Hyundai Verna 1.4 VTVT Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hey Guys,

This is now 2 weeks since I own Hyundai verna 1.4 petrol and taking some time out from my busy schedule to help people on this rare particular version(1.4 vtvt) since I couldn't found a single good review on it across all forums but still I went ahead and booked the car due to my gut feeling that it will be good

Now I have 2 Korean horses Beat and Verna

Reason for new car:-
I own Chevy Beat 1.2 LT since 3 yrs 4 months, clocked 34K so far and absolutely not a single issue whatsoever so far since its well maintained too by myself and single handed.

It was my mom being on good post, started looking for a car.So we went to Maruti showroom (budget was 4 lac decided).We saw Alto and wagonR but both of them rejected by mom due to interior is not so good looking and front seat was not too comfortable for her in alto (may be she got used to front comfortable seats in BEAT and its sporty interior).Waggi being boxy in design rejected.

Finally while returning home from showroom my mom gave option to me to buy a new sedan car and give her this current beauty I am holding.I was not too sure what to do but impressed after a while by the Idea since any ways I would have upgraded to sedan in couple of yrs and BEAT being in such a good condition will be good if it remains in family around me(my wish[clap]).Win-Win situation

So finally I became ready for new car and budget got decided as 8 -9lacs.

My requirement parameters

1. Petrol Sedan (C1/C2 segment) since diesel car too costly(1.5 lac < ) across all sedans and diesel prices are decontrolled now, maintenance, service cost higher.Recovering cost difference will be a big task since my daily running would be 40kms.
2. Good looks
3. Fuel efficiency
4. more than 100 bhp power
5. Good wide across boot space so that I can install CNG in long run if petrol is no longer affordable and use boot space too.

Car I have seriously considered

1. Honda Amaze:-
Well well well! This car I really liked outer look wise but interior were too plain and basic. Took test drive at least 4 times after the launch since boot space was also good with FE.Honda well known for their rev happy engine but I did not feel that grunt/punch towards the lower end till 50 kmph.Mid range was just okt.I took it till 120 kmph on open long stretch but engine was not that quick enough to my satisfaction and sound insulation of the car was not good.Could here some sporty sound inside as I rev the engine. So SA asked to me to try for diesel and it was in budget too.Diesel was absolutely very very fast but noise and vibration was something needs to work on for Honda.Diesel I drove till 150 kmph effortlessly!!

2. Honda City
Its absolutely delight and drivers car, looks good especially front grill took test drive once but was too overly priced for features it has to offer.Again I did not like the interior(subjective) and it was little long in length too (4440mm) for my short garage than verna (4370mm)

3. Swift Dzire
Very common and selling 15k per month.Very good interior but boot was short and rear shape was like afterthought otherwise nothing wrong with this car.Engine and refinement was top notch like Honda typical Japanese

4 Hyundai Verna
Since its launch, I was more inclined towards this car and even read reviews of bad handling but then read about new suspension set-up Hyundai is offering in new batches.So to some extent I convinced myself :)Driven 1.6 petrol 3 times.Could not find 1.4 for test drive anywhere [frustration]

There was big fight between verna 1.4 and Amaze 1.2 at the end

I know they are segment apart but were ticking all boxes of requirement parameter list.

Verna being too sexy from both inside and outside, 1.4 ltr 107 bhp of power, 17.43 kmpl ARAI and had big car feeling inside while amaze is having 88 bhp of power and 18 kmpl ARAI mileage and cost diff was near about 1.2 lac

So finally my heart was saying Verna for dashing looks and power it offers while my brain was saying amaze for its practicality, fuss free honda ownership reviews,rev happy honda engine, rear seat comfort, space, FE, cost difference

At the end I went with my heart !!

Note
It is my opinion about above mentioned car and no offence to respective car owners.I respect all of them.

Buying experience
I did visit to Kundan, Sanjay and Garve Hyundai out of which Sanjay Hyundai seem to be very professional and polite but did not want to negotiate much.At the end got cracker of a deal from Garve as 20k associate corporate discount + 31k discount from dealer = 51k.

Great negotiation skills really helped here to snatch best deal.Another reason for heavy discount was slack season due to which Kundan and Garve Hyundai SA were competing each other to get customer even with low margin

Freebies and deal details
1. Rubber mat kit from dealer includes mud flap, good quality foot mats(Verna written on them), steering cover, perfume etc
2. 0% depreciation Royal sundaram policy is only insurance provide where we can claim 7 times in a year while rest of the insurance provider gives 2 times only after that it will get converted to comprehensive policy(afaik)
3. 3rd year extended warranty

Total OTR = 851000 - 51000 discount = 800000 (pimpri chinchwad price)

Loan
Wanted 4 lac car loan . Once upon a time after booking a car, as usual I was going through several auto forums and saw Bankbazaar.com adv for 0 processing fee car loan.I enrolled myself and saw AXIS bank is providing loan with 10.5% fixed interest rate while others were providing 10.75% at dealers place with processing fee of 2-4k.
Along with it got 1% referral bonus from bank bazaar which is 4k.

Delivery Day
25th July was booking date and 2nd sept was delivery date as scheduled

On 2nd sept morning when we reached showroom, I got surprise of my life.There was some miscommunication from SA (as per him) as far as heavy discount is concerned.So he and his leader with sale manager had demanded extra 15 k to get delivery of a car.But I knew something like this is going to happen and I was prepared for it.

I had taken all deal details in written from them and kept no space for dealer to escape in any condition
Also all conversations with them were recorded over phone.

I threatened them I will go to consumer forum since I have all the proofs.They were not ready but I was very firm that I will not pay even a single penny for such miscommunication or cheating probably who knows .I got keys and pooja was done in morning on shubh muhurat which I was insisting but after that around 2-3 hours wasted in arguments.

Finally, I could not sustain any more and straight away I went to their GM.He is a Sardar and very polite person.I explained him everything in detail along with written proofs and shown how frustrated and disappointed I am after making deal with this SA.He listened carefully and says to SA ,his leader and sales manager standing in cabin "Galti apne se hui hain na to apne ko hi bhugatna padega! Dedo gadi sir ko". There was sigh of relief on my face and my wifey... politely with smile said Thank you and left the cabin.

After 1/2 hour all formalities were done and left with a car.Still for courtesy/humanity gave 500 bucks to SA for problems he might face from management going forward due to wrong communication and resulted loss to dealer (probably).

Post delivery experience
PDI was done by me and manufacturing details also I got from form 22 its 27 july 2013.

Got Rs 300 coupon from dealer to fill up petrol.Display was showing only 16kms on ODO.Straight ahead went to petrol pump and filled petrol.After that went to chatushrungi temple to get blessing for new car and came back home.
Checked tyre pressure since I knew it will be much higher and surprised to see it was whopping 46psi in all tyres.Removed air and filled nitrogen with 32psi in all 5 tyres.Till now driven for 350 kms

About steering
I felt steering was extra light(good for city traffic) at speed below 30kmph and gains significant weight above that speed sometimes I felt it hard at higher speed but it is good also at speed above 100 kmph for better hold/grip on the road.Dont know if Hyundai has done some tweaks to the steering in new cars.Test drive vehicles which I had driven I did not notice it.

About Engine
Engine is ultra refined one and there is pin drop silence in cabin.Many times I had cranked already running engine..lol..Beat is also very silent on neutral gear
At higher speeds also there is no sound filtering cabin due to good insulations.
Till now I have taken it till 120 kmph effortlessly.

About Gearbox
Below 100kms gear shifts was hard specially first gear and at 350km now its butter smooth.But first is still little harder but its improving day by day.But quality of shifts/slots, short gearing is a benchmark and Hyundai's and Honda's are well known for this.

About Suspension
Suspension for sure is stiffer as compared to test driven vehicles and ground clearance is also noticeably higher.There is no scrapping on speed breaker till now.At higher speed above 100 car handles okay but wouldnt say its very good handler(may be too early to comment on this... will surely update on this since most of the eyes looking for this only).
There is not pitching or bobbing motion or boat like feeling whatsoever....But there is considerable body roll on turns.BEAT handles very well at 100-120 kmph speed IMO compared to Verna.

About Tyres
It came with MRF ZVTV 185/65 R15 tyres for which I was getting 6k exchange offer to Bridgestone but could not get time for that.IMO MRF lacks grip on road

About FE
I am sure we all search for FE in reviews heheh here it is
MID had shown max 15.5 kmpl so far
Instant mileage varies from 5 till 99.99kmpl..lol

Negatives so far

Poor rear visibility
Body roll
Little hard steering on high speed(may improve over the period of time)
Rear seats under thigh support

After market fitments
1. Autocop reverse parking sensor cost - 2300
2. 4 Door wiser cost - 200
3. Minda trumpet Horn cost - 650
4. Car shampoo and clean cham

Pending Items:-
1. Better sun film budget 2500 only since there is a risk of removing them associated due to new rto rule
2. Seat covers under 10k

Please give me some info on these 2 pending items

I hope my review will be helpful [clap]

Last edited:
Re: Hyundai verna 1.4 vtvt owneship review

Congrats on your new ride. Loved reading your straight from the heart review. But a review without pics is incomplete, rather a crime, so, do post some pics.

Also, a small correction, Chevy is an American and not Korean.

Thread Starter #3

Congrats on your new ride. Loved reading your straight from the heart review. But a review without pics is incomplete, rather a crime, so, do post some pics.

Also, a small correction, Chevy is an American and not Korean.
Thanks for being first to comment on my review freakdude!!
Yes I am in the process of uploading loads of pics but not able to do it due to size issue [frustration] Need to compress them.

About Beat in particular it is developed by its South Korean division GM Korea.Known as Spark in other countries
Source Chevrolet Spark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But if you talk about Chevy brand yes its American.

Brother very nice , to the point review . And you are right not many reviews of 1.4 petrol verna are there on the web .

Congrats and wish you many happy miles .
Pls keep us updated with the mileage you get and service cost too .

And post some pictures of your beauty .

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Congrats on the new car. Any reason why you didn't buy the 1.6 ?

I too was shocked to see 51k discount. I could only get 4k. Corporate discount or 10k loyalty bonus. Chose the latter :p

You shouldn't have given him 500bucks. And obviously he must have told his boss, sardarji, the day he promised you all the discounts.

I bought autographix tint roll for 800bucks. It's like 90% visibility lol. 250 as installation. For the same stuff accessory shops charge 2000-2500rupees.

And I don't want to break your heart :p but Mileage on MID is nuts.

I also got 14-15kmpl.displayed but actual was just 10kmpl. Anyways 1.4 will be efficient then 1.6 so.i'm.guessing you should get 11-13kmpl.

Do check with tankful method

Last edited:

Thanks for being first to comment on my review freakdude!!
Yes I am in the process of uploading loads of pics but not able to do it due to size issue [frustration] Need to compress them.

About Beat in particular it is developed by its South Korean division GM Korea.Known as Spark in other countries
Source Chevrolet Spark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But if you talk about Chevy brand yes its American.
Even if it gets produced by GM India it still remains all American. So, don't call it a Korean. [;)] And eagerly waiting for pics.

Thread Starter #8

Congrats on the new car. Any reason why you didn't buy the 1.6 ?

I too was shocked to see 51k discount. I could only get 4k. Corporate discount or 10k loyalty bonus. Chose the latter :p

You shouldn't have given him 500bucks. And obviously he must have told his boss, sardarji, the day he promised you all the discounts.

I bought autographix tint roll for 800bucks. It's like 90% visibility lol. 250 as installation. For the same stuff accessory shops charge 2000-2500rupees.

And I don't want to break your heart :p but Mileage on MID is nuts.

I also got 14-15kmpl.displayed but actual was just 10kmpl. Anyways 1.4 will be efficient then 1.6 so.i'm.guessing you should get 11-13kmpl.

Do check with tankful method
Hey Buddy,

I would like to thank you first for your nice ownership review which I read and enjoyed before buying this car.

1.6 was over 9 lacs and over my budget [cry] .Also read about FE problems people are reporting in 1.6.So played safe game here with 1.4 since I am more concerned on ever rising petrol prices.But I know difference in mileage would be marginal [:)]

Yes MID shows higher FE than actual(by 1-2 km read as per some reviews) but as per you its around 3-4kmpl lesser [frustration].I will report mileage by tankful method as well.

Regarding autographics from where you have purchased it(online/accessories shop)? Any Idea on %heat rejection data.Any good or bad points you noticed so far.
I may go with this option as well if you recommend it

Thread Starter #9

Its me very happy [:)]
Screenshot - 7.png

Rear badge changes for 1.4. how narrow is my parking space for car like Verna! [cry]
garage.jpg

Screenshot-8.png

Hello sagar007 ,congrats on your ride buddy [:)] ! Your Verna looks awesome and your review is up to the mark . Wish you happy miles ahead [:)] . Now we have ownership review's on both engines in Verna[clap]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Hey Buddy,

I would like to thank you first for your nice ownership review which I read and enjoyed before buying this car.

1.6 was over 9 lacs and over my budget [ .Also read about FE problems people are reporting in 1.6.So played safe game here with 1.4 since I am more concerned on ever rising petrol prices.But I know difference in mileage would be marginal [:)]

Yes MID shows higher FE than actual(by 1-2 km read as per some reviews) but as per you its around 3-4kmpl lesser [frustratn].I will report mileage by tankful method as well.

Regarding autographics from where you have purchased it(online/accessories shop)? Any Idea on %heat rejection data.Any good or bad points you noticed so far.
I may go with this option as well if you recommend it
thanks for that [:)]

oh ok. well keep us updated on the mileage you get.

i bought the roll from kashmeri gate market , a local car market. and i don't think the in 800 rupees it'd have enough heat rejection. you should not worry , verna's AC is good enough [;)] and i think normal AC is better than automatic. ( have compared ACs in i20s)

just a couple of headsup.
* front bumper is very fragile. so if you are 100% sure that the car can turn then only make a turn , otherwise back it up a little and then turn.
* don't take the car above 2500rpm until the first service. many people say that modern car engines doesn't need this but why take a chance :P

Thread Starter #12

Hi allhyundaicars,

Thanks for advise about bumper (will TC)

Agreed.I planned to follow it till 1000km(break in period) but when I read user manual It says vary your speed between 2k to 4k rpm so that engine can open up properly[confused] So started following it.But I have never revved it beyond 4k rpm yet.and yes why to take a chance[thumbsup]

Sagar, congratulations on your new verna.Wish you many happy miles with it, do keep updating your ownership thread and post some more images interiors too.
1.4L one misses out on few of the features from 1.6L right along with steering mount controls,any particulars that you think you miss in your ride.

Sagar does the 1.4 verna come with any safety like abs or airbags ? Btw the car looks lovely and stunning .

Top Bottom