Maruti Swift ZDi - Snow White Completes 1 Year!

Thread Starter #1
Prologue

There was no need to buy a new car,still as luck would have it, had some different plans which were about to unfold.It all started with a small accident.Relax all, it was a minor one and nobody got hurt! Read on friends...

The accident/incident story - Early July 2012

One fine day, my brother miscalculated the amount of speed he can carry into a steep corner and our little Figo got banged in the pavement. It had to be towed back to the house, as the petty Figo lost one of her legs (front axle and tier end rod of the front passenger tire have gone kaput ).

My dad and his brother thought it to be wise to get the car set right from the FNG which is located just behind our house.The owner there know us well, and then, getting it done from him instead of insurance, means saving on the "No claim bonus".It was a decision taken in haste, only to be repented later.

The car spent two weeks at the garage,as the parts to be sourced from Kashmere Gate were not available ( people from Delhi will understand that this is one of the biggest auto-spares market of the capital and our business happens to be located in the vicinity). This by default makes it the first place to source the spares.Finally,Figo got it's legs back and was on the road again doing the regular chores. The new life injected into the Figo was short-lived as it broke down one morning and the culprit was the axle which was not properly aligned and hence,the car just refused to move.It was time to revisit that "hasty decision".Damage has been done.A good Fordy let down by the incompetent local garage guys.

People at higher strata in my house now started contemplating as what to do. Somewhere in the back of their thoughts, they have started loosing confidence in the reliability of Figo ( after the last breakdown).

p.s. :- I saw it coming as I never felt comfortable getting the core mechanical/engine/suspension related jobs getting done from these people. They neither have the equipment/tools nor the expertise, these machines require.A learning from my experience. Never trust these local garages for critical tasks/components like these.They can ruin your ride completely.They are good for puncture repairs/tire change/rotation etc. only.

Another angle of the same story - End of July 2012

Some backdrop :- We have a Ford Ikon too in our family, which is used sparingly. It is a 2004 model and hence one can easily assume that there is hardly any room left for claiming depreciation on it. I have compiled the long-term report of it here :- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...6-nxt-zxi-long-term-ownership-experience.html

Then,it was time to fill up advance taxes and calculate the depreciation benefits claimed on vehicles purchased under firm's name.As I said, our Ikon had little left in terms of tax benefits, a school of thought arose to sell it and get a new ride (good to save taxes) and get the Figo repaired from the authorised service center.This would mean coughing up another 25-30K after already spending 10-12K (at the local garage) and insurance can't be claimed on an already repaired car. The equation just didn't seem to make any sense after all the permutations.
When I came to know about this story doing the rounds in the house, my love for the old Fordy (Ikon) swelled, and I immediately embarked on the journey to save it.I argued that Ikon has around 65% life left in it and selling it won't fetch much monetarily.Whereas, if we need to sell one of the cars, Figo should be the one due to the ill-repair carried out on it and will fetch more, as it has done only 18K kms in 3 years (it was bought in May2010).It took few discussions with my dad and uncle to prove my argument valid and I was given the task to get quotes for Figo.

Ford Figo (Sold with a heavy heart) :- August 2012

I placed an ad on few websites and soon got a ball-park figure of 2.2L - 2.5L. The numbers were not overwhelming due to the continuous hike in gas prices and tumbling economy.I fixed an appointment with a Mahindra first choice(MFC) dealer to inspect the vehicle and give a final price. His subordinate came, did some checks and ticked few marks in a sheet of paper he bought along, and then I looked at him to speak.

He said,"saab, gaadi ki condition badiya hai, thodi lagi hai aage se, thode bahut scratches hain...baaki theek hai".I gained some confidence and anticipated some words like 3L (I know it is day-dreaming).He finally broke his silence and uttered, "2.4L", nothing less nothing more. I talked with the owner of MFC and he was not ready to budge from the price quoted.I discussed this with home ministry and got half-hearted approvals, but they had no choice and even less time to ponder upon this more.We asked him to take the car as and when it's replacement arrives.

p.s. :- The day the MFC guy had to come for picking Figo up, I got a call from an individual who had come before and had driven Figo, but has not contacted afterwards. He offered 2.6L and would take delivery right away. I informed my dad about this call, but as the deal has been freezed with MFC, so no changing it now.

Replacements Considered - Middle of August 2012

The thumb rule for changing cars in our family has been : "A sedan replaces a sedan and a hatch replaces a hatch".

Requirements :-

1.) The biggest requirement this time was to get a hatch with good resale, as the decision makers at home (read as my dad and uncle) were particularly miffed at the ultra-low resale value of Fords.

2.) It has to be a city-friendly commuter rather than a highway-scorcher,as this is going to be used as a tool to commute from home to business and back home + similar city duties.

3.) Fuel efficiency was not much of a bother as the running is not much and, the places we traverse on are highly congested parts of Delhi.Nothing on four wheels can be "efficient" here!!

4.) So, the above points pretty much sums up,what we were looking for.Let me start talking about the actual contenders now :-

Another Figo :-

Hmmm...yeah,what's wrong in getting another one, except for :
1.) Same driving experience, which frankly speaking is nothing great to talk about. Handling and suspension are not the culprit of this hatch, but the mediocre engine is, we felt it even so more, when it has to share the garage with the bigger sister (Ikon,that too, 1.6L ROCAM).

2.) Then, we could get the diesel one. Proven engine, highly efficient,enough power for city use and overall an established product.Not to mention the dynamics, which can really shame the Japanese engineers.Then again, it's resale might not be the best in the business (even in diesel form).

With above points being discussed, the thoughts of having another Figo were put to rest. Let's try something new or may be more like,coming back to basics...

Volkswagen Polo/Skoda Fabia

I am a German engineering aficionado and admire the built quality and solidity of a product more than fancy radios and stuff alike.So, my personal favorite has to be either a Polo/Fabia.
Now, there are few Polo's/Vento's in the family and friends which translates into asking of their ownership experiences.Few consultations with them revealed two common grouse with both the cars as :

1.) Low ground clearance and even low placement of front bumper skirts and some under-body parts. One of dad's friend had his Polo's underbelly protection plate replaced twice (courtesy : broken and ill-maintained roads of Old Delhi).

2.) Lack of rear leg & shoulder room.I didn't buy this argument of them till I personally had a 20 minute ride sitting in the rear seat accompanied by 2 medium built adults. After the drive, I exclaimed, " Man this is cramped"!!

The above two anomalies(not in the vehicle exactly as some might be ok with these) closed the case for VW/Skoda.

p.s. :-Though till date and for the time to come, I remain mighty impressed with their ability of making well-engineered products.The way the door closes shut, gives one a feeling of serenity and security that others just don't match.Even my dad and his bro agreed to the craftsmanship that these German cars exude.

Battle Continues...!!!

29122012006.jpg

Thread Starter #2
Toyota Etios Liva/Honda Brio

When someone asks me about the shoddily built cars by "otherwise" reputed manufacturers in the country, Liva/Brio just pops out first in my mind.I have heard umpteen number of times in the reviews of Autocar India and others stating that Toyota/Honda are cashing-in heavily on their brand names by giving these el-cheapo models in the country. We are buying them just because of their reliability and good motors.

Now, I happen to sit in one and that was the last time I sat in one.Ultra-low grade plastic, seats and the flimsy doors just fail to justify the asking price for these cars. Had they been offered at 1L off their current sticker price, they make some sense.You just cannot deceive Indians like that and go to the banks laughing-out all the way.

One visit to the respective showrooms was enough to take the call against them.

p.s. :-In particular reference, Toyota dealership was far more courteous and willing to sell the car compared to the rude and unprofessional Honda folks.They seem like doing some favors and I was like, "what??".

Chevrolet Beat/Nissan Micra

Now, We had a Corsa sail 1.4 back in 2003 which was sold off in 2010 (Figo was it's replacement).The car had some niggling issues and poor FE.If I talk about the positives, the ride was really mature and it felt solid and rattle free after 7 yrs of use.

The final blow was the value it fetched at the time of selling.As evident, a powerful petrol hatch with Chevy bowtie on the hood would fetch nothing but 1/6th of the cost it was bought for.

Hence, the awful resale value defeated one of our strong requirements this time and it was time to say "bye-bye" to Chevy.

Micra never had a great start here and still sells just to sell. Nothing specific. No particular strengths,no strong weaknesses. Small rear seats which are only good for children didn't help Micra's case much.We just let it go off the list, as there is nothing much going for it.

Maruti Suzuki Swift/Hyundai i20

After meandering almost every showroom,as I said earlier,this time, it was more like coming back to basics.

i20 had an exhaustive feature list along with good after sales support and decent enough resale going for it.The power-plant is the refined and punchy 1.4L crdi unit.It seemed like a perfect proposition and ticked all the requirements.A small inquiry from Hyundai dealership gave a ball-park figure of 8.5L for the top-end diesel.

Now,dad and uncle were in a fix after hearing the quotes for i20. They wondered, how on Earth, a hatch is being sold at a price-point well in the mid-size saloon segment.Gradually, they came to terms with the inflation and understood the positioning.Moreover, i20 is doing some good numbers and hence the market dynamics have certainly changed.

On a similar note, my dad gave a call to one of his friends, who happens to be at the nearby Maruti dealership and got a retail price of 7.8L for the ZDi variant.

I am not a fan of Maruti engineering and their products.However, if someone asks me to say a few good words on Maruti or Swift to be precise, it has to be it's strong engine. The Fiat sourced 1.3L Multijet unit, good for 75 horses is punchy and smooth.transmission has short throws, chunky and tiny gearstick is sporty but the gear operation do not come close to Ford's.Ride is hollow though improved from the previous version(Auto journalists say so).Handling is just "light"! (people driving cars with hydraulic power steerings will find it the same i.e. "light"). I can't talk more as I degrees more from the positives and creep into bashing!!!

Decision Time (Early September, 2012)

The task of shortlisting anything nowadays has become quite tough, thanks to in-numerous options available in the market.Still, we have eliminated most and were left with two to choose from.

i20 and Swift, both are premium hatches and are commanding hefty premium.Initial requirements were revisited, which says, good residual value. Maruti scores slightly better in that department,but it was not the only deal breaker. The initial cost of i20 was also roughly 70K more.Peace of mind and service anywhere are the things that come to mind when one makes up his mind to own a Maruti. It was not that Hyundai fares bad in these areas, it was just that Maruti do it slightly better.Scale was tilting towards Swift and Maruti was doing monthly numbers of 20K units.A quick call to the friendly dealer enlightened us with the horrific waiting periods Swift commands.So SWIFT it was!! (The whole process has not been "Swift" though!!![;)])

Final Twist in the Tale

Swift Zxi was booked. I didn't know this. I thought it was the diesel one which is finalized. When I saw the booking amount receipt, my eyes popped out.I took a while to understand the loophole.Now, since my younger bro,dad and uncle went for booking, they decided as the running has always been low, it is wise to go in for petrol.I debated this by saying that,although our running has been limited, it will not remain the same.

New drivers have been added in the family a.k.a my younger bro (a dangerous one) and my first cousin.Hence, it by default means that the cars in the family will be clocking more kilometers.Also, Swift D sells the most, thus commanding the highest value among pre-worshipped vehicles plus the FE advantage.

Final blow came when my dad's friend at Maruti told that we have to wait for a month for Swift P Zxi whereas one Swift D Zdi is available. we needed the car before 30th, September to avail tax advantage.

Finally, booking changed to Swift "D" Zdi and full payment made the next day.We take insurance from our own guy, but Maruti people intimated about some weird clause that insurance should be in-house, so had to take it.(I wanted to challenge it. It is a consumer's market after all. Ain't it?).Delivery promised on 21st September and so it happened the very day!!

I didn't go for taking delivery due to other commitments.It went fine and now let the snaps do some talking...!!

p.s. :- This is the longest I have written. Hope all finds it a good read..!!

29122012005.jpg

06012013013.jpg

06012013012.jpg

06012013011.jpg

29122012007.jpg

28082013108.jpg

28082013110.jpg

06012013010.jpg

28082013109.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Maruti Swift ZDi - Snow White Joins The Family!

Note: Thread Now Live From T.I.P Zone. Thanks!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Wow that was a long review on your buying. You have made the right choice. Happy miles.

Good decision Rahul[clap],

Your Snow white looks bold and beautiful[:)]

Happy miles ahead [:)]

Thread Starter #10

Good decision Rahul[clap],

Your Snow white looks bold and beautiful[:)]

Happy miles ahead
congrats Rahul for snow white.... she looks really good.
Congrats on Snow White [clap]
Hey Appu, type-r,Vishnu,

Thank you all for the wishes!!!

Snowy will be completing her first birthday sometime in September and will go for first proper servicing. I will update the experience and the drive afterwards!!

Thread Starter #11

Mini Update - First Birthday

Our Snow-white completed her first birthday on 22nd Sep. I was just too hooked up with other stuff, and hence the update coming in a bit late.

I also did a trip to Binsar valley in the Swifty from 5th Sep - 8th Sep and the car behaved good on the e-way.The travelogue will come up shortly with good dose of pics.

However, this post is dedicated to the first service of Snowy. I didn't go for it but went smoothly as told by my brother. He booked a weekday slot due to less cars for servicing leading to quality work by the service folks.

Odometer reading : 8200
time : 22nd Sep,2012 - 20th Sep,2013

Service cost :- 4200/- (no labour charges as this was the last free service)

Service included:-

1.)Engine oil change (Consumed around 3 ltrs of it. Oil was Mobil1 grade 0W40.)
2.)Oil filter change
3.)Air filter was cleaned up.

Issues faced :

1.) DTE used to stuck up at 530kms even if the tank is full. --> SA checked with the OBD tool and confirmed everything is cool, so that's about it.
2.) Front passenger headrest was a bit loose and makes some noise on broken roads.--> Advisor showed this as usual in every Swift.

This pretty much sums up the service record.

A long travelogue with pics coming up soon...!!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom