Yamaha R15 Version 1.0 Ownership Thread

Thread Starter #1
This is my Second ownership Review :) So Let's make the Intro Short :)

2013-01-14 16-24-22.JPG

Bought my Yamaha R15 version 1.0 on 4 April 2011 to be precise . One of the best decision's that I have ever made in my life yet [clap]The bike has never put me down till now and it's one of the Best machine's i've ever seen!

DSC00034.JPG

Date Of Purchase : 4 April 2011
Kilometers Done Till Date 62970 kms

That's the Best day in My Life Till Date

03012008130.jpg \

Stripped it The Second Day :P

10012008141.jpg

10012008142.jpg

10012008143.jpg

Performance:

The Hard working 149.8cc Single Cylinder Liquid Cooled engine is one of the best engines to Thrift around . I still remember that during the launch of R15, it was the only bike which actually enjoyed Redlining and which was meant to be driven so. The Exceptional Handling was another key Ingredient to the Baby R1[evil] . The bike Gradually starts to pull from 3k rpm and the pulling gets even strong high in the rpm range and once you hit the 7k rpm, bike just pulls you till redline with ease, where all the power has been actually hidden. The Mid end and the low end is not actually great as it's designed to produce the maximum power at the high rpm's , so City riding was little bit of strain changing gear every time :(

Gears: 6
Clucth: Wet plate
Suspension: Telescopic on Front, Linked type Monocross on Rear

Kitna Deti Hai ?

I used to get almost 45 + on city rides and almost around 50+ on Highways

Maintenance:

Engine oil:Used Yamalube until the free service and then swapped to Motul 5100 15w50, as @deville_56 suggested me to go for it and Motul just amused me.
The engine noise has came down very much since the first change itself and I was hardly able to find any vibes on the bike.Bike was super silent and Butter smooth[clap]Used to drain engine oil at every 3000kms :)

376815_3778879425233_555697900_n.jpg

Spark Plug:

Swapped to NGK Platinum Sparkplugs on the first swap itself :) Used to change at an interval of 15,000 kms :) Rs 200 per piece :)

557166_3791027808935_1352396679_n.jpg

Oil Filter: Changes on every 10000 kms

Air Filter: First Air filter was being changed on 20,000 kms as the service centre guys told me that they've changed it on 10,000kms and i used to believe them till the day when the bike started to cough and and mileage starts to drop and then checked the air filter and it was kept untouched. After that haven't been to service centre and used to change at every 10,000 kms.

DSC_0056.jpg

Front Tyres: Still sticking to the stock MRF Zapper FY 80/90-17 :) Provides enough grip for my riding style :) Changed it twice , Each at 30,000 kms :)

Rear Tyres:
MRF Zapper-S 100/80-17 :)
1st Tyre lasted 20,000kms
2nd Tyre lasted 22,000kms
3rd Tyre is almost up for a change soon :)

DSC00060.JPG

Little Fun before the Tyre Change

DSC00065.JPG

DSC00066.JPG

DSC00067.JPG

Sprocket and chain:

1st Set lasted for 20,000kms
2nd one lasted for almost 40,000 kms donno how, but i used to clean it and lube it weekly ;)
Coolant:

Changed it twice at an interval of 25,000kms. Once as a DIY and other from a mechanic when my bike was up for a major checkup :)
DIY Coolant Change Coming soon ;)

Brake Pads:

Front Brake Pads - Unaware of the pads, the first set of front brake pad was changed at 20,000kms which pretty much eaten up my fron disc and it lost some of it's bite :(, after that used to change at an interval of almost 18,000 kms .
Changed the Front Disc as it almost started to get Bite-less :(

Rear Brake Pads: Used to change at an interval of almost 10,000 kms and the last pad however lasted for almost 20,000kms .

Other Mod jobs

Changed one of the headlights to 55/60w and upgraded the wiring kit

Led Tail Lamp:

200 High Bright LED's were used and custom made by none other than the DIY GURU , @deville_56 :D

DSC00159.JPG

DSC00162.JPG

200 Led's of Terror :P

DSC00239.JPG

DSC00242.JPG

Led Indicators

Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrapping :

DSC00194.JPG
DSC00195.JPG

Warning Lights
;)

DSC00387.JPG

Odo Updates: --- --- ---> MileMuncher

Tonnes of More Stories and Works to Be Updated, Will be Updating Soon :)

Last edited:
Brings back memories of my R15. One damn good bike. I miss the 15 whenever i hit the highway on the duke.

Bike still looks neat after 60k kms+

How is the Radiator holding up? Mine used to trouble a lot!

@Ambylovers

Thats Scoyco gloves. Its a basic one and it is not water proof. As far as i know there is no 100% Water proof gloves. You just need to wear a surgical gloves and then a biking gloves on top of it to prevent your hands from getting wet.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
HI,
What is the Glove brand you are using. Its looking very nice.
Whether that is rain proof one.
Yes it's a Scoyco as onlinesatish mentioned :) It's not waterproof and i bought it for daily commutation needs , Does the purpose well :)

well written review vishnu., what about the tyre size? did you upsized?
No , Still sticking on the stock size [:D]

Brings back memories of my R15. One damn good bike. I miss the 15 whenever i hit the highway on the duke.

Bike still looks neat after 60k kms+

How is the Radiator holding up? Mine used to trouble a lot!

@Ambylovers

Thats Scoyco gloves. Its a basic one and it is not water proof. As far as i know there is no 100% Water proof gloves. You just need to wear a surgical gloves and then a biking gloves on top of it to prevent your hands from getting wet.
Radiator is fine, haven't troubled me yet. What were the problems you faced with it ?[confused]

That's a very good and detailed ownership review buddy. [clap]

And looks like you keep doing a lot of stuff with your ride. Nice work, keep it up.

And your ride is looking great even after doing so many Kms on the ODO. Nicely maintained.

Yes it's a Scoyco as onlinesatish mentioned :) It's not waterproof and i bought it for daily commutation needs , Does the purpose well :)

No , Still sticking on the stock size [:D]

Radiator is fine, haven't troubled me yet. What were the problems you faced with it ?[confused]
Stock tyres are more than enough for R15. I had used R15's front tyre in my RTR for over 60k kms.

Well, my R15's Radiator started leaking after a while. Mine is form the initial batches of R15's (2008 July model). I noticed it very late ans by that time FOC replacement were done. But the SVC guys got it repaired from a local radiator wala and it didn't trouble until i parted with it.

now its with a friend of mine. Haven't really seen in it in the past few months.

Attachments

Thread Starter #9
That's a very good and detailed ownership review buddy. [clap]

And looks like you keep doing a lot of stuff with your ride. Nice work, keep it up.

And your ride is looking great even after doing so many Kms on the ODO. Nicely maintained.
Thankyou Mate[:D]

Stock tyres are more than enough for R15. I had used R15's front tyre in my RTR for over 60k kms.

Well, my R15's Radiator started leaking after a while. Mine is form the initial batches of R15's (2008 July model). I noticed it very late ans by that time FOC replacement were done. But the SVC guys got it repaired from a local radiator wala and it didn't trouble until i parted with it.

now its with a friend of mine. Haven't really seen in it in the past few months.
Oops , Mine haven't showed any problem with radiator's till now!

Top Bottom