A Classic Indian Roadie - M800

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I have already introduced myself to some senior members in the forum.

I recently got back in India after doing sometime in Dubai as a Systems/Network Engineer. I was owning a BMW 328i back there but here I was already owning an i10 and A black 150 Pulsar and i had tricked it out by installing K&N air filter and custom painted it in Hulk green and Matte Black i.e. Dark Knight black color(I used to call it) [;)] as I am a heavy comic buff. [:)] I never thought of any second car as I was happy with i10 and bike. When I came in Mumbai and saw the way traffic moves I started getting double thoughts about my bike which was in one point in time like my love but soon my marriage is on the charts and my girlfriend now fiance she started with no more two wheels and we need an alternative now etc etc.

I was really contemplating about an Enfield but I am a lazy ass to maintain it and if I cant live upto commitment then there is no point buying one so that was chucked out. Well buying a car was decided and advised by whoever I met and spoke to abou my dilemma. Still I had one car but that is used for occasions and i needed a robust workhorse like ride which I could use as a Alternative for a bike to get by anywhere I want to.

While picking used Cars I had just kept two choices in front of me they were Zen and 800 as any of this no matter how much ever old or junkie they are one can easily fix them and get them running and comparatively they also live upto good mileage. I am a technical person at heart so any problem any minor breakdown i would be able to fix it. Taking all these paradigms into cnsideration I started plannin for 800 carb version. With MPFI i dint have any problems but correct me if i am wrong I needed a Car with cheap and simple mechanism for starters. Nearby my house there was a dealer who dealt in used cars and bike. Me and my dad spotted this 98 M800 dx beauty all made up with looks and stickers as wellwith smoked out tail lamps and headlamps.

And That very moment i walked in and asked him about the car, the guy was adamant about selling off and he said i wont sell it try any other vehicle. He had worked on it restored it partially and he had made it for himself. Later that day my friend who is a mechanic even tried his part of luck for cracking up the deal but even he was turned down but he got lucky with test drive and gave me a go ahead of buyin that some work was left but yeah that can be taken care of. Now I was interested in that car only. Evening i went and convinced him to sell it for 55000 INR then I started off like as he was a Two wheeler dealer lets buy back my pulsar and give me that 800. He was a good man and a vehicle lover he signed up where in I had to pay him 40000 to seal the deal including my old 2006 pulsar. Next day that ride was mine and i paid green tax everything and transferring was done almost a week later.

Now I am a proud owner of it. I tripped pune, nasik, lonavla in that with full ac and then changed the battery, it got its rear wheel jammed due to handbrake and rains. I had its secondary carburettor plate replaced. Got its tuning done and now its as smooth as cake... I am happy with it and would maintain it properly and this car has taught me alot about maitnenance and Thanks TAI there are some couple of things I would be wanting in my car. I need your support on that one. Just check out the pics...!!!

Thanks...!!!

IMG_20130704_152128.jpg

IMG_20130704_152140.jpg

IMG_20130704_152158.jpg

IMG_20130704_152209.jpg

IMG_20130704_152445.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your purchase![clap]
The car is looking good. Interiors are fine. I suggest to remove those extra stickers i.e suzuki everywhere, antenna, fake skoops etc. The smoked head lamps & tails lamps are interesting. I think it is blackened roof top, Please Post the pictures of that one.

I wish happy smiles n miles with your m800.

Thread Starter #3
Congrats on your purchase![clap]
The car is looking good. Interiors are fine. I suggest to remove those extra stickers i.e suzuki everywhere, antenna, fake skoops etc. The smoked head lamps & tails lamps are interesting. I think it is blackened roof top, Please Post the pictures of that one.

I wish happy smiles n miles with your m800.
Hey thanks for advice and I will get rid of that real soon.. Yes the roof top is blackened that adds to the beauty of it. I will soon work on even tinting the windows.

Thread Starter #5
Guys the thread is being updated just a little work with car got me slowed down a bit...!!! In all these days I was working on lot of tit bit problems like ACs and lot of issues with wheel balancing and alignment as car used to wobble at 70+ now it zooms faster than before without even coffee spilling out of mug..!!! Its being a great experience so far as mentioned by Rayal I got rid of all those kinky looking stickers and stuff..!!! My mechanics are trying to get as quality work as possible and available on street..!!! I have some issues with my right front wheel strut and mechanic has suggested to change rubber on both.!! Another mechanic has suggested to go for total strut change I am in catch 22 situation now...!! Would need some experts to comment on that issues..!!! Finally a bad news was my car got bumped into another car by my wife last week saying she cudnt brake and as she is accustomed to driving present day cars with brake boosters but that was fixed as it was my fault that she got access to 800's keys..!!! Post fixing the hood and radiator which was repaired and repainted that killed the fake hood so that was taken off..!!! While alignment those wheel caps were taken off so that now it has a rough classic look would post the recent pics soon now time for some accident pics..!!!

Attachments

Sorry to hear about the incident..

Did you get the booster installed.

Do post the pic's after the denting and painting done.
Also post the cost involved.

Last edited:
Feel really sorry that the old lady got a bloody nose. I have the reverse problem - I'm so used to pressure on the M800 breaks that whenever TDing newer cars, I end up exerting too much pressure sending my co-passengers lurching forward. I've been asked to brake gently by two SAs already :-)

Thread Starter #8
Sorry to hear about the incident..

Did you get the booster installed.

Do post the pic's after the denting and painting done.
Also post the cost involved.
My AC is much chiller after I changed Timing belts...!!!
I have been told about brake boosters but i am waiting for rains to go...!!
There are hell lot of mods to be undertaken from Vinyl Sitckering to installing a Autocop and RPM Tachometer and which is alread installed but not working.. its pricol..!!!
I will soon post the pics along with the denting and painting cost..!!!

Feel really sorry that the old lady got a bloody nose. I have the reverse problem - I'm so used to pressure on the M800 breaks that whenever TDing newer cars, I end up exerting too much pressure sending my co-passengers lurching forward. I've been asked to brake gently by two SAs already :-)
Yeah indeed I am used to pressure brakes

Thread Starter #9
Hello Petrolheads

I just want to say that it was a slight of delay from my end as I am bit caught up with many things at this moment nevertheless I am posting in some recent pics of my lovely m800. The costs for denting and repainting the whole hood costed me around Rs.3600/- my radiator was damaged but it was fixed as it was made of copper it was reparable by mechanic and it was covered in same cost and front tyre balancing and alignment as well came upto Rs.500/-. I have fixed Suzuki logo onto the grill except for conventional Maruti logo for type 2. Which makes it look interesting... Small tit bit problems are coming up but its fun to drive in city traffic as well as on highways.. only thing I am worried is now if I have to go back to Dubai not so soon but in future I would handover this one into safe hands who would really take care of this humble classic car and won't let its beauty fade away in time...
Thanks..

Attachments

Top Bottom