No-Nonsense Car With Built-in Savings Solution: Maruti Wagon-R Lxi CNG

Thread Starter #1
I cant believe I am sharing my second ownership review in the same year!!! [clap] For over a month or probably almost 2 months, we had been looking for an ideal replacement to my Swift Vdi August 2009 model, already clocked 80k kms, due for works w.r.t. clutch repair , front suspension and some under body and engine compartment, it was time to bid farewell to our first car after marriage that obviously was very close to both of us and trust me the decision had to be a very calculative one! [thinking]

We purchased Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX VTVT in February this year only and needed a second car for daily run of around 70 kms as I need to take the car on field due to nature of my work, hence a CNG option. I prepared Fuel efficiency comparison charts in Excel while comparing Current situation of Swift + Verna, Verna alone and Verna + CNG car. As per my calculations that included EMI cost, running cost and fuel cost, the current situation was the most expensive and having Verna and CNG car combination yielding me around 4000-5000 per month saving and Rs. 1 lac as cash in hand so it had to be a CNG Car plus Verna combination.

The next decision was to decide between two of the shortlisted cars among initial choices of Honda Brio Ex, WagonR Lxi with company fitted CNG and Hyundai i10 1.2 Magna with Dealer fitted CNG. Honda Brio was out of contest based on the fact that it was only petrol and CNG was not available so competition was between WagonR and Hyundai i10.

With Grand i10 coming in there were great discounts offered by Hyundai and they even valued my Swift better but WagonR being front runner and hot selling model were little tough to crack a good deal. I really had to negotiate a lot to get any freebies and good value for my existing car.

i10 1.2 Magna CNG -

On Road 599000
Cash Disc incl of Corp Disc - 46000
Old Car vlaue incl. of 30k exchange Bonus - 365000
Add on - Mats, Mud flaps, Teflon and Under body coating
3000 extra for Zero Dep insurance

WagonR Lxi CNG

On Road 521659
Cash Disc 30000
Car Value incl of 25000 exchange bonus - 353000
Add on - Mats, Mud flaps, Teflon, Under body coating, Reverse parking sensors and Remote Locking
Zero Dep insurance

So if you see WagonR was around Rs.50000 cheaper with low maintenance cost and company fitted CNG.

Things in favor of i10 were

1. 1.2 L Kappa engine (4 Cylinder) with 80 ps power at 6000 rpm vs 1.0 L K series engine (3 pot) 68 ps at 6200 rpm, Torque of 90@3500 vs 114@4000
2. i10 had little better build quality, looks and probably more stability due to car dynamics
3. i10 was 120 mm wider than WagonR although doesnt feel like due to WagonR with height
4. Body colored door handles, ORVMs with Turn indicators, All 4 power windows

Things in favor of WagonR

1. More sold car than i10 CNG as it is company fitted, almost 0% error rate (BIGGEST PLUS, FULL PEACE OF MIND)
2. Rear seat 60:40 split to accommodate luggage with boot accomodating only CNG Cylinder
3. Lower price Tag, Lower maintenance cost
4. CNG fueling from Normal hose and Suspension tuned to CNG kit weight
5. Since I have a Dog and he needs good space at the back, hence was more practical [:-)] Windows also rolled down completely!

I really had to convince my wife for WagonR as she was not sure of the looks of the car but we needed a practical low cost car and downgrading from Swift to a CNG was also once concern with her but with the cost savings and the overall benefits of owning a WagonR, we both were convinced and finally could decide on WagonR. Test driving of both the cars did not help much as both had its own positives and negatives but good thing about WagonR was that it had better ergonomic interiors with full of utilities. So much space well utilized, I mean great work by designers!

We are now getting the delivery tentatively on Sep 2nd. I shall keep you guys posted on the same! [:)]

Last edited:
Re: No Nonsense Car with built in Savings solution - WagonR Lxi CNG

Brother very nicely writeen review . And you made a very practical choice .

What is the mileage you are getting in your car in the cng mode ? And specially in full city traffic of Mumbai can you pls tell ?

And what about the pictures buddy ? We need many pics including the boot and how the cng tank is placed .

Thread Starter #3

Thanks Raja! I am yet to get the delivery. I will definitely share images. As far as FE is considered I did calculation on 18 km per kg based on reviews available online.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Congrats on booking wagonR. I wished you have bought the i10[:D] But it's your choice, your car. [;)]

So which color did you book?

Thread Starter #5

Congrats on booking wagonR. I wished you have bought the i10[:D] But it's your choice, your car. [;)]

So which color did you book?
I know friend but since I was looking to minimize my expenses, I chose WagonR. I know you were in favor of i10 but then considering maintenance cost and initial cost, I chose it. Contest was very close and preferably if had been considering only petrol then it would have been i10 thumbs down but factory fitted CNG will definitely have its own advantage. Car is for city use and I am 6'2" tall, WagonR was more comfortable. [:)]

Color is Silky Silver!

Thread Starter #6
Due to get the delivery on Monday. I am excited to see how my monthly fuel cost is going to reduce :-)

I am getting Wheel covers installed that I am not getting of a good quality and with Suzuki badge from outside.

Confused about which 2 din player to put that should have Bluetooth. Have seen Pioneer FH X759BT, Sony x99bt and JVC 700BT. Least expensive is Pioneer but is too bright for my choice. JVC has the best looks but is very expensive. Almost 2000 3000 more than Pioneer. Sony I have heard some bad reviews about not being able to read usb faster.

congrats buddy, even i have booked my 2nd wagonr r bakers chocolate, but this time its t permit.might get my delivery on coming wednesday.

Thread Starter #8
So the day is tomorrow when I will get the delivery of my car. Excited??? Yes for sure! I am so excited to start driving WagonR again that I used to drive in 2005, but it has come a long way since then. Always objected and at times questioned for its looks, back then also, but an owner can only understand how beautiful the car is as it always not the looks but the heart that matters. I will put images and review on the delivery process soon. Thanks all!

Thread Starter #9
So finally got the car delivered day before on the auspicious day of Ganpati Chaturthi! The car was kept ready and since I had asked not to put any stickers etc. so they did not put up any additional stickers, not even the ribbons...ha ha...SE explained the manuals and everything in detail. I had requested for color matching rear parking sensors (FoC) so that he did manage to do. Remote locking from Nippon was installed. Mats and Mud flaps are also genuine. Under body coating was nicely done. I did make sure to check it completely. It was still little moist. Teflon obviously you cant make out so not commenting on that. It was just a freebie!

They gave 5 lts petrol and 4 kg gas at the time of delivery. Speedo was 51 kms and when asked he said they get the car, it is usually in a range of 10-15 kms and since their warehouse is in Bhivandi and they have a passing of 150 kms from Maruti to deliver a car so they drive from warehouse to the dealership. For more than 150 kms they use a trailor. Anyhow I had already done the PDI and VIN check up so was not much worried and did buy his explanation. :-)

Coming to the car, the car looks stylish with its fresh interiors. Engine doesn't seem under powered at all. In fact you don't even realize the speeds you are driving at. Car approximations are perfect. Seating is as always great. Since I have already had WagonR in 2004-2007, I can definitely vouch for the fact that Maruti has made WagonR awesomely comfortable and kept all the utilities intact from best utilization of the space, technology advancements and top of it CNG that is company fitted.

I have also got Pioneer FH-X759BT Head unit installed with 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. I will be getting bumper protectors and steering wheel leather cover stitched. So far so good!

I will post images soon. Car is little dirty due to rain mud and all. :-)

So finally got the car delivered day before on the auspicious day of Ganpati Chaturthi! The car was kept ready and since I had asked not to put any stickers etc. so they did not put up any additional stickers, not even the ribbons...ha ha...SE explained the manuals and everything in detail. I had requested for color matching rear parking sensors (FoC) so that he did manage to do. Remote locking from Nippon was installed. Mats and Mud flaps are also genuine. Under body coating was nicely done. I did make sure to check it completely. It was still little moist. Teflon obviously you cant make out so not commenting on that. It was just a freebie!

They gave 5 lts petrol and 4 kg gas at the time of delivery. Speedo was 51 kms and when asked he said they get the car, it is usually in a range of 10-15 kms and since their warehouse is in Bhivandi and they have a passing of 150 kms from Maruti to deliver a car so they drive from warehouse to the dealership. For more than 150 kms they use a trailor. Anyhow I had already done the PDI and VIN check up so was not much worried and did buy his explanation. :-)

Coming to the car, the car looks stylish with its fresh interiors. Engine doesn't seem under powered at all. In fact you don't even realize the speeds you are driving at. Car approximations are perfect. Seating is as always great. Since I have already had WagonR in 2004-2007, I can definitely vouch for the fact that Maruti has made WagonR awesomely comfortable and kept all the utilities intact from best utilization of the space, technology advancements and top of it CNG that is company fitted.

I have also got Pioneer FH-X759BT Head unit installed with 4 speakers and 2 tweeters. I will be getting bumper protectors and steering wheel leather cover stitched. So far so good!

I will post images soon. Car is little dirty due to rain mud and all. :-)
5 ltr of petrol and 4 kg of gas? i got only 4 ltr of petrol[frustration]
for your info i also got my t permit today only ,soon will be starting my separate thread. congrats btw. waggitarians rock..

Thread Starter #11
First refill from empty cylinder. 7.5 kg gas filled in afternoon. It will be more if filled in the mornings. So far driven 170 kms and indicator is on red. I think I will get anywhere between 20-24 kmpk FE.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Where are the pics :/ upload them :p

It will cost you 2.5-3rupees per kilometer. I'll ask my friend how much he's getting. He has completed 30000kms. And at every 10k he gets his car serviced for 5k.

Hi sumzupdis,

Can you lay out the HU and the components you have fitted for your Wagon R and the respective costs for the same?

I am planning to upgrade the stock audio system in Wagon R Vxi.

Top Bottom