Chevrolet Spark PS: My Pre-Loved Black Beauty - SPARKY

Thread Starter #1
I had always been interested about cars since my childhood and the first car whose driver seat I stepped into was the good old Ambassador (Dad's office vehicle at that time). Our family had never owned a car.

After I moved to Mumbai and had settled into my job, I started contemplating the thought to buy a car, just for the heck of it.
Joined a driving school in 2009, got my license done, and was poised to buy one. But as they say, nothing happens till its supposed to happen, and iI continued being car-less for various reasons.

A few months back, around June 2012, a couple of my friends bought their first cars. This sparked the desire to own a car again. Us, about to become new parents in around 8 months time also was an added incentive as I wanted to give my baby a plush ride [:D].

Got my hands on a 2006 Esteem and sharpened my driving skills on it. The purpose having been solved, the Esteem was transported to Odisha by-road (1450 kms), and now is being used at home by my Dad.

I decided on buying a new hatchback for my small family, however, as I was almost certain to change states within a year, I decided to not go for a new car as I will have to pay road tax again in the new state and getting a refund from Mumbai would be a pain in the backside.

So, it had to be a pre-loved hatch this time around. I checked out a few Wagon-R, Swift and Getz but none of them were good enough to keep for at-least 3-4 years. On a lazy Friday afternoon in office, while browsing through the classifieds on various websites, I came across a quite well maintained Chevrolet Spark PS 1.0, registered on Nov 2007 with 31000 kms on the ODO on BHP. I immediately contacted the seller and fixed up a meeting over the weekend to go and have a quick spin.

I had always liked the Spark for it's build and stability on rough patches, and boy this car was lovely to drive. Quite poised, agile, quiet and soaking in the bumps, potholes and undulations of the road(no one knows to build a smooth road). The icing on the cake was that the 2007 model comes with grey dashboard and hence doesn't have the issue of the reflection from the beige dash on the windsheild.

Well, I had found my new ride, the deal was done, payment formalities completed and I got my hands on this black beauty on 21st May, a day before my birthday. A nice present to gift yourself, I must say [;)].

IMG_20130602_185509.jpg

IMG_20130602_185810.jpg

Initial Ownership Impressions :-

> Exteriors and Design:
The car is in a good condition, spare a few dents here and there (On the bonnet, near the Chevy logo), a small hole in the bumper, minor dent on the right fender, everything else is good. The car needs some polishing and waxing which will be done in a while.

> Interiors and Features:
The car though small from outside is quite spacious inside and can seat 4 adults very comfortably(fifth would be a squeeze). The seats offer decent comfort level.One needs to get used to the center mounted console, although it is a boon that the indicator lights are in front of the driver. The boot is really tiny and is good for only shopping bags or a weekend trip.There is no creaking/rattling sounds anywhere and this is one solidly built and well maintained car.

> Engine and Performance:
The 995CC 4 cylinder unit doing duty under the hood is one of the most silent engines ever. Its so silent that one tends to re-crank the engine. (have done this twice already). Acceleration is linear and is really fun to drive in the city. The front disks and rear drums are one of the best braking systems in it's class and stops the car in its tracks. I need to get used to the brakes and brake gently. The clutch is very light and gear shifts are smooth and slot perfectly making it a pleasure to drive.

> Ride and Handling:
The car is very stable on the roads considering its size. It soaks in almost all the minor bumps and has the best suspension in the class. NVH levels are the least for a car in its class. It has a EPAS but is quite weighted and offers good feedback. The turning radius being just 4.5m, the car is really very good to manoeveure around small roads and sharp turns. Its is fun to drive in the city and easily touches triple digits on the highway, though it is advised not to push Spark beyond the 100 Kmph mark.

Good bits:
  • Very low NVH
  • Easy to drive
  • Quite spacious
  • Good all around visibility, the quarter glass helps a lot
  • Very big ORVM's offer good visibility.
  • Solid build quality
  • Good ride over bad roads
  • No need to open the boot for building security guards, according to them "Bahar se sab kuch dikhta hai".
Not so good bits:
  • Driver side footwell is not very spacious, the dash touches the knee (Although a good place to rest the knee when not operating the clutch)
  • Light stalk on the left and wiper on the right takes time getting used to
  • Tiny boot, is expected with a car of its size
  • Accelerator offers very little feedback. This along with a silent cabin and missing RPM meter, makes it difficult for new drivers to gauge the amount of accelerator applied.

Accessorising Sparky:-

The car being the low-end model needs a few accessories. The process of converting Spark PS to Spark LT has begun. The items on my list are as below
  1. LHS ORVM - Spark PS does not come with it and I am not sure how he drove in Mumbai traffic without that
  2. Front power windows
  3. Central locking with remote (doesn't even have manual central locking)
  4. Sony DSX-A30 HU
  5. Soundtrak 350W Oval speakers in separate boxes at the back (removable in case I need luggage space)
  6. Soundtrak 120W 4" components in the front
  7. Antenna
  8. Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8GB (hideaway pen drive, actually should be called nail drive)
  9. Pair of Philips XtremeVision
  10. Jopusa duster set
  11. Car cover
  12. Wheel covers, it looks naked without it
  13. Car mobile charger
  14. Steering cover
  15. Neck pillow
  16. And finally a nice wax polish and interior cleaning

Cost:-
Cost of Car : 1,40,000
Total cost of accessories + fitting : 18,436
Final Cost: 1,58,436

PS: More pics to follow right after the accessorizing and polishing is complete

Last edited:
Congrats on the car! It's really a fantastic car to own! I have a doubt regarding the positioning of the ABC pedals. I heard it's not placed properly. Is that true? Did you have any problem regarding the same?

Thread Starter #4
Congrats on the car! It's really a fantastic car to own! I have a doubt regarding the positioning of the ABC pedals. I heard it's not placed properly. Is that true? Did you have any problem regarding the same?
It's a bit high, just need to get used to it

Thread Starter #7
Thanks guys.

A short update:

All accessories fitting completed today and car has been given to mechanic for
> Full service
> Interior cleaning
> Paint wheel rims black
> Fix minor dents on bonnet, right fender and right rear door.
> Remove all minor scratches by rubbing, followed by wax polish

Will get car tomorrow.

Thread Starter #8
Servicing completed. The following items were changed

Engine oil change ( Had not been changed since a year)
Oil filter replaced
Radiator flushed and coolant replaced
Coolant reservoir tank cleaned
Throttle body cleaned
Brake lining cleaned

Thread Starter #9
Interior pics that had been pending since a long time

Sony DSX-A30 HU
IMG_20130629_133942.jpg

Soundtrak 350W Oval speakers in separate boxes at the back
IMG_20130629_122046.jpg

Central locking
IMG_20130629_135352.jpg

Power windows
IMG_20130629_134051.jpg

Steering cover
IMG_20130629_134105.jpg

Dash and mobile charger
IMG_20130629_133955.jpg

Thread Starter #10
Went to 3M car care today to get anti-rust coating done. After reaching there, decided to get a foam wash and vacuuming done.
Here are the pics. (Didn't take pics of the car before it was washed).

Car being foam washed
IMG_20130629_111317.jpg

Anti rust coat being applied
IMG_20130629_113943.jpg

Squeaky clean tires after the wash
IMG_20130629_113344.jpg
IMG_20130629_113349.jpg

At 3M after the wash

IMG_20130629_123157.jpg
IMG_20130629_123221.jpg
IMG_20130629_123241.jpg
IMG_20130629_123452.jpg

At home
IMG_20130629_133728.jpg
IMG_20130629_133747.jpg
IMG_20130629_133805.jpg
IMG_20130629_133911.jpg
IMG_20130629_134659.jpg

Drive Safe!
IMG_20130629_134718.jpg

Superb review buddy. [clap]

Few questions:
Since you too stay in the same area as me, which 3M car care is the closest ?
Hows the HU and speakers ? Good enough? Can you give me a break up of the costing, as I'm planning to have an ICE fitted soon.

Thread Starter #12
I went to 3M Borivali W.
I am happy with the sound. You can can check it out any time.
The HU came for 3200 from Snapdeal and 4 speakers for 2500 from Opera House.

Suku, Fantastic review about your black sparky.

I love black colors especially cars, But due to some bad sentiments [To explain I need to go to my childhood days[;)]] I don't want to get one.

And it is really good for 7 years old Car. It was decently maintained [ignore those scratches and dents] and you made it as brand new car with wash/polishing/waxing and new accessories.

Nice to see your car.

BTW, How much 3m charges for wash?

Top Bottom