Tallboy Came Home - Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R (My Friend's)

Thread Starter #1
After hunting for a car for the last 2years, having used OLX and quickr more than anyone else, test driven about 11cars, saw about 25+ and finally my friend bought a car!

His requirements:
  • USED car only
  • Power Steering
  • AC
  • Music System
  • Plastic Door pads
  • Below 1lac price tag

Since our budget was low (max 1 lac) our hunt was really tough.

1. I love HPS but cant suggest him as EPS is less maintenance compared to this.
  2. I love Fiat, he wants Maruti/Hyundai
  3. The more I suggest him low mileage powerful car (Ikon 1.6, Palio 1.6, Opel corsa etc), the more he talks about Zen, Esteem and Alto.
  4. I switch off AC even when I drive AC fit car, to enjoy the full pickup, he's exactly opposite, going slow is ok, without AC is never ok

This is his first car so we all can understand how excited he must be. He has completed his driving lessons about a year back and is yet to be confident enough to drive in city roads/parking etc. Varun helped us by referring this car and my friend saw it, later spoke to the owner over the phone, negotiated and the price came down from 1lakh to 90K.

The sudden twist:
Yesterday when we reached the service center to make full & final payment to owner, someone else also had come there to see the car (with cash). He was ready for 1.20lacs for the same car! But the gentleman humbly replied to them, "I have given my word to this person and I got to stick to it, sorry". I was shocked by this and then we made payment, signed papers etc got the car washed and took delivery from the service centre itself.

A few pics of the car -
DSC_1724.jpg

DSC_1720.jpg

DSC_1723.jpg

DSC_1721.jpg

DSC_1722.jpg

DSC_1708.jpg

DSC_1703.jpg

DSC_1700.jpg

Thread Starter #2
Re: Tallboy came home - WagonR (my friend's)

The interiors
DSC_1716.jpg

DSC_1715.jpg

DSC_1709.jpg

DSC_1711.jpg

DSC_1732.jpg

DSC_1737.jpg

Some Details

Second owner (now my friend will be the third owner)
Lxi -Power steering & ac
92xxxkms driven
Original seats
No modifications
Insurance till december

Positives about the car
1. Looks are very clean and decent
2. Almost New front bumper, anti roll bar, left apron, headlamps, air filter, engine oil, one tyre.
3. Feather light power steering, smooth engine (no way like the Fiat Palio though[;)])
4. No humming noise in gears, gears slot well, all electricals are fine
5. Purely petrol engined car, no lpd etc has been fit so far
6. No mil light

Some points to note:

1. This is an accident car, frontal collision, left side apron replaced at MASS hence the list of newparts above are making the car look good
2. The impact has not hit the engine/gearbox - they are intact
3. Bonnet, hatch door, front windshield are all replaced (with pics details later)
4. All rims are in pathetic condition (worn out after tortured for 92xxxkms)
5. 2tyres badly need replacement ASAP (side wall cut + cracked!)
6. Pickup is very little in the car (although serviced recently & has new air filter and almost fresh engine oil)
7. Rusting although minimal, needs attention pretty soon
8. Thickness of sheet metal in hatch door is a serious concern
9. Both number plates need replacement
10 wheel alignment & emission test to be done
11. Manual central locking not working that well
12. ICE (Cd player works) has lose wires and needs some minor DIY's
13. Cabin lamp is a joke (LED coming soon)
14. Wipers need replacement
15. Underbody coat to be applied
16. Other things in mind - body colour bumper, black stickering like Vxi wagonr for b pillar, wheel rim in matt black and adding wheel caps, body side moulds to be added, LH mirror cover needs to be put, day/night mirror to be added
17. Clutch needs replacement pretty soon

Congrats, finally he bought it !

Car looks better in pic's than what we see. Car is in decent condition. Rear split seats and reclining (my dream) . Rear has type 2 lamps, looks good.

Does it have a rear cabin lamp ? Where are the rear speakers ?

The HU is good and has pretty decent output.

Please get the roof rails fitted it would look much better.

Congrats Anand, please convey my best wishes to your friend. Thats indeed a great deal. By the way which model the car is?
I must say having you and Varun seen the car your friend is really lucky to buy that.

The interiors
View attachment 108217

View attachment 108218

View attachment 108219

View attachment 108220

View attachment 108221

View attachment 108222

Some Details

Second owner (now my friend will be the third owner)
Lxi -Power steering & ac
92xxxkms driven
Original seats
No modifications
Insurance till december

Positives about the car
1. Looks are very clean and decent
2. Almost New front bumper, anti roll bar, left apron, headlamps, air filter, engine oil, one tyre.
3. Feather light power steering, smooth engine (no way like the Fiat Palio though[;)])
4. No humming noise in gears, gears slot well, all electricals are fine
5. Purely petrol engined car, no lpd etc has been fit so far
6. No mil light

Some points to note:

1. This is an accident car, frontal collision, left side apron replaced at MASS hence the list of newparts above are making the car look good
2. The impact has not hit the engine/gearbox - they are intact
3. Bonnet, hatch door, front windshield are all replaced (with pics details later)
4. All rims are in pathetic condition (worn out after tortured for 92xxxkms)
5. 2tyres badly need replacement ASAP (side wall cut + cracked!)
6. Pickup is very little in the car (although serviced recently & has new air filter and almost fresh engine oil)
7. Rusting although minimal, needs attention pretty soon
8. Thickness of sheet metal in hatch door is a serious concern
9. Both number plates need replacement
10 wheel alignment & emission test to be done
11. Manual central locking not working that well
12. ICE (Cd player works) has lose wires and needs some minor DIY's
13. Cabin lamp is a joke (LED coming soon)
14. Wipers need replacement
15. Underbody coat to be applied
16. Other things in mind - body colour bumper, black stickering like Vxi wagonr for b pillar, wheel rim in matt black and adding wheel caps, body side moulds to be added, LH mirror cover needs to be put, day/night mirror to be added
17. Clutch needs replacement pretty soon
And of course you will be doing all the work required.[clap]
Car looks good.
I am waiting for your restoration eagerly.

Anand,
Convey my congrats to your friend for purchasing the TALL BOY.
The car looks good, interiors are fine, specially the rear split,reclaining seats are good.
It is worthy for its price.

Hi ss80,
That's great to hear about people still valuing their words.He indeed is a gentleman.Can you specify the year of the car?I can see a doctor's emblem on the windshield!?
Regards,
Aneesh.

The cars really looking good. i can clearly remember the ad of wagon R in which a yellow wagon r is being driven just like this model.

it looks really good for a car used ~1L km.

i second what Dr. Aneesh said, it is really hard to find people who keeps their word.

wishing your friend happy miles on the tall boy

Thread Starter #9
Thanks and 1st issue

Anand,
Convey my congrats to your friend for purchasing the TALL BOY.
The car looks good, interiors are fine, specially the rear split,reclaining seats are good.
It is worthy for its price.
Thanks Sir. He wants the car to be similar to yours (Black stickering for B pillar etc)
Hi ss80,
That's great to hear about people still valuing their words.He indeed is a gentleman.Can you specify the year of the car?I can see a doctor's emblem on the windshield!?
Regards,
Aneesh.
The first owner was a Doctor, later it was never removed. It is a 2002model Type1 Wagon R. We were totally surprised by the gentleman's straight forward attitude.

The cars really looking good. i can clearly remember the ad of wagon R in which a yellow wagon r is being driven just like this model.

it looks really good for a car used ~1L km.

i second what Dr. Aneesh said, it is really hard to find people who keeps their word.

wishing your friend happy miles on the tall boy
Thanks again
And of course you will be doing all the work required.[clap]
Car looks good.
I am waiting for your restoration eagerly.
The thing is not much will be done to this car, except for basic repairs and looks (stickering etc). The total budget for repairing is too small to do anything big. He bought this car in his savings and is not willing to take money from home to fix the car hence he has decided to go slow on repairs.

Congrats Anand, please convey my best wishes to your friend. Thats indeed a great deal. By the way which model the car is?
I must say having you and Varun seen the car your friend is really lucky to buy that.
It was Varun who made my friend lucky. Also the Service center "SOLOTEK" is pretty good, simple and the owner is very much customer focused. Attends to each and every customer's issue.

Congrats, finally he bought it !

Yes that's a big relief [;)]
Car looks better in pic's than what we see. Car is in decent condition. Rear split seats and reclining (my dream) . Rear has type 2 lamps, looks good.

Does it have a rear cabin lamp ? Where are the rear speakers ?
It does not have rear cabin lamp, front two speakers are in dashboard and rear speakers are in the hatch door. The CD got stuck and is not coming out, front speaker covers are rattling a lot.

The HU is good and has pretty decent output.

Please get the roof rails fitted it would look much better.
Yeah, you are right. But one dumb question from my side - As the car is already SO TALL, wont the COG get affected? Will it topple a bit sooner since the overall height increases? Is it just glued to the roof or screwed in?

First Issue:
There is belt noise coming from the engine bay and it's getting a little louder day by day. It's most probably the Timing Belt and not the Dynamo belt.

I am planning to get the whole Timing belt kit replaced. Or is it okay to just change the belt?

Thread Starter #10
Yesterday there was a strange noise from the left suspension and when checked we were shocked to see the strut bolts were just finger tight!

So just managed to tighten them and hopefully the noise should be gone by now. May in the first week of next month the fuel injectors need to be cleaned. Planning for a DIY [;)]

Yeah, you are right. But one dumb question from my side - As the car is already SO TALL, wont the COG get affected? Will it topple a bit sooner since the overall height increases? Is it just glued to the roof or screwed in?

First Issue:
There is belt noise coming from the engine bay and it's getting a little louder day by day. It's most probably the Timing Belt and not the Dynamo belt.

I am planning to get the whole Timing belt kit replaced. Or is it okay to just change the belt?
BTW what is COG ? Center of gravity ? I guess roof rails wont effect it.

In my enjoy it's glued, it should be the same in wagonR too. I will confirm after checking it in my cousin's car.

The noise could be from the timing belt tensioner. Get the timing belt & tensioner replaced together to save labor charges.

Thread Starter #13
Bought a few items for the car from my regular shop, the J.K.Automobiles (gives good discounts too)

Denso Spark Plugs - 4NOs
Timing Belt & tensioner
Antenna
Two fender indicators
I am in a hurry as already to work. A few pics of the fender indicator replacement.

DSC_1793.jpg

DSC_1794.jpg

DSC_1795.jpg

DSC_1798.jpg

DSC_1801.jpg

DSC_1799.jpg

These indicators totally change the looks of the car. I wonder why the car manufacturers provide the same (especially Maruti).

So are you going to change the timing belt too ?

For changing the spark plugs in Alto, Wagonr & M800 (5 speed) you need a special tool as the plugs are placed inside the head cover.

This attachment is not included in the ratchet set [frustration]

Thread Starter #15
Installed the 100/90 wiring kit and relay and replaced the H4 bulbs with Philips 100/90.
Changed wiper blades and rear number plate lights (blue ones now, but they are not working, need to check yet again). A few pictures of the same.

DSC_1833.jpg

DSC_1836.jpg

DSC_1823.jpg

Left is the old dull bulbs, right is the new one.
DSC_1809.jpg

DSC_1818.jpg

DSC_1819.jpg

I will tag this HL wiring to the AC pipe to avoid it coming in contact with the hot inlet manifold
fireasa.jpg

I bought a few packets of these bulbs, for front parking lamp and rear number plate light.
DSC_1832.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom