Maruti 800 - My Car. My Passion!

Thread Starter #1
Hi all!!

I am very much passionate about bikes & cars from my childhood. I was planning to own a car and due to several things, I was postponing it. Recently in last week, my dreams come true and I bought a Nov.2008 make registered in Jan.2009 white maruti 800 DUO AC . Actually, ours is a 3 membered family with my wife & daugthter and by inclusion of my son in Sept. 2011, my zeal for buying the car has grown up. At first I discussed with my wife and she gave green signal.

I discussed with my friends and they suggested to get a pre owned car, as it is better to have an used car first. Then comes a big question, Which car I has to purchase? As I am ready to afford 1 lakh rupees it becomes difficult for me to find the right car. Because my figure is neither low nor high for a small car. I shortlisted maruti 800, Zen, Omni, Alto, Nano, Santro, Wagon R, Ford Ikon. Due to cost, I deleted Wagon R from my list. I didnt find good Altos & Zens within my budget. Ofcourse I like ZEN (zero engine noise), engine performance, its looks, interiors, meter console, but unable to find a good one within my budget. With my budget I can get approx. 12yr. old Ford Ikon hence I dropped it. Ofcouse, I dont like Nano car. Finally Santro Zip plus, Omni & 800 stood in the list. I removed Omni from the list because of ride & safety. Although Santro zip has power steering, nice console, comfortable seating, I dont like its looks and more over with my budget I can get a 10-11 year old car. Then the final winner of my list is maruti 800.

Then I started searching for my dream car. I searched in net and preferred direct owner interaction, because I cant relay on local mechanics and more over dealing with dealers I think paying more. I find the prices at maruti True value are higher. One day I got a phone call from a Ford Ikon owner and it was 2000 make 1.6 topend model and his last offer was 95000/-. I became hot a little bit as it is in my budget and later gets cooled. Because as it is 1.6, it gives less mileage and maintaining Ford is costlier,and in my living area it becomes difficult for me to afford it. Some of my friends strongly oppose maruti 800. They suggested Santro xing because of advanced features than 800 and also to increase my budget But as it dosent fit into my pocket i denied it. Here, I has to mention some points about maruti 800.

It is the first car of thousands of Indian families. It is peppy, easy to drive, gives good mileage, low cost easily available spares, convenient in towns & cities, good resale value, any car mechanic can handle it, and I feel the AC is comfortable. However, the cons are less contemporary looks, plastic interiors, lack of power steering & power windows, low height, poor headlights, less bootspace, dashboard, discomfort in sitting back seats etc.

But I vote the Pros of maruti rather than cons. maruti is always maruti, we have to count on it.

Oneday, in a classified in net luckily I saw an AP registered maruti 800 in Bangalore. As it is registered in AP its easier for transferring the records. If it was KA registered I has to pay the life tax and some extra fees. Ofcourse in our area KA vehicles run with no problem. Immediately I contacted him on phone, and the guy has sent pictures through mail. While discussing in phone, he explained the condition of car in detail and told that not to low bargain. He invited me for a test drive and negotiate after it. As the car is good in photos, I fall in love with its first sight. With my friends, I went to Bangalore.

The car was neat, no scratches & dents, well maintained, with stock interiors, 60032 KM on odo, working AC, remote center lock, Dapic player with 2 pioneer speakers. It also has immobilizer. When I met the person selling the car, he was a nice guy completed his Engineering and he used the car to daily roam from house to college & offered a test drive and during it i liked the performance. The engine was smooth, responsive with no noise, gear transmission is good,and i observed brakes a bit weak. Suspension is good. Overall handling is fine.

We went to his home and while speaking amazingly it was known that, he is close to my relatives and is also hailing from AP. With that, the chances of negotiating have been closed and ofcourse I started loving the car. He already own Chevrolet Optra, Scorpio and new Toyota Fortuner. He said, as all the vehicles are on his name he has to pay extra tax for registering the fortuner and it is the reason for selling maruti 800 & he never used LPG to run the car although it has a company fitted kit. He gave the car for 95k with four 165/60 R 12 Yokohama tyres and 4 Ceat tyres that can run for another 2-3 thousand KM, One good Ceat stepny tyre and a car cover. I happily returned to home with my car by the evening. While driving the car on 4 lane with AC on, its a lifetime memory as its my first car.

Hope it becomes a lengthy discussion.

I post some pictures of my car that were taken by the previous owner near his house. I am awaiting for your valuable suggestions and comments.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on owning this beautiful gem. The car is in pristine condition. And by looking at the exterior pics, it seems that the previous owner has taken very good care of the car. Maruti 800 is the car with lowest maintainance cost and is the best as a first car. I too own a 93 model maruti 800.
Do post some interior and engine bay pics.
Also ask the previous owner about when the car was serviced last (oil change,plugs/filter cleaning etc.) If required get these things done
As you have mentioned few cons about the cars, these all can be overcome easily.
1.less contemporary looks,
looks can be enhanced by stickers or custom painting.
2. plastic interiors, dashboard
interiors can be enhanced using dashboard wooden stickers or laying some vinyl or painting etc.
100_0737-500x500.JPG
3.lack of power steering & power windows
both can be installed
4. poor headlights
auxiliary lights can be installed. you can also change the stock bulbs with extreme vision/rally vision or osram night breakers. You can not upgrade to 100/90W bulbs as the headlight lenses are made up of plastic.
5. low height, less bootspace,
nothing can be done to this [anger]
6. discomfort in sitting back seats etc.
the seat can be re-upholstered using good quality foam and decent seat covers.

Last edited:
Congratulations rayal for the purchase.

For the poor headlights you can go either for higher wattage Halogen bulbs like Osram nightbreaker or something from Philips. You can also go for a pair of HID, although mind you it WILL blind the oncoming traffic if fitted in stock reflectors. If you have the budget you can also go for Dual beam Projectors in the car. It will improve the looks plus the problem of poor headlight will also be solved.

Kinshuk

WOW! what a neatly maintained car [clap]
Sir, I read your complete post & I am more than just happy that you got a good deal for a good car, I wish you thousands of happy miles with smiles ahead. I will meet you soon (very soon) & will have a TD of your car, we'll do some DIY as well.

Thread Starter #6
Thank you 350Z,Shantanu.Iko,Kinshuk.arya,ss80 for your encouragement & suggestions. While following the threads, I was really amazed about your keen knowledge and passion for cars. Really TAI is a cool place where we can share the things. I will post the pictures of interiors & engine bay soon.
ss80 thanks once again for your support.

Congrats its looks like the car is in good shape and paint quality also looks like its new. Wish you many many happy miles.

Thread Starter #9
Today I changed all oils i.e Brake oil, coolant, engine oil, gear oil and gearbox pad as it was worn. I also checked for wheel balancing and painted the front grill with metallic silver colour. Air filter & spark plugs are find good. I want to add the following to my car.
- brake boosters
- 100/90 wiring kit and lamps
- fog lamps
- making the B pillar black
- good seat covers
- removing lpg kit
- ICE installation
- alloy wheels
if any thing needed do suggest me please.

I am using 160/60 R12 Yokohama Tubeless tyres with nitrogen. However the nitrogen levels are depleting. Within 12days half of the levels have been depleted. I dont know the reason and need your help.

what about body coloured bumpers? does they good? have no idea.
about spoiler? i think it enhances the looks. please do suggest.
need of changing number plate?

Here are some latest pictures of my car.

Attachments

Small suggestions

Today I changed all oils i.e Brake oil, coolant, engine oil, gear oil and gearbox pad as it was worn. I also checked for wheel balancing and painted the front grill with metallic silver colour. Air filter & spark plugs are find good. I want to add the following to my car.

Good that you have already started to service the car & really appreciate the care you are showing.

I am not finding time, if not I would have definatley accompanied you to our (Mine, Varun & Karthik's) regular garage. to get the below works done.

- Brake boosters - kbx kit - 4000/- includes brake booster kit, oil, brake pads.
- 100/90 wiring kit and lamps - bosch/roots - 800/- approx bulbs excluded
- fog lamps - dynamo upgrade is required, if not the car's battery is likely to drain out, a common problem in M800.
- making the B pillar black - 200/- max any number plate shop will do (good idea)
- good seat covers - 5000/- (if you negotiate well, you can get art leather seat covers + seat sponges (base) for both the front seats.
- removing lpg kit - a very good idea indeed. Are you planning to sell it off? let me know, I might be able to find a buyer for you, no promises but will let you know shortly.
- ICE installation - I am a noob in this matter, I request seniors to suugest regarding this
- alloy wheels - 16K (very good ones), 14K (ok ok ones) - Plati & NEO.

Here are a few pics that I liked.

A pic I had clicked long back (someones car)
1-Photo0043.jpg

Few suggestions:
Radiator flushing: a must (mechanic will do it, easy task)
Brake booster fitting: Once brake booster is fit, take the car back to the garage after about 200kms of driving for brake oil bleeding (carry a new brake oil can as it will be required).
Cleaning Intake manifold: Varun & Jarpickle can say more about this
Painting floor & underbody with 3M anti-rust coat (rust prevention & more silent cabin) - optional - DIY - 700/- & professional = 3K
1inch spacers for all four suspensions (only if you find the humps to be too big, otherwise skip this) - 700/- Varun can confirm the price, this will increase ride height, but not good on the long run to the suspension parts
Replace antenna - stock antenna is known to go lose & rain water leaks start (Rs.150/-)

Your car is in showroom condition (very rare to find such a car) & I suggest (just my opinion) you not to do these things to your lovely car - (a collection of all unnecessary mods I get to see everyday on Bangalore roads)

air filter upgrade, sports steering, dashboard stickering, fancy led lights, remote led lights, underbody lights, very small fog lamps, reverse horn (no ringtones type - normal beep beep is good), slip-on seat covers, ration card name list on rear windhshield[lol] (one or two names is fine), trumpet horns, fake hood scoops, fake shark fin antenna on roof - usually these are the items burning holes in our pocket, thanks to accessories shops who convince the customers to buy these.

I am using 160/60 R12 Yokohama Tubeless tyres with nitrogen. However the nitrogen levels are depleting. Within 12days half of the levels have been depleted. I dont know the reason and need your help.

I think the extra wide tyres on the old bent rim lip is causing this. once you upgrade to alloys it will mostly get sorted out by itself

what about body coloured bumpers?
Your car is already a gem, it does not need body colour bumpers, black itself makes it a drool stuff

about spoiler?
costs about 3000/- for a mgp part (correct me if I am wrong about the price guys). not sure if it comes painted or just primered/ black

Also change the cabin lamp to LED type (100Rs max)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Thank you ss80 for your kind concern and supportive reply.

As its my first car, I am slowly trying to gain knowledge through all of you.
Yesterday, I have not flushed the radiator, will do it.
No hurry, I will do the works mentioned, in bangalore only with the mechanic you suggested.
I need a strut bar - need help
The first thing to do is giving antirust coat to the floor & underbody because its a must.
for ICE - i am not going to do anything. The previous owner has fitted speakers on the dikky door, I will remove them and fix them in boot space and will fix speakers on front doors thats all.
In the boot space, i am planning to make cabin for stepney and some needed tools.
I want info on spacers and if possible pictures, do they affect suspension? because with the 160/60 tyres, I think ground clearance became less.

What about stickering on car, want to affix a cool autographix sticker on body - do suggest.

I request all to give suggestions any needed. I am awaiting.

Hi,
Its good that you have changed all the oils. Your car is looking very cute [;)]
Few suggestions from my side.
1. Do not upgrade to 100/90 headlamps as the lens and reflector will tend to fade out in long run. This is the problem in all Type 3s. It would be better if you use some other 55/60 H4 bulb. Anand Bhai please elaborate on this
2. Do not paint the bumpers as black and white combo looks good. Also you may remove the white reflective sticker as it seems to be torn from few places.
Also you can paint the side mirrors and wiper arms painted in white. (Its an easy DIY)
3.The seat cover seems to be in good condition and is matching with the door pads. Only the back side of the front seats have some stain marks. You can try to remove these marks using mild soap solution. Also if you confirm the material then I'll tell the proper process to clean them. It seems to be rexin.
4. You can install door visors long with blackened B Pillar
5. For sticker selection visit this website
::: Autographix | Add 'You' to Your Ride :::

Thread Starter #13
I am posting some queries of mine.
I want to go for art leather seat covers. Does they good. please suggest.
I am planning for black & silver combo. Is it looks good.
Regarding upholstery, I have no idea. Need help.
I got a reference named Sivakumar, Behind IIM, Bannerghatta road, Blore.
Do anybody has experience with him, then tell your opinion.
For alloys I prefer Neo or Plati. I think the stock 12" size enough, however I cant find range in this 12" category.
What about the price for 5 Neo or Plati alloy wheels.
Does the 160/60 R12 Yokohama tyres are suitable for 12" alloys, do give info.
What would be the cost for reverse parking sensors.
I am planning 2 days visit to bangalore for all these works.

Awaiting for your suggestions & comments -

Yes art leather seats are cheaper and looks good. Easy to clean.

Color depends on your selection, I had paid 5k for seat covers.
Design choice in 12" alloys are very less, I would suggest go to Car shringar, near east end. (PM me for more details).
You can use 165/60 on alloys. I had paid 12k for a set of 5 (2 years back).

Parking sensors would cost around 2.5 and if you need a camera and screen it would come upto 5k.

We will have a small 800 meet, please inform me once you are here.

You could find the pic's of the seat covers installed..

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/5044-my-modified-maruti-800-a-51.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/5044-my-modified-maruti-800-a-54.html

Thread Starter #15
Varun, thanks for reply.
Your DIYs are really amazing!
Those Seat covers looks cool and good colour combination.
I am interested in rear spoiler, can you give info.
With pleasure, We will have a nice small 800 meet.
I will certainly inform you & ss80 when I visit Blore well in advance.

I need your support & guidance.

Top Bottom