P3T3R's Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI Elegance Prestige

Thread Starter #1
As I had mentioned in the Ford Figo ownership thread, I was thinking about replacing the i10 for a while since we were doing a lot of driving and a Diesel was required. I had already checked out the alternatives but didn’t buy a car as the resale on the i10 was pathetic. However I did end up picking up the Figo for my sister.

Selection Process
Now the dealers of the cars we didn’t buy kept calling inquiring whether we were interested and with offers etc. We still needed a replacement for the i10. The car was trouble free and nice to drive in the city. However it was a pain on the highway. Firstly the lack of power, then the horrible handling and finally the not so great fuel economy. My wife kept changing her mind whether she needed a new car or not. Finally I took the decision for her. If we get a decent price (at least 3 Lakhs) for the i10 we will sell it and buy a Diesel Hatch.

A small recap of the Test Drives / Selection of the Diesel Hatches:

Maruti Suzuki Swift: Rejected without a TD. Reason, it was a Maruti and I hate Maruti. Verdict: Rejected

Maruti Suzuki Ritz: Don’t even want to look at it, let alone TD it. Verdict: Rejected

Toyota Etios Liva: The exterior (sides & rear) look quite nice. The front, I can live with. The drive was nice. I actually enjoyed the handling. But the interiors were just yuck. Also at the price it was just not worth it. Verdict: Rejected

Hyundai i20: Didn’t want another Hyundai just because of the handling. Besides the i20 isn’t really VFM. Verdict: Rejected

Tata Incica Vista: Wife said no. Besides I had TD’d it a year ago and was not impressed with the handling. Verdict: Rejected

Fiat Punto: My favourite hatch. Was on top of my list. I had driven all variants (engine) of this car. I was willing to live with all it’s negatives just for it’s handling and Fun to Drive factor. Verdict: Shortlisted

VW Polo: My brother has a TDI HL. So didn’t need a TD. I had driven his car. Verdict: Shortlisted

Skoda Fabia: Nice car. Not the best handler, but a nice comfortable car. Aslo was already dreaming of giving it a VRS look. Verdict: Shortlisted

Nissan Micra: Again a nice car. Proven engine but nothing special about the car. Verdict: Shortlisted

Renault Pulse: The dealer in Goa was the same guy who owns the Suzuki (Bikes) and Vespa showrooms. He has a reputation of cheating customers by overcharging. I actually liked the car but then this was just a Rebadged. Verdict: Shortlisted

Ford Figo: Comfortable car, good handler but quite underpowered and dated design. I had just picked up one for my sister so didn’t want another. Besides my wife was not impressed with the interiors. Verdict: Rejected

Chevrolet Sail UVA: Somehow this car did not excite me. Did not like the finish. Verdict: Rejected

Meanwhile I had also checked out a few sedans:

Fiat Linea: Except the front, my wife liked the overall look of the car. Factors which went against it. It was too big (considering this was to be the i10 replacement). I am anyway planning to buy a big car so this car had to be small. Then there was the 1.3 engine. Though it is great we wanted a bit more power. Then the discounts was not that great. Verdict: Rejected

Ford Classic (Old Fiesta): I had TD’d the car during my visits to the Ford showroom for my sisters Figo. Brilliant handler, decent power and quite comfortable. Much more VFM compared than the New Fiesta. Verdict: Shortlisted

Volkswagen Vento: No TD car was available. Caculo Group (who had the Ford, Honda, VW & JCB dealerships in Goa) had just lost the VW dealership. Of course the HR manager for all 4 dealerships who happens to be a good friend claims they gave it up because they didn’t see any future for VW in India. I still pull her leg about it everytime I meet her. The new dealer was operating from the same premises and they could only show me the display car. They promised to get back to me (which they did 2 days ago). A friend owns a Vento so I had tried it out. Verdict: Shortlisted

Skoda Rapid: By now I guess you all know that this is a Vento with a Fabia nose and that it is more VFM and the suspension is supposedly better and all the other blah blah written by the Toons on their forum. Anyway they did have a TD vehicle and I did take a TD and I liked it. Verdict: Shortlisted

Chevrolet Sail: Just like the UVA this car did not excite me. Did not like the finish. Verdict: Rejected

Nissan Sunny: I don’t have a driver nor do I intend employing one soon. So the lovely back seat is useless to me. Besides we needed a driving pleasure which is clearly missing in the Sunny. I would have considered it if I needed a “Beater” car. Verdict: Rejected

Renault Scala: A rebadged Sunny. The back looks worse than the Sunny whereas the front looks better. Then there was the dealer issue. Verdict: Rejected

Tata Manza: Again an excellent car if you have a driver. The interiors are actually quite nice and the entire package is VFM. Wife just did not like the looks. Verdict: Rejected

Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire: Haha. Verdict: Rejected

We went through all the shortlisted cars, compared specs, prices, discounts etc. Somehow we were leaning towards the Fabia. So we paid a visit to the Skoda showroom for a TD (for my wife). I had already spoken to the SA Colin earlier and he had kept the Fabia ready. But it was the petrol model. I told he that we were interested in the Diesel. He quickly arranged the Diesel Fabia. The car ticked all the right boxes. My wife really liked the car. But during the drive she found the car a bit underpowered. The SA suggested we try out the Rapid. Now the Diesel was not available so we had to come to the showroom again. Again the SA was quite eager to sell us a Petrol Car. The showroom is located in a village on the outskirts of Margao town. This village has a large number of seafarers. They always buy Petrol cars. So the SA couldn’t figure out why I needed a Diesel. Anyway once I told him he quickly changed his focus towards the Diesels. After the TD of the Rapid my wife liked it. She said it was the perfect car for her. Another factor which tilted the balance in favour of the Rapid was the ridiculous pricing of the Fabia.
Prices:
Fabia 1.2 TDI Elegance: Rs. 839736/- OTR
Rapid 1.6 TDI Elegance: Rs. 1105483/- OTR
I was offered discounts of around 40K on either car. The difference in price between the 2 was Rs. 265747/-. Then the dealer offered a Red 2012 Elegance for Rs. 965000/- OTR. The difference was now Rs. 165264/-. Now it made even more sense to pick up the Rapid. But then let us not forget the Ford Classic. The Titanium Variant was priced at Rs. 950000/- OTR and with discounts it was coming to around Rs.900000/- OTR. Overall a decent deal but the dealer was not budging on more discounts. So the Rapid was the better deal here.
Skoda has 2 dealers in Goa. Avelar Motors was the original dealer when the Octavia was launched. Avelar was actually quite famous for his restoration of VW Beetle’s in Goa and the dealership was a reward from VW for his work. In fact Avelar Motors was India’s first Skoda dealer. Yes, you read it right “India’s first Skoda dealer”. A few years ago Priority Auto was appointed as the 2nd Dealer in Goa. All this while I had been dealing with Priority Auto, so I decided to give Avelar a call and check what they were offering. They said they have no 2012 models in stock. The deal on the 2013 models was the same as Priority. They however passed on my number to a finance guy who happened to an old friend of mine. He immediately called me up. I told him about the offers from Priority. He told me that they had a Black 2012 Rapid but the cheque for the booking had bounced. He said they could give me a “Fabulous Deal” on that car. I am still waiting for that “Fabulous Deal”.
Then after a few days Avelar gives me a call to let me know about the “Prestige Edition”. This was basically an Elegance with the following extras:
1) TomTom Navigation System
2) Rear Parking Sensors
3) Wind Visors,
4) Floor Mats ( Textile)
5) Product badge 'Prestige'
OTR Price Rs.1006946/- with Skoda Shield.
Priority called the next day with almost the same offer. The offer was for 10 days only. Then on the Auspicious Day of “Akshaya Tritiya”, the corrupt Govt. Of Goa decided to increase the Road Tax from 7% to 9%. The revised price was now Rs.10,19,150/- OTR. The Goa CM had just presented the state budget some time back. Road tax was increasing from 7% to 10% from 1st April (Not an April Fools Joke) but was implemented late.

Thread Starter #2
Sale of the i10 and Booking the Rapid
10 days had elapsed but the dealer said he could still give me the Prestige. I said I am willing to book only if I can sell the i10. I had already advertised it and had a few offers, the best being 3L. I had advertised for 3.55L but was willing to settle for 3.25L. Finally the SA called me up on the 8th and said he was coming over with someone to evaluate the car. He arrived along with a guy from Maruti True Value and his manager (Ex-Maruti). The True Value guy did a detailed inspection of the car. So detailed that I was getting fed up. He also took a TD. I did not accompany him as he was known to me. He finally gave a quote of 3.20L. I gave the typical dissatisfied reaction and told him that the car had a lot of extras and if I was not getting a fair price, I would remove everything. I had initially made it clear that the ICE was anyway coming out. I now said that I will remove the Alloys, HID’s, Fog Lamps and the Windscreen filming since according to True Value these extras do not add any value to the car. He however would not budge on the price. I then turned to the Skoda guys and told them that I would sell the car at this price if they gave me something better on the Prestige deal. Finally the agreed for a Full Tank of Diesel and Seat covers at cost price. I told them the tank will get consumed in 2 days and the seat covers are anyway overpriced at 10K (they were willing to give at 9K). Finally I made the booking by paying 50K. I opted for the zero dep insurance and extended warranty which brought the price up to Rs.10,26,213/-. I had still not factored in the NCB discount. I had a NCB letter for 25% from my wife’s Alto so I gave it to them and told them the register the car in my wife’s name. The Bajaj Allianz guys somehow could not understand the NCB letter. It stated that the letter was valid for 3 months if the car was not sold or 3 years if sold. Now I had sold the Alto. So I sent them a copy of the RC book showing the transfer to the new owner. They also asked me on which car did I earn the NCB. I told them it does not matter to you. You can earn the NCB on a Maruti 800 and then claim the discount on a Ferrari. Finally they agreed. A few days later the SA SMS’d me the revised price taking into consideration the NCB. The final price was Rs.1002287/-.

Loan
Loan? A car is a depreciating asset, blah blah blah...... Read GaTtOo’s thread about it. Well I had my reasons:
- Corporation Bank was offering a loan upto 7 years for 10.45%.
- I have been banning with them for many years so didn’t bother with SBI even thought it was marginally cheaper.
- I had just taken a housing loan and the bank had most of the paperwork with them.
- The housing loan was at a higher rate so it made sense to take the car loan and deposit money into the housing loan.
- Wife wants to keep the car for 7 years so I won’t be making any pre-payments on the car loan. Otherwise I may be tempted to sell and buy something else.
Ok so I put in the papers for the loan before finalising the car. Once the booking was done, I told them to process it. They said 2 days. I had to go to Mumbai for a seminar so nothing much could be done. On the 18th the bank said there was some issue with my wife's credit card. Which card they asked. ICICI, I said. OK no problem just give us a letter that all dues are settled. I quickly e-mailed them the same. Next they said my employment contract has expired. I explained that new contracts are only issued on the day of joining. They said a deviation report needs to be made. The Bank rules clearly state "Valid Contract". So in the case of seafarers they have to apply for "Deviation" from this rule. The Bank did this and the Manager showed me the letter. I checked and the report was done. So all clear for sanctioning the loan. But the person to sign the sanction letter in the Zonal office is on leave. So it could only be done on Monday. But on Monday the Branch Manager was on leave. I said that I will collect the documents from the Zonal office and bring to the branch. Manager said ok. Now to realease the draft they need 2 signatures from the branch. Manager and one Officer. Officer was on leave but she will return on the next Monday. Finally I got the draft on the 22nd. Immediately gave it to the Dealer. The boy who does the registration was on leave on the 23rd. So finally the registration delivery was done on the 24th.

PDI
Immediately after booking the car, I asked for a PDI. The SA readily agreed and called up the stockyard in Panjim. I went for the PDI on the 9th. On the way I crossed all the Ecosports out for the media drive. I reached the Panjim dealership (main). I had to wait a while as the staff had not come in. Finally we were driven to the stockyard in a Red Rapid MPI. While waiting I spotted a Black Rapid with the new logos and alloys. At the stockyard there were many more Rapids and Fabia’s with the new logos. All of them were petrol models. Anyway I was shown the car. It was straight from the truck. 5Km on the odo. The car was still not prepped. It was an ordinary Elegance without the Prestige kit. Car was full of dust. Did whatever I could of the PDI and left the rest for the delivery day.

Delivery
I had already agreed with True Value that I would hand over the i10 only when the Rapid was delivered. As soon as I got a call from the SA, I went and picked up the True Value guy and drove to the Skoda showroom. The first thing he said was “why have you removed the stereo?” My wife immediately pounced on him and told him that it was a part of the deal that the ICE would be removed. I also told him that I have not removed the Alloys, HID’s and Fogs even though I said I would. We arrived shortly at the showroom and were greeted by the SA. I told him to explain the features to my wife. I did the i10 paperwork in the meantime. After that we did the Rapid paperwork where the SA explained about the servicing etc. (more on the SA in a separate section). After that we were given a feed back form. We had already decide to pull the SA’s leg a bit. I had told my wife to ask him for the free Pressure Cooker but she decided against that as she could not maintain a serious face. She however said that we were displeased that we were not even offered a glass of water when we came for the TD. We were however asked if we’d like anything when we came for the delivery. Anyway we completed the paperwork and I completed the PDI. We then took some photos and drove off. They was no “Delivery Ceremony” like Ford, Hyundai & Maruti. The number plates were not ready so we had to drive with the number pasted on the front and rear glass. The full Diesel tank was not done, but we were told to collect a coupon for the same in a few days.

Blessing, Showing it to family and a drive
Took the car straight to Don Boscos and requested the priest to bless the car. He readily obliged. He said prayers for us, other road users etc and then sprinkled Holy water on the car. From there we drove to the Damodar Temple but the Bhat was not there. We then went to my In Laws place and showed them the car. From there we drove to my Mom’s place and then for some dinner.

Photos
Please bear with me. I am in the process of sorting them out and resizing. Will be posted shortly. Mods please move them to this post when they are uploaded.

Peter what a detailed and exhaustive review buddy .

Waiting for the pics man a white skoda is something what we call " CLASS APART "

Enjoy the ride and wish you many many happy miles with it . Congratulations .

Congratulations for the car!
A detailed and a majestic review is what i see here.Really good.And yeah waiting for the pictures!
And something in detail why you chose the Rapid over the Vento,that would help potential customers select their choice.

Peter, congratulations on your new Rapid mate, looks awesome in white.This surely is a better deal over vento with better pricing and suspention setup.
Wish you many happy miles with it and awaiting the sets of pictues.

+100,vijay

yes I always felt Rapid is better than Vento anytime
May be it is too early to ask@peter let us know the steering and brakes experience in Rapid

Thread Starter #10
Congratulations .
Congratulations for the car!
Congrats for the new "Skoda" Peter !!
Congrats on your Skoda Rapid.Nice review,waiting for pictures!
Congratulations my dear friend. Awaiting pics :D
Peter, congratulations on your new Rapid mate, looks awesome in white.
Thanks everyone.

This surely is a better deal over vento with better pricing and suspention setup.
yes I always felt Rapid is better than Vento anytime
May be it is too early to ask@peter let us know the steering and brakes experience in Rapid
The suspension is identical. Both cars come from the same plant. Why would they spend extra on a different suspension set up. The Rapid is just a Vento with a Fabia front, steering wheel and gear leaver. The Boot and rear bumper are mildly modified from the Vento. Other than that there is no difference. OK the stereo is better on the Vento and it come with parking sensors. Steering and brakes are really good

And something in detail why you chose the Rapid over the Vento,that would help potential customers select their choice.
Simple. Price. The only features I'm missing are steering controls, BT and USB on the stereo. Besides I was not happy with the un-enthuasiastic response from the VW dealer for a TD. Just imagine what will happen after the purchase.

Congratulations on your new Rapid buddy[clap].

And what a nice, crisp and detail review. Rapid attracts me mostly in white, so waiting for some great pics.

Congratulations Buddy. Long list of contenders there and Rapid came on top. Interestingly 3 of the cars( Figo, i20, Swift) which i owned were rejected by you. [:)]

Anyway Rapid is an Excellent car, i own one currently and it is Value for Money pick in its segment.

Top Bottom