Tata Safari Storme EX 4x2 Urban Bronze - Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Why Safari Storme?

Why Safari Storme? Simple answer.. "No Idea" I had a WagonR previously for 5 long years and I was planning to exchange it for a sedan/small car since the road in front of my house was not so big for a realy big car. Test drove Ritz, Sail UVA but did not feel like buying it. Swift was considered but dropped. Later test drove Vento, Sail, Camry and Verna. All were good but I did not really feel like buying it.

Then one fine day I stepped into Tata's showroom at Kazhakoottam (Kulathingal Motors) to test drive Safari Storme. Some people called me crazy but after the test drive I really liked the handling, comfort, view of the road in front that I booked it immediately. I liked it so much that I really didn't think that I won't be able to get this beast into my house ever [:)]

Reaction from Friends and Family
Following were some of the reactions:
1) You could have gone for an XUV or Inova
2) Why are you buying this? Where will you park it?
3) Why buy a Tata car? Their cars are not good. Go for Mahindra.

Only answer that I could give was "I really liked it". Frankly, I loved it too.

Day I got my Storme
It was a wonderful experience owning the beast. Drove it out and went straight to office. Everyone liked it.
Most of them liked the Urban Bronze color. I am still wondering why people buy the white/silver colors. Bronze/Black/Red are really got colors for Storme.

Experience till now and ratings
After driving it for 3000km over the past 2 months I have mixed feelings. Some good and some bad.

Positive Experience:
- Drive Quality [10/10]
The front view of the road is majestic. Its like sitting on an elephant and looking below at all the small beings.

- Comfort for front and back seat passengers [10/10]
Excellent. A comment that I have heard from friends, family and everyone who has taken a drive with me.

- Ground clearance [10/10]
A recent drive from Trivandrum to Kodaikanal impressed myself as well as my friends in regards to ground clearance. I will share this journey in another forum shortly. Stay tuned.

- Powerful Head lights [10/10]

- Good Brakes [8/10]
Good but it could have been better so giving it 8. Thrice I had three autos take unexpected turns and Safari handled the situation very well.

- Audio System [6/10]
Its of average standard but has everything that it needs. Needs to test the Bluetooth feature.

- AC [8/10]
Really good. Cools very fast. Rear AC is also really good. Only problem is the pollution entering through AC which I described below.

Negative Experiences
- Hand Brake failed
1 week after purchase Hand brake was not working. Luckily noticed it when my friend parked it on a slope and the car was rolling down. Took it to service center and fixed it.

- Left Indicator failed:
1 month later left Indicator failed. Service center replaced the complete kit for free.

- Pollution inside cabin:
Drive it in clutch in a very busy traffic condition for more than 5 minutes and pollution somehow enters the cabin through AC vents. Showed it to the service center and they said its usual for all cars. Didn't have this issue on my old WagonR. Need to check with another service center.

- Noice [6/10]
Noticed that noice which was very low at time of purchase has slowly increased. Showed it to service center and they said its normal. Need to check with another service center.

- No good discounts or features [5/10]
I had to purchase Rear view camera and LCD which I believe should come standard in such huge cars.
Compared to XUV features are really less but no really complains here.

- Gears [2/10]
Really worried with the Gears. Sometimes Reverse and Second gear does not fall.

Other Ratings
- Interiors [3/10]
It's 2013. They could have made it a bit more good looking. They could have used Aria's interior in Storme.

- Stearing [7/10]
Average. I feel there is a lot of play in the stearing. Need to show it in service center.

Overall I give it a 7/10 but considering all the good and bad things I really like my Storme [:)]
I just have to get used to it.

Hi ManuSolomon,

Congratulations on your new Storme EX!!

I have also booked Storme LX Black. Even I had driven Wagon R for 5 years. Only difference, is that I knew I was to go for Tata SUV, but contemplating on for Aria or Storme. My wife came to my help. ;)

Niggles are there in Storme, but like Rajiv ( our new member) says "It engages you".

BTW, Please put in your car PICS.

Why Safari Storme?

- Pollution inside cabin:
Drive it in clutch in a very busy traffic condition for more than 5 minutes and pollution somehow enters the cabin through AC vents. Showed it to the service center and they said its usual for all cars. Didn't have this issue on my old WagonR. Need to check with another service center.

- Noice [6/10]
Noticed that noice which was very low at time of purchase has slowly increased. Showed it to service center and they said its normal. Need to check with another service center.

- Gears [2/10]
Really worried with the Gears. Sometimes Reverse and Second gear does not fall.

- Stearing [7/10]
Average. I feel there is a lot of play in the stearing. Need to show it in service center.
Congrats. And you were right Storme looks good in black red or bronze. No other color does any justice to the car.
- Pollution inside the cabin. Well, Just remove the gear lever boot and check how its covered underneath. Most probably you will find a sponge covering the hole through which the gear lever enters the cabin. Thats likely to be the source.
-Welcome to TASS. If you are able to locate the source of the sound, the better. They will work on it in no time. But if you cant locate it, they wont bother. Their answer will be "Sorry sir, We couldnt locate it either".
-Gear engaging is not a problem in Storme as quoted by the owners here. SO must get it checked.
-And Steering. I dont know how the Stormes steering is. BUT dont expect it to be like WagonRs or say like the electric ones. Storme uses a hydraulic unit, and TATAs have a dead center feel to the steering. May take some time to adapt.

Last edited:
Congratulations ManuSolomon for your Beast. [clap]

And that was a quick decision and probably heart won over the mind.

Do post some pics as well.

Congrats Manusolomon on your new ride [clap] ! Ur beast looks cool, Take good care during the running in period, do not over rev than the prescribed limits during the running in and drive safe !

Congrat's on your new ride and the Urban bronze color does look very classy on Safari, any plans to go for alloy's?

Please do upload some pictures

Thread Starter #12
Hi ManuSolomon,

Congratulations on your new Storme EX!!

I have also booked Storme LX Black. Even I had driven Wagon R for 5 years. Only difference, is that I knew I was to go for Tata SUV, but contemplating on for Aria or Storme. My wife came to my help. ;)

Niggles are there in Storme, but like Rajiv ( our new member) says "It engages you".

BTW, Please put in your car PICS.
Congrats for your new car. Yes Rajiv is right. It really engages you.

Thread Starter #14
Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Congrat's on your new ride and the Urban bronze color does look very classy on Safari, any plans to go for alloy's?

Please do upload some pictures
Yes. But I am a bit confused and researching on whether I should go for it or not. I have heard that alloys are not good for such heavy vehicles. Is that right?

Top Bottom