Another YAMAHA At Home - Yamaha RAY

Thread Starter #1
Background
My dad has a 2007 TVS Scooty Pep with 70k on odo as his daily ride. For past 6 months the old work horse started giving troubles (Clutch & belt failure, starting trouble, hard suspension, poor pickup, etc etc) We decided to it's time for replacement.

Hunt
Started hunting for a replacement. We are proud owners of TVS from 90's, we had most of the vehicles from TVS (50 XL, XL Super, Scooty ES, Scooty PEP, Scooty Streak, Max 100R, Star Sport, Apache RTR) So this time we wanted a change (for no reasons)

Requirements
- Not so heavy
- Reasonable mileage (40+kmpl)
- Soft suspension and good rear seat comfort
- Good braking
- Trouble free ownership
- Price <60k

Choices
Below were our choices
1) Honda Activa-i
Got some positive feedback from my dad's friend. But the styling doesn't look appealing to myself and my mom. So no TD.
2) Honda Dio
I some how liked the new Dio styling and the colors available (Matt grey, White & Yellow) But the response from dealership was poor. No TD vehicle available, no stock available, Sales executive was promoting Activa-i. So ruled out
3) Honda Activa
Ruled out for no reason.
4) Hero Pleasure
I got good feedback from many of my friends on pleasure. But since my In-law family have a pleasure and my wife is not satisfied with it (again no reason)
5) Mahindra Rodeo
Good pickup and suspension. But ruled out for it's height
6) Yamaha Ray
Even before TD, ray attracted my mom and wify. Had a TD and found far better than our pep and pleasure. Sales executive was very kind. I liked Ray-Z, but since it will be used by my dad we settled for Ray (Grey color)

Buying experience
We were offered the quotation for 54946 INR On-road + 2630 for accessories (Seat cover, Handle grip, Floor mat, front and rear crash guards, side foot rest, Indicator buzzer) I'm not satisfied with the looks of crash guard, floor mat, seat cover & handle grip. Finally negotiated for 54946 with freebies (teflon coating, foot rest, floor mat, Indicator buzzer, 2ltr petrol) yesterday and informed them we will take delivery the next day.

Myself and my better half reached the dealership by 3:30pm, and got delivery by 4:00pm. Wify driven the new work horse to home. Went to temple with mom and did pooja.

- Soft suspension
- Good rear seat comfort
- Superb braking

Dislikes
- Not so peppy engine
- Under seat storage could not accommodate full face hell-mate
- Horn is almost useless (no upgrade recommended, will void battery warranty)
- Lighting is not satisfactory (but more than enough for city driving)

Yet to check the FE figures. Will add the detailed ownership review soon.

Attachments

Congrats buddy on your new scooter. I did TD last week and found better than Honda Activa i. BW why did not you include Suzuki Swiss. It is one of the best scooter right now in India.

Thread Starter #3
Congrats buddy on your new scooter. I did TD last week and found better than Honda Activa i. BW why did not you include Suzuki Swiss. It is one of the best scooter right now in India.
Thanks dude. Suzuki was ruled out for it's height. But I'm quite impressed with the performance, fit & finish of Swiss

Thanks dude. Suzuki was ruled out for it's height. But I'm quite impressed with the performance, fit & finish of Swiss
Yes the current scooter market I did like Swiss a lot for its handling it is a better scooter than a Wego, Activa, Vespa. If Suzuki would grow their service network then it would beat Activa in sales.

Thread Starter #5
Anyone upgraded the headlamps in Ray? No plan as of now (atleast till warranty expires) just interested to know anyone did.

Thread Starter #6
Quick update:
Couldn't resist myself checking FE after a very short run of 60km. Filled the tank and it consumed 1.29 ltr petrol (46.5kmpl)

Observations:
- Seat material is very cheap and flimsy (hope it wont last for atleast 2 years, additional seat cover is a must)
- On sudden braking, handle bar vibrates a lot (also I could feel some noise from the front brakes)

Mr.Boss, I recently took a TD of rayZ. On sudden braking i didn't feel any vibration. the brakes were good enough to give a good response during sudden/panic braking. BTW, it was an open road with minimum traffic. Please check if your ray's handlebar needs any replacement as Yamaha has reacalled rays (not rayZ as far as i know) for handlebar replacement. check the following link: http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/ray-refresh-camp/index.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
^^^ thanks for the link brother.
Checked and found my vehicle is not in the affected list.

Thread Starter #9
Update:

Covered 4200km (Since it is being used by my dad, running will be very less) and completed 3 services. Service cost is almost same as our beloved TVS Scooty Pep. (will post the exact service cost details once I visit my hometown) and till date the bike never gave any issues (touchwood)

Constantly delivering a FE 45+kmpl. There was some rattle noise observed and found the culprit is indicator buzzer and the same is corrected during 3rd service.

Overall we are happy with the scooter.

Will keep the thread updated with recent snaps.

Thread Starter #10

It is almost 2 years since we got this scooter and very much satisfied with the performance and build quality. Covered a little over 10k km.

List of issues faced:
- Rattle noise in front : Culprit being the added indicator buzzer and rectified
- Rattle noise from Seat lock : Yet to figure out the root cause / solution

Hi,
Share the Service costs and satification ratio on the same.
Yamaha always rocks. One of my uncle crossed 45000kms and still proceeding in a good manner. But he is not servicing in Yamaha Service.

Top Bottom