Honda City 2001 AT: "EMY" - A 1.5 Litre, 100 BHP Automatic Diva Comes Home

Thread Starter #1
Hello people, this is my third post since i have become a member of this site.Well a lot of you might think that i am a used car dealer but it isnt like that. The mojo to try new set of wheels every few months, zombies me to walk towards diffrent machines every few months. But yes, it is a fact, that i always sell my wheels at a Profit, preferably at a margin of around 15-25 k

I do not stick to a particular segment or class of vehicle. my decision is based on the first vibes, generated between me and the machine.

My first post was about my first car, a 2000 model Baleno-link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...irst-car-maruti-suzuki-baleno-1-6-2000-a.html

After that the SUV bug bit me, and home came a 2006 Scorpio- link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...k-my-2nd-car-my-1st-suv-mahindra-scorpio.html

Drove and tested the scorpio to my fullest. for indian roads i think there is no other budget SUV which has such a great VFM. loved it completely. But the only thing abot the Scorpio is the bumpy and ship like drive. Well, and expecting a new member in our home soon, the sensible option was to go in for a comfortable and smooth sedan. One which would be easy to get in and get out, one which my wife could easily drive, one which has an excellent AC/ Heating system, and yes one which is surely fuel efficient. The Buying Budget which i had kept wa s around 1.2 Lakhs max. (Saved rest of the "Scorpio-sale Kitty" for the soon to come family member):agree:

The hunt started. Options were:
  1. Back to Baleno ( i already had it right??? )
  2. Old Zen ( Easy to drive and park a sweet peppy jellybean...but now shows it age)
  3. Ford Ikon ( the real josh Machine...but a guzzler too)
  4. Mitsu Lancer ( Classic jap, with excellent appeal...but what about the SPARES??)
  5. Old Honda City ( Always had a crush on her, but couldnt make the first move...was now the right time?"

I went to meet my buddy, from whom i had bought the scorpio(HULK). I told him about my requirements and budget...He suggested me to opt for a santro, but then he respected the petrol head in me...and started his networking. One fine day...he sends me a few pic on my whattsapp. A Bottle green, sleek looking Honda City.

A smile lit up my face. 2 reasons:
1) she was Bottle green in colour- My wife's Favourite colour
2) she was an Automatic - Something that my Wife always wanted to drive

Within half an hour, i caughtup with rohit. we sent to see the car, rohit drove it and said " Aankh band kar ke ley le...."
I trust Rohit like a mentor. This guy has 18 years of expirience, working on mercs, jeeps to other premium& classic cars.

So the deal was done, cash paid, keys recieved.

Me and my wife named the car "EMY ( emerald) - coz dats her body colour.

The car has some slight scrathes and tiny dents here and there. I Respect that being a 2001 car. But the Inside is a pure delight.
Dashboard and Door panels made of classic hard leather.
Premium quality wooden panels
Supperb Fabric used on the seats
Uber chilling AC...never crossed level 1 of the blower till now
Gearshift, Drive, Suspension, is SSSSUPPPPERRRBBBBB
My in laws were shocked that even a 12 year old car can be such a delight.

however The car needed a little work:
  1. O2 Sensor replace - 1800 rs (Denso manyfactured)
  2. Air filter replaced - 290 rs

Result--Power at tap!!!![gun]

As of now, i am relishing on this supperb diva. she looks classy and drives like a dream. Posted are some of the Pictures. (The strange part is that she is bottle green in colour, but looks black in the pics. )

Next work in line:
Fitting up a Stock Rear Spoiler
Front fog lamps
Polishing the car 3m ( waiting for the monsoons to end)
Interior carpet cleaning and Panels Polishing ( Post monsoons)

till then, i am happily driving[drive]

Attachments

Re: Honda City 2001 AT: "EMY" - a 1.5 litre, 100 bhp automatic Diva....comes home

@Ikram

Excellent report and pics buddy !!

I can't believe it that it is a 2001 model, it just looks superb man and this Honda city model was my all time favorite Sedan .

Please elaborate a little on its Auto transmission experience. I would love to see this car in Pune during my next visit to Pune

Thread Starter #4
Re: Honda City 2001 AT: "EMY" - a 1.5 litre, 100 bhp automatic Diva....comes home

@ Guralla 74 ,

the Auto transmission in this particular model is a bit diffrent compared to the later ones. the Gear ratios especially 2nd and 3rd are bit longer. however it is really responsive.
The gears on 1st and 2nd change once the RPM reaches 2000. In the later gears they change at 1500-1700 rpm.
This makes the fuel efficiency really efficient. I have been constantly recieving a fuel efficiency figure of 12.8 to 13.2 kmpl in the city.
I guess we generally tend to waste more fuel in manual gear change in city driving.
However the flip side, is you do not get that Whippy performance like the manual. But then i have done enough of rubber burning on my baleno.

So this onez really matching upto my expectation levels. for a 100 bhp , Auto transmission anything above 12 kmpl is great.[:D]

and finally...driving an auto transmission is a delight in pune's stop n go traffic. It is also a boon when you are parking the car, as you dont have to struggle between reverse and first gear. you just slide the stick up and down. [:)]

congratulations on getting your hands on such beautiful machine which is well maintained.Can share the amount you got this one for?
Petrol and automatic with honda is the best you have got.This was one of the finest model of city that sold during that time.Enjoy your drive.

Thread Starter #6
Prices cannot be shared[;)]...by the way, how much do you think is this "DIVA" worth

Wow that City is looking super gorgeous. Doesn't look like a 12 year old car from any angle,inside or outside. Brilliant choice I must say. Congrats and hope you have a trouble free and joyous experience with this sleek beautiful car.

P.S. - I saw tints on the rear windshield of your car, Is it fine to have it in Pune(I meant no Police/cops issue) or are you planning on getting it removed?

Thread Starter #8
well, the tints are existing only on the rear window. the rest are clear. so that does not cause any issue.[:)]

Could you confirm that your Honda City does not have a CVT?
Based on my reading Honda used to use CVT extensively on several models.

Congrats for your City. She is a looker despite being a decade old! You are lucky to have found such a maintained specimen. And yes, like RKji said, this version is the REAL City (ofcourse engine wise its VTEC).

Thread Starter #11
well this is a first generation automatic. It does not sport a CVT. Instead it uses the true blue auto gear transmission. Simple example, while shifting the gear, you can clearly feel the gear change, which is negligible in a CVT. This is alos not a VTEC. This is the first pureblood version of an 1.5 Auto. THAT was the Reason why i bought it.[:)].

congrats ikram... its a truly gem of a car you got there. and btw this is a VTEC. its one of the bad boy VTECs very famous around the world.

Top Bottom