the 4th and 5th gear without loosing the current peppiness at the initial gears. Since the duster is built to cost, it will be a NO NO for a TUNING BOX, dont want to risk the injectors. So a safe remap is recommended (the pistons/transmission and other related parts are different and doesnt support the torque of 110 dCi). Need to analyse more.

The cabin space – Its more than adequate for a dravidian family, there is no one in our family with more than 6ft ht. All seats have good knee room, shoulder space and outside visibility.

Driveability – Inspite of having the size of a crossover, it is an easy drive car with great road visibility. The clutch is not to my liking, hence I opted for 85PS, in city it requires less number of gear shifts than 110PS.

Gearshift – Shifting is smooth, but slightly notchy. Short throw and slots well. But the slight hardness of the clutch can be a let down if it is frequent.

Brakes – Slightly spongy, but did a bleeding during the 2nd service. But it does the job without any drama, did a detailed test during the test drive, tried to stop a non-ABS model @~100/110 speed, it stopped with a slight screeching, but it never went out of control. Once I had a similar situation with my car too, with ABS it did perfect.

Good GC and Tuned Suspension - This is the highlight of duster and can glide over pot holes very well. It was put to test on our trip to chikmagalur trip. There is one botanical garden \ rock garden (under development) and to reach there is risky as literally there is no road and its like a forest to cross. Most of the tourists might have not gone there because of this. On the way, I could see only a few locals in a Jeep with a weird look like "Are you crazy". BTW, you will get breathtaking views from there, a nice place for a photo enthusiast like me.

Large Boot - It has good boot space and could carry all the luggage of 2 families + 25ltr water container + other goodies on a long drive to Goa.

Interiors : Plastic quality for this price is a let down, but its very practical. The ergonomics are not a deal breaker for me, except the power window controls. I like the audio controls and the orvm controls' location (common complaint), but I find perfect for me. Since the audio controls are at a constant location irrespective of the steering position, will not confuse while driving. Also I can easily locate the orvm controls while driving, without looking at it. Also I feel the size of the rear view mirror is less, a bigger one will be more comfortable. Seats need improvement, its not so supportive, it definitely requires an ortho seat attachment with good lumbar and thigh support. Another issue is the A-pillar blind spot while turning, it could hide a whole Alto.

A few more observations:
- The headlights could be more powerful esp for highway runs. I am planning for Hella aux lights, but keeping it on hold due to the recent checking in kerala.
- The horn is adequate, but a better one is recommended
- The music system has all the features you would need and is relatively easy to use, the sound is not a big let down, with proper setting its not so bad for an average user. The default speaker size is 5.25" and needs reinforcing the door panel to accomodate a bigger one.
- The rear parking assist works pretty well and is accurate.
- Observed a slight dimming of headlights while some electrical load is there, eg: during a load on electrical power steering while truing the steering
- Windnoise due to the rails / orvms at high speeds. One solution is to increase the ice vol, but I like to listen the engine during my spirited drives.

Anyways, now its running fine and I am happy with my decision. I am getting 16-18km/l in city and 20-21km/l in highway with <2700rpm for sedated drive ~80-100 and occasional use of AC. Once it cross the 110-120 mark, the FE drops and got 15-16km/l (with AC) during a pondy drive with occasional 160-165km/hr.

[Update] : Recent filling (60ltrs) at the Cochin refinery bunk gave 19km/l on highway with full AC (~100-130km/hr) and I am getting 17-19km/l in city with occasional use of AC. A big difference that I noted was that the vehicle became more crisp in response.

Following are some of the pictures which I took during the initial days:

DPP_0001.JPG

DPP_0005.JPG

DPP_0004.JPG

DPP_0006.JPG

DPP_0003.JPG

DPP_0002.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Following are the mods \ customization done:
================================
- Bumpers painted to give a complete look
- DIY Detailing using Meiguar's Ultimate Polish + Meiguar's NXT Gen Wax Polish (more details and pics later)
- vinyl wraping on the B & C pillars to give a lengthy side profile
- DIY ICE using a carpc / IVI (more details : http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...diy-ice-carpc-ivi-install-renault-duster.html)
- Floor mats : Elegant
- Mud flaps from eBay at 1/3rd price what the dealer had quoted

Mods in pipeline:
===========
- Remap
- Front grill blackening
- Seat cover + Handrest
- Dashboard Leather wrap (another DIY project)
- Aux driving lights
- DIY Damping the full car (currently front 2 doors are done as part of ICE), planning to do the floor/roof/boot/firewall

Last edited:
good review [cheers]

please share pic of all Mods you do in car, Duster is a good all rounder & if all goes in way then i hope i also manage to have a duster in my parking in starting of next year.

Congrats for your duster. I would like to know about the difference in performance and mileage with 110PS Duster with 6 gears as you test driven both. btw your duster is a looker in white. Wish you happy miles with your beast :)

Nice review and Dusty looks nice in the pictures :)

How is the AC cooling in hot and humid afternoons? I heard some people saying that AC is was not powerful enough in Duster.

I have now booked a 85 PS RXL (O) and going to get my delivery by end of this month. :) Will keep you updated with my experience

Thread Starter #9
My French Bull Dog became a wild Bull Dog

My French Bull dog was a calm pet till last saturday.

"Frenchies are playful and affectionate. Their loyal, loving nature makes them a wonderful companion dog. French Bulldogs are an intelligent breed, however their willful, stubborn nature can make them more challenging to train. They require patience, repetition and early socialization."

But he is no more a calm and a lazy normal bull dog. He has become very aggressive and I have to change myself to handle him. Last saturday his DNA was slightly tweaked at "CODE6 Hospital, Bangalore" aka BAY6 Engineering Pvt Ltd. Yes, he got REMAPPED. For the time being, he is running only a stage II map. Till now, I had to pull him while going for a walk, but now I have to run after him to bring him back to home. More details later...

For the time being, a few snaps of the Bull Dog with the last weekend's diy grill blackening using 3D carbon fibre vinyl for a proper aggressive Bull dog look: (sorry for the mobile phone pics)

DSC_0836.JPG

DSC_0837.JPG

Re: My French Bull Dog became a wild Bull Dog

For the time being, a few snaps of the Bull Dog with the last weekend's diy grill blackening using 3D carbon fibre vinyl for a proper aggressive Bull dog look: (sorry for the mobile phone pics)
DIY work looks good. Please post more clear pictures.

When i looked at the pics i was wondering why the car suddenly looked more European,until i realized you had painted portions of the bumper which are exposed.
I must say it really looks clean & good.
From your observations i guess you would recommend the 85 ps variant for city & town users & 110 ps variant for frequent highway users.

By painting the grill black it now looks more macho and that feminine look as now gone. Looks nice. Where did you get the grills painted?

Hi, i'm bharath i got the very good information about duster from you sir, i have read all the posts of yours it was very useful for me, now i own maruti esteem and i want damping done to my car and i'm fed up of the rattling sound from the car (ride and handling) of the car making me not to take another but still , i have planned to take duster (85ps please suggest me the model) mostly by next few months and i like to damping for the doors, floor, firewall and at the hood (as i'm used to petrol car and i like the smooth ride to some extent at least ) and please suggest the me the any garage in bangalore that do damping

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom