Storme'd: Yeah Me Too!

Thread Starter #1
This is an effort to compile a detailed account of the buying and usage experience of my Tata SAFARI STORME EX 4X2. It is a late start after nearly 55 days of purchase and please don’t be annoyed if the progress is also as slow. I would probably answer any queries in specific immediately though but lethargic me will probably not make up for the late start .

THE DECISION MAKING

Well the start of my buying and ownership experience will be slightly different as the decision making process as to which car to buy was within a very few options. There were no dusters, scorpio, innvova, used pajero’s or fortuners considered. Even after owning Tata vehicles for the last 11 years starting from the sierra- graduating to a safari tcic and then the safari3.0 versions (all used ones though) I still had my decision making process left with my heart and so safari it had to be, and the choice was between

a) used safari dicor 2.2vtt vx 4x4

b) new safari dicor 2.2vtt vx 4x4

c) new storme ex

d) new storme vx 4x4

Honestly I still had the fancy for the used safari dicor 3.0 vx which I bought 3years back, but then a browse through the Sunday classifieds for a used car for my sister sowed the seed of urge for a change of car. It was an advertisement for the sale of a safari dicor 2.2vtt vx 4x4 used for 8000kms in 14 months that was the root of this post here . The first look blew me over as it was nothing short of a new car, but as it usually happens with a used safari I undervalued it and started bargaining for 9.5 lakhs. The owner an intelligent gentleman stood his ground asking for 10.25 and I missed buying it as it was picked up by someone else . This intensified the urge in me for a change of car and I started convincing myself with reasons like my safari 3.0 vx completing 40000km after coming to me and all.

After a lot of contemplation over a period of 2 months and a test drive of the storme I made up my mind to go for a new storme and the decision to be made was between the storme ex or storme vx 4x4. Vx it had to be only for the 4x4. Depreciation of the Tata vehicles sort of tilted the balance towards ex and then the new ex came home on the evening of 6th July not before a lot of unwarranted issues and disappointments because of the dealer. The problems with the dealer started from the second day after booking the storme and I had to literally deal with multiple issues on a daily basis till the date of delivery of my storme. The actual process of delivery of the vehicle was a memorable one for which I would forgive all that I had to put up with till that day. Memorable for a dream turning into reality and the genuine effort of all the staff at the dealership to make it a special occasion for me.

Moving onto the actual process went to Detroit motors( test drive arranged by them), Malik motors, Tejaswini motors and Concorde motors L.B.Nagar befor booking and finally shortlisted Detroit motors and Concorde motors L.B.Nagar. Concorde motors L.B.Nagar actually got the deal but for me it was a regrettable decision but as I said earlier chose to trade off all the issues with them for the delivery day.

THE START OF A NEW RELATION AND THE INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

As it generally happens this new relation also started with a puja and meeting friends and relatives . At the time of delivery I bought a 4 piece mats set from the dealer. I also added a beige coloured pvc mat cut to custom size for the storme for additional carpet protection two days later. No other accessories added as yet but planning for an amplifier and sub soon. It was a sober start to the usage completely within city for the first one month during which I managed only 710 kms before giving it for the first service at Concorde uppal . The initial usage experience was very satisfying .The storme is remarkably different in many aspects to my safari3.0 dicor vx.

Not that the safari dicor3.0 vx is inferior in any way but to sum it up the storme held on to the character of the older safari’s well and was also refreshingly new .I did feel the noticeable pro’s and con’s vis a vis each other like lesser NVH levels in storme or the better seat comfort in the older one but both of them deserve respect individually for what they are. On the whole I sum up the impression at the end of the first month as satisfying. I guess it would have been good or maybe even excellent but for the first service.

DESCRIPTION OF THE FIRST SERVICE

I had three complaints made at the time of first service given as under

1. Brake dragging rear wheels heating up.

2. A/c leaking flow from feet position in all settings of the vent control.

3. Stereo remote working erratically

The service advisor noted down them well and gave me an approximate delivery time of 3.00pm which was adhered to but the status of the vehicle was as mentioned below.

1. Brake dragging - hand brake loosened problem solved.

2. A/c leaking from feet position – problem persists.

3. Stereo remote working erratically problem persists.

4. Vehicle odo shows usage of 20kms.

5. Windshield wiper cap missing.

6. Interior left as they were.

Disappointed with the above complained about them to the S.A. who surprised me with his answers. He said all Storme’s leak A/c through feet position to a certain extent and my vehicle was not abnormal. Regarding the stereo he wasn’t aware that the service centre had to do anything with it and wanted me to manage with it.

A small conversation later he understood I was not going to buy his answers and offered to check these complaints once again and wanted me to wait for a while. Being preoccupied with some other tasks left the service station asking him to call me back with an update . He did call me back after an hour saying he will need 3-4 days to completely open the a/c blower and rectify which I did not have as a goa trip was planned 2 days later and so had to take it back the next day as it was albeit after expressing displeasure at not even attempting to be transparent with respect to the complaints with the vehicle.

Fast forward to the first long drive 2 days later. Goa!!!! why not start a travelogue also….sure! but probably after making some progress on this thread. Will surely do hang on till then.

Would prefer to start with a few pictures.

pic 1- first look even before we reached the dealer. it actually reached the showroom travelling the route we did to reach the dealer

FIRSTLOOK1.JPG

pic 2- me formally taking the delivery from the sales advisor

DELIVERY1.JPG

pic 3- the side view(agreed could have been a better shot)

SIDE VIEW1.JPG

pic 4- siblings

SIBLINGS1.JPG

pic 5- siblings smiling for a pose

SIBLINGS TOGETHER1.JPG

pic 6- family shot

FAMILY1.JPG

more to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: STORME'D yeah me too!!

Congrats buddy !! for your new Storme. [clap]

Which color it is and you know that we look for lot of pics as usual[;)]

Thread Starter #4
Thanks RK and SINGH890. The part already compiled will follow soon. yes RK as you know now (seeing the pics) it is urban bronze. Yes SINGH890 rightly said.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new beast. Looks like a huge Storme gang there in Hyderabad. Enjoy your Goa trip.

Drive safely.

Congrats Shivram on getting this beast. One question how did u find the turning radius of this vehicle on the narrow roads of goa

Dear Shivram,

Good going. A new Tata at last for you[:)]! Congratulations.

Storme owners on this Forum have also reported of the water seepage problem through AC. Please get it rectified pronto as rust would be difficult to spot on the Urban Bronze colour :biggrin:.

On another note, how has been the ownership of the 3.0? Whats the total mileage on it's odo till now? I can see a non-stock exhaust on it, what's that and how does it perform? How about starting a separate thread for that brute too?

Regards,
Sam

Last edited:
Heartiest congratulations on your strome.Nice choice of shade looks out superb.Wish you many happy miles with it.
How many kms on odo it was while taking the deliveryof your strome?

Thread Starter #12
Congratulations on your new beast. Looks like a huge Storme gang there in Hyderabad. Enjoy your Goa trip.

Drive safely.
Thank you suhas . Yeah quite a few storme owners on the TAI from hyderabad. I am relatively new here so never met anyone in person. Gotta plan a meet.[:)]

Congrats Shivram on getting this beast. One question how did u find the turning radius of this vehicle on the narrow roads of goa
Thank you konkan trip. Never had a problem with the turning radius, it was easy to make u turns too. Marked improvement here over the older version.

Dear Shivram,

Good going. A new Tata at last for you[:)]! Congratulations.

Storme owners on this Forum have also reported of the water seepage problem through AC. Please get it rectified pronto as rust would be difficult to spot on the Urban Bronze colour :biggrin:.

On another note, how has been the ownership of the 3.0? Whats the total mileage on it's odo till now? I can see a non-stock exhaust on it, what's that and how does it perform? How about starting a separate thread for that brute too?

Regards,
Sam
Thank you Sam Dinkar. Yeah finally a new one. I have no water seeping problem in the A/c but the air flow leaks through the foot vents in all positions of the vent selector. My safari 3.0 has been a true performer putting up with what ever was thrown at him. Its a normal exhaust no modifications. I had the speedometer replaced on 78000 for a faulty tacho and now the meter shows 34000 so on the whole it did clock roughly 112000kms.

Congratulation Shivram, UB Beast really looks very good indeed!!!
Thank you very much Vicky Joshi. Had to ask you what date was your Astern black delivered, i guess your carbonado and my storme might have travelled together in the same truck from pune to hyderabad.

Congrats Shivaram Sir.I think you live at Habsiguda beside Varun motors right?I also live at Habsiguda,street no 4.
Thank you very much music_swift. Wow!! great that we stay so close to each other. Will have to surely meet very soon.

Heartiest congratulations on your strome.Nice choice of shade looks out superb.Wish you many happy miles with it.
How many kms on odo it was while taking the deliveryof your strome?
Thank you very much Vijay. It did 64 kms by the time of delivery.

Congratulations hydsafari for your UB Storme, wishing you many happy miles with your beast.
Thank you very much Mukesh.
And sorry mods did not know how to use the multi quote function.

@ hydsafari

Congrats buddy , the storme looks awesome . Wish you happy miles with it .
Thank you very much Raja.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #15
Congrats hydsafari on getting THE SUV!Does the steering column foul with the thighs?
Thank you draneeshpm. No the steering wheel does not foul with my thighs. I did feel it touch my legs a couple of times during ingress and egress maybe when the seat was drawn way too forward but never ever felt it happen when I was driving. My take on this is taller people will not draw their seat too forward to have this problem but shorter people MIGHT face greater issues in this regard and it should also be only during getting in and out from the driving positions .

Top Bottom