A sad update
I am in the heights of joblessness and my car too isn't doing well.
Here are the list of issues I have with the car now. 1. Zero Idling
- due to carb issues. The carburator I have is at the end of its life cycle and no further repairs can be done on it. The mechanic informed me about this long back, I could not arrange for a new one. The used one I had, has also been abused by its previous owner.
2. Cant start the car only if its in Neutral - Have to check clutch cable
3. Interiors are total scrap - most plastics need replacement, roof cloth is hanging, seats are kind of flat already.
4. No Cabin lamp
5. Jerks and switching off - Fuel pump issue, needs replacement
6. Ignition coil gets heated up and car switches off quite often. Need to replace this as well.
What's good about the car?
Punchy engine - Money spent on engine rebuild is worth every rupee. Completely satifisfied with the acceleration.
Gear issues sorted out - the replacement gearbox seems to be doing a good job.
New Battery and almost new dynamo are also perfectly fine
I cant get the document transfer done without the interiors and brake booster fit. I doubt if I could do all this in the next few months. The car is likely to get into hibernation mode for a looong time from tomorrow.
The carb issue is very big and its price is also equally big. I had fuelled the car for 5litres and the mileage was too good, the car switched off within 10kms from the garage then again I topped up petrol for about 300/- then drove till M.G.Road when it began to jerk sligthly, again I topped up for another 300/- reached home and parked the car. I am totally frustrated.
I will clean the interiors, apply underbody coat, fix dashboard and existing seats, wheel caps etc. Once I do all these, I will disconnect the battery (may be even sell it, since its brand new) and not touch the car till I can pump some 10K atleast into it.
Sometimes I regret entering this restoration line, for the fact that my car is never drive ready at all! Some of my neighbours are least concerned about their rides and still they have hardly any issues, my neighbour has a 96 model, 2nd owner m800 and still he is happy, has not spent a penny so far. When I hunt for cars, I dont get good ones, whatever I get is fully loaded with problems to the brim! Like some insurance schemes, my car is filled with problems - BUMPER TO BUMPER
I am not ready to fix anything as of now, quite disappointed with a lot of things, especially a few comments about my work and my car which I get to hear from a lot of people off late.
I also just asked myself, why not just buy a new Nano and do no DIY at all? Put fuel, keep using the car. Then I wont be happy as there is nothing really to do in a new car.
Will post pics of rubber coating in floor and will pause the thread for sometime.