My Quanto has completed 1 month with me today. After 1 month and 1200 Kms of owning I feel I have enough experience to post my initial ownership review. This is going to be very long. The report is divided into
1. My Buying experience.
2. Vehicle experience.
3. What I like and dislike
So here we go... BUYING EXPERIENCE
After owning a Santro Xing and Alto K10, I was on the look out for a bigger vehicle. We are 5 in my family and both the cars were quite congested for longtrips. So a new vehicle was needed.
With a budget of 10L I wanted a big car with oodles of space, power, road presence. So began with a Safari
Safari - Personally I liked both Storme and Dicor so anyone would have been OK with me. Tried a few Tata dealerships. Dicor was not available and Storme was readily available but the Base model was costing 13 L On Road, Also the Cost of ownership and Mileage was always on my mind, so off went Safari out of my List.
Scorpio - My brother and I like Scorpio and would have accepted even the base model with both hands. But these Moms always play spoilsport when it comes to Vehicle purchases
. My mom says it is a box on wheels. Sorry Scorpio but you have been dropped was my feeling.
Tata Aria - Base model costed 13.95 L, So did not tick any box in my wishlist.
Maruti Ertiga - Good Car, Maruti name behind it, Car like looks but it is neither a spacious 5 seater (read with luggage) nor spacious 7 seater. So off it goes from my list.
Mahindra Quanto - Visited the Mahindra showroom during Holi in March. First time in my life I came to know that a dealer is doing a favour to me by allowing me inside his showroom. Sales guys were least interested in showing the QUANTO and XYLO. I went with my family and that was the first serious attempt at finalizing a vehicle. My mother was appaled by their careless Attitude. So took quotation (read requested for quote) from Showroom and left for home. I had decided to not consider Mahindra any more.
So here I was still not decided on which (big) car I wanted. I was making my mind up for a Xylo or a Quanto but the dealer had killed that enthusiasm. On the day of HOLI i do not know what prompted me but again decided to check Quanto in a different branch of the same dealership.
As soon as I entered the showroom, there stood my man who understood what I wanted (I do not know how but will throw more light on it). My mom and I were greeted by the SA. I told him I wanted to test Quanto. The SA gave a detailed description of the vehicle, various models available. I was convinced I will buy my vehicle from this showroom and from this guy.
Now comes the part of discussion. I showed the quote given by another branch of the same dealer and to my surprise the SA offered me a discount of 20% on insurance and accessories. I requested for more (yes requested because I had made up my mind that Quanto is the vehicle for me). My request fell on right ears. I was offered a discount of
- 40% on insurance.
- 23% on accessories.
- Full waiver of Handling charges (Rs5000).
- 50% waiver on stam duty
- Free Perfume Bottle.
All in all a savings of Around 48000. SO I booked a RED QUANTO C6. VEHICLE EXPERIENCE
I did not like the stock alloys provided n the C8 so had to go with C6 which allowed me to modify it as per my liking (more on that later). Booked my Quanto C6 on 8 April and was promised delivery in 3 to 4 weeks.
- All was well but I am impatient
so bothered the nice guy (read SA) multiple times. he always stayed calm and on 2 May 2013 I was told that my C6 had arrived and that I could do a PDI. So went to the dealer on 10 May to do the PDI.
- The Sales Guy showed me my future Ride, I checked the Chassis number and validated the Manufacturing date, visible damages, Engine Bay, Underbody, Tyres, Meters, ABC pedals and was convinced this is an unused, fresh piece out of the factory. So confirmed the Temp Registration details and provided the list of accessories I wanted. Here is the list.
1. Teflon Coating
2. Underbody Coating
3. Engine Coating
4. Red original mahindra Alloy Wheels
5. Original Mahindra Bull Bars (Front and Rear)
6. Rear Spoiler and parking camera.
7. Floor Mats
8. Body Cover
9. Illuminated Scuff Plates
10. Door Visors
11. Chrome fittings
All in all an accessory bill of 92000 but with discounts I had to pay only Rs 70,000.
With the accessories the simple and sobre looking Quanto is looking like a Beast ready to pounce on you. The Angry face looks like it is challenging other vehicles on the road.
I have driven the vehicle for 1200 Kms with 2 highway trips 200 and 700 Kms each. Here are my observations
1. Spacious interiors, lots of features. I took a week to get used to the size.
2. It definately has Road presence but the Steering at parking speeds is hard.
3. As soon as engine is started there is a shudder across the cabin and you could hear the Diesel Engine making some Noise (not harsh but audible)
4. Once the Engine warms up (read after driving 3 kms or so) you could hardly hear the Engine and I am simply amazed at the low NVH levels inside the cabin. you could hardly hear anything from outside (audible but hardly much)
5. The Engine has a turbo lag till 1000 RPMS and after that pulls amazingly.
6. During my 2nd highway run of 700kms I varied the RPM levels till 2500 RPMs and believe me there were muliple occassions where I could overtake from a speed of 40 kmph in 5th gear. The pull in 4th and 5th gear is amazing (my experience of all the vehicles I have driven)
7. Bad roads are no worry for me now, Quanto eats them up with ease.
8. Did not cross Speed of 105 as it is in Running in period.
9. Gear shift is hard till the Engine warms after which it becomes smooth.
10. The DDAS shows a mileage of 15 - 20 KMPL but still have not tested the mileage. Will do it after 1st Service.
11. Build quality leaves a lot to be desired. Panel gaps are huge in some areas, Panels not aligned properly, The under driver tray needs to be literally pulled out (it refuses to come out) ( I will soon develop muscles at least on my right hand
All in all I am happy with my purchase. I have driven it over 100 KMPH for more than 300 Kms and believe me I did notice Body roll but it is not huge as is made to be believed in some post here and elsewhere. In fact I did Zig Zag driving between various trucks at high speeds and I was very comfortable. Even the occupants of my Car did not complain but I want to highlight that there is bumpy ride which was pointed out by my Mom multiple times.
So I concluded keep the Quanto ell within its limit and it will bless you with a very good and tireless ride.
I will soon post the pictures of my beast. Need to wait till weekend.