Maruti Dzire Tour Modified To Dzire VDi – An Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,

This is going to be long post with lots of pictures and details of all the cars I drove before finalizing on Dzire Tour LDi and explanations for why I went for Tour even though new Dzire was readily available.

Owning a car was a dream that i started dreaming the very first time i drove a car back when i was studying in 10th standard. Back then our car was Peacock Green 94 model Maruti Suzuki M-800 which was one of the best car we ever owned. We had a trouble free ownership experience of 15 years with our cute M-800. In 2009 we made back to back purchases one being my bike Honda Unicorn and other being my Dad's Hyundai i10 which replaced our beloved M-800.

Decision on purchase:-

Passed out of college in 2010. During my college days my parents strictly forbid me from ever taking our car to college. Dad would say - "No need to show off to friends with our car. Get a job after college and buy one for yourself.". I would reply (in my mind of course) "Thinks He owns a Ferrari. After all it's just a normal family hatchback". Moving on, after college i did networking courses for 2-3 months and then got my first job. Salary was very low and even maintaining my bike with my salary was very difficult. Life went on for almost a year and one fine day on May 2011 got a call from HR of my current IT company that they have an opening and want to schedule an interview. By next week got the offer letter and had an excellent offer that till now i thought only big MNC would be ready to offer. Joined their in June 2011 and within 6 months found i had some good saving as i didn't have to spend on food or lodging and the only expense was commuting which came at 1k per month due my very efficient Unicorn. Within 10 months i spoke to my parents about owning a Diesel car as my running has increased to 50km/day. Initially both Dad and mom rejected the idea outright saying i am too young to own a car. At 24 years of age no one in the family owned a car so no need for a car now. I found this reason too unfair and would shout back

"I didn't ask for your advise. I just said I am going to buy a Diesel car. Just wanted to inform you both"

But in reality i would never cross my parents and will never do anything that would hurt them or make them sad. So thoughts of owning a car was dropped but i was in for a big surprise.

One fine day dad told me his bank had an offer for managers and there was an attractive scheme for car loans. Being Chief Manager of reputed Nationalized Bank he would get a car loan upto 7Lakhs @ 6% simple interest. The EMI would also be very attractive. He asked me to checkout the cars that came with ex-showroom price in range of 7Lakhs. Shocked and surprised i went happily to dealers for inquiry from the very next day.

Priorities:-

Parent's Priorities:-

Should be below 8lakhs OTR strictly not a penny more
Needs to be good looker
Should have adequate space in rear seats
Good resale value
Must be cheap to maintain and spares shouldn't be costly
Good fuel efficiency

My Priorities:-

Should be a looker and should be modifier friendly.
Rear seat comfort should be very high(My main consideration for my dear parents)
Should have good driving dynamics and steering feel
Should be easy to maintain and service
Should have adequate features and should be VFM product
My running of 50km per day means it should a diesel.
Should have good ride and handling along with adequate performance
Should have large boot as in future i am planning for twin SPL subwoofers
Should have good built quality.

Test Drives:-

Initial inquires made it very clear that all diesel sedans where out of my budget. Heck even some of the hatchbacks were also out of my budget like full option i20 and Fiat Punto 90HP. My budget was 8 Lakhs OTR. So test drove the following cars:-

Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi
Fiat Punto 75HP
Ford Figo
Tata Vista MJD
Nissian Micra
VW Polo TDi

1) Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi:-

One of the best all rounder currently available in India. I wend to checkout the Swift on a Saturday with my friend. Swift had the backing from my parents as it was known to be very reliable and cost of spares and maintenance would be very low. Resale value would be very good for Swift, being in an IT industry i might get a chance to relocate abroad and my parents don't wish to maintain a diesel car. Swift had an added advantage of 4 dealers in Trivandrum and more than 6 service stations between them. Being a Maruthi it would be cheap to maintain and Swift being very popular had good resale value. On reaching showroom SA attended me promptly and we took a TD after initial chat on price of the car. Car was really good to drive, handling was very neutral and also was a bit sporty in nature. Interiors felt very sporty and i felt Swift was overall a very attractive package. Negatives i felt about Swift was that the Turbo feel that came after 1800-2000 rpm in Old Swift was absent in the new one. Also rear seats felt very cramped after i had adjusted the drivers seat for my height which is 5feet 11" and boot space was comparable to our i10 which was not acceptable to me. OTR of 8 Lakhs was a shocker considering old Swift VDi with ABS sold at OTR of 6 Lakhs and I somehow felt Swift to be overpriced. But Swift still remained an option in my list due to a long list of advantages it possessed.

2) Fiat Punto 75HP:-

Walked into the showroom of Fiat-Tata dealership and found a Fiat Punto Emotion in display. Hard to believe this is a 5-6 year old design. Stunning looking car which will stand out in any crowd if maintained properly (regular washing and polishing). SA showed me the car and went on about it's tough built quality, good feature list, fuel efficient engine and over all stunning Italian design. I was mighty impressed by the car but when i had a look at the interiors i was totally let down. When exterior design of the car looked stunning interior design shouted this was designed 5 years back. This became a big negative for me about Punto but still asked SA for a TD and he brought the TD car home next week. My dad has stayed back just t have a look of the car. The TD car would probably be the worst maintained Punto in Kerala. Was covered i mud from top to bottom and i felt like car had gone off roading for some time. Dad didn't even get into the car for TD and went off to office disappointed. Reluctantly i took the TD and it also started off badly. I felt Punto had very average performance and didn't feel like it had the same engine as Swift. Had very noticeable Turbolag and the car was very sluggish to drive. I took the TD car through some turns and immediately understood why Punto is a favorite among car enthusiast. This car loves corners and has awesome steering feel. Hydraulic power steering was way ahead in this aspect to EPS. Also Punto felt far stable to drive at high speeds. Parents told me a strict No towards Punto but i still had her in my options list.

3) Ford Figo:-

Most affordable car in this segment but Dad told me not to thing about Figo any further as He felt it was way small compared to others. Also he felt Ford doesn't have any resale value and are very expensive to maintain. I also felt Figo to be outdated for my needs and even in full option doesn't come with power windows for rear doors. Dropped off the list.

4)Tata Vista MJD:-

Had good features and was very VFM for all it offered but Dad told me not to even take a TD as he didn't want me to own a Vista due to Taxi image associated with the car. Also TASS was very poor in Trivandrum and my colleague himself had lots of issues during his ownership of Vista. Dropped off the list.

5) Nissian Micra:-

Dealer had just setup shop in my city and didn't have TD vehicle. Still i went to check out the car but SA attitude was very poor and he was least interested in showing me the car. Dropped off the list.

6) VW Polo TDi:-

Looked understated but very stylish. Excellent built quality and interiors shouted quality everywhere. Dad was mighty impressed for the first time felt we had a better option than Swift. We immediately went for a TD and this is were all wend wrong for Polo. Once we fired up the TD car and Dad who was standing outside with SA immediately had a change of expression. I also felt the engine to be noisy because i could feel the engine sound inside the cabin. On inquiry SA told me it's due to abused TD car and normal Polo wouldn't be noisy. I immediately asked him to start a nearby Polo which was a customer's car which had come for first service and it also sounded very noisy. SA didn't say a word and i asked dad to proceed further with TD. Everything went well, Polo had very neutral handling, good stability and good ride. Dad also liked the rear seat comfort. After TD we checked out the prices and was shocked to find the OTR price of Highline model was 8.6 lakhs. We both came to conclusion that for this price it offered to little features and was very overpriced.(Within a month or two VW launched the revised Polo with lots of new features and revised price tag). Also a very close friend who installed a small ICE in his Vento was told his warranty is totally void because he had installed parts from outside the dealer and the arrogant attitude of thinking about themselves to be a high value brand made me drop plans for Polo. Dropped off the list.

Purchase postponed:-

One fine day when i was at office after all the TD had been completed, SA from Tata-Fiat dealer called me to inform me of offers available for Fiat Punto 75HP. I bargained a lot and was amazed by the offer they provided. Apparently the car is not selling well because they offered me discounts close to 1 lakh from OTR price and the final OTR price came at 6.70 Lakhs for the fully loaded Emotion variant. I persuaded my parents and was was finally able to convince them on the purchase.. Next day as i was off to showroom for booking Fiat Punto Dad called me and asked me to meet him at his office immediately. On reaching their i found out this -Our loan couldn't be sanctioned because our current car needs to be 4 years old before we can apply for a new car loan under the employee scheme and our i10 would complete 4 years by March 2013 only. So dad asked me to wait till March 2013 and i was totally heart broken.

Fast Forward to January 2013:-

With just 2 months to go before i started the TD process all over again but now my priorities changed. I am spending this much and the car would stay with me for a long time so why not look at some entry level sedan? Also paying 8 lakhs for hatchback was not a VFM option my any means.

My options were:-

Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire VDi
Fiesta Classic
Tata Manza MJD
Fiat Linea MJD

1) Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire VDi:-

Myself and dad went to dealer to check out the New Dzire. On seeing the car we both felt it didn't look like a proper sedan compared to Fiesta, Linea or Manza. TD was ok and it had all advantages of Swift but somehow it felt very similar to a hatchback and dad also told me "From some angles you won't differentiate Swift from Dzire then why spending 75k extra on this?". So dropped this from list.

2) Fiesta Classic:-

We were greeted by an SA who was least interested in showing us the car. Also told us TD vehicle is not available he doesn't know the reason behind this. We told him that we will come again and he also assured us that he will contact us when TD vehicle is available. Till now he has not contacted us. So dropped this from list.

3) Tata Manza MJD:-

Very same to Vista - Had good features and was very VFM for all it offered but Dad told me not to even take a TD as he didn't want me to own a Manza due to Taxi image associated with the car. Also TASS was very poor in Trivandrum and my colleague himself had lots of issues during his ownership of Vista. Dropped off the list. Dad forced me to drop this from list.

4) Fiat Linea MJD:-

Felt the same with Punto TD and also had lots o boot space and looked very stylish. Also was slightly more stable than Punto at high speeds. But even bas model active costs 9 lakhs OTR. Discounts were available but this car was simply not in my budget. So dropped this from list.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Ownership of Old Generation Dzire Tour modded to Dzire VDi.

My decision:-

So no sedans were available so should i book Fiat Punto again? Was so confused. Also the New Polo was much better option now with revised pricing and lots of new features. One fine day while riding back to home from my office came across a old model Dzire with temporary registration. Immediately followed the car and found the stickers Dzire Tour. Googled them immediately and found out to my utter joy that Dzire Tour is available for private buyers. It is basically Dzire LDI with all advantages of old generation Dzire. Called Dad and told him about this new information and he also got a bit excited. We both went to showroom and inquired about Dzire Tour. SA immediately told me it's now available for Taxi segment only and not for private users. I forced him to check with his manager and he also talked to someone from "Maruti's Corporate Office" and told me it's not available for private use. I was disappointed and we returned home. Next day dad called up another dealer and asked him about Dzire Tour for private registration and he immediately replied it's available. On hearing the news i double checked with many people at dealer including their senior managers and everyone told me it's available. And the most important criteria Dzire Tour LDi OTR is 6.75 Lakhs which means i can do a lot of customizing in my car. That's it checked an auspicious date and booked my very first car Dzire Tour LDi.[clap]. Promised delivery date was 15 days. Two days before delivery date we did full payment after i did a complete PDI in their stockyard.

Dealership Experience:-

I would rate dealership experience 2/10. The worst experience we had ever while taking delivery of our car. First just a day before delivery we were informed that form 22 which came with the car was misplaced and they won't be able to register my car. They will do temporary registration after they have received form 22 from Maruthi Suzuki they would register my car which would take 10-15 working days. Furious i shouted at almost all employees at dealership but they seemed not to care as if i had lost the form 22. Also we were asked to be at the dealership by 5pm and my car was delivered to me by 9:30pm and that's more than 4 hours of waiting time. I kept the pressure on them and they somehow managed to find my car's form 22 and they registered my car 3 days after the date of delivery.

Initial Ownership Report:-

Exteriors:-

Looks dull with black bumpers, no left mirror,black door handles, black plastic stripe instead of chrome in Original Dzire and some very poor Dzire Tour stickers. I have changed all this and have brought my car back to look similar to Dzire VDi with new stickers, chrome strip instead of plastic ones and painting the bumpers, mirrors and door handles. Looks good in my opinion.

Interiors:-

Dull interiors but i have tried to mod the interiors with some small stickering job. Still looks dull but at 6.75 Lakhs you won't get everything na?

Engine Performance, Gearbox and Braking:-

Engine feels refined for a diesel unit, has good performance and is a quick sprinter compared to competition. After 1800rpm you do feel the push into the seats feeling and it's very addictive. Gearbox is a gem to use with very well sorted gear ratios. Initially i felt difficulty slotting into reverse gear which i felt gradually decreasing after 500kms in odo. Brakes are very poor for the speeds it can manage. It can easily manage 140-150km/hr but braking at those speeds are very dangerous.It just doesn't stop t high speeds. But at lower speeds it's adequate.

Suspension and Tires:-

Had excellent ride quality with neutral handling. I felt handling a bit sporty too and also felt the Dzire to be agile as well probably due to the low kerb weight. It came shod with Bridgestone 165/80 R14 tires. they won't provide adequate grip during high speed runs or during heavy rains but are adequate for normal usage. A friend if mine asked me to maintain tire pressure at 33 psi on all four tires as in manual it was given as 36 psi for front tires and 33 psi for rear. My friend made fun of Maruti saying it's not advisable and they don't know what they are doing and only want high FE. I felt good amount of change in ride quality which became poor after changing tire pressure to 33 psi and also affected FE. So changed back to company specs and it is 36 psi for front and 33 psi for rear. After all manufacturer does know what he is doing and i will follow the manual only.

Fuel Efficiency:-

Gives excellent mileage all around. Gives me 17-18KM/L consistently in city and 23-24KM/L in highway driving conditions calculated using tankful to tankful method. Very happy on this and hope it stays like this forever.

Accessories installed in my car:-

Exteriors:-

1) Left Mirror and garnish. (Dzire Tour comes with right mirror only )

2) Front, rear bumper painting, all four door handle painting and left/right mirror painting.

3) Front grill assembly and 4 chrome strips for grill.(Dzire Tour comes with Old generation Swift front grill) and Suzuki logo for front grill.

4) Rear chrome garnish stripe.(In place of chrome stripe Dzire Tour comes with black plastic stripe)

5) Dzire's side beeding.

6) Old Generation Dzire's door visor

7) Dzire's Mudflap (Painted body colored.).

8) Maruti Suzuki chrome sticker, Swift Dzire chrome sticker, VDi chrome sticker. (Dzire Tour has black plastic sticker in place of chrome stickers for Old gen Dzire)

9) Chrome exhaust tips.

10) Rear spoiler for that extra sporty look.

11) HR 14" alloy wheels in Matt black finish

12) Carbon Fiber vinyl stickering in top.

Interiors:-

1) Faux wood interior styling kit which includes Dashboard and all four door pads.

2) Silver finish gear nob. (Dzire Tour had all black nob)

3) Art leather seat covers.

4) Leather wrapped steering grip

5) 3D Floor mats

Changes to Electricals:-

1) Fog lamps

2) Upgrading bulbs from 60/55 bulbs to Philips 130/100 bulbs(need additional headlight wiring relay for this upgrade)

3) Central locking and remote locking system.

4) Four door power window.

5) Reverse parking sensors with voice indicator.

6) Reverse camera (To be connect to pioneer head unit).

7) Roots dual horn with relay.

Thread Starter #3

ICE System:-

1) Head Unit - Pioneer AVH-X5590BT

2) Front Speaker - Rainbow DLC C6.2 component speakers

3) Rear Speaker - Rockford Fosgate Prime R16-S component speakers

4) Amplifier - DD Audio C4C 4 channel amplifier

5) Subwoofer - Focal P-30 12in with custom enclosure

6) Soundstream 4wg Amplifier Wiring Kit

Now it's enough let the pics do the talking from here:-

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Thread Starter #4

Some more pics:-

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

43.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Please bear with me if i had made any mistakes during this ownership report. Also the TD reviews are what i felt about the cars after TD. No offence meant to any owners of these cars please.

Would like your comments on my ownership report and well as advise on improving my car.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #5

So you guys will ask me - "I had 8lakhs OTR price tag at your disposal still why did you go for a car which has OTR of 6.75lakhs"

My reasons:-

1) Firstly i have always dreamed about owning an old generation Dzire. Was heart broken when i found out that they have stopped the Dzire and brought the much smaller New Dzire.

2) I wanted a lot of boot space as i am planning to go for 2 SPL subwoofers in future. Currently boot holds one SQ subwoofer and has acres of space available.

3) Price tag of 6.75lakhs OTR was too good. As it is a bare bone car I will have spend on almost every electrical bit in the car. I ended up spending 50k for painting bumpers/mirrors, buying spares like gear nob, rear chrome stripe, front grill and stickers, installed power windows, central and remote locking with up function (If you switched off the engine, got out of car and then found out that windows is not fully up just press the lock button in remote and all glasses will go up by itself.), fog lamps, Philips 130/100w headlight bulb will relay, Roots horn, Art Leather seats, 3D mats and miscellaneous items. All this came at 50k. So total costs of conversion came at 7.25 lakhs after conversion to VDi specification.

3) ICE costed me 75k but it shouldn't be considered as in future will be spending more than 2 lakhs for SPL setup. Still even after ICE install my car's overall cost came at 8 Lakhs which was the initial budget set by myself.

Overall experience:-

I am totally in love with the car as after the install everything seems to be fine without any issues. I don't know if their are rattling in the car as i play my ICE every time i get into the car. At 25-30% volume i don't even hear horn sound of other cars let alone rattling. Interiors are dull but i might spruce them up in near future.

Car is exciting to drive especially due to good acceleration, turbo kick at 1800rpm is truly addictive and gearbox has some very well tuned gear ratios. Initially felt the hard steering feel to be bit of an issue as i have migrated from i10 but now i am in love with the steering feel and would never by a car with light steering response ever again.Handling is bit sporty in nature and i feel the car to be very agile and want's it to be pushed hard which i will never do in my lifetime (Have only done 150Km/Hr in an good highway just to check the top end and it was still pushing. Can achieve far higher speeds with ease.). Handling and Grip would improve further when I upgrade to 15" alloys and tires but need to sort out the braking which is just average. After warranty period i plan to do a brake upgradation from Pete's.

To conclude I am very happy that i chose old generation Dzire as it meets all my criteria and i am hoping i will have a trouble free ownership for many more years to come.[:D]

Regards,
Sankar

Last edited:

Wow!Sankar.I m impressed with your review.Dzire at 6.75L is just excellent.The most awaiting ownership thread is yours only.

Thread Starter #7

Wow!Sankar.I m impressed with your review.Dzire at 6.75L is just excellent.The most awaiting ownership thread is yours only.
Thanks Abhinav for the kind words. Yes I was also shocked by the OTR price of 6.75L. Now a days, 7Lakhs will get you a mid variant of hatchbacks only. Couldn't believe i ended up owing a full fledged sedan at this price point[:)]

Regards,
Sankar

Congrats sankar for your new acquisition [clap]an that's a good deal you got.

And all the mods are carried out very nicely hence giving your car a nice look.

I found many Dzire Tours with private registrations at Hyderabad.OTR of Tour is 6.85L in Hyderabad.I think it will be a replacement of our Innova.

Sankar-I loved your Dzire in first sight after seeing the pics.

Last edited:
Looks like you are happy with your great choice and you are indeed lucky to have got your choice even after Maruti has changed the model.

Pictures are very nice and clear and brings out all the modifications very well.

Thread Starter #11

Congrats sankar for your new acquisition [clap]an that's a good deal you got.

And all the mods are carried out very nicely hence giving your car a nice look.
Thanks singh890. Actually the dealer didn't give me any discount at all. Also no freebies were given (which you would get with almost every car out there like mudflaps or door guard). It's Maruthi who priced the car this low and it undercuts almost all hatchbacks let alone diesel sedans in out market today. I am so happy with my decision and I am glad you liked all the mods that i have done on my ride.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #12

I found many Dzire Tours with private registrations at Hyderabad.OTR of Tour is 6.85L in Hyderabad.I think it will be a replacement of our Innova.

Sankar-I loved your Dzire in first sight after seeing the pics.
Thanks Abhinav. Once i go for 15" Lenso Conquista 4 replica alloys and Michelin XM2 I am sure my car would look better. Driving my car around during heavy rains is a bit of concern as stock tires don't provide adequate grip during braking.

In between i thought you will be going for New Swift.Have you changed plans[;)]

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #13
Re: Maruti Swift Dzire Modified To Dzire VDi – An Ownership Review.

Looks like you are happy with your great choice and you are indeed lucky to have got your choice even after Maruti has changed the model.

Pictures are very nice and clear and brings out all the modifications very well.
Thanks for the kind words[:)]

Actually old generation Dzire is still available for sale as Dzire Tour with OTR of 6.7L approx.

Regards,
Sankar

Thanks Abhinav. Once i go for 15" Lenso Conquista 4 replica alloys and Michelin XM2 I am sure my car would look better. Driving my car around during heavy rains is a bit of concern as stock tires don't provide adequate grip during braking.

In between i thought you will be going for New Swift.Have you changed plans[;)]

Regards,
Sankar
Not yet.Planning to go for a Used Verna,Dzire or Fiesta Classic or Used i20 Diesel or Punto Diesel.Had considered new vehicles like Swift,Figo,Liva too.but,in end,what happens,I don't know.

Thread Starter #15

Not yet.Planning to go for a Used Verna,Dzire or Fiesta Classic or Used i20 Diesel or Punto Diesel.Had considered new vehicles like Swift,Figo,Liva too.but,in end,what happens,I don't know.
Used Dzire, Verna and i20 would be very costly in second hand market. Better try to get Fiesta Classic or Punto as they have good deals and would also a good driver's car.

Regards,
Sankar

Top Bottom