My journey to EcoSport Titanium (O) 1.5D The painful rejection (City)
From the start, my dream car was always a Honda City. At the start of 2011, I and my wife decided to buy my dream car and went to the showroom for a test drive.
City was very good car to drive with great interiors and build quality. We took the car to our favorite road for testing, which has a big speed breaker and many pot holes.
Even with at most care the City miserably scrapped the speed breaker. I upright rejected my dream car City with a painful heart. The Betrayal (Jazz)
And my wait continued, until we heard about the news that Honda Jazz price was reduced. After few months I went to Honda showroom again, and saw the Jazz in flesh, and I fell in love with the space management for under 4000 mm car Jazz, which has the best interior space, boot space and safety features.
Booked the top end Jazz in October 2011 and the SA promised that it will take 2 months at max to deliver the car, but in the booking document the waiting period mentioned as 4 months. And also I was not given a waiting list number.
Luck was not in our favor. Thailand floods played a spoil sport and I didn't get my car even by the end of March 2012, and worse thing is I never got any communication from Honda or Dealership about the delay in delivery. I started visiting the showroom to inquire my booking status, but never got credible reply about the delay or the delivery date. A faithful companion (Eon)
We needed a car, so I and my wife decided that we will first buy a small car for her, and the I can wait for some more time till I find my true love (car
). And thus cancelled Jazz booking, and Honda was happy to return my booking amount as they were then more focused on their new baby Brio than Jazz.
We purchased a Hyundai Eon in April 2012, a very good decision. First Encounter (EcoSport)
Some time in mid of 2012 I saw Ecosport photos in web, and started following it. The concept was too good and look wise it was gorgeous. Price availabilty was not known.
Mean while I took test drives of many cars (to name a few Fabia, Polo, Swift, Punto, Vento, Sunny etc) Infatuation (Duster)
One fine day I took test drive of Duster, first thing I noticed is the suspension, the ride was superb smooth, great boot space and good road presence. Duster missed in price, quality interiors, dated interior looks and safety features.
I decided to wait till Ecosport is launched. The Soul Mate (Ecosport)
On June 15th heard about the Pre bookings of Ecosport, and decided to visit the Lathangi Ford showroom. The Test Drive (TD) vehicle was available and a Kinetic Blue Top end Diesel Ecosport was on display.
My SA said it won't be possible to provide the Test Drive as there is a long queue. I told him if you give me the Test Drive today then I will book the vehicle today itself (If I like it).
Finally he agreed and that's how I took the shortest test drive of my entire TD experience of around 1 KM.
But it was enough as the route had speed breakers and one steep incline. This was my first Diesel test drive, and I never felt any difference from the petrol.
The power distribution was linear (till 50 kmph that's what maximum we reached in the TD). The stiffness in the suspension was evident, but we were only swayed and not thrown out, so it was OK for us.
I pre-booked the EcoSport Top End Diesel Kinetic Blue on 22nd June 2013, and started waiting the price and launch.
On 26th June I was waiting at a Railway station to receive my grand mother, but all this time I was only worried about the Ecosport Launch event.
Finally the price was revealed and it was 5.59 (starting), I was in Cloud 9 and I was sure that the Top End will not cross 12 lakhs on road in Bangalore.
On 3rd July I received call from about my vehicle allotment. It was very fast as we were expecting at least a month time for delivery, and now we started gearing our self for the purchase.
On 5th July we went to the showroom to receive the car, payed 4000 Rs for special number (which counts to 9). The car was parked in the basement, we decided to take a look before delivering.
As Ashada was about to start we wanted to take the delivery even before the final registration is completed.
Shock of my life, the car was scratched badly inside out (specially near the scuff area) as it was a display piece, the MID display was full of scratches, the interiors were not at all cleaned, leather seats were badly wrinkled and the center bottle holder bore heavy scratch marks.
SA said this is brand new car, as it is coming directly from stock yard, and its not a display piece.
After showing all the abuses on the Ecosport, they offered 3M treatment and Scuff plates. It was funny as scuff plates are to avoid scratches (apart from aesthetics) and he wants to cover the scratches using the scuff plates
I was adamant and denied to take the delivery. After a good 2 hours, the GM promised that he will provide a replacement but only Silver and Sea Grey is available.
As there was no display car of same color, SA showed us a Sea Grey Figo. We agreed for Sea Grey, as the payment was already made and we wanted the car. D-Day (Delivery Day)
On 8th July I took the delivery of my Ecosport in the evening time, without any photos, not even a band (which is tied on the bonnet) on the car. Still I distributed sweets to the dealership team.
The SA didn't even explained about the basic features of the car. I was struggling to find the head light switch.
I felt that the dealership didn't even cared me as a customer. My experience while purchasing an under 4 lakh Eon was much better, as the Hyundai guys treated me as king (customer is king). First 1000 KMs with my Soul Mate (Ecosport) Initial hiccups:
1. Diesel Recall, imagine a newly purchased vehicle is recalled and you have to go all the way to Service station and give them the car for around 8 hours (Took long time because of some technical issue at their end).
2. Turn indicator control, as I used to accidentally pressed the wipers every time when I wanted to turn. At the start I did the mistake like 20 times, now the frequency is reduce though.
3. Bluetooth connection setup, my Galaxy S3 was having some problem with remembering the Bluetooth connection, the recent firmware of S3 upgrade solve it.
4. Reversing the vehicle, I got really used to the rear view reverse assist camera on my little Eon. As my parking space is little tricky, I was about to hit the vehicle to a pillar as I was not concentrating the sensors. Once I understood the sensor reading and concentrated on the warning beeper, till now I didn't face major problem.
5. Mileage, in the initial 600 KMs I was getting mileage below 13 kmpl, but now it is increased, as the average shows 14.9 kmpl. I am yet do the tank full technique.
6. Sometimes it hard to put the car in first gear, and few times the reverse great also gets struck. Need to check with the service center guys. Positives:
1. Steering feedback, I really love the feedback of Ecosport as mentioned in my other reviews the feedback is ideal.
2. Boot space, sufficient as I was able to fit my baby stroller (which is little big and doesn't fit in Eon/Swift boot)
3. Button start and Key-less entry, I love this feature as its practical and good way to show off.
4. Audio system (Sync, FM, Bluetooth and speakers), I felt this is a perfect package, as the speakers are powerful enough and the call quality and FM reception is also great.
5. A very comfortable seating position, the seat adjustment is too good, easy to find the most comfortable setting.
6. Gives confidence while overtaking, never feels out of power (I am sedate driver but sometimes you know).
7. Superb braking, once I didn't notice a big speed bump (a new one near Jayadeva flyover towards Bannergatta road), but the breaking power saved me. Missing features:
1. Tweeters should have been provided on Top end.
2. Retracable ORVMs.
3. Auto sensing vipers. Negatives:
1. Stiff suspension, its OK but could have been better.
2. So many settings and huge learning curve. My auto Climate control sets the blower speed to high. Ford should have provided a video demonstration.
3. AC blower at higher than 1 speed is noisy, but I felt the starting speed itself is sufficient for Bangalore climate.
4. Doors doesn't close easily, need to put more effort to close them, hope after a while the stiffness reduces. Accessories:
1. Scuff plates (yet to arrive, ordered from AliExpress).
2. Leather Key cover (yet to arrive, ordered from AliExpress)
3. IRVM with display and Reverse camera (Not available at the dealership) 3M Services
1. 3M Anti Corrosion Treatment (5 years warranty) - Car size Medium size - 3190 Rs
2. 3M Paint Sealant - Essential - Medium - 3290 Rs
3. Scotchgard PPF (Paint protection Film) 4 Door edges - 590 Rs
4. Scotchgard PPF 4 Handles - 590 Rs
5. Scotchgard PPF Rear View Mirrors - 890 Rs
6. Scotchgard PPF Running Board (or Scuff area) - 1090 Rs
7. Scotchgard PPF - Extra Application (31.5 sqft) - 11403 Rs
Discount was 1000 Rs (for combo Rust protection and Pain Sealant)
Including taxes the total expense = 21645 Rs.
I have gone overboard and I spent a fortune on PPF on whole front bumper, rear wheel arch, whole sides after the door. I will put a new photo with marked places where I got the PPF done.
Not sure it was worth spending so much money on PPF, but I couldn't stop myself on that day.
I will update this thread with more details. Yet to take my soul mate (Ecosport) on a high way trip, planning for a short 100 km trip this Sunday.
I have skipped the pricing details, general positives/negatives and other information. But still lot to read. If any one had specific question, please feel free to ask.
Happy motoring guys